For Love of a Brother Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I love 'em, ma'am," he replied.

"There's no need to be formal," she said. "Please call me Angie."

"Okay, Angie."

The supper was very good and Andy had seconds of everything. Once dessert was finished, Angie shooed them out of the kitchen and told Melissa to help her with the dishes.

"But, mom," she whined, "it's Jenny's turn."

"Jenny has a guest and she'll take your turn next time," she explained. "Now, come on, it'll only take fifteen or twenty minutes."

"Oh, all right," she said.

Jenny gestured to Andy and they went back down to the basement. Once there, Jenny turned to him. "So, what do you want to do?"

Andy eyed the pool table, knowing he was good at billiards. "We could play some pool, I guess."

"Sounds fine. I'm pretty good, though, so watch out."

"Right," he scoffed.

"You don't believe me?"

"I don't think I'll have too much trouble beating you."

"We'll see," Jenny smiled. They set up the balls and Jenny suggested Andy break. He did and managed to get a ball into one of the pockets. It was the last one he would pocket because after he missed on his next shot, Jenny cleared the table in quick fashion. Andy looked on in amazement as she pocketed ball after ball. Most of the shots weren't difficult, but she set up each shot beautifully and made some hard shots, too. He could only shake his head in admiration once she finished.

"You are fantastic!" he exclaimed once she was done. "I should have known you'd be good, having a table in your basement."

"So, do you believe me now?" she smiled.

"Without question."

"Come on, we'll play again."

"And get my butt kicked again? No thanks."

"Come on," she said earnestly. "I'll show you some stuff and you'll get better."

"Okay," he said, "but there won't be any competition from me."

They played four or five more times and Jenny won each one easily, but her tips about angles and setting up shots helped Andy and by the time they finished, he was confident he could beat any of his buddies.

"You should be a pro," he said as they put the cue sticks away.

"Nah, I'm not that good, believe me. I go down to the pool hall on Stratton Street and get my butt beat regularly. Those guys are the pros. I'm getting better, though."

Jenny flipped on the stereo without asking Andy and turned on a rock station. They sat down on the love seat again, this time, a little closer. "I hope Melissa doesn't come down and bother us," Jenny said.

"Will she?"

"Mom said she'd keep her upstairs, but she can be sneaky at times."

Andy noticed musical tapes in the stereo cabinet and decided to change the subject. "What kind of tapes you got there?" He got up and moved closer to see the titles.

"Pretty much anything," Jenny replied as she moved to his side. She inhaled and could get a faint whiff of his aftershave. She liked it.

Andy flipped through the tapes seeing country, rock, and classical. His eyes widened. "Cool, you've got Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, all the great ones!"

"You like that stuff?" Jenny asked.

"Oh, yeah. It's great to listen to after a bad day. I play Mozart on the way home after school if I had a tough test. It really relaxes me." Jenny made a face. "What? You don't like classical music?"

"That's my mom's stuff. I only like rock, the harder, the better."

"Man, Jenny, you ought to listen to this, I mean, really listen. It's really soothing and relaxing. You could use it to relax you if Melissa gets on your nerves. It really works, believe me. Do you want to listen to some now?"

"I am very relaxed right now. I don't need to listen to it."

"Oh, come on Jenny. Listen to just one side and I think you'll like it."

"Well, alright, I'll listen to one side," she relented.

"Great," he said. He turned back to the tapes and studied them, trying to decide which one to pick. After a few minutes, he finally settled on Mozart's "Requiem". He handed it to Jenny. "Here, put this one in." She did as asked and then, they sat on the love seat again.

"Now, just listen," he instructed and they settled back as the first movement began. Call it a revelation, call it an epiphany, but as each note washed over her, Jenny realized how truly peaceful the music was and was beginning to enjoy it. Slowly, and without thinking, she rested her head on Andy's shoulder and sighed. Andy smiled and put his arm around her shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze. Without a word, they listened and took in each note. Andy, who had listened to "Requiem" many times, still enjoyed it as if it were the first time. Mozart was his favorite composer. Jenny, on the other hand, was mesmerized by the music. She had never taken the time to really listen to classical music and never realized how soothing and relaxing it really was. Maybe Andy had picked out the perfect piece for her, she didn't know for sure, but she knew she wanted to listen to more.

When the first side ended, she was still against him and not wanting to move. Not only was she relaxed, she was melted putty who couldn't move if she wanted. It was more than just the music that pleased her. She loved being close to Andy and being held by him. She could stay that way for a long time. "You were so right," she murmured, "that was so neat. I never thought I would ever like something like that. I guess I never really listened to it before."

"The other side is pretty good, too, although it's a bit slower and sadder," he replied. He made no move to change the tape. Jenny felt fantastic against him and he loved the scents coming off of her, the shampoo, the soap, and the light perfume she was wearing. He definitely was not in any hurry for her to leave his side.

Just then, the basement door opened and Melissa bounded down the stairs. Reluctantly, Jenny's head left his shoulder and she looked over her own shoulder at her little sister. Shit, she hissed to herself.

"Whatcha doing?" Melissa asked.

"Just listening to some music," Jenny answered.

"I don't hear anything."

"The first side just ended."

"I bet you guys were kissing."

"Melissa," Jenny sighed, trying to control her temper, "we were not kissing. We were just talking about the music when you came down. What do you want?"

Melissa ignored the question and went over to the stereo and saw the tape. "Mozart?" she said, puzzled, "I've never heard ofthat group."

Andy laughed. "Mozart wasn't a group. He was an Austrian composer from the 1700's."

"Oh."

"Melissa," Jenny said, exasperated, "what do you want?"

"Mom says to come up for some popcorn if you want."

"Alright, we'll be up in a few minutes. Now, could you leave us alone?"

"So you can start kissing again?"

"Melissa!!!" Jenny made a quick move from the sofa towards her sister.

Melissa turned quickly and bounded back up the stairs as fast as she had come down them, shutting the door loudly behind her.

"That wasn't so bad," Andy said.

"Yeah, right," Jenny replied. She stood up slowly and stretched. "Come on," she said, "let's get some popcorn."

Jenny gave him a bowl as her parents sat around the kitchen table. She handed him a can of pop without asking him if he wanted any before they sat down with them.

"So," Brad said out of the blue, "did she beat the crap out of you in pool?"

"Well, in so many words, yes," Andy replied. "Many times, in fact."

"Don't worry about it. She beats all of her boyfriends."

"Daddy!" Jenny squealed.

"All of your boyfriends?" Andy asked.

"It's only been a couple," she said.

"Check the notches on her cue," Brad suggested.

"Daddy! Stop it," Jenny wailed.

"So, how many were there before me?" Andy asked, obviously enjoying making her squirm.

"I don't have to listen to this. I'm going back downstairs. You guys can have your fun without me." Jenny stood up and began to move towards the basement door. She turned back to Andy. "If you know what's good for you, you'll come down with me." She gave him a smile before heading down the stairs.

"Look out," Angie said, "she's already setting down rules."

Andy laughed and took his snack and drink down the stairs. Jenny had already set her stuff on one of the tables when he appeared at the bottom of the steps. "You can set your things over here with mine," she instructed. He walked over and did as he was asked.

"So, do you want to listen to the rest of the tape?" she asked.

"Sure."

Jenny went over to the stereo, flipped the cartridge, and sat down with Andy, who had his drink in hand. They sat in silence, letting the music wash over them. Soon, Jenny had settled against him and Andy had his arm around her once more. They stayed that way long after the tape finished.

"This is so nice," Jenny murmured, not wishing to move her head from his shoulder. "I don't want to move."

"I'm certainly not going to stop you," Andy said, not wanting her to move, either.

They stayed that way for quite a while, neither saying anything and just enjoying each other's company. About fifteen minutes later, Jenny sat up, complaining of a stiff neck. She moved her head from side to side, trying to stretch it and loosen the tight muscles. Without any hesitation, Andy started to massage the back of her neck and shoulders as he had done so often for his sister. Serena got stiff necks quite often.

Jenny bent her head forward as he worked his fingers into the muscles that lined her neck. He was providing instant relief for her and soon, she was out of her discomfort. When he finished, she said, "I think I'll have to keep you around for a while." She leaned over and kissed him on the cheek.

"What was that for?" he asked, quite surprised.

"I just wanted to thank you, that's all," her bright green eyes sparkling.

"Well, you're welcome," he replied, grinning.

"You know," Jenny continued, "I'm having a really good time for a first date."

"It's not a date."

"Is too."

"Is not."

"Okay, so if this isn't a date, when are we going to have one?" she demanded.

"I don't know."

"You know," she said coyly, "I can't let you kiss me until we have a date."

"You already kissed me," he pointed out.

"Oh, no, that was a friends getting together kiss," she replied. "I was simply repaying you for the massage."

"Oh, I see," he nodded. "Well, I guess we better have a date then. I certainly wouldn't want to break any of your rules."

"No, that wouldn't be good."

"Well, how about the Valentine's Dance next Saturday? Unless, of course, you've already got a date."

"Andy!" she said indignantly, "I do not already have a date for that. I was hoping you'd ask me. I'd love to go. I'll pay for the tickets if you want."

"No, no. I've got some money." He worked summers at one of the local department stores in the stock room. "I'll get the tickets this week."

"Great." Jenny smiled to herself. She was so happy she asked him over. It was a very memorable first date, no matter what he said to the contrary.

They spent the rest of the evening playing pool and ping pong, then settling down once more to Brahms and Beethoven. Before they knew it, it was around midnight and time for Andy to leave. They took their bowls and drinks and made their way up to the kitchen. There was but one light on and everyone had already gone to bed.

"Just put them on the table," she said to Andy about his bowl and glass, "I get them later."

She got his coat from the closet and pulled one out for herself. Handing his coat to him, she said, "Come on, I'll walk you out."

Closing the door behind her, she looked at Andy sadly. She really didn't want the evening to end and she wished she didn't have to wait until Monday after practice to see him again. Andy took her hand as they went down the steps and kept it, much to Jenny's pleasure and surprise. It felt very good to her. Slowly, they made their way to his car. He stopped with his back against the door and looked at her. He was already as happy with her as he had ever been with Kathy, although he and Kathy never really dated that much. He still liked her a lot, though, and was sad when they broke up.

"I guess I'll see you Monday," he said softly, his breath steaming in the frosty air.

"Yeah," she answered, a bit distracted with her own thoughts.

"Have a good day at work."

"It should be fine. It's only four hours."

"Yeah, well," he said, "I better get going."

"Yeah," she sighed. She really hated to see him go. She let him go, though, and watched his car until it disappeared into the night.

Annoyed and a bit scared could have been two of the thoughts going through Andy's mind the next morning when he woke. He had a hard time sleeping and he couldn't blame it on Jenny or their evening together. Of course, he enjoyed their time together and he thought about it all the way home, but he was not the type to let something like that keep him awake most of the night. In his mind, it really wasn't a date and nothing out of the ordinary happened. There was no goodnight kiss or anything like that. He held her hand briefly, but that wasn't enough to elicit any special thoughts or dreams. He was tired when he got up and he had to use the bathroom. It took a long time before his bladder let loose and he had a burning sensation when it did. When he did finish, he still felt like he had to go, but there was nothing left. He had this happen to him numerous times over the course of the past few months, but he had thought nothing of it. He felt normal almost all of the rest of the time.

He went back to bed, but sleep eluded him once again. Andy tossed and turned and tried to get comfortable, but it was useless. Finally, at eight o'clock, he gave up and got up for the day. He had been tired all week and he blamed it on the rigorous workouts the coach was giving them, plus the tests he had to study for, but now he was worried it was something else. Looking back, he could remember times in the past few months when he was tired for no good reason. He just didn't think anything of it. It wasn't just a matter of being tired, it was a general shortness of breath whenever he needed extra energy for running, jumping, or any type of exertion. He couldn't put his finger on it, but deep down, he knew something was wrong. For the time being, he decided to keep it to himself in hopes it was a passing thing. There was no need to get everyone in a panic should there be nothing wrong.

On Monday, school passed by slowly, and for Andy, it seemed like an eternity. His sleep was no better that morning and he was very tired. He didn't nod off in class, but he came close. He didn't know how he was going to be able to get through practice, but he was going to do his best. As the last bell chimed for the end of the day, he walked slowly to his locker and began to separate the books he would be taking home with him and those that would stay. He didn't hear the footsteps behind him as he fumbled around with some of the notebooks.

"Hey, Andy," a familiar voice said behind him.

Andy turned and saw Jenny and he smiled. "Hey, what are you doing here?"

She didn't answer, but was staring at him, studying him.

"What?" he asked, puzzled at her expression.

"You don't look good. Are you okay?" she asked, very concerned.

"What do you mean? I feel fine," he lied.

"I don't know, Andy," she said, still studying him. "You just look really tired and your color is off. Are you sure you feel okay?"

"I'm fine," he insisted, a bit edgy now and getting annoyed with the questioning.

"Okay," she said softly. "I was just asking. Come on. I'll walk you to the locker room."

"Sure," he said, still in thought about what she said. If she noticed something different about him, then it was noticeable and he needed to get it checked out. He closed his locker and walked with her to the locker room.

"I think he's sick, Serena," Jenny insisted as they got dressed for practice.

"I know," Serena replied. "Mom and I noticed it yesterday. We couldn't get two words out of him and all he wanted to do was lie around all day. I even tried to get him to talk about you, but he wasn't interested. Usually, I can't get him to shut up when your name comes up. I'll definitely get on him after practice."

"I hope so. He seemed irritated that I asked him about it. I really think something's bothering him." Jenny looked down at her feet. I hope he's okay, she said silently to herself.

Practice did not go well for Andy that afternoon. He was tired, out of breath, and slow to react to anything hit or pitched his way. Ground balls that were normally within his reach weren't caught. His throws, normally crisp and strong, were lazy and weak. His bat speed was slow and any contact he made wasn't solid. Disgusted with his performance and worried about his health, he stood under the shower for a long time afterward, hoping the hot water would soothe whatever was ailing him.

When he talked to Jenny after practice, he wasn't his usual jovial self with her. In fact, he could barely stay awake in the chair. Serena was shocked when she saw him after she came up from the locker room, but she tried not to show it. He and Jenny made small talk until it was time for Jenny to leave. They walked slowly to the car; Andy couldn't go any faster if he tried.

"Please, take care of yourself," Jenny pleaded. "I don't want to nag, but you need to see a doctor." They were at the car now.

"I know," he said softly, glancing at his sister. "I will. I don't feel so good."

Out of instinct, she leaned forward and kissed him on his cheek, touching it after she did so. "Tell me what's going on. I don't care how late it is."

"Your parents might care."

"I'll let them know ahead of time."

"Okay."

Jenny got into the car, not wanting to leave him. She waved to him before the car was put into gear and driven away.

"Come on," Serena said. "Let's get you home before you fall over."

"I couldn't agree with you more," he said meekly.

Serena drove home as quickly as possible, glancing from time to time at her brother. She didn't know what to think. All she knew was he was very sick and she was becoming very concerned.

Joe and Diane took one look at Andy when they came through the door and had the same thought. His kidney. By then, his color had taken on an ashen, yellowish hue and he was very weak. They put the food away quickly, grabbed their coats, and took him to the hospital. Joe called for assistance in his best cop's voice, and soon Andy was wheeled into the emergency room.

While Joe and Diane processed the paperwork, Andy was taken into the emergency room examination area immediately. They explained to the nurse that he only had ½ of a kidney and they suspected something was wrong with it. The information was then relayed to the staff taking care of him.

He was immediately put on oxygen and he felt better with the fresh air circulating through his nose. He had his vital statistics taken and an IV was started in his right arm when a pleasant looking man in his forties came into view.

"Hi there, Mr. Burleson," he greeted him. "I'm Dr. Torgeson and I'll be taking care of you for now. We've been told you're not feeling too hot, so we're going to check everything out, just to make sure we find out what's going on with you. Okay?" From the information given him, he already suspected renal problems, but he wanted to make sure.

"Okay," Andy said weakly. He was scared, but he was mostly exhausted and just wanted to sleep.

"Have you had any trouble sleeping, going to the bathroom, itching, or anything out of the ordinary lately?"

"I haven't slept well for the past week and I'm always tired. I've had trouble going, but I haven't had any itching. I've been tired on and off for the past few months."

"Okay," he noted. "Any pains anywhere?"

"No."

"Eating okay?"

"Yes."

'Are you having trouble breathing?"