Hideaway House

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The simple answer to your question is yes there were, or are, things in his life...his sex life, that would prove embarrassing if it were made public."

"Can you elaborate on that at all?"

She looked toward the far wall and then to Phil and said, "Let's come back this later after I've had something more than coffee to drink."

"Of course, would you like to stop for a few minutes?"

"Long enough to dump this coffee and get something else, would you care to join me in a glass or three of sherry?"

"Yes, I'd like that."

"There's something about sherry that gives me strength. It will also make me drunk if I'm not careful."

When Nona returned with their glasses of sherry, she set hers down and sat down again, but this time she was just a little closer to him. It wasn't a conscious decision, but more a matter of that's where she ended up, but she didn't move away either. He was writing in his notebook again and again it was on the right side. "Another question to ask or another answer given?"

"What? Oh just some thoughts."

"Phil, this whole topic is more than a little awkward for me."

"I'm sure it is, Nona. Bad relationships always leave some debris behind, broken dreams, broken hearts, and bad memories for example."

"It sounds like you might have been through a rough one too."

"I'm divorced too."

"Your choice or hers?"

"Mine. She discovered the glories of cocaine."

"Oh no," Phil took a long taste of his drink and said, "I'm not exactly without blame either, of course. I detest drugs and I always have, but I used to like us to get out of town and raise our share of hell. I like to have a good time, but only in a way that suits my partner and me. Watching her getting high on drugs just didn't get it for me. In addition to or because of the drugs, toward the end, she was getting just a little too wild for me."

"Do you know what became of her?"

"No, she pretty much dropped out of sight after I left, but of course I didn't exactly go looking for her either."

Phil knew that his afternoon with Nona hardly resembled any interview he had ever had with anybody before. He did need to ask her those questions and more, but it was almost more important for him to just be with her. His attempts at separating his function as a detective, and as a man very interested in this wonderful woman were failing miserably. She seemed willing to provide him with the information that he needed, but the cost to him could be considerable. He was getting in over his head with this woman and it was going to hurt like hell when he ran out of excuses to see her.

Once Nona had emptied her glass and refilled it Phil asked her, "Did Peter have any affairs or one night stands that you were aware of?"

"I suspected it for some time, but toward the end I was certain of it. I just couldn't connect a specific name to any of his flings."

"So you don't know if it was the same woman each time or several."

"My guess would be different women. I think for him it was more a matter of conquest than anything else."

"Would you consider him controlling?"

"Oh yes."

"Phil, isn't there anything else you can tell me about why these questions?"

"I just know that there are allegations of favors asked and given that wouldn't be looked upon kindly by certain people in power. I also know that there have been some, shall we say after hours events, that could ruin careers and make for some very interesting reading."

"All involving Peter?"

"Any, all, or none, and that's one of the things I'm trying to shed light on for John Mosby, the detective in D.C."

"So you don't know all of the specifics then."

"I'm afraid not."

"But you suspect Peter is an active player in that drama."

"I suspect him more and more. Nona, is there any part of you that feels the need to protect him?"

She almost laughed when she said, "No, I feel nothing for him at all."

She looked at her nearly empty glass and put it down and leaned back against the couch before saying, "Now what were those other questions you wanted to ask me?" He started to turn toward her, but decided it might be easier for her if he wasn't looking into her eyes. Instead he leaned back next to her and looked across the room at nothing in particular.

"I was getting the impression that he had sexual tendencies that you didn't exactly approve of."

She took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

"You have no idea how embarrassing this is going to be for me."

"Is there anything I can do to make it easier for you?"

"I don't think so."

"Is it safe to assume that your love life was normal and happy in the beginning?"

"Yes it was for about the first nine months or so."

"Then what happened?"

"I don't know if I can go through with this or not, Phil." He leaned forward then and with his elbows on his knees just looked toward the kitchen in silence. "Phil, this is all so damn personal and awkward for me."

"Nona, I understand, I really do." Then against all reason he took her hand in his and held on to it as he said, "If you can't tell me, then I guess you just can't."

She studied his face as he looked down at their hands and then she blurted out, "He tied me up while I was naked and exposed me to a couple of his cronies." That about knocked the wind out of him. He squeezed her hand without realizing it but kept his eyes down.

Then in a near whisper he said, "That bastard."

Nona finally looked away from him but made no attempt to take her hand away from his. It felt comforting to her to have him hold her so firmly, so she continued.

"Peter and I had played at light bondage several times. We had fun with it. He didn't like being tied up, but I didn't mind and at times even asked for it." Then it hit her just how much she was revealing to Phil and her embarrassment returned, so she suddenly stopped. He slowly relaxed his hold on her hand, but didn't release it and continued to stare at their hands as they rested on her knee. When he looked at her she couldn't take her eyes away from his.

"Nona...you don't have to do this. I don't want to drag you through those memories any more."

"There were other things that happened before that day, but it was after that happened that I left him." Her eyes never left his until she had finished what she had to say.

Without letting go of her hand he said, "Thank you. I can only guess what you went through and I'm so sorry that it happened to you."

"Thank you." He didn't want to leave her, but he couldn't think of any more questions to ask her. His reason for being there had been exhausted.

"Nona, I'll be very careful how I word my report to John Mosby."

"Thank you Phil, I'd appreciate that." He pulled his hand away then and said, "I'll get out of here and let you get on with your day."

"Phil, thank you for being so caring."

As they stood up he paused and said, "I finally get to meet my favorite author and what do I do? I make her sad and even cry," and he gently wiped away a single tear from her cheek. She gave him a weak smile, but said nothing.

They walked to the door and paused there and she said, "If you have more questions let me know."

"Thank you, I'll do that."

He stepped out onto the small cement porch and she said, "You're my favorite fan, so take care of yourself."

"I will, Nona." She closed the door and wandered back to the living room and dropped onto the couch again. She felt drained and sad from dragging out those awful memories. But at the same time, she had to smile. She liked having Phil in her house. She liked how he watched her and worried about her. Her hand touched her cheek as she remembered how he had wiped away that one tear. Then her hand touched the other hand as she remembered how he held it so firmly and called Peter a bastard. He had been hurting right along with her.

Chapter Nine

It had been over a week since Phil had asked her all of those questions and she had returned to her writing and put those bad memories of Peter to rest once again. Her article for Conde Nast was finished and had been emailed to them, and she had finally finished a chapter in her book that she had been struggling with. She was thinking about taking an afternoon off and go shopping or something when she got a call.

"Hi Nona, it's Cal."

"Hello, I was beginning to think you had disappeared."

"I was wondering if the offer to meet me in Lexington was still valid."

"When did you have in mind?"

"How about tomorrow?"

"Okay. There's a restaurant next door to the Super Eight Motel so how about there?"

"Great, say one?"

"I'll meet you there then."

"It's good to hear your voice Nona, see you tomorrow." After hanging up she stood there for a minute. She had pretty much written him out of her life and she still might, but she had to admit that she was looking forward to seeing him again.

Nona beat him to the restaurant and watched him as he approached her at the door. His slacks looked custom tailored and perfect and his casual shirt didn't appear to have a wrinkle in it despite a forty five minute drive. They shared an embrace and kisses on the cheek and then went inside. As they waited for their order he asked her, "How is the writing coming along?"

"Very well, I've been struggling with a chapter for three weeks and last night I finally finished that, so I feel pretty good about it."

"Congratulations then."

"Thank you. So how have you been?"

"Doing well, Mr. Bingham has decided to do some renovations and add another small wing to the inn, so it's getting pretty busy around there."

"I'm sure it is."

"Have you had anymore visits by the detectives?"

"No, just that one." She didn't feel like getting into the matter of Phil investigating Peter but continued with, "Anything new in the investigation?"

"I don't think it's been in the news, but word has it that Rex Pascoe, Loretta's ex, has been hauled in for questioning twice now and he's not very happy about that."

"I'm sure not."

"Then Ralph Payton has been questioned at least once, but I believe more than that, and he's crying foul and harassment to anybody that will listen."

"That can't be good for his lobbying efforts."

"I think it's killing him."

"Good. I gather there has been no progress then in finding her killer."

"Nothing has been released anyway."

"Has Rex been back to the inn since then?"

"No. I don't think that would be very smart of him, at least not until things settle down and her killer has been found."

"I wonder if they ever figured out who the woman was on the tape, assuming there ever was one in the first place."

"That's one of those things that we'll never know I'm sure." For the next hour they talked about anything but the murder and about each other. Nona knew without it being discussed that the construction and renovation project were going to consume a lot of Cal's time and that it wasn't likely that she would see him again. When they parted, it was with more kisses on the cheek and promises to get together again that would never be kept.

It was the following Tuesday when Nona answered her phone and heard, "Hi, it's your most ardent admirer."

"I thought you were my fan."

"I'm more than your fan now; I just finished The Technical Difference."

"You have read my book already? I'm impressed."

"You should be it cost me a night's sleep."

"Did you like it?"

"Of course I did. I'm allowing my secretary to read it, but only after she promised that she will wash her hands each time before she picks it up."

"I'm sure."

"You can ask her."

"I just may."

"Am I forgiven for making you suffer the last time?"

"Of course you are. Are you done with your investigation now?"

"No. In fact I have a request."

"I'm listening."

"Would you make me a list of the people that Peter liked to wine and dine or whatever?"

"Phil it's been so long, I don't know how many I will remember."

"I'll take you out to dinner if you'll do that for me."

"And if I say no?"

"I'll still ask you out for dinner, but you'll have to listen to me whine."

"When do you need this list?"

"At your convenience or day after tomorrow whichever comes first."

"You're pretty funny for a detective. Okay, let me think about it and see if I can do you any good." He wanted to tell her that just hearing her voice did him a lot of good, but he stopped himself.

"Nona, thank you once again."

"I'll call your office when I have something."

"Thank you."

"But I'm not forgetting about dinner either."

"I'm not either."

"Bye, Phil."

"Bye."

She noticed her car keys in her hand and realized talking to him had made her forget she was on her way to the grocery when he called, but now it wasn't important to her.

Nona thought about his request and knew just who to call for help. When her call was answered she said, "Hi, Angela this is Nona."

"Oh my god, how are you?"

"I'm fine and you?"

"I'm great, this is such a surprise."

"It's been a long time."

"I'll bet we haven't talked in close to a year."

"Would you have time to have tea with me at Christie's?"

"I'd love it, when were you thinking?"

"I'm flexible but how about later today some time."

There was a short pause and then she said, "How about four?"

"That would be fine."

"The only bad thing is I have to be out of there by five thirty."

"We'll just have to talk faster then."

"Wonderful, see you there." Nona remembered that Angela loved Christie's. It was just a little too fluffy and pretentious for her, but since she was going to ask Angela for a favor, she had to set the stage first.

Angela's new husband was Congressman Simmons, so she knew how to play the socialite game, but if you got her alone and relaxed she could be as earthy as anybody. She was one of the few of that elevated social circle that Nona ever really liked. She was good at playing the game but never let all of her money and influence corrupt her. Nona spent an hour looking for just the right slacks and blouse for the occasion and left the house leaving her bedroom and closet in shambles.

When Nona got to Christie's, she found Angela waiting for her. They exchanged a delicate embrace and gave each other glancing kisses on the cheek. "Nona, you look wonderful, single life must agree with you."

"I'm doing okay, but I have to say being married to Jack Simmons seems to agree with you."

"He's a sweetheart." The two women were seated at Angela's favorite table and for the next half an hour they talked about what was going on in each other's

lives. Nona told her about the Paradise Found Inn and meeting Cal and managed to mention meeting different people that Angela would either know or be very aware of.

"Oh Nona, you had quite a time of it."

"I did until poor Loretta Dunhill's murder."

"Oh my god, you were there then?"

"I had lunch with her just the day before."

"That must have been a ghastly shock for you."

"It certainly was. Cal and I were just coming back from dinner when he got the call."

"My you certainly have been getting around. Cal Glassman is quite the man I hear."

"He's every inch a gentleman and a very impressive man."

"Oh sounds like you might want to see more of him."

"I don't think so. He's so busy and about to get busier. I want a man that I can count on to be there if I need him."

"Well at least you're not locking yourself away."

"Not completely."

The waiter refilled their cups so the women were quiet until he was gone again and Angela said, "Nona, I see your last novel did well."

"Not bad at all, but I think the one I'm working on now will do better."

"I'm sure it will."

"Angela, a private investigator contacted me recently. He's doing some kind of security background check for a company and Peter's name came up. He wondered if I could provide him with a list of people that he socializes with, but you know, I realized it's been so long that I just can't think of a lot of them. I was hoping you might be able to help me."

"Is this investigator cute?"

"No, he's handsome and so very charming."

"Oh better yet."

"Now Angela, you're still almost a newlywed, you should still be starry eyed."

She laughed and said, "I'm too old to get starry eyed, and besides I can still look and admire."

"That's so true."

Showing Angela her list Nona said, "These are some names that came to my mind."

Angela glanced at the list and said, "Well, there's Fay and Payne Southgate."

"Oh yes."

"Then...well, there's Polly Franklin. Nona, were you aware that Peter was...well you know playing around?"

"Yes, I found out a couple of months before I left him. Polly Franklin wasn't one of his women certainly, she's too old for him."

"Oh darling, for Peter it isn't about age, it's about influence. If the woman can help him, he'll sleep with her even if she's eighty and in a wheelchair."

"Oh Angela, surely you exaggerate."

"Not by much. Nona, Peter tried more than once to get into my panties too."

"No."

"I'm afraid so. I think it was right after you left him."

"This is all so unbelievable. What about, oh what's her name...Patricia..."

"Lockland."

"Yes, Lockland."

"I don't know if he succeeded, but she told me he was doing his best to charm her."

"I can't believe these women can't see through him."

"Oh some do I'm sure, but what's more important to them is they have a young man that wants to screw them and flatter them. Sorry, I guess I shouldn't talk about Peter that way."

"Angela, I love how you say what's on your mind. Don't worry about offending me, marrying Peter ended up being one of the biggest mistakes I ever made, but I did something about it, just not soon enough."

"Well, in that case, I'll tell you this too. Starting well before your divorce, Peter has managed to screw at least half the women we can name and who knows how many that we can't name."

"My god, I don't know what to say. Is he still like that, or does his new wife keep him in line?"

"I seriously doubt that."

"I've never seen her. What does she look like?"

"Tall, not all that pretty, but elegant in a way with very long hair." Angela had provided Nona with a lot more information than she had expected to get, and when she left the restaurant her head was still spinning a little with all that she had learned.

Chapter Ten

Nona typed the list of names into the computer, and even alphabetized them and then printed them off. She didn't have any idea what good those names would do Phil, and she didn't really care. There was a part of her that hoped by her providing Phil with the names and the other dirt that Angela had provided her with, would somehow screw up Peter's life. Then she thought about that awful day when he had tied her up and displayed her to those men. It was clear to her that he was looking for favors from those men and was trying to show off for them by letting them see her. Had she remained calm rather than scream so loudly, she had little doubt that events would have progressed much farther. Then she remembered the names of those men and added them to the list, and reprinted it before calling Phil's office and leaving a message that the list was ready.

Phil called her Wednesday morning and said, "You work fast."

"And hello to you too. I enlisted the help of a friend."

"Then I should take her to dinner too, but I won't because then I'd have to share your attentions and I'm too selfish for that."

"She gave me a lot more information about Peter too."

"Fantastic. Now about dinner, when would you have time?"

"Well, I have to eat dinner at least once a day, so you tell me."

123456...8