Dreams of Destiny Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When they had finally come together it had been with hot steamy passion in his big bed in the house he kept in the city. She’d moved her belongings into the house the next day. He’d been pleased by the living arrangement.

They had had four very happy years. Juan had been getting ready to make a commitment. He was starting to want permanency and children when things began to change.

He started to suspect that Nicky was using a line or two of cocaine to get through the evening shows at the casino. He’d tried to talk to her about it but she’d brushed him off.

Then she’d caught a cold and lost her voice for a week. She was frantic. “This is what it’ll be like when I get old” she’d said, crying. “I won’t be able to sing. I won’t be pretty anymore. I won’t be able to take care of myself. No one will ever have even heard of me.”

Juan tried to talk to Nicky about settling down. She wouldn’t hear of it. No, she said,” with a determined tilt to her chin. “I need exposure. I need to have my voice heard.”

Nicky went back to work at the casino and kept ridiculous hours. She cut a sample CD of her best songs, that was really pretty good. She got a nibble from a talent agency. She didn’t know it was one of Juan’s brother’s enterprises. Esteban carefully and calculatedly drew Nicky into his net.

Juan had been unaware of what was happening. He’d become sickened by Nicky’s budding narcissism and had resolutely stuck his head into the sand. Later he was sorry he’d been so blind.

One morning Nicky came home from the casino particularly wired. “I have a singing tour all worked out,” she told Juan excitedly.

“What?” he asked, groggy with sleep.

“I’m going on tour, Juan. I’m leaving next week. I’m going to sing in Vegas and LA and...”

“Where on earth did this come from?” Juan asked, surprised. “Can we talk about it?”

“No,” Nicky said, firmly. “You don’t want me to succeed. You’ve made that plain to me. You haven’t been paying the tiniest bit of attention to my career. My agent said...”

“Since when do you have an agent?” Juan wanted to know.

“I told you two weeks ago. You didn’t listen, just like I said.”

“Who’s your agent,” Juan asked with a sinking feeling in his gut.

“Lisa Morales,” Nicky answered. You know her. She has red hair. She lives on the other side of the island.”

“Yes.,” Juan’s voice cut like a knife. “She’s a charming little predator who’s attached herself to my brother Esteban. Is that not correct?” he asked coldly.

“Well, she sees Esteban, yes, when he’s in town. But that doesn’t have anything to do about this. Esteban’s hardly ever in town anyway. You see to that, don’t you?”

Nicky was pissed off. “You think everything revolves around you, Juan. My getting this tour has nothing to do with you and Esteban. Its just a coincidence that my agent happens to be seeing your brother.

“Yeah, sure,” Juan said.And donkeys fly, he muttered sourly under his breath. Once again his brother had managed to insinuate himself into Juan’s happiness.

“Nicky, “ Juan said, very slowly and calmly, “How much do you want this tour?”

“I want it with all my being,” Nicky said, her blue eyes wide and shining like stars.

“Dias,” Juan sighed. “I should have seen this coming. Do you realize that if you go on this tour Esteban will own you, body and soul.”

“That’s just not true, Juan Rodriguez,” Nicky cried, stung. “Lisa likes my voice and says my CD could go places in the States if I get enough exposure.”

“And who is putting up the money for the tour,” Juan asked acidly.

“It’s a business consortium,” Nicky said,” “Lisa know some people who like to invest in new talent. They think I could be a hot property.” Nicky was so caught up in the fairy tale that she couldn’t see what was plain as day to Juan.

“Nicky, if you do this, there’s no going back,” Juan said resignedly. “I won’t have you living here all caught up in some venture of Esteban’s.” I don’t touch anything that has the slightest stink of Esteban Rodriguez.”

“I just don’t understand you, Juan,” Nicky said sadly. “Esteban’s not so bad.” “”Its not like he’s an ax murderer or something. You should get over your childhood grudge and take a look at the man. He’s charming, he’s successful, he’s generous, and he’s going places.”

“How do you know all this,” Juan asked harshly, “I’ve never introduced you to him.”

“Well, er, Our paths have crossed from time to time. More lately. He’s interested in my career.”

“You don’t know shit,” Juan growled. “He’s a snake. I have nothing to do with him. If’ I’d known you’d been slumming with him I’d have booted you right out the door. What else is he interested in,” Juan asked coldly. Your legs, your breasts, your baby blue eyes? Have you slept with him?”

“No, of course not, he hasn’t asked...”OOPS she thought.

“He hasn’t asked?! Juan roared. “You insidious little bitch! Get your things and get out, just get out.” Juan couldn’t believe that the four year relationship had meant so little to Nicky.God save me from ambitious women, Juan though morosely.

“Juan, you can’t mean that,” Nicky pleaded. “Just out? Its over? Just like that? Just because I had a few conversations with your brother.”

“He’s not my brother. And you knew all along how I felt about him. Yet you let him into our life without a thought. And now you want to go spread your wings as a professional singer? Go ahead. But don’t come crying to me when the wind fails to fill your sails. Betrayal is not something I can swallow.”

“But I haven’t betrayed you,” Nicky was crying. “We didn’t do anything. We just talked about my career.”

Juan wouldn’t listen. He couldn’t look at her. He was hurt to his very soul. He dressed in running clothes slowly like an old man. Sunlight was just beginning to edge its way over the horizon.Why is it such a beautiful morning? Juan asked bitterly. It should be storming.

As he left the townhouse for a run in the early dawn, Juan told Nicky to pack as much of her things as possible while he was gone. “Your agent should be able to find you a place without any trouble,” he said sourly. After all, you’re a hot property.” Leave the keys to the house and the car on the coffee table on your way out.

He left the town house at a sprint. He forced all if his rage and hurt into his pumping legs, his arms. His breath was ragged. He wanted to bellow in his pain but could not. He wanted to weep, but would not. He thought he was angry enough to kill. So he ran. He ran for two hours without break. The even thudding of his footfall and his beating heart began to calm him, bring him back to reason. As always the rush of the ocean soothed him. He began to think about his future which was now so different that what he had been planning.

What about a stable home, he wondered,what about kids? I thought I was ready. And now there is no one. GOD DAMN ITEsteban, he thought.

And then there had been the final blow. Nicky had been gone when he returned to the town house. Juan had gone about his duties that day numbly, feeling like an amputee. He’d gone to bed, alone and been awakened from a sweet, untroubled dream in the middle of the night.

There had been a car accident. Nicky had been in a little MGB with his brother, Juan. They’d missed a turn and the car had careened at top speed off a cliff at the other side of the island not far from where Esteban lived. Nicky was dead. Esteban had walked away from the accident with barely a scratch.

Juan had wanted to kill Esteban that night. He’d gotten into his car with his gun after the phone call and headed towards Esteban’s home with every intention of putting a bullet through Esteban’s head. But cold reason had stopped him. Killing Esteban now would ruin his life, what was left of it, he thought bitterly. Esteban would win, even in death. That’s not how its supposed to be, Juan realized with sudden insight. There are stronger forces at play here than childhood grudges. Juan made a fast turn in his vehicle and headed towards the President’s mansion.

President Rodriguez was awake when Juan arrived. Juan poured out his soul to the older man. He drank most of a bottle of scotch, his uncle matching him drink for drink. The two men talked for hours. Juan ended up sobbing out his misery over Nicky’s sad demise. His rage against his brother became a steel wrapping around his heart. The president and Juan played a long, intricate game of chess as the sun rose over the island. Juan managed to force a draw at the end of the game. Then, with an aching head he settled himself down for a bit of sleep on his uncle’s rattan before going back on duty. He knew he wouldn’t confront Esteban yet. But a reckoning was coming. Oh yes, Juan thought as he slipped into sleep. The day will come you bastard, and I will put things to right. He finally slept...

Chapter XXI

“ Tell me about yourself,” Colonel Rodriguez said as the waiter left to put in their food order. “Where are you from? What brings you to San Angeles Island?”

Destiny told Rodriguez about her life as a government attorney, omitting talk about her relationship with Nathan. She told him about winning the air fare and being steered to San Angeles Island instead of the Bahamas and exclaimed at how beautiful the island was. Destiny asked Rodriguez about himself.

Their appetizer arrived. There were lovely prawns broiled in butter with spices and lemon grass. Then came the wine. Juan sniffed the cork and sampled the vintage expertly, nodding to the waiter to fill their glasses. Destiny and the Colonel made short work of the shrimp, licking their fingers like children when the were done. They sipped their wine. The restaurant was starting to fill up with tourists and with local residences. There was a cheery hustle and bustle going on around them.

Juan started to tell Destiny a little about his job and the politics of the island.

Juan buttered a piece of fresh, crispy bread and fed it to Destiny. It was subtly flavored with herbs from the restaurant’s garden. Destiny’s senses were humming.

Their main courses arrived. For Destiny, Juan had ordered a special platter of the islands specialties that wasn’t on the menu. Juan had a grilled swordfish steak.. The local rice dish was served with both meals. There was an unusual artichoke salad.

The couple took their time and savored the meal. The wine soothed Destiny’s frazzled nerves. Juan relaxed and laughed at the amusing tales Destiny told about bureaucracy in Washington, DC. Island music played softly in the background. The lights were dimmed and candles were lit. Destiny and Juan chatted about their homes and there careers. Late afternoon became early evening. The pair felt irretrievably drawn to each other.

Esteban Rodriguez sat at the bar and stared at them.How in hell did they hook up? That wasn’t supposed to happen. He was furious. He had made his plans and he didn’t want anything to get in his way. It was already 8:15 p.m. Destiny was supposed to make her delivery at 9:00. Had she forgotten?What should I do? he wondered in frustration.Break them up, he decided.

Esteban strode across the floor of the restaurant and came to a stop in front of Destiny and Juan’s table. “Good evening, brother,” Esteban said with a slight bow towards Destiny.

Juan froze. Destiny’s mouth dropped open in surprise.Oh, Christ, its HIM. Its Stephen!

“Who is the lovely lady you are sporting tonight? I don’t believe I’ve had the pleasure of meeting her,” he asked.

“This is Destiny,” Juan said with ill grace. “Destiny, Major Esteban Rodriguez.”

Juan stared hard at Esteban. “We were just getting ready to leave. Sorry, I have no time to stop and chat, Major,” Juan said. “Let’s go Destiny.” Juan flagged down the waiter and pulled out his wallet.

Nonplused, Destiny started to collect herself.How did he get here? Destiny wondered.

“Oh no,” said Esteban, “not so fast. I’d like to get to know who my brother is walking out with.”

Juan pushed by Esteban, with Destiny’s arm firmly clasped in his hand. He threw some notes at the waiter on his way out. Juan quickly led Destiny out of the restaurant and to the elevator . “I thought they didn’t allow animals into this restaurant,” Juan muttered angrily on the way out. Esteban’s laughter floated along after them.

“Who was that?” Destiny asked, scared to her toes.

“You don’t really want to know,” Juan sighed. “That was my bastard little brother who delights in bringing me displeasure. It is nothing.”

The elevator bell dinged and the door opened.

They stepped onto the elevator. “I’ll see you to your room.”

They were silent on their way up. Juan walked Destiny to her hotel room door.

“I’d like to see you again,” Juan said to Destiny as she slid the card over the key pad. He reached out and grasped her upper arms. He looked into her eyes. “I haven’t ...” His voice trailed off. He pulled her to him and kissed her long and firmly. His tongue searched her mouth. She responded with heat, need, desire. She opened to him. The moment stretched on forever. It was over in a heart beat.

“I must go,” he said. “I have work... But I will see you. I promise you that.”

Destiny gave up the kiss with a half-sob. “I would like to see you, too,” she responded., startled by the strength of her reaction to the kiss. “I would like that very much.” She opened her hotel door and turned, bidding him good night.

She walked into her room with a dazed smile on her face.God. So that’s what I’ve been missing all these years. I thought it was only true in dreams and fantasies. She looked at her watch. 8:35.Oh my God, she thought in a panic. I still have to deliver those documents. Maybe I should just forget about it. As if in answer to her thoughts her cell phone rang. “Hello?” Destiny asked with a sinking feeling in her stomach. “You are going to deliver my letters aren’t you?” asked the voice she had heard earlier. Its so important to me, and such a little favor.”

“Well, I guess,” Destiny said reluctantly. Are you sure you can’t just come here and pick them up tomorrow morning. I’m really kind of beat tonight.”

“No. Just come to the store. Its only a mile away. I’m not nearly as mobile as you are sweetheart,” the voice said.

“All right. I’m on my way.”

Destiny didn’t bother to change her outfit but put on a pair of running shoes.Its only a mile, she told herself,and it’s a nice, balmy night for a walk.

Colonel Rodriguez hadn’t left the hotel after dropping Destiny at her door. Instead he decided to do a little surveillance of the tourists. Besides, it was early and he wasn’t tired. And he was more jarred up by the appearance of his brother than he liked to admit. He’d though the little snake was attending business off the island.I wonder what he was doing here, tonight? Colonel Rodriguez stepped out of the front entrance to light a long- awaited cigar. He breathed the smoke in with great satisfaction. He lounged like a cat against a white pillar in the moonlight. He was startled to see Destiny coming out of the elevator and heading towards the hotel exit.

I wonder what she’s about, he thought as he watched her approaching.I thought she was safely tucked in for the night. I hope she isn’t playing some absurd spy game. She’s not the type. He didn’t want to admit it to himself, but he had been hoping that Destiny was exactly what she appeared to be.

He stepped back into the shadows as she approached the front door. She glanced at her watch. Opened the door, looked right and then left, squared her shoulders, and headed out in the direction of the city.

So you’re not going for a moonlight stroll on the beach. What are you up to? he wondered. He decided to follow her.

Destiny strode purposefully through the night, unaware that she was being followed. She just wanted to be done with the damn business. Get to the store, make the contact, go back to the hotel and sleep for a good, long time.

She got to the store just at 9:00. What she didn’t realize was that her contact had seen the Colonel shadowing her and decided not to make the pickup.It would have to be rescheduled, he thought angrily.

Destiny went inside the little store. She walked around in growing frustration. No one approached her. The clerk was looking at her curiously. She decided she’d better buy an item that looked like a late night urgent matter. She picked up a package of Maxi-pads.There’s a good reason for walking a mile in a strange city after dark, Destiny thought to herself. She could thing of no reason to stay at the store any longer.What a pain in the ass. I’m going to throw this package away, better yet, burn it, when I get back to the hotel she thought with determination.

As she turned around to walk out of the store she bumped headlong into Colonel Rodriguez. “Oh no, not again,,” she laughed ruefully. You must think I’m a linebacker for the Redskins.”

“Hardly a linebacker,” he responded dryly. “You do seem to have a very purposeful way about you, but it takes more than a little push to knock me off balance. What are you doing here, anyway? I thought you were in for the night.”

“I didn’t know there was a curfew, colonel,” Destiny said, going on the offensive.

“No, of course not. There is no curfew. I’m just surprised to see you out here at this hour is all.”

“Well, there was an item I needed that couldn’t wait until morning.” Destiny said. The desk clerk told me this store stayed open until 11:00 so I decided to take a walk.”

“So I see. Will you be heading to the hotel now, or is there any other place you might like to go tonight? I would be happy to accompany you,” Colonel Rodriguez offered.

“I’m headed to the hotel. Its just a short walk. There’s no need to trouble yourself, Colonel. Your wife must be anxiously awaiting your return,” Destiny said, digging unabashedly.

“Its no trouble. And there’s no wife,” he responded, amused. They started to walk in a leisurely pace towards the hotel.

“No girlfriend to pout at you?” she asked, surprised at her boldness.

“No. Just a couple of cranky old cats to complain about my waywardness.

“Ah Hah, an animal lover, I knew you were a softie beneath those impressive buttons and medals.”

“No one has ever dared to mistake me for a softie,” the colonel said with a smile.

“Are you that impressive?” Destiny asked. “Yes,” she answered her own question. But I’ll bet you like to play, too.”

“Play?” Colonel Rodriguez asked, “what is that? It has been a long time since I’ve played.”

“Well then,” Destiny said, “you should make some time to play. At least one hour per week.”

“But if I did that,” Rodriguez demurred, “the whole world would come crashing down around our heads. Or at the very least, the island would cease to exist.”

Destiny took a deep breath of the amazing sea air and looked around. She felt like she was in a fairy tale. The moonlight was bright and the stars were so close you could almost reach out and touch them. “Did you see that,” she shouted suddenly. “A shooting star! It was brilliant!”

“Yes,” he laughed. I saw it too. You must make a wish. I also will wish. Our wishes will come true. But you cannot tell me your wish and I cannot tell you mine.”

They walked on in the moonlight. Somehow Destiny’s hand made its way into Juan’s. They chattered happily like teenagers smitten with each other. Juan told Destiny the wrenching tale of his mother’s flight with him as an infant to Ireland when she learned that her husband’s mistress was pregnant.

He spoke of how he was raised by his mother and great-grandparents in Ireland for six years. He told her of how, to his shame, his mother had returned to his father upon his mistress’ death. He told her of his sorrow at leaving the emerald island to come here to an unloving father and unforgiving heat. He spoke a little about the bastard brother, Esteban, who was so close to him in age, who had plagued him since his return from Ireland.

1...34567...13