Mid-Life in Crisis: Amy's Story

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Okay!" I grabbed the key and headed to the closest stairway. It took me a couple of tries before I found her.

"Oh Amy...!" She cried out when she saw me, and launched herself into my arms and bawled.

Yeah, I dreamed of holding her like that, but never in such grief. There were no thoughts of doing anything but comforting her as she cried into my hair. All I could do was hold on and pat her, telling her it would be alright, as her heart broke.

"Shhhhh, I'm here. It's okay...." I tried to give her solace.

"I didn't even get to say goodbye. I don't think I can do this." She cried, almost incoherently.

"We're only here for a couple of more days. It will be better at the hospital. That's our next rotation. I'm here for you, just lean on me." I told her as I caught the shift leader walking up out of the corner of my eye.

"I've called the school. They will be here to pick you two up in a little bit. Take the rest of the day off. Don't make her come back if she can't." She said as she softly stoked Elspeth's back. I had a flash. All of a sudden, I knew she was like me; a lesbian. I nodded my head.

"Don't push her. She'll come around. She's just dealing with some things. Her upbringing doesn't help either." She looked me in the eye.

"Yes Ma'am." I said, at first not knowing what she was talking about as Elspeth nuzzled herself in between my breasts as she continued to softly cry. The shift leader just smiled.

"Good luck, but I'd steer her to one of the other vocations. She's one of those that feels too much and gets attached too easily. Death is part of our business. It will be worse for her in the Pedi-ward." She took the key she gave me back. "I'll send someone to let you know when the bus gets here." She walked away just as softly as she showed up.

Everyone left us alone as I forced Elspeth to eat something and then put her to bed. For the second night, I fell asleep next to this perfect creature. All I could do was kiss the top of her head and hold her next to my heart.

I missed her the next two days as I finished my rotation at the eldercare center. No one asked why Elspeth didn't come back. The only thing that was said was....

"This is why we do this program. It is better to know now, then spend all that money on school, and end up not being able to use it." By the end of my time, Elspeth was almost back to her old self.

***********************************

When we started at the veterinary hospital, I knew that I would do my time, but it wasn't really for me. Elspeth took to the animals just like she took to the humans. She was all smiles and giggles as she helped a Great Dane deliver her puppies. Cooing and fawning over all of them and pampering the mom outrageously. Later that same day, they had to put down a dog that had been hit by a car. It didn't crush her like when her friend had died, but it did make her sad. She leaned next to me on the bus ride home, sighing and in a down mood.

"Are you alright?" I asked concerned.

"Yeah, I know it's necessary. To be born is to die. That doesn't mean I have to like it." She shrugged as I put my arm around her, knowing I was in love with her no matter how she felt about me. That night I learned a few things about the person who now held my heart if she knew it or not.

I didn't mean to listen in, but the rooms were small. Elspeth was on her cell to her mother for the nightly call. I tried to go get something to eat or drink, but this call lasted longer than usual. I walked back into.

"No mom, I'm not hurt. He... yes mom, what they did was wrong, but; it wasn't like we were engaged or anything. I liked him, but never loved him. Yes, I know father doesn't like doing weddings like that. Yes, I know what he preached about. It's fine; if she's happy then I'm happy for them. No mom, I haven't.... Yes, I'm sure." She rolled her eyes at me.

"What...?" I asked as she listened to her mother on the phone.

"Mother, I really don't care and David and Missy are getting married because she's carrying his child. If it wasn't her, it would've been someone else. She was my best friend and he was my date to the prom. As long as they love each other and can make the commitment, that's between them and God. Yes I know, God will judge their actions, but I won't. The bible tells me it is not my place to judge. Life goes on." She made funny faces at me as she listened to her mother rant.

"Oh, wow...!' I mouthed quietly.

"Tell father I love him, and that no, David or any of the other boys never crossed any lines with me. Yes... Mom...MOTHER! I'm sorry, but I have to get going I have studying to do. Yes, I like this cycle better than the last. Love you bye... Bye!" She closed her phone and blew her bangs back in frustration.

"Gee, even you bible thumpers have the same, best friend and ex screwing around, issues as the rest of us." I smiled at her trying to let her know I was joking.

"Oh, please. Have you ever seen me thump my bible? I haven't even unpacked the silly thing. But yes," She sighed, "David and Missy did the no-no, and now it is time to pay the piper. She's still trying to wear white, but not if my dad marries them. He has rules about that." She rolled her eyes and flopped down in bed.

"Yeah, my high school buddy ended up getting knocked up too. Though it took a bit more to know who the father was; Long story...." I held up my hand, knowing what she wanted to ask.

"Do you realize that tomorrow is the halfway mark?" She changed the subject.

"It is?" I asked confused.

"Yep, two more weeks of vet, and then a month of office, unless we opt out." She said. "My freedom is almost over. I'm sure my mother has a list of eligible men to throw at me when I get back home." She sighed.

"I'm glad I don't have that problem." I smiled.

"Yeah I know... sometimes I wish...." She let it trail off.

"What...? What do you wish for?" I asked feeling a change in her mood. She looked at me from the corner of her eye, while trying to make up her mind.

"That my parents were as accepting of me, as yours are of you and your lifestyle." She sighed.

"What lifestyle?" I asked shocked.

"Oh come on... I'm a Christian, not stupid. You never talk about boys like the rest of the girls. You didn't think I didn't hear that conversation you had with the shift leader? I've even met her partner when she brought her lunch one day. She's a bit mannish, but still a woman. You don't think I don't know you're a lesbian or at least bi-sexual? I mean you've kept it pretty well hidden, but still. Did you know you would hold my hand cupped to your breast and smile the nights we slept together?"

"I what...?" I squeaked.

"I love the fact that you've been my friend first, and haven't' hit on me. But, I know you're interested. It made feel so good to know that you wanted me as a friend more than a quick tumble in bed, which you could have had those nights. I was very tempted and curious."

"You were...? What about your...?" I stuttered.

"Sweetie, I'm a woman. I know what it means to have hard nipples and what causes them, other than cold weather. It is the middle of summer you know." She smiled at me. "I know I have to figure out my own feelings about all this, but that my issue, not yours." She shrugged.

"When did you figure out I was in love with you?" I asked stunned.

"Love with me...?" She gasped.

'Oh, shit...! Me and my big mouth again.' I cussed myself for being a fool and blurting it out.

"You love me? Are you sure? You're in love with me?" He eyes got big and she sat on my bed next to me.

"Yeah, I do, I am. But I won't push anything." I said honestly, resigned to living with my unrequited love for her.

"Really...?" she looked at me and bounced up "And if I was to do this?" She asked, as she hugged me close and pulled my head down.

My mouth was still open when her lips captured mine. I moaned as her tits pressed into me. I wanted to grab her and stop being a virgin. But, not like this. I wanted forever to get to know her body.

"Please... stop." I begged. "If you don't, we might make a mistake." I pushed away before my control snapped.

"Oh, God... it's true! You do love me. Heaven help me, you honestly love me. I can see it in your eyes!" Elspeth was breathing heavily. "I have to go pray."

"I'm sorry." I said as she ran out the door. I fell asleep worrying about her and wondering if she was going to ask for a different roommate. Not that I blamed her. I know some people just can't deal with the way I am. But, it isn't a choice for me.

***************************************

The next morning, she was bouncing on my bed, trying to wake me up. "We're going to be late again if you don't get up." She said pulling on my arm.

"I'm up... I'm up." I groaned and got out of bed. I forgot that I was too tired to put anything on after my shower. Now, I know my tits are nothing like her mammoth mountains, but nothing to be ashamed of either. I tried to ignore her looking at me as I put on my clothes, but my nipples weren't listening to my head as they pointed skyward.

"You're so pretty, but we need to get a move on, unless you want to miss breakfast again." Elspeth said as she turned and brushed her hair, hiding her blush.

I didn't even try to figure her out. I loved her and would let her make the decision on where this all would go. I figured it wasn't the first nor the last time I'd have to do something like this.

Elspeth was her normal self around me and the others in the dining hall. She was just a bubbly and bouncy as normal as I suffered in silence. I smiled at her jokes and let her fuss with my hair. To be truthful, I was confused. It was like the night before never happened.

She sat almost in my lap as we were trucked out to a large beef ranch for the day. She didn't flinch as our legs touched. She had her hand on my knee for most of the ride. She, being her normal bubbly self, had all the farm hands watching her as she bounced from one chore to the next.

"I bet she's one wild ride coming out the shoot." One of the hands said as his eyes followed her.

"You better watch yourself; Cookie will have your hide if she catches you looking at another woman like that. Her little friend looks like she could put a hurt on you too."

"Yeah, she's a tight little filly, built for speed. Her though", he pointed at Elspeth, "she's build for the long haul and comfort." The cowboy said looking at the girls, just like the rest of the men. Amy heard them and blushed at the plain spoken men as they went about their day.

By the end of the day, neither one cared as they climbed exhausted into the work truck, as the older man took them back. Elspeth leaned against me and was instantly asleep.

"She sure uses up a lot of energy." The man said kindly.

"Yeah, it makes me tired just watching her most of the time." I smiled as she cuddled down and softly snored.

"I'll just take you to the school. You're both done in, but you did good today. Better than most of them girls who come out and are afraid of getting dirty or breaking their fancy nails." He laughed.

"She's a bit fragile, but no wimp." I put my arm around her so she could be more comfortable.

"Yeah, but I don't know if I can keep the men working with her bouncing around the place all the time. She seems to be a natural with the critters though." He smiled. "She's about as innocent as they come too. If I thought she was doing it on purpose, I'd sent you back earlier." He said with humor in his voice.

"It just comes natural to her. I don't think she even realizes what she's doing. She's probably the most innocent person I've ever met." I responded, looking down at the sleeping Elspeth.

"How about you? You look like you can take care of yourself. You going to stay with the animals? You aren't afraid of digging into the trenches and getting your hands dirty." He looked at me keenly.

"Nope, not really my thing. I like it well enough, but I liked the hospital nursing stuff a lot more. I'll probably do that and keep my hand into the office stuff for backup."

"Sounds like a smart plan. It's always better to have something to fall back on. Times aren't getting any easier. Well, here you are. I'd take a bath and wash the farm off you before dinner. Me, I'm used to the smell of manure and nature. Some of these frilly little girls will toss you out, if you go into the chuck wagon smelling like that." He smiled and waved as he pulled away, leaving me to get a sleepy Elspeth inside and fed.

I had to steer Elspeth toward our door. "But mom, it doesn't matter. I love her and she loves me. Where's the sin in that?" She mumbled as I pushed her into our room.

"Come on sweetheart, time to get undressed." I said and ignored what her words did to me. Have you ever tried to get someone undressed and into a shower while they were asleep on their feet? I'm here to tell you it isn't an easy thing to accomplish. Then to not let your hands wander when all they want to do is fill themselves with tender ripe flesh of the person that you are in love with.

I was one frustrated puppy as I pulled her into the shower. She started to wake up as the warm water sprayed into her hair. I washed her from top to bottom, trying not to pay too much attention to her breasts, butt, and the juncture between her legs. It didn't help that she moaned and shivered against me as I rinsed her off. If I didn't know any better, I'd thought she came while I was trying to finish up.

"Oh my...!" She breathed and sagged into me breathing deeply.

"I'll do that." She said after she caught her breath as I tried to wash my hair.

Her hands were so soft, as she washed my hair. Her fingers didn't pull as she separated the tangles. I was on fire with want, while I felt her nipples press against my back. It might not have been sexual, but it sure was sensual. I learned what Karney was trying to tell me about shared showers. I now knew why they could be so dangerous. Before I wanted it to, the shower ended. Elspeth turned off the water. I turned to open the door and she leaned up and kissed my lips.

"Thank you." Was all she said, as she stepped out of the shower.

"You're welcome." I replied, not knowing what she was thanking me for.

"I'm famished." She smiled as pulled on a baggy shirt and shorts with nothing underneath. "It's supposed to be Pizza night, let's go see what they've got." She egged me on as I watched her get dressed.

*********************************

The next Monday we dressed in conservative office attire and headed to the law offices of Old-Fart, Dipshit, Jerk-wad and Fast-hands; Four of the slimiest pieces of human nature on the face of the earth.

After the first day I wanted to kick the shit out of the tiny cubicle they put me in to type memos and other bullshit in. The only reason I didn't walk, was of course, Elsbeth. I knew from the looks she was getting, Jerk-wad and Fast-hands had plans for her. Hell, I had to back them off twice before they got the message that if they touched me again, I'd castrate them with a dull rusty knife.

By that Friday, we were both telling each other. 'Only one more week and we go into business offices.' I didn't want to opt out. I wanted to be with Elspeth. I think she felt the same way. I know she didn't like the looks or the brushing touches she was getting at the law office.

Tuesday, well Tuesday caused a major stir in the cesspool. Old-Fart told me to make fifty copies of some stupid disclaimer, and to get him a fresh mug of coffee. I think they just wanted me out of the way. Now my momma didn't raise a foolish girl. I smelled the stink as soon as I saw the pile of it.

So, I started the copier and went to get the mug of coffee. As I was passing Dipshit and Fast-hands joined offices, I heard Elspeth.

"Please, I'm just here for the internship. I'm not looking for any problems." I could hear the fear in her voice.

"If you want a good recommendation, you need to be nice to us." Dipshit said and I head a zipper.

"Please let me out. I'm..." Oh, I didn't think so. I hit the door like a ton of bricks.

"What the hell is going on in here?" I asked taking the scene in.

Dipshit had his zipper down, fishing for his twig, while Fast-hands had Elsbeth cornered, reaching for her tits. I saw the naked fear in her eyes. I took instant action. Since I had both the mug and coffee pot in my hands, I tossed the mug at Dipshit's crotch and the pot at Fast-hands head.

"What the fuck...!" Dipshit screamed as the hot liquid hit where I aimed. It wasn't my fault he had his wee-peaty out.

"Fuck me...!" Fast-hands yelled as he ducked and the pot shattered against his desk.

"Not with his dick." I said and grabbed Elspeth. "We're getting out of here and if you know what's good for you, you'll not move or I'll file rape charges." I told them pissed. I turned and hit the door running, with Elspeth right behind me. I didn't stop as we grabbed our stuff rode the elevator down. I pulled my cell out of my pocket and called for a taxi.

I knew there would be hell to pay, but no woman should have to put up with their kind of shit. I held the shaking Elspeth as the taxi took us back to the school. I knew I was in deep doo-doo when the committee was standing there waiting for us. I paid the taxi driver and pulled the woman I loved out and stood in front of her.

"What in the world did you do?" The head teacher asked looking at us obviously irritated.

"What is the meaning of this?" The old crone that ran the school asked incensed. "They are threatening to sue. One of the partners is in the hospital with second degree burns."

"Good, I got the bastard!" I said with unrestrained glee. "They were trying to double team rape Elspeth...." I stood there flat footed and told them what I witnessed. "So, I used what I had and toss the cup of coffee at his exposed dick and tossed the pot at the other one's head, grabbed her and we came here." I finished with a challenge in my voice.

"Good God...!" One turned to the other. "Call the police. They'll not get away with this. I want you to talk to the other girls who have been sent there and see if they have tried this with others. The fact that coffee wouldn't burn skin that bad if there was material between it and the liquid, it proof enough for me!" She said and stomped off. "I'll call our attorneys."

No one got sleep that night. The end result was Dipshit, who was married with two small kids, is facing a divorce. Fast-hands, who was single, was been transferred to Fargo, North Dakota, to cool his ardor; and the whole partnership is being sued for breach of trust by the school. Who know where that will lead, but no matter what, their reputation had been shattered by the news coverage.

Yes, two of the other girls admitted that they had been approached, as they put it. One even admitted to having sex with them, because she thought that was necessary to get a good recommendation. 'It was only sex', she said. She got a quick trip home. The rest were asked if they wanted to press charges. Elspeth didn't have too since they hadn't touched her yet, but I had to, to prove the attempt.

When we were allowed to go back to our room, Elspeth looked around suspiciously, before asking me to hold her. We lay in her bed and I snuggled her into my arms and stroked her.

"Thank you again. I didn't know what to do. I was so afraid." She was on the verge of tears.

"It's okay sweetheart, I've got you now." I told her honestly. "No one's going to hurt you if I have my say about it."

"What are you going to do with me now that you've got me?" She asked me timidly. I know there were many ways to answer that innocent question, but I went for light hearted.

"I'm going to love you, hug you, pet you, and call you George." I said in a very bad 'big bad monster' from cartoons I watched as a kid.