Longwood Second Hunt Day 09-10

Story Info
Drop off dead and find a gal to teach.
14.1k words
4.8
6k
00

Part 5 of the 7 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 06/18/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
emap
emap
237 Followers

Little more voting if'n you please.

**

Dan wakes me this day, him sitting up spills me over so I swat him. Looking around I find that the sky is barely lit so stop moving to listen. All I can hear is the wind so look up at Dan, he looks back after a moment.

"Could have sworn I heard something."

Hop up and work on getting dressed fast. Dan does the same though he looks a little unsure. At least until I help him get dressed, odd sounds are not always nothing. When we are both dressed with belts on we head for the drop first. Nothing down below so we check in the camp. Nothing in camp besides us, the dead, and the horses.

Said horses are still asleep so not a predator, at least probably. So we trek up the closest hill to take a look around. Nothing on the hill tops in view so we move farther over and look down. Nothing down below, the snow is disturbed but looks to be animal and not coming up. Well that leaves only one place to look, so we look up.

Got birds up there, great big black ones circling. Surprising since vultures tend to land at night and stay there until the sky is lit by the sun. Which it is but not all that much, gives me a suspicion so check the other drops on this hill then move for the middle hill. Likewise nothing there so we move for the last hill.

This is where we find it, there is a dead animal at the base of this hill. No other tracks so it walked along and died. Look at Dan a moment then sigh because we better go check.

"Dan do you want to go look to see if rabid?" Dan groans and shakes his head.

"Not really, and I don't want you to either, suppose it isn't dead?"

I grin and pull out a Colt. Dan looks at the Colt, then at me and sighs then nods so down we go. Getting closer we find it is a wolf. At least it is not a cat, they do play dead while a wolf does not. Wolves will send one to pull after into the rest, but will not play dead. Cats on the other hand will lie there and let you get close afore swing.

Closer still and we find the wolf was attacked. Can't tell from what and not going to check. If the attacker was rabid we can get rabid just by checking. Checking the track we find no blood spots, even walk back it a spell to make sure. Means the attack was not that recent and animal got away to walk before death.

Speaks rather well on the strength of the wolf to do that. Usually when in a fight severe enough to warrant death the wolf does not get away. Suppose would be what Dan heard, and the vultures as well, the wolf groaned out his last. Full of admiration for the wolf we head back to camp to find everyone up and morning vittles cooking.

"Where did you two go?"

"Dan heard a noise so we investigate. Vultures hear as well, wolf base of hill groaned out his last. Powerful wolf, got in big fight and could not live but walked away first." Bipin and Elan nod then utter a prayer for the wolf.

"What are we doing now?"

"Now we have vittles, pack up camp, and get to next town. Little chance of finding the man we hunt in hills. So we go see if stopped here or not." Marshal nods and nobody seems to have anything to say.

"Seems we may want to empty pockets of dead soon." Look at Dan powerful confused then recall Dan pay for everything and we keep buying.

"Dan, you only one paying, did no one bring coin?"

"Ach lass me gal not be letting me keep me pay. Usually not matter since we bring supplies and you hunt." I snort at sergeant, that is funny and almost as good as sergeant morning.

"I am fresh out of West Point, little pay." Cucaracha says turning red a little, the marshals likewise red.

"We are both new to marshal so pay is light." Dan leans on me.

"Janet our kids grown but slow to make coin." I snort and giggle at that one, Bia joins in.

"That was good."

Nobody else seems to like that joke though, so talking stops and we all just enjoy our vittles. When we finish vittles the men head for the horses and dead to get them ready. Bia and Chun eye me for a moment then move in. My shirt is pulled up and they fasten to my breasts to suckle. I can't help the sigh that comes out, was hurting.

Once they finish emptying me we all fall to on the pans and plates. They are cleaned right quick then we are packing up. Luckily the men have come back to help on that so we have the camp packed and we are following the camp on the horses. After a little pondering on it I lead us toward the town.

Leads us to the road as well since I angle us and not straight for town. Best to reach town on the road since this town looks to be the same as Longwood was, one street and buildings touching. Brings to mind one thing so I may as well ask Chun.

"How big a building do you need for the eatery and machines?" Chun sighs and shrugs.

"Don't rightly know, Amanda can't decide on just selling or selling and having tables." Well this is powerful confusing so look at Dan, he looks back and shrugs.

"Reckon Amanda can't figure on having a proper eatery or a store." I get that one though don't get that one.

"If making ice cream, how does one do a store?" Dan looks confused as well though Chun giggles.

"If all we do is sell ice cream to take we will have a butcher icebox to store the ice cream. Would mean we use up a good portion of the ice made each day just for that."

"So the ice is stacked on the butcher icebox?" Chun shakes her head.

"A butcher icebox is not like a regular, instead of ice going on top the ice goes inside and the door is shut to keep everything cold. The ice still melts but takes a good portion of day." I think we are all staring at Chun.

"How do you know this?" Dan asks making Chun giggle.

"We asked Bartholomew, when we were trying to figure what to make. Amanda likes to make ice cream and I can help since most of is turning a crank. We also found out about a counter that we can put the ice cream in with shaved ice around the tubs. Has a certain appeal and would be gotten for the store if all we do." Bia waves her hand.

"Do eatery, no one wants ice cream in winter."

We all look around and well Bia has a point, there is snow on the ground. Not really a good time to have cold sweet thing. Still Bia said this, rather odd though I am just about the only one who does not eat the sweets.

"Dan did we sent out telegraph to ask Amanda to look at hand pie?" Dan sighs so I think that is a no, so urge pinto over to him and swat.

"Janet I was talking to sheriff about dead when you got mad at the store man. Was planning on going there after but seemed best to get us out of town."

Reckon that is a good thought, I was powerful mad in that town. Calling me a Mexican just sits wrong in my craw. We also reach the road finally so we can speed up a mite. No galloping but a right proper trot. Next town is coming in to view, still distance and seems to be no church.

"Dan do you see church?" We all look and everybody can't find church.

"Oh shoot, let's check with binoculars."

Cucaracha gets out the binoculars and looks at the town a spell. He is looking here and there at the town and has a frown. Frown myself, if no church is odd town, church go up before most other buildings.

"No sign of a church. Perhaps they are building new church, wagons not travel along trail in winter so good time to build."

"This is a bad sign." I look over at Dan plum confused, he looks back after a moment and sighs. "Just, if injun attack town they would target church."

"Ach lad that is good point, attack on town most run for church." I look back at sergeant then Cucaracha.

"Is there injun tribe in this area?" Both nod.

"We are at the edge of it but Apache do travel in this area still. Should we be worried about them attacking us?" Bipin and Elan snort.

"Three Apache in group plus Janet. All Apache know of Cherokee and like as not word of Janet has spread."

"May find husband for Bia." Bia snorts and shakes her head.

"No, not bonding with war tribe. Will bond with man on reservation or start up own farm with one." Powerful good notion, no real danger of losing man, though there is one thing.

"Dan would two injun be allowed off reservation to start up farm?" Dan nods.

"You recall captain said as much." I nod then shrug.

"Area captain said is allowed is part of reservation now, was only going to be then." Sergeant snorts.

"Orders we have on it, if a couple injun want to start up farm off reservation we can let them go and do it. Would give paper saying they are allowed and to direct to stay near to a town so not confused for attacking."

Fall quiet for a spell, not much to talk about really. Also nervous since if town was attacked they will not look kindly on injun. Not blame none, just makes hard to stay alive if not alert. As we get closer the town does not get prepared to meet us so maybe not attack on town. Not that I relax, though do have a thought.

"Bia why not bond with Elan?" Both shake their head.

"Have girl picked out, need to be blooded first." Most everyone looks confused besides us injun and Dan, I told him about it.

"Chief daughter, only bond with blooded since man may become chief."

Now that nobody is confused anymore we keep going. The town is getting bigger, and we are not noticed. No rushing about to get rifles, sheriff or deputies do not come out. The whole thing is rather surprising and not a good thing.

"Dan, town feel wrong." Dan nods and sighs.

"Stay alert, never seen robbers take over and take down church but should see sheriff or deputy by now." The marshals groan, apparently they have been told about this.

Finally we reach the town, perhaps at edges would be better. Town is like I thought one street and not seeing any people. Look over at Dan to get a shrug then he nods his head toward side. Nod then look to the side to see if perhaps people are hiding. No people in buildings. Even lean over to look in and no people.

Do see things to buy in buildings so town not abandoned. At least not cleaned out abandoned so this powerful confusing.

"No people, but things to buy."

"Same over here."

"Dan would they perhaps be out of sight?" Look over at Dan and get a head shake.

"No, even if town was just robbed or attack happened any left would not hide at a passing group."

"Church raising maybe." Good thought but do not think church goes up quiet.

"No sound of church raising, not quiet work."

"May have caught them while they connect and brace the first wall to raise." Look over at sergeant and shrug.

"Would whole town take part?" Everybody nods.

"Back in New York the year before I went to Longwood there was a church raising. Did not work that day, went with folks and helped do up the food, kept the kids out of the way, and at the end of the day gave out a roll. Every person that would attend that church and a few who had a different came to help."

"Would injuns come for things here if all they wanted was to kill settlers?" Look back at marshal and nod.

"Yes, tribe always need things. Food in store, and cloth, blankets. If attack on town ends with town dead injun would grab everything that has use for tribe. Likely burn town after take, wish to not have settlers continue, burned town work for that." Dan shakes his head.

"A town burnt down would be reported and have cavalry come to return the attack." Look at Cucaracha and get nod so toss up hands.

"Cavalry not settlers and can be avoided or killed." Cucaracha shakes his head.

"Forts are small forces compared to a division which would come for a burnt town. A division would be two thousand men with rifles plus cannons." Oh my, that is powerful group.

No more to say on that so we just continue on through the town. Still no people and the location of the church is still unknown. At the edge of town I stop and look back, long town.

"Dan houses on street?"

"Yes, they were on other side so you did not see them."

Not a bad plan, strange but not bad. Then we hear some groaning, that would be the church raising. Perhaps something else though not likely. A man's voice fills the air entreating the almighty god to bless the men with strength. So we turn and head that way, if all the town is there then we should stop and see them.

Would prefer to lose the dead in this town. Continue to next town with them would be powerful bad, did not sleep that well. Course the hard fast roll did help but still did not sleep well. Sergeant moves up next to me and Dan is on other side. Makes me feel a bit like prisoner but would allow town to see this not injun attack or uprising.

If this town at border of roaming tribes than would see or hear tell of injun attacks. Likely best to not show them first an injun riding on them. Then we are cresting a hill and can see the church being raised. Also see the town and they see us, a shout goes up getting many to look at us. Sergeant raises his hand and waves getting a few waves back and an older man moseys on over.

Man has a shotgun slung over one arm but not together so not meaning to threaten. Get to about fifty feet and he puts his hand up. I smile at this, good distance for shotgun and fast to ready held the way he is.

"Howdy folks, what brings you over in to these parts?"

"Town sheriff with deputy, marshals, cavalry, and some injun hunting down a gang. Found another gang in a house just afore the hills before this town so hoping sheriff knows of them. If not would like to give work to undertaker, Janet here not sleep well with dead near." Man spits on ground and nods.

"Ayup I know how that is, find it hard to sleep near them meself. What sort of injuns you got with?"

"One Cherokee and three Apache. Also have Chun, she is Chinese most consider her injun aside us injun." Dan snorts and the man snorts.

"I seen me a chinamen once, not look injun to me. Course I seen injun as well, not some greenhorn here." He spits on ground then looks up at me. "Would you be a Cherokee and named Janet?" I nod and he hoots then turns. "Cherokee Janet is here." He hollers this out and everyone turns to look, the women come running one in the lead.

I look over at Dan as the women come closer, he shrugs then hops off his horse. Motions me to come down so hand reign to sergeant and hop off. Pinto nudges me as I move past him so pull out licorice quick for him and go stand by Dan. The women come charging up, well one charges the rest are a little sedate.

They stop at a short distance away and just stare at me. Plenty of jostling around to see then the talking starts. Mostly on how I'm short, and a few can't believe I am me since I'm injun. Apparently the stories on me are quite popular. Then the man whistles getting them to shush and look at him.

"This is indeed Cherokee Janet, look at her belt." So they are looking at my belt then sergeant whistles and tosses me my Winchester.

"This rifle was given to Janet by Winchester. Show them the plaque Janet." Look at Dan for a quick spell then adjust the rifle so they can see the gold plating on the wood.

Plenty more shoving and jostling goes on then the women seem to have seen my rifle enough. Someone comes up with the idea of offering sandwiches so I'm getting hustled over to the big tables set up with a feast. The priest comes over and enlists the men to go help, seems they did not have enough men to raise the church easy.

Get seated at the tables, they have long benches for sitting, and the women crowd us. Chun and Bia are sitting besides me and we are all fascinating to them. Finally one whistles so there is plenty of sitting and sandwiches are passed around with salad.

"Janet do you really go out after bandits?" I nod then frown.

"Why would I not?" The gal who asked turns red and looks down, the one next to her has some gumption left over.

"Me Pa was always saying that us gals are to keep house and feed our family. Always said the newspaper on you during the war was a lie."

"If you mean the one about catching the deserter in part it was a lie. He did not have maps when we caught him. Far as Dan can figure they went missing when he left and was blamed but found later and not reported."

"Janet hunts around town for us, keeps the pig population in check by shooting the big ones. Always finding coney and on occasion she gets a deer."

Plenty of slack jaws at Chun's say on me so I take the shush moment to take a bite, powerful good sandwich. Everyone else seems to find this a good notion so we all just eat a spell. The men come over shortly after and we all fall too on the sandwiches and salad.

"Janet could you share a story?" Could if we have time for one, so best to ask Dan first.

"Let me ask Dan, we are on a hunt so if our target came through we best be on the way."

Get plenty of nods so hop up and go find Dan. He is sitting with the other men, the older man with the shotgun next to him. They both look up as I get to them and get two smiles.

"We seem to have appreciators here Janet." I nod and shrug.

"The gals are asking if'n can share a tale. Could if we are not in a powerful hurry to catch that gang." The older man sighs and nods.

"Dan was speaking on them, they did ride through so I reckon you are off again." Look at Dan to get a nod then he smiles.

"We are to be off right quick. Can share one of the novel sets though, bought three and they have an address we can have Andrew order to have at the store." I nod and smile, that is a powerful good notion, though there is a question boiling up.

"Why did we buy three sets?" Dan snorts.

"Sergeant was all set to pay us for two to keep at the fort. Can share with the Apache and the recruits that way." I open my mouth to ask on the why until Dan holds his hand up. "Some of the younger Apache seem to be of the notion they can't do nothing no longer. No battles to get blooded and the like. Also some of the recruits seem unwilling to admit an injun is good at something. Safer to show them the novels on you." Frown because that is insulting and powerful bad to hear, still good news for the town here.

"Alright, I will go tell the gals, if you can get sergeant out of the bottle he like as not found have him fetch a set." Sergeant sitting on other side of table waggles his finger at me, though is grinning.

I head back over to the gals before sergeant can think of what to say in way of answer. Get to sit down again and enjoy a little of the salad, odd salad. Has soft chunks of tater with onion and a sauce. Powerful good vittles though so I'm smiling and need to remember to ask Amanda how to make.

"Looks like we are off right quick. Good news though, town ways back had a book store with stories about me and Dan. The gal on the front is round eye and I pray instead of sing but otherwise same as happened like as not. We got three sets of them so shall leave one for you gals to read or hear." Lots of smiles though one has slight frown.

"What do you sing?"

"Like as not the luck song, sometimes I sing instead on having good weapon. Not believe in your god, powerful bad things happen to me cause of some follow. I follow Great Spirit instead though do know all about your god. Preachers would try and convert though give up and instead use me to find powerful good sermon in Kansas City."

Falls shush again so fall to on the vittles, we are leaving soon. Chun ends up in a whisper talk with neighbor who gasps a time or two then does same to her neighbor. The whisper talk makes round of table with lots of gasps. Would ask on the reason but find I not mind, the vittles are good and perhaps should try more of what Amanda make.

"Could you take me along and teach how?" Just stare at the gal, young but not overly so.

"No husband?" She shakes her head.

"Not found one so far and pickings are done cleaned out for me here." Well makes powerful sense, come along with us and may find man, then rest of what was said comes to me.

emap
emap
237 Followers