For Love of a Brother Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jenny looked down, deep in thought. "Does he know what position I play?"

"Sure he does. He asked a few days ago. Didn't he ask you?"

"No. I didn't tell him."

"Why?"

"Catcher is such an unladylike position. I always look like I'm giving birth in a rice paddy."

Serena laughed. "My God, Jenny, it's notthat bad. Besides, he was okay with it."

"What did he say?"

"He said, 'Cool, I knew she was tough.'"

"Wonderful, great," Jenny moaned sarcastically. "Now he thinks I'm tough. Just wonderful." She shook her head from side to side.

"I think he's fine with it. Anyway, don't worry," Serena laughed, "I'll work on him about calling you."

"Will you? I'd really appreciate it." Jenny looked hopeful.

"Sure, no problem," Serena said as she stood up and started to walk to the gym. "I always try to help the disadvantaged!" Serena ducked and ran as Jenny's glove sailed by her head, landing with a thud against one of the lockers.

"I'll get you for that!" Jenny yelled as she retrieved her glove from the floor. "I don't care how fast you can run!" She then ran after her friend towards the gym.

Jenny was in a foul mood that evening at supper. She had a poor practice, Andy had a late practice, and her mom came earlier than usual so she didn't get to talk to him. He still hadn't called her, although she reasoned he hadn't had time yet. Her twelve year old sister, Melissa, was getting on her nerves, like she normally did. Jenny didn't feel like talking to anyone and any question directed at her was met with a terse, one word answer.

After she reluctantly helped her dad with the dishes, she went to her room to start on her homework. She worked weekends at McDonald's and she liked to get her school work out of the way. She didn't want it piled up and waiting for her on Sunday night. An hour or two later, she had quite a bit of it done, so she put it aside and decided to turn on her stereo. She was one of the few teenagers who couldn't do homework with music playing.

Expecting to hear Led Zeppelin or The Stones come through her speakers, she cringed when the twang of Conway Twitty pierced her eardrums. Jenny loathed country music and her sister was the only one in the family who liked it. She wasn't allowed in Jenny's room without permission, but that usually didn't stop her.

That was just the last freakin' straw for Jenny as she flung open her door and stormed into the livingroom to confront her sister. Her mother and Melissa were seated on the sofa watching television and her father had gone out for the evening, bowling, Jenny thought.

Glaring at her sister, Jenny said menacingly, "Stay the hell out of my room and keep your grubby little hands off my stereo!"

"I didn't touch your stupid stereo," Melissa retorted indignantly.

"You did too! It was on a country station. I hate country and everyone knows it. You're the only one who likes country. Stay out of my room or I'll..."

"Stop it!" Angie, their mother said. "That's enough out of both of you." She stood up between them. "You," she pointed at Jenny, "in the kitchen." She turned to her left. "And you," she pointed at Melissa, "I'll deal with you later."

Jenny stomped into the kitchen ahead of Angie as Melissa smiled triumphantly as she had gotten her sister in trouble again.

Arms crossed, Jenny placed her butt against the sink and glowered in silence.

"What's gotten into you?" Angie asked after she shut the swinging door.

"Nothing."

"You call that nothing? You haven't had a civil word for anyone the last few days. What's up?"

"Nothing."

"Come on, Jenny," Angie said, moving to her side. "It has to be more than Melissa messing with your stereo. You usually don't give that a second thought. Something else is bothering you. You can tell me. Maybe I can help."

"I don't know," Jenny said softly, picking imaginary fuzz from her jeans. "She's always messing with my stuff and she won't stay out of my room. She's driving me nuts!"

"I'll straighten her out," her mom assured her. "What else is wrong?" Angie's dark brown eyes were staring at her daughter intently. Jenny knew she wouldn't get out of the kitchen without telling her something. Damn! She wanted to keep it private for a while longer.

"It's just that, well, there's a boy I like at school. I'd like to date him, but he won't call me. His sister says he's shy and he likes me, but I'm getting tired of waiting. We talk every day after practice and I know he likes me....I don't know." She sighed loudly.

"Is this the same boy who walks with you to the car?"

"Yes."

"He's very good looking. I can see why you like him." Angie smiled at her daughter.

"We were lab partners in biology last year," Jenny continued, "and we had a great time. I don't know. I just thought he would have called by now."

"Why don't you call him?"

"I thought it would be better if he called. I mean, I gave him our number. Isn't that a big enough hint?"

"Better for whom? You like him. He likes you. It seems like nothing will happen unless one of you breaks the ice. I had to do it with your father."

"Really?" Jenny exclaimed, her interest piqued.

"Yes. It was pretty much the same thing. I wanted him to call. He didn't, so I said the heck with it. I called him and we started dating very soon after that. I guess what I'm trying to say is this; don't worry about who should call whom. If you like him that much, give him a call. It doesn't have to long and drawn out. Just talk about practice or school, stuff you normally talk about. If he likes you and is as shy as you say, then he'll really appreciate the call and he won't be afraid to call you."

"I guess," Jenny said softly. She still wasn't entirely convinced about the whole thing, but it made sense. But, she did miss not talking to him that day, even though their conversations usually only lasted about ten minutes or so before her mom picked her up. What the hell, she certainly didn't have anything to lose by calling him.

Jenny's eyes brightened as she looked up. "Thanks, mom," she said before she hugged her. "I guess I need to talk to you more often."

"Any time," Angie replied. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll have a piece of your sister." Angie went back into the livingroom and began to rip into Melissa.

Jenny waited until the door closed before she picked up the kitchen phone and began dialing. She had memorized Andy's number after Serena had given it to her. It was unlisted, being that their father was a cop. She dialed it quickly and waited as she heard it ring on the other end.

Andy was lying in bed resting when the phone rang in the hallway. He was about to get up and answer it, but Serena was already out of her room and calling downstairs to say she had it.

"Burleson residence," she said as she answered.

"Serena?" Jenny asked. She had never talked to Serena on the phone before and she wasn't sure if it was her or their mother.

"Yes."

"It's me, Jenny. Is Andy there?"

"Hey Jenny! Couldn't wait for him to call, could you?"

"No. I figured if I waited any longer, we'd be old and gray before he called."

"How true. I'll get him for you."

"Thanks."

Serena held the phone away from her and yelled in Andy's direction, "Hey Andy, the phone's for you."

Andy jumped out of his bed and made his way to the phone. As he reached for the phone, he asked, "Who is it?"

"Some blond bimbo," she answered, grinning. Shrieking could be heard through the mouthpiece on the other end.

He took the phone from Serena. "Jenny?"

"Oh, great, you automatically assumed it was me. She says blond bimbo, and you knew it was me! That's wonderful! She's dead meat. You tell her that for me. You're next!" Jenny tried to act angry, but she wasn't doing a very good job of it.

"I...I..." Andy tried to speak, but he couldn't say anything.

"And to think I was going to be nice and call you up and ask how practice was for you. This is the thanks I get. I should have dissected you instead of the frog!"

"But, I..."

"No, no. It's too late for an apology. I won't accept it." By now, she was giggling.

"I didn't mean it..."

"Andy."

"What?"

"I'm not mad at you. I was joking."

"Really?"

"I will, however, do something evil to that brat sister of yours when I get my hands on her."

"Don't hurt her too much. I'm kind of fond of her."

"Okay, I won't hurt her too much. How was practice? Sorry, I couldn't stick around. Mom came a bit early."

"It was okay. A bit tiring, but I did pretty good. I think I'll catch on as a reserve."

"Good, I know that's what you want. I hope it works out for you."

"Thanks. How's practice going for you?"

"Not too bad. I've been working with the pitchers a lot, trying to get them in shape. My hitting's been so-so, but it'll come around." She became silent for a moment. "You sound kind of tired, Andy. You feeling okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay. Just a bit tired, I guess," he answered. "I had quite a few tests this week, too, on top of the practices. I guess it's caught up to me."

"Well, you've got the weekend to rest up."

"True."

"Got any plans?"

"None. I thought I'd just vegetate and take it easy. You?"

"I open the store tomorrow for eight hours and I work noon to four on Sunday."

"Oh. I guess I shouldn't keep you. You'll have to get to bed soon, won't you?"

"I've got a little while before I have to worry about it." Just then, an idea hit her. "Hey Andy?" she said.

"Yeah."

"Can you hold a bit? I have to ask mom something."

"Sure."

Jenny put down the phone and opened the door to the livingroom. Angie and Melissa were still sitting on the sofa. Melissa was pouting and giving Jenny a nasty look that Angie didn't see. "Hey mom?" she said.

"Yes," Angie answered.

"Could I have Andy over for supper tomorrow night?"

"We're not having anything special," Angie answered, "just burgers and fries."

"That's fine. I'm sure he'll be okay with that. Is it okay?"

"Sure it is. I'd like to meet him." Melissa's eyes brightened as she found a new way to torment her sister.

"Great! Thanks mom." Jenny hurried back to the phone.

"Hey Andy, you still there?"

"Yeah, I'm still here," he said tiredly.

"Would you like to come over tomorrow night for supper? Mom says it's okay."

"Well, I..."

"We don't have to go anywhere afterwards," she continued excitedly, "we've got a stereo, TV, billiards, and table tennis in the basement. We can just spend the evening hanging out down there."

"Sounds great, Jenny," he said. He wasn't sure about it, but he really liked her, always did. He had been wanting to ask her out ever since they met up again, but he couldn't get up the nerve. "What time?"

"I get home around three, three thirty. Give me some time to clean up. Maybe around four. Is that okay with you?"

"Four is fine."

"Great," she sighed. That's done, she laughed to herself. She glanced at the clock and saw it was getting late. She did have to get up early, very early, but she didn't want to stop talking to him. She was torn, but she knew she had to cut their conversation short. Besides, they had the entire evening the next day to talk. "Well," she sighed again, "it is getting kind of late. I hate to cut this short."

"That's okay. We can talk tomorrow," he said, stifling a yawn. Why was he so tired?

"I guess I'll let you go then," she said, definitely not wanting the call to end.

"Oh, Jenny," he said quickly, "where do you live?"

"3127 Glenmore Circle. Do you know where it is?"

"Yeah, I know where it is. It's actually not too far from me."

"Really? Where do you guys live?"

"Ewell Street near Riley."

"That's not far at all." Jenny hesitated, dreading the end. "Well, I really must be going. I'll see you tomorrow at four."

"I'll count the minutes."

"You're silly," she laughed. It was the first time she felt he was relaxed with her all week. "I'll see you."

"Okay. See you." They hung up at the same time. With a dopey grin on his face, Andy floated back to his room.

Jenny's hand fell away from the phone and she pumped her fist in the air. "Yeah!" she exclaimed to no one in particular.

Andy woke up the next morning annoyed. He thought he had gotten enough sleep, but he woke up tired and ragged. He had felt sore and out of shape for the entire week. He knew his coach was working them harder than in past years, but Andy felt it shouldn't be bothering himthis much. "Maybe I'm just out of shape," he mumbled to himself before he flopped back down for another hour of uneasy sleep.

He spent the greater part of the afternoon getting ready for the evening. Once he got up again, he felt better and the tiredness was almost gone. He took an extra-long shower and took more time than usual getting his hair just right. Since they weren't going anywhere after supper, he decided on wearing a pair of jeans and a brown corduroy shirt. He had shaved, although he didn't really need it, and put on a sparse amount of aftershave. Once he was satisfied with his appearance, he glanced at the clock and saw it was a few minutes past three-thirty.

He stepped over to Serena's room and sat down in a chair near the door. "Going with the casual look, I see," she said while glancing over a book she was reading.

"My suit's at the cleaners," he replied.

"You're quick today," she said, smiling. "So, what are you guys going to do?"

"Just hang out, I guess. No specific plans. Just have supper and play some pool and ping pong in her basement," he shrugged.

"Watch out for her sister. Jenny says she's a terror."

"She's not mentioned much about her," he replied as he removed some dirt from under his thumb nail.

"Probably with good reason. She says she's a brat."

"I'm used to it."

"Well, well, feeling a bit frisky today, are we?" Serena laughed. "I'm sure I can regale Jenny with some sordid details about you."

Andy's eyes widened. There were some things she could spill that didn't need to be brought up any time in the near future. "Okay, okay, I'll back down. Geez, some people are so sensitive."

"Yes, I am. Remember that." Serena eyed him closely. Something about him didn't seem quite right. She couldn't place a finger on it. "Are you feeling okay?" she asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he answered, a bit annoyed. He didn't feel one hundred percent, but not as good as he wanted. What did she see? "Why do you ask?"

"Oh, nothing. You just look a bit tired, that's all." That was it, she thought. His eyes looked droopy.

"I think Coach Anderson wants us to run track this year, too," he said smiling. "I guess I'm a little tired." That wasn't too hard to admit, he thought.

"Maybe you need to catch up on some more sleep."

"Yeah, I'll do that." He got up and stood by the door. "See you later."

"Have a good time. Tell me about it when you get back."

"I don't think so."

"I'll get it out of one of you."

Andy thought for a second. "Yes, I think you will."

He arrived promptly at four and saw Jenny peering out of the front window. She met him at the door before he had a chance to knock or ring the bell.

"It's about time you showed up," she greeted him. She was wearing a white sweater, jeans, and sandals. He inhaled deeply. She had that wonderful, freshly bathed smell about her.

Andy checked his watch and saw the time. He smiled and showed it to her.

"I was only teasing," she said. "Come on in and I'll introduce you to everyone."

She led him into the livingroom and took his jacket, putting it in the hall closet. He didn't see anyone there or in the kitchen. Once she closed the closet door, she led him past the kitchen to a doorway that went to the basement. Turning back to him, she said, "Mom and dad are downstairs watching TV. I think my sister's in her room sulking about something. Unfortunately, you'll get to meet her later." Without waiting for a reply, she led him down the stairs to a brightly lit furnished basement.

"Hey guys, there's someone I'd like you to meet." Heads and bodies turned on the sofa as Andy came to the bottom step. Nervously, he made to the carpeted floor and saw Jenny's mom first. At first glance, he thought he saw Jenny's twin, but a second look showed her to look like an older sister, not a mother. She mirrored Jenny in every way except for her brown eyes and longer, straighter hair. He could see where Jenny got her good looks and he also got a glimpse as to what Jenny would look like twenty years into the future.

"It's good to meet you, Andy," Angie said. She turned to her right. "This is Jenny's dad, Brad."

Brad Hobbs stood up to his full height, slowly and deliberately, as was his custom when Jenny brought friends over. He actually couldn't stand up fully, the ceiling was too low. The ceiling was a full foot over Andy's head, he being five foot seven, so he stood in awe trying to calculate Brad's height.

"Oh, daddy, quit trying to intimidate him," Jenny said. Brad broke into a smile and moved over to Andy.

"Jenny says you're a ball player, too," he boomed. "Good for you." He extended his hand and Andy took it, dwarfing his. "Good grip," he exclaimed. "Well, we'll leave you two alone," he said as he and Angie brushed past them. They went up the stairs quickly and shut the door behind them.

"How...?"

"Six foot ten," Jenny answered. "Yes, I know he's big. I guess I should have warned you."

"Yeah, that would have helped," Andy said.

"Well, come on over and sit with me. Do you want to watch TV or listen to the stereo?"

"I don't know," he said. "I'm not really in the mood for either."

"What do you want to do then?"

Andy thought for a moment until he had an answer. "You'll probably think it's weird," he said finally.

"Try me." She was staring at him now, her eyes almost level with his.

"I thought maybe we could just sit and talk. We really haven't had a chance to talk by ourselves without people or family around."

Jenny smiled. "I'd like that."

She led him to the love seat and she turned off the TV before sitting down next to him. They sat close, but not touching. For the next hour and a half, they talked. They talked about anything and everything that crossed their minds. School, practice, dating, food, jobs, music, and the movies, they covered a lot of topics and got to know each other a little better. All of Andy's nervousness and apprehension melted away like sun-kissed snow. He almost felt as relaxed with her as he had with Kathy.

When Angie came down the stairs to tell them it was time for supper, they were engaged in a friendly argument.

"It's a date," Jenny said.

"It is not. It's friends getting together," Andy replied.

"It's a date," Jenny insisted.

"It is not, Jenny," Andy said as he looked at Angie.

"What are you two fussing about?" Angie asked as she came down to the bottom of the steps. Right away, she could tell they weren't angry with each other.

Jenny replied before Andy could speak. "I say we are on a date tonight and he insists we're just two friends hanging out together."

"Sounds serious," Angie said. "Can this wait until after supper?"

Jenny and Andy looked at each other, shrugged their shoulders, and said in unison, "Sure." They laughed together as they followed Angie up the stairs.

Andy's first impression of Melissa didn't bother him, but merely amused him. After Jenny introduced him to her, Melissa blurted out, "Are you her boyfriend?"

Jenny rolled her eyes as she sighed and was about to say something, but Andy beat her to it. "Well," he said slowly, "I'm a boy and I'm her friend, so I guess you could call me her boyfriend."

Melissa had no reply for that and sat down. Jenny smirked and gently jabbed Andy in the ribs in appreciation.

As they sat down, Angie said, "It's nothing fancy, Andy, but I hope you like hamburgers and fries."