Hideaway House

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Mrs. Camden I'm Phil Cooper. I'm a private investigator and I'd like to talk to you if you have a minute."

"Can you show me your I.D.?"

"Of course," and he quickly pulled it out and held it up for her.

She opened the door, but kept the security chain in place and said, "May I see that again?"

"Of course, take your time."

He held it close to her and after a second she asked him, "Is this regarding the murder of Loretta Dunhill?"

"No, I'm working on something else. I just have a few questions if you wouldn't mind." He handed her his card and said, "Feel free to call my office and ask my secretary to describe me or whatever." She relaxed her guard then and unchained her door.

"I'm sorry but..."

"Don't be, you did the right thing by being cautious."

"Come in."

"Thank you, I won't be long I promise."

Nona went to a chair in the living room and as she sat down he sat on the couch. "What is this regarding then Mr. Cooper?"

"I'm doing a background for a security check is all. I understand you used to be married to Peter Koloff."

"Yes for two years."

"And your divorce was final about eighteen months ago?"

"About that I guess." He wrote something down and then said, "Peter is in politics I believe."

"Yes, he was a state representative, but I understand he has aspirations of being a senator."

"That's what I'm hearing. Do you have contact with him now?"

"I haven't talked to him since the divorce."

"I see. He's married to a woman named Bethany now I understand."

"So I understand."

"Sorry, I know this probably isn't your favorite topic of conversation."

She gave him a thin smile and said, "Not even close, especially if I'm sober." He laughed and wrote something else in his notebook.

"You don't have to answer this one if you'd rather not, but was your separation amicable?"

"Our relationship was similar to the one Khrushchev and Nixon had."

"That bad, huh?"

Changing the subject then he said, "I have to confess I've read one of your books."

"Is there a but?"

"No actually, I liked it."

"I'm glad you enjoyed it, but I'm surprised because I tend to put a lot of romance in my mysteries."

He gave her his best smile and closing his little notebook said, "I guess you appealed to my sensitive side, but don't tell anybody I have one."

"That wouldn't do for a private detective now would it."

"Not at all."

"You're secret is safe with me, Mr. Cooper."

"Phil, please." He stood up then and said, "Thank you for your time."

"Sorry about the suspicion thing."

"Don't be. Oh, I wanted to ask you. Why did you think I might have something to do with the Dunhill murder?"

"I had lunch with her at the Paradise Found Inn the day before she was murdered."

"Oh, I'm sorry was she a friend?"

"No, I had just met her actually. She seemed nice, a real person. I'm sure she could play the game with the best of them, but when I had lunch with her she seemed so genuine and self effacing actually." He gave her another smile then and said once more.

"Thank you for your time, Miss."

"Nona please, and come back in a few months and I'll give you a copy of my new novel."

"I'll do that." Phil made his way back to his office and went in.

"Hey, boss."

"Any calls, Kate?"

"Just one, your mother called and says you're supposed to give me a raise."

"Nice try."

"How did it go with that Camden woman?"

"Okay, I guess."

"Just okay?"

"Yeah...I mean she was very cordial, but I didn't get much information."

"So now what?"

"I don't know yet. I don't even know if she can help. It's been two years since she talked to her ex."

"But didn't you say that you needed to look back even farther than that?"

"I do."

"So?" He hesitated for several seconds and then said, "I'm going to go back and tell her the truth about what I need."

"You can't do that without telling her why you need it."

"I'm going to try."

"I don't understand."

"I guess I've been doing this too long. I had a hard time lying to her."

"Let me guess, she's good looking and she smiled at you a lot, maybe even batted her eyes at you."

"You're close. She did smile and she's very good looking, but on top of that that she's very nice too, but she didn't bat her eyes."

"If you go back you better be very careful or you'll lose the account from talking too much."

"I know and thanks."

"Just trying to keep my job."

"Why, I don't pay you enough."

"At last you admit it, we're making progress."

Phil went to his office and dialed Nona's number. "Hello?"

"Miss Camden...I mean Nona, this is Phil Cooper again."

"Oh yes, Phil."

"Listen...there's...there's more that I'd like to go over with you. There's a restaurant not far from your place called Henry's, is it any good?"

"It's not bad at all."

"Could I buy you lunch or dinner as penance for being a pest? We could talk then if you are willing."

"I guess so, when were you thinking?"

"Either this evening yet or tomorrow for lunch, whatever works for you."

"How about tomorrow for lunch, say about twelve thirty?"

"I'll see you there and thank you."

It was late in the afternoon when Nona got another visitor. When she went to the door she looked at another badge.

"Miss Camden, I'm Detective Tony Gaston from Harrisonburg." She looked at his badge and let him in, but stayed standing.

"Miss Camden I understand you were at Paradise Found when Loretta Dunhill was murdered."

"Yes, I was."

"And you had lunch with her the day before?"

"I did."

"How well did you know her?"

"I'd just met her and she invited me to have lunch with her."

"Very nice of her."

"I thought so."

"But you had never seen her before that time?"

"Never. I'd heard of her of course during my research, but that's all."

"What about after lunch, say late in the day?"

"No."

"And you were at the inn for research for your writing."

"Correct. I'm well into my third novel."

"If that was the only time you saw her then why are you seen on a security video going out to see her at the pool?"

"I didn't go out there. I've never been out to the pool in fact."

"But you're seen on the tape coming down the side walk."

"I don't know who you saw on the tape, but it wasn't me."

"Did your ex husband know Miss Dunhill?"

"I haven't talked to him in two years, so you'll have to ask him."

"I'm told that your mysteries always involve politics."

"They have so far anyway."

"And Miss Dunhill was very involved in politics."

"Yes she was."

He closed his notebook and simply said, "Thank you, Miss Camden," and turned to leave.

"You're quite welcome, Detective", and closed the door behind him. She stood in her entryway and leaned against the door for a minute. They couldn't possibly see her as a suspect. She had no motive for one thing. She had researched and written enough to at least know the basics and she also knew she just didn't fit the profile. That told her they were getting desperate to find a suspect and it could be anybody just so long as they had somebody to feed to the wolves and keep the political pressures off of them.

Once she had settled down she called Cal.

"Cal Glassman."

"Hi, it's Nona."

"Hi, it's good to hear your voice."

"Am I calling at a bad time?"

"No, but I'm not in my office. I'll call you back in five minutes."

"Okay." It was almost five minutes exactly when her phone rang.

"Hi it's Cal."

"So are things settling down for you?"

"It's much better now. So how are you?"

"Doing okay, except a detective was here and all but accused me of killing Loretta."

"You must be joking."

"I'm afraid not."

"I guess I shouldn't be surprised, they all but accused my maintenance staff of intentionally tampering with the security camera."

"Which camera?"

"The one that's supposed to aim at the pool area where Loretta was."

"They said they had me on video walking out to meet her."

"Well, the part of the tape that I saw you weren't there."

"I know because I've never been out there. Has the murder hurt your business much?"

"Are you kidding we're booked solid and I'll bet most of them have been out to the south pool. How is the book coming?"

"Not too bad, but I'm still working on the magazine article. I should be back to my story in a couple of days though."

"Any chances of you coming back this way soon?"

"Not for awhile at least, not to stay I'm afraid, but maybe we can set something up for lunch. Is it possible for you to get away long enough to meet me at Lexington tomorrow, or don't you get days off?"

"I do, but not tomorrow I'm afraid."

"Well, we'll just have to try another time then."

"Nona, I really would like to see you though."

"We'll come up with something one of these days."

Chapter Seven

After talking to Cal, she didn't have a good feeling about them getting together again. She could have suggested Sunday as an alternative, but when he didn't suggest that she figured it wasn't that important to him. So instead of being with Cal, she was going to have lunch with Phil Cooper while he fired more questions at her. Then she smiled as she remembered that he had admitted to reading one of her books. She had trouble visualizing this handsome and masculine detective sitting in his living room reading one of the passionate chapters. But when she remembered that some of her romantic passages would take on a decidedly erotic slant, it was easier for her to visualize him reading her book.

As she approached the entrance to Henry's, she saw him standing there with his trusty notebook in hand. As soon as he saw her he straightened up and smiled. "Thanks for agreeing to meet with me again."

"You're welcome but I can't imagine what I can say that would help you."

"Maybe nothing, but I'd hate to realize later that I'd failed to ask that one question that makes a big difference."

They were soon seated and had ordered their drinks before she asked him, "How is your investigation progressing?"

"Slowly I'm afraid."

"Hence the need for more answers from me."

"That's about it. Listen I was in such a hurry to get here I didn't wash my hands. If you'll excuse me I'll be right back."

"Take your time Phil." The restrooms were on the far side of the restaurant and she noticed he had left his notebook on the table. The urge was just too powerful to ignore so as soon as he was around the corner she grabbed it opened it. On the left side were the questions he had asked her when they met the first time with notes after the questions But on the right side were small notations saying things like, very pretty and has beautiful dark eyes. Then it said, seems very smart and has great sense of humor. Want to see her again. She was embarrassed to be reading those very personal notes, but at the same time she was so surprised and flattered. She was afraid he might come back and catch her so she quickly put his notebook back where it was. Was this meeting for more questions just a ruse so he could see her again?

When he returned she said, "You forgot your notebook."

"I figured it was safe in your hands."

She didn't know how he meant that so she quickly asked him, "Do you take that wherever you go?"

"Just about."

"So you write down questions that you want to ask later?"

"Sometimes. Other times I ask questions and then write them down with the answers I get. I frequently just write down random thoughts too. Then when I get back to the office I transfer all of my notes to file. I sometimes even surprise myself when I realize what I've written down. I guess we all have to have our systems."

"That's true. I write tons of notes and outlines as I develop a story. Sometimes my notes are so detailed it's almost like writing the story twice."

With their food delivered they ate lunch and made small talk. "Nona, have you heard anything more about the murder?"

"A detective came to see me and all but accused me of being the murderer."

"Why would he think that?"

"He claims I was seen on a security video where Loretta was murdered, but the truth is I was never there."

"If you were never where the camera could see you, he's on a fishing expedition is all. He may be trying to rattle you or perhaps they have someone on camera, but they can't identify them, and had you been at the scene of the crime at some point, that ploy would have rattled you enough that you would have admitted to being there."

"I thought of that, but it helps to hear you say it."

"I can only imagine the pressure those detectives must be feeling."

As soon as their empty dishes were removed, Phil leaned forward and said,

"Nona, I wasn't honest with you when I saw you the last time." She just looked at him in silence so he continued. "I'm not working on a security background check. I was hired by a private investigator in D.C. to look into your ex husband Peter."

"Why didn't you just say so in the beginning?"

"Because I shouldn't be telling you any of what I'm about to."

"Then why are you?"

He just smiled at her and shrugged his shoulders before saying, "Because you are so..." and he stopped for a second before quickly changing his mind and saying, "I just feel that being honest with you is the best way. If I'm up front with you, maybe you'll be more inclined to be open with me." Had she not stolen a look at his notes, she wouldn't have given it a thought, but now she wondered what it was he started to say to her.

She sipped her coffee and studied him over the rim of her cup before asking him, "What could I know that would be of help to your investigation?"

"Very possibly nothing."

"Is he in some kind of trouble?"

"Nona, I can only tell you that there are some improprieties within his circle of...business associates. I wish I could tell you more, but to be honest I don't know a whole lot more than that right now."

"I get the feeling that this conversation might be long and would have gone better at my house rather than here."

"Maybe so, but this way I got to buy lunch for my favorite author."

She had to smile and then said, "You've read all of one of my books."

He didn't hesitate and returned her smile before saying, "But that represents about eighty percent of my reading in the last six months, and I can't wait to read your next one."

Nona leaned back then and said, "Okay Detective, let's go to my house and I'll even provide the coffee. I have to see what kind of old memories of my ex we can dig up." She was about half surprised at what she had just said. She hardly knew this man, this detective, and here she was inviting him to her house for coffee and extended conversation. A conversation that was almost certain to contain details of her life with Peter that no one else knew about, and she had finally managed to put behind her. She was also surprised to realize that she was glad that she hadn't driven up to see Cal.

Phil looked into her eyes in a way that made her wonder if he could read her mind and then simply said, "I'd like that." Phil followed her home and waited as she made coffee. When she returned she handed him his coffee and said, "I'm assuming you still want it black."

"Yes, thank you."

"Be right back", and she disappeared. When she returned she handed him a book and said, "I can't have my favorite fan not reading my first book."

He smiled and said, "Thank you, Nona." He opened it and saw that she had signed it after writing, "To Phil, my favorite fan and favorite detective, from your favorite author."

"Thank you Nona, I can't wait to read it."

"You're welcome. I wanted to give that to you before your questions got me mad or upset."

"I promise to do my best not to make you mad."

"What about upset?"

"I'll do my best there too, but I don't know how talking about Peter will affect you."

She sat on the couch next to him and said, "Okay, Detective, detect."

"Let's focus on the last year of your marriage."

"I was afraid of that; it was only the first year that we were happy. Okay, first question."

"How would you describe his overall demeanor in those last months?"

"What do you mean?"

"Happy, tense, hostile?"

"Oh. It varied quite a bit. He seemed happy until about...let me think. About...I guess about the beginning of that last year. Then he seemed to become more distant. Disconnected, I guess, at least from me."

"But not hostile?"

"Not until later."

"Let's come back to that in a minute if you don't mind. So if, for example, the two of you were out for an evening, how would he be?"

"Again it depended. If it was just the two of us, he would be quiet and even morose sometimes. But in public he would be mannerly and smooth. On the other hand, if it was a political function, he would be very charming and outgoing." Phil was looking into his cup and slowly swirling the last of his coffee so she asked him, "More coffee, Phil?"

"Oh, yes thank you. Sorry, I was just considering what you just said."

She got the two of them more coffee and when she returned he was writing in his notebook, on the left side.

Chapter Eight

When she sat down again he said, "Thank you. Okay, so I take it from what you said, that around home he wasn't exactly effusive."

She smiled and said, "That's one word that I don't connect with Peter."

"You doing okay, I mean is this bothering you?"

"I'm okay."

"I want to talk about finances a minute. I'm not going to ask you detailed and personal questions, but...let's try it this way. Did you and Peter have a blended financial arrangement or did each of you have your own money?"

"In the beginning it was pretty well blended, but as time went on and he started to change, my writing income started to amount to something. It was at that point that I insisted on splitting the expenses and so forth."

"I have to think that was a very smart move on your part."

"As it turned out it was."

"Did he...were there times when he seemed to have more money than other times?" She paused for several seconds and the question seemed to bother her, but at last she said, "Yes. He never seemed pressed for cash, but there were times when comments or purchases told me that he was feeling pretty flush and almost reckless with his spending."

"For example."

"For example, he would invite a half a dozen couples to join us for dinner and then pick up the tab, and I'm not talking about your average neighborhood restaurant."

"So you're talking in the thousands."

"The bar tab alone would be a thousand or more."

"Did you ever ask him about it?"

"No, by that point I just didn't care. I was just glad that I had my own money."

"I'm sure."

"What about his circle of friends. Did they ever have those dinner parties and invite you and Peter?"

"Not to the scale that Peter had them."

Phil leaned back and thought a second. Then as he talked he made a couple of notes on the right half of his notebook. Nona was so intrigued by what he was doing she missed his next question. "I'm sorry Phil what was that?"

"I was just asking if the two of you ever fought or was it more of a battle by silence?"

"Oh we fought, and it was anything but silent."

"Over money?"

"No." He just looked at her until she said, "Sex."

"Oh." That answer wasn't one he was expecting and it made him uncomfortable.

"I um...we don't..."

"I'm sorry if that made you uncomfortable."

He smiled then and admitted, "You got me with that answer. Let me ask you this. Was there anything in your...personal life, that if made public. would prove to be damaging to his or your career? I don't want to seem like a voyeur. I'm trying to get a complete feeling about Peter. What drives him, what his weaknesses are, and given a certain situation, how might he react."

123456...8