Love Me Tender - Please Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Kathi
Kathi
579 Followers

Ray smiled and nodded.

Brian was holding two, two-liter bottles of soda and he kept them in his hands as mother and son embraced each other. Ray found Melody at his side with her arm around his waist.

"I love you, dad," she said and squeezed him. "You're the best."

Ray squeezed her back and raised his hand to wipe the tears forming in his eyes.

"Let's eat!" Melody broke the spell by noisily moving a chair away from the table. "I'm starving. Brian, get some glasses."

Brian released Kari and as he passed his father on the way to the kitchen he looked at him and said, "Thanks, dad."

Folding the top under the pizza box so it would fit on the table, Melody busied herself while Kari found the napkins and helped set the table. Ray stood back and watched them get everything ready. Melody never stopped talking about the traffic, the crowd at the pizza shop and the trouble she had finding Brian.

Kari leaned over the table to set the salt and pepper down and once again, her V-string appeared above the waist of her Capris. This time, Melody caught him looking.

"You dirty old man, you," she giggled. "I saw you perving mom. Now get your mind off of her butt so we can eat."

Ray felt himself blush when Kari turned around to see what was going on behind her. Not understanding, she looked from one to the other and getting no help, she sat down at the table.

Sitting across the table from Ray, Kari studied him as he laughed and joked with the kids. She did not feel quite enough at ease to do too much teasing. She made herself hold back but she felt comfortable enough to genuinely laugh along with them as they ragged on each other.

"Did you hear that Brian struck out three times in his last game? He can't keep his eye on the ball while he's looking up Madison's skirt in the bleachers."

"Who's Madison?" Kari asked.

"Just some teeny-bopper that follows him around like a puppy dog in heat. She's going to nursing school and they won't let Brian go with her to take care of her. Will they Brian?"

"I don't want to go with her. She's a nice girl and stop making fun of her."

"Sounds serious," Kari commented.

"Every time I see them they've got their lips stuck together like they've licked super glue."

"OK, OK, you two," Ray said. "Wrap up the leftover pieces and put them in the refrigerator. I'm going to sit out on the patio with your mother for a while."

"I'm glad you came," he said after they were seated outside. "Brian is very happy that you're here."

"It looks like it's working out OK," she sighed. "I was frightened of coming, but I knew I had to face you and the children sooner or later and I figured sooner was better. I don't know what I would have done if you had rejected me."

"I have a feeling you would have been OK. You're different. You seem more confident and stronger somehow. Texas has been good to you?"

"Yes, Texas has been good to me but so has my recovery program and my sponsor and my friends. I've learned a lot over the last two years."

"It has been almost two years, hasn't it? It seems longer than that to me."

"I agree with what you said before. I hope we can remain friends and I want us to be able to talk about our children even if there is no future for us together."

"Yes, of course, definitely. I'm glad you're willing to give it a try. I want to start some kind of relationship with you. I don't know where it will go but I don't want to throw away our good years."

"Thank you," she whispered and standing she leaned down and kissed his forehead. "I'd better be going. What time do you want me here tomorrow?"

"Uh, anytime you want, I guess," and got up with her. "We have to be at the ball field by noon but you can come early and ride in with us if you want."

"That would be nice," she replied. "I'll be here by eleven. Is that OK?"

"That's fine," he replied and followed her into the kitchen.

"I'm leaving now," she said to Brian and Melody. "I'll see you tomorrow morning. Thank you and I love you both."

Embracing Brian, she kissed him on the cheek and told him how proud she was of him before moving to Melody and hugging her.

"Thank you," she whispered into her ear. "You're a very special person."

"That's because I'm my mother's daughter. Why don't you stay," Melody whispered back. "Dad's got a king-sized bed you know."

"Melody!" she exclaimed and pulled away. "Stop that, you're embarrassing me. Good night."

"I'll walk you to your car," Ray said and followed her to the door.

Melody called after them sarcastically, "Sure, Dad. You do that. She might get lost between the front door and the driveway. Don't let her get away."

"I'll see you tomorrow," Ray said as they stood in the open door of Kari's SUV. "Mom and Dad will be glad to see you."

"Let's not go that far," she cautioned him. "My father is barely talking to me after two years so I'm not sure yours will be all forgiving."

"They don't really know what happened," he assured her. "I never told them everything. I just told them that we had problems and you were going to take some time to work out your side of things. They are not in the best of health and sometimes I wonder if they know what day it is. They probably don't even remember that we're divorced. Just play it by ear with them, OK?"

Kari was unsure if she should try and kiss him goody-bye or to not. He helped her up into the driver's seat and looked into her eyes. Holding her hand for a moment, he covered it with his other one and clasping it between his palms, gave it a little squeeze.

"See you tomorrow morning," he said and closed the door for her.

Kari drove carefully through the traffic on the way back to her hotel. She was glad that her visit went well but she was afraid to read too much into Ray's acceptance of her. She was prepared to answer all of his questions about why she did what she did but he had not asked any. He seemed to accept everything she said at face value. She was not sure if he was willing to forgive her for what she had done to them.

"Well, maybe not forgive," she reminded herself. "He reminded me that he might not be able to forgive me. But, he also said he was willing to start from tonight and not go back and resurrect the old Karen."

She stopped at a traffic light and realized that she did not know where she was. She had been driving on automatic for the last fifteen minutes. Looking around she reoriented herself and waited for the light to change.

"That's all well and good," she said aloud. "What happens when something triggers a memory that he can't handle? I don't want to be placed in the position of hurting him or me or the children because of something I did in the past that I can't change."

Ray's ringtone sounded just as Kari pulled up in front of the hotel.

Thinking it was Melody calling, she jokingly answered it with, "Isn't it time for you to be in bed, young lady?"

"No, I'm a big boy now," Ray's laughing voice came through to her ear. "I get to use my phone now and then even when Melody's around."

"Oh, Ray. I'm sorry. I thought it was Melody. Hold on, I'm at the hotel and the valet wants my car."

He could hear her talking to someone and then her voice came back on the phone.

"Ray?" she said.

"Look, call me when you get up to your room. OK?"

"OK, I'll talk to you in a few minutes."

Kari headed for the bathroom as soon as she got back to her room. She started undressing while sitting on the toilet and by the time she finished peeing, she was down to her camisole. She felt a little surge of pleasure when she wiped herself and she lingered there for a few seconds. She was surprised that she had become aroused when Ray held her but she could not deny the moisture she was producing.

Still wearing her shoes, because of her phobia about walking around barefoot on hotel carpets, she stripped off her top and turned out all of the lights in the room. Standing at the window, she looked out at the river and the lights below. Using her cell phone, she called the number that she used to know as her own and waited for an answer. Ray answered on the third ring and told her that he had just come out of the shower.

"The reason that I'm calling is to ask you to come back early tomorrow morning and have breakfast with us. Melody and I can cook up a pretty decent breakfast and we'd, I mean I, would love to have you join us."

Kari's heart lurched a little and she did not hesitate in her response, "I'd love to. What time do you want me there?"

"You can come at seven if you want but I doubt if Melody and Brian will be awake by then. Anytime after seven will be great. The earlier the better, OK?"

"Yes, that will be fine. Uh, Ray, I really enjoyed my evening with you and the kids and thank you for letting me talk to you and get all of those things off of my chest."

"We enjoyed seeing you again and I have to admit that I wasn't sure how I was going to react, but I'm glad you came."

"Thanks, me too."

"Can you see the river from your room," he asked to change the subject.

"Yes, I'm looking at it as I'm talking to you. It is beautiful at night. The lights make it look like a fairyland."

"Well, I better let you go and get some sleep. See you early tomorrow. Goodnight. Sleep well."

Kari heard the pause in Ray's voice after he said goodnight and she half expected him to follow it with "I love you." She realized how much the whole evening had affected her and put her into a romantic mood that neither of them were ready for at this time.

"Goodnight, I will," she said softly and closed the phone.

Kari stood silently at the window for a moment before raising her eyes to the black sky.

"Thank you, God," she prayed and opening her phone again, she pressed the Speed Dial for her sponsor.

Chapter 59

Kari carried a change of clothes to wear to the graduation when she went to breakfast at Ray's on Saturday morning. She wore her fuchsia Capris and the matching cowl-neck top with the loose waist that revealed her belly and lower back when she moved. She thought the low-waist style showed off her body and she wanted to look a little sexy for Ray this morning. Instead of heels she wore dressy flat-heeled sandals that flattered her feet.

It was a little before eight when she rang the bell to her former home.

"Wow! You look great!" he gushed when he opened the door and stood staring at her.

She started to blush and her face and neck almost turned the color of her outfit as his eyes traveled up and down her body.

"May I come in?" she asked in a kidding voice.

"Uh, sure. I'm sorry. I was just looking … I mean I was just admire … please come in."

There was an awkward silence after he closed the door and stood staring at her. He looked like he was carrying on an internal debate about whether or not to kiss her when she broke the silence.

"Where can I hang these?" she asked. "I thought I'd freshen up and change before we leave for the ceremony."

"Here, mom, I'll take them," Melody said appearing from behind her father. "Go on out into the kitchen. The coffees ready. You look fantastic!"

"Thanks," Kari responded and kissed Melody on the cheek.

Melody carried the clothes and the little bag of what she figured was her mother's makeup and shoes up the stairs. Turning at the top of the stairs she first moved towards the guest room before changing direction and carried everything into the master bedroom. Hanging the garments onto the back of the closet door, she placed the bag on the bed. Pleased with herself at what she had done, she smiled and went back downstairs.

Ray and Kari were already sitting on the patio having coffee when she entered the kitchen. She heard the toaster pop up and the top of a bagel appeared.

"Do you want peanut butter on your bagel?" she called to her mother.

"Yes, thank you, you remembered," Kari responded.

Melody spread peanut butter on the halves of the bagel and pouring herself another cup of coffee she carried them out to join her father and his ex-wife at the table.

"We're almost like a family again," she thought as she pulled up a chair and sat down across from them.

Brian appeared bare-chested in his sleep shorts and pouring himself a cup of coffee, he joined them on the patio.

"Mornin'," he mumbled and leaned over to kiss his mother. "What's everybody doing up so early?"

"It's not early, Soda Jerk, it's late," Melody teased. "You're graduating today, remember?"

Kari watched and listened as they bantered with each other as only siblings can. She looked over and blushed when she saw Ray watching her with a little smile on his face.

"Finish your breakfast and get ready to go to work," he ordered the children. "We have a lot to do before we leave for the school. I want to have everything set up and ready so when the guests arrive we look like we know what we're doing around here."

"What can I do to help?" Kari asked as she rose from the table and collected the cups and dishes.

"The rented folding tables and chairs are out in the garage. As soon as Brian gets his body moving, he can help me carry them in and set them up. There is a sliced ham and luncheon meats in the garage refrigerator and Melody has all the stuff to make salads and dip. I have to make a beer and soft drink run but the rest will be just setting the tables and stuff like that."

Ray watched as Kari went into the kitchen and put the dishes in the sink. She opened the drawer where the aprons were stored and pulled out a pink apron that had "Best Mom" embroidered on it. Holding it up for inspection, she hesitated and started to fold it to return it to the drawer.

"Put it on, it's OK," Ray said in a quiet voice. "The kids will like to see you wearing it."

"Thanks," she replied and he could see her eyes well up as she slipped it over her neck and tied it around her waist.

"Everything is where it was before you left," he said with a catch in his voice. "Just like the apron drawer. Don't wait for me to tell you what to do. Treat it like your own home."

She detected a little tremor in his voice but he opened the door to the laundry room and disappeared into the garage before she could reply.

"Don't start reading anything into anything," she admonished herself. "Everybody's on new ground here and emotions are a little high, so cool it."

The rest of the morning went by quickly and they soon had all of the food prepared and covered and ready to be put out onto the tables. Ray had not returned from his beer and soda run and Melody and Kari sat down to wait for him to return.

"I'm so glad you're here," Melody said. "I know Brian appreciates it and dad is glad you came. I can tell."

"Thanks, but I have to be careful," Kari replied. "I don't want to give anyone the impression that something will come from this. I don't want to be disappointed and I don't want to hurt your father again."

"I know but I wish it were not like that. I can see dad watching you and I wish I could read his mind. I don't want to push him or you into anything and screw things up."

"There may not be anything to screw up," Kari responded. "I don't know if it is possible to ever go beyond being friendly enough to cooperate with raising you two. In the next few years you'll be out on your own."

"I'm already out on my own except for paying my tuition of course. The scholarship dad got me helps a lot but I know that he was paying for the balance of it until you offered to do it. Dad makes a lot of money now, a lot more than he used to when he was teaching. He has a super reputation around here and in other parts of the country too. He's talking about going out and forming a new company on his own."

"I know," Kari told her. "I've tried to keep up with what he's doing and besides the things that you tell me, I read a lot about him. I still keep in touch with Adele."

"I think she's coming tomorrow and I think Mr. Flannery and his wife are coming too."

"Why would they be coming? Who invited them?"

"I guess dad did. I don't know. Why? What's wrong?"

"I didn't realize that your father stayed in touch with any of those people."

"Sure he does. I think dad and Mr. Flannery have some kind of business arrangement. I don't know, ask him."

A car horn sounded and they both got up to help Ray carry the beverages into the garage. Working together, they distributed them and the ice into several coolers around the house.

"There's one more thing we have to do before we leave," Ray reminded Melody. "Brian has to be there early so he's riding in with a friend of his. As soon as he's gone we'll hang the banner across the garage. OK?"

"Well, what do you think?" Brian's voice sounded from the top of the stairs.

They watched as he paraded down the stairs dressed in his cap and gown and waving like a beauty queen in a parade.

"Oh, honey, you look great," Kari said and wrapped her arms around him. "I'm so proud of you."

"Me, too," Melody admitted with phony exasperation. "You look all grown up, bro."

Ray stepped forward and all three of them gave him a group hug causing his cap to fall off.

"OK, OK, you guys," he said. "That's enough. Don't bend my cap and wrinkle my gown. I'd better get going before everybody starts crying. Kevin just called and they're on their way."

"Wait, wait. I want to get a photo," Melody pleaded. "Wait a minute."

Trooping out into the front yard, they took turns posing with him and when Kevin pulled up they got him to take a photo of all of them together.

"Is it all right if I take a shower?" Kari asked after the boys left.

"Sure, you don't have to ask," Ray responded. "Melody and I will hang the banner while you shower and change. Go ahead."

It did not take long to get the banner draped across the front of the garage and standing back they congratulated each other on their handiwork. Melody gathered the tools while Ray folded the ladder and put everything back into the garage. Standing outside the garage door, he watched to make sure the banner did not get caught as the door closed.

He felt his chest tighten when the door came down and revealed the window that had been replaced after the episode with Karen and Montrell. The trim on the replacement window did not quite match the rest of the door, but he had never changed it. Every time he noticed it, he relived the vision of her making out with Montrell in the garage. Shaking his head to clear it, he walked into the house and up the stairs to get ready to go to the ceremony.

Ray opened the door to the master bedroom and walked inside at exactly the same time that Kari walked out of the bathroom door drying her hair with a towel. Ray held the door and silently watched as she bent forward and wrapped the towel around her hair, as only women know how to do.

She looked breathtaking to him and he admired her slim, toned body. The tan lines around her breasts and crotch indicated she sunned wearing a bikini. When she bent forward, her breasts swayed gently and he felt the beginning twinges of arousal. He was surprised to see that she was either waxed or she shaved her pubes and he could see her sexily plump, protruding lips.

His mind transformed her movements into slow motion and his eyes took in every detail of her body as she finished wrapping the towel and stood up. Her mouth opened in a gasp and her eyes widened when she caught sight of him standing in front of her. She reflexively crossed one arm in front of her to cover her breasts while cupping her pussy with the other.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you were in this bedroom," he stuttered. "I'm sorry."

"That's OK. It's not like you haven't seen it all before," she smiled and after a second's hesitation she lowered her arms to her sides and stood, almost defiantly, looking back at him.

"You look more beautiful than the day we were married," he whispered and reaching behind him he grasped the door handle and opening the door part way, he slid out without taking his eyes off of her.

Kathi
Kathi
579 Followers
1...345678