Mollie from Montana Ch. 07-11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mollie!

Gary hastened back to the office to tell Mollie of his decision but she was out. He called his father.

"Dad, I want to see you fairly urgently."

"I'm busy right now Gary."

"Dad..."

"Oh, all right. Come up. You may have to wait."

Gary stepped from the elevator and noticed his father's door was open. A receptionist told him to go straight in.

Stephen looked at his son with a raised eyebrow. "You better make sure this is important."

Gary ignored that. "Have you heard how Mollie stymied the threatened action against Mr Charlie Proctor stone dead?"

"Yes, Stanley called to tell me. You briefed Mollie well."

"Dad, when she suggested going door to door I told her dismissively it would be a waste of time."

Gary waited for his father to roar his disapproval. Instead, Stephen looked at him curiously and said, "And?"

"Mollie said well let's waste some time. I thought she appeared so keen and if she did turn up something of merit that could place her under the spotlight for future promotion so I said check out her instinct and call me if she needed help. She choose to visit the six premises looking towards the approaching vehicles because people there would potentially see more than any witnesses looking at vehicles moving away from them. She's brilliant dad, it was a long shot but it was all we had so she took it."

"That's what Stanley said. You should be delighted to have a keen-brained woman as your associate Gary."

"I am dad, I'm becoming enthusiastic about her."

"Steady on son, enthusiasm is rather a stranger to you. Why are you really here?"

"Dad, I want to bring closure to this action with Mollie as my assistant. If it goes to court, in all probability she will have become licensed to practice law in this state and therefore can appear with me or even represent our client alone if that is our client's wish. She is very experienced in civil law dad."

"So, you want me to bend our procedures to suit you and Mollie?"

"Ah, rather I want you to show that there is some flexibility on merit. I argue that Mollie and I as a team are more than adequate to take this case to conclusion. I don't see it proceeding to court because the weight of evidence is against the di Primas. However, if a negotiated settlement with the defendant and his insurers falls too far short of our expectation we will seek a court judgment."

"Look Gary, if I decided in your favor there could be allegations of nepotism."

"You should be asking what's in this request for King & King Law?"

"Very well, what is in it for us?"

Gary said Mrs Proctor had already stated she would be moving her legal affairs to King & King and would be requesting that Mollie manage her legal work. "My feeling is if Mollie and I produce a handsome settlement for Charlie Proctor he will transfer at least some of his legal work to King and King. Mrs Proctor was impressed beyond belief by Mollie's outstanding performance. She witnessed the case against her husband turned on its head so what is she going to be telling her husband?"

"That King & King has engaged a genius?"

Gary laughed and said that was a mite over the top. "Mollie is with them now."

"What!"

"Mollie is a smooth and a caring operator dad. She's taken flowers to Mrs Proctor and to express a wish to say hello to Charlie."

"What!"

"Cool it dad, she's not touting. Mrs Proctor had told us Charlie was upset and furious about being put into a neck-brace. Mollie just wanted to tell him face to face that everything was under control and I guess to tell him to call me when he's ready to discuss a damages claim."

"She'll not tell Charlie to call you, she'll be in there grafting for business but stopping short of touting. By God, if she gives the Proctors one shred of legal advice without you being present she's out of here."

"Dad, you don't know Mollie. She's as straight as any woman can be. Take a minute to ask mom what she thinks about Mollie. Thank you for listening to me, I'm out of here."

Gary was almost to the door when Stephen called, "Gary, I will put your request to the partners and if they agree you and Mollie act exclusively with Charlie Proctor then I will announce that decision to the associates and if there's any outcry or resentment then they'll learn why I have the title of managing kick-ass partner."

Gary smiled "I'm most grateful Mr King. May the force be with you." He went through the doorway, his father's chuckle still audible.

Mollie ended a call as Gary walked into their cubicle.

"Stand up."

"Yes sir," she grinned, standing to attention as he hung up his jacket.

"May I kiss you?"

Surprised, she then grinned and told him not to be too sexy because people would see them.

Gary placed his arms around Mollie and kissed her lips softly.

She sighed as he let her go and Paul Rose walking by rapped on the glass and waggled his finger at them, smiling.

"I've just been to see my father," Gary said. "He resisted initially but I managed to turn him around. He'll put to the partners my request for you and me to represent Charlie Proctor to conclusion. An announcement will be made on Friday."

"I'm impressed you made the effort. What is your gut feeling?"

"They'll decide in our favor. How did you get on?"

"Mrs Proctor was bowled over that I thought of giving her flowers. She took me to see her husband who congratulated me on our efforts. He said was I there to make a case to get more legal work from him but I denied that and said no, he'd know our feelings about that. I just wanted to assure him he had nothing to worry about and it was the other party who had the worries. I suggested he should call you when he was ready to talk about claiming damages and handed him your card. I then said goodbye and turned to leave and he said whoa, surely I wanted to gouge -- yes, that was the word he used -- for business. I said not at all. I knew such a decision required only thought plus intelligent and it appeared to me he had both. It hurt him to laugh and I was invited to stay and have coffee but I said I was at the end of my lunch hour and must get back to my legal buddy."

"Well done. I must emphasis you must not tout or give legal advice."

"Thank you."

"Aren't you going to say there is no need to be reminded about what you already know?"

Mollie smiled and said of course not. It was his duty to remind her and her duty to listen.

They sat at their desks and Gary tossed over a file. "Take a look at this and attach a note outlining the action that we should take in defense and then send it back to Stanley. Stanley wants just your opinion and recommendation to assess the extent of your knowledge. He advises he will do this from time to time."

"Thanks and please make no suggestions."

"Right, Stanley thought you would make that response and ask me to advise him of your response."

"Jesus. What is this? Kindergarten?"

Grinning, Gary said, "Mollie, is your invitation for me to move in with you still open?"

Mollie looked at Gary, eyes widening. "Yes and no strings attached apart from sharing the rent, keeping our home tidy and generally being a good boy. When do you want to move in?"

"Saturday morning?"

"Fine -- make it at 10:00. My room or the spare room."

"Could I have the spare room? Just let's see how it goes."

Chapter 8

Unaware that Gary had committed to try for carnal connection, Mollie pedaled in the fitness center that evening without listening to her iPod. Deep in thought she wondered about agreeing to Gary moving in. It could mean the end to any chance of developing a new life in a new city in a new state. He'd been such a bore about sex -- marginally suggestive but little else. He'd probably turn out to be a couch potato, preferring to watch a boring sports TV channel instead of drama with lashing of sex or switching off the TV and saying boldly, 'Let's go out and have fun'.

Fun and Gary? She had to be kidding. Actually he knew who he was, a guy near the bottom of the feeding chain and reasonably happy with that, whereas she knew she was the type meant to soar but due to circumstances her life had spun out of control from which she'd struggled to recover. Mollie snorted, accepting she'd just managed to begin to stabilize with the promise of ascent only to attach herself to depressing baggage that went by the name of Gary. God, she needed her head read.

Mollie figured she had three choices: Leave town, attempt to jettison Gary as soon as she was licensed or to grind on with him. Dammit, she might have known attempting to present options she'd go for the most difficult one. She found challenges irresistible. Mollie decided she must struggle on. At least the Frog Prince had come to her where perhaps she could maximize her greatest influence on him. What a fool she'd been vaguely issuing only three rules in respect of his residency -- she should have composed pages of them, with failure to comply with any of them meant he was out of the apartment on his ear. But then she thought of Mickey and knew this was no different, in fact the problems were far from being dissimilar.

Mickey had been Mollie's first real triumph in life apart from sport. She'd been successful at swimming and had won prizes at local gymkhanas but nothing had ever challenged her up to then like mad Mickey. Mollie was sixteen when she accompanied her father to visit Ted Vickers. Mickey was odd-pup-out in a litter and when Mollie heard Mr Vickers say the Oddball would be placed in a bag and drowned Mollie screamed no, but was largely ignored apart from the two men grinning. She asked if she could have Oddball. Mr Vickers said yes but her father said no. Her father sighed when he heard whimpering in the trunk on the drive home and when they arrived watched Mollie smuggle away her adopted baby. The vet checked out the pup when Mollie's father described it as being 'mad' but it was decided to not have it tested because Mr Vickers was a reputable breeder and would have put the whole litter down if there was a suggestion of disease. The vet advised Mollie to change the Aussie pup's name from Oddball if she didn't want him to become an oddball for life. Mollie chose Mickey and learned all she could about raising a pup.

A year went by a Mollie enrolled Mickey in a weekend training school for six weeks. Mollie's father had said he'd not buy sheep just to allow Mollie to work her dog. At the obedience training school Mollie learned 'Aussies' were stock dogs and very useful for working sheep, goats and cattle. She began disappearing on the ranch with Mickey, riding out to the smaller cattle yards on the far boundary and six months later rode out with her father to herd some yearlings. Her father watched in astonishment as Mickey did most of the work -- still rather raw but in the end quite effective. Alas, Mickey would only work efficiency with Mollie but her father accepted that, acknowledging the dog's loyalty. During Mollie's first year at college she raced home for Mickey's burial after her brother Brian called to say a wild dog had cornered Mickey and ripped his throat open. Brian camped out for three days before he finally spotted and shot dead the maraudering killer.

Thinking back on that Mollie brushed away a couplet of tears and resolved to be as successful with Gary as she'd been with Mickey and she also placed in her mind a tick against Brian's name for avenging Mickey for her. As soon as her training role with Gary was completed she'd move on and begin a new start. That evening she went to a movie alone and ate out alone, feeling lonely but thinking at least from now on she'd have Gary for company although she had no idea of his movie preferences but thought it was unlikely to be blood and guts.

At the 7:30 Friday morning meeting of all fifty-nine King & King attorneys with apologies from three who were out of town and one hospitalized, Mollie and two other newcomers were introduced to the gathering.

"You may have noticed Mollie is female," Stephen said, almost as an after-thought.

"No," muttered someone and Stephen said dryly, "Roland, pass your glasses to Joe and tell us what you see Joe."

The exchange was made and Joe said, "It's very blurred but I think I see a vision of loveliness. Are we entering a new era boss?"

Stephen said, "Mother, as chairman perhaps you may wish to enlighten our assembly?"

Maureen told the packed lunchroom, with a third of those attending without seats, "Mollie O'Rourke who hails from Montana, performed an exemplary act of bravery when I was accosted on Main Street by a belligerent brute. She berated him verbally with cutting legalese and had him almost paralyzed by fear before he ran off. Mollie had no idea who I was, said she'd just arrived in the city and answered she was seeking to be hired as an attorney. We talked and she impressed me no end, so here she is and yes Joe, King & King is no longer the near exclusive bastion of male attorneys. I set that policy many years ago and which never had been challenge and I knowingly abandoned that policy by insisting Mollie be found a position here. She is just short of the minimum five year's active experience requirement so in the meantime has been teamed with my grandson Gary, hopefully for mutual benefit."

"Thank you mother. On a connected matter, you all should have read in case summaries that Gary and Mollie were successful in gathering evidence -- mainly as a result of Mollie's extraordinary diligence -- to nullify a damages claim against one of our most influential citizens, Mr Charles Proctor. With that reversal Mr Proctor is now free to claim damages against the original claimant in their vehicle accident. Gary requested that he and Mollie be authorized to take those proceedings to conclusion instead of the action being handed to a senior associate. I decided to be advised on that request by my fellow partners and I now announce the decision to grant that request was decided unanimously. It sets a precedent but I must advise the partners will collectively consider all similar requests. Mrs Proctor has already stated she is transferring all of her legal work to King & King with a request that Mollie be her principal consultant. Late last evening Mr Proctor called me to say he will progressively transfer most of his entire legal work to King and King and requested I be his principal consultant and I agreed to that. You all will be aware that legal work for Proctor Industries will add to our workload significantly and will require an expansion in resources. This is a momentous occasion for this firm. Any comment?"

Ewan Marks: My understanding is the rule a senior associate takes over cases proceeding to court was instituted to protect the reputation of this law practice.

Stephen: Correct and that will be central in the consideration of all such requests for deviation. In this instance an out-of-court settlement seems most likely.

Michael Kennedy: I am upset that a woman was admitted into our ranks without consultation.

Stephen: It was my and the chairman's decision not to consult.

Michael: Well I object.

Stephen: Then lodge that objection formally through the appropriate channel Michael.

There were no more questions and the meeting dealt with routine matters. At the conclusion a large number of attorneys gathered around to meet Mollie. Some just glared at her and left the room.

Back at their department Stanley said to Gary and Mollie in front of all other personnel, "Well, you two are setting precedent within this firm by being authorized to take the upcoming Proctor case to closure. I offer you my congratulations and will assist you in every way I can. Make sure you keep me updated on progress and your intentions."

When Mollie and Gary returned to their cubicle, Gary said, "I'm nervous and desperately require a kiss."

"Gary, you'll wing through this with ease. I only kiss when greeting or saying goodbye or during sex. Neither of those situations applies here."

"Open you legs and I'll administer toe sex. Then will you kiss me?"

"Gary!" Mollie said amid a little blush. "Behave!"

After office drinks that afternoon Gary went off to dinner with a couple of male friends. Shortly after arriving home Mollie received a call from Maureen King.

"I'm taking Elaine to dinner as Gary is off somewhere with buddies and Stephen is dining at his club. Would you care to join us?"

"Maureen, I've apparently raised a stir with Gary with associates now. It I'm spotted dining with you two it could add to discontent."

"Are you worried about that?"

"No."

"Then we shall see you at Mandeno's at 8:00."

The phone clicked before Mollie could reply.

Mandeno's was an up-market restaurant so Molly decided to dress formally. She arrived to find mother and daughter dressed formally so was relieved she hadn't over-dressed. Maureen kissed her cheek and gave her a wee squeeze, saying, "You did well with Alice Proctor -- although she is one of my closest friends I have been unable to add her to my personal client list. She told me she was switching to our firm but wanted you to represent her in areas of your expertise and said it is up to you to whom you refer other work."

"So you would like referrals?"

"Yes. You will find my areas of specialization on our website."

"Appeals, real estate, zoning, corporation, probate and estate planning."

Maureen smiled as if impressed.

Mollie and Elaine then greeted each other. Mollie kissed demurely and felt Elaine push against her although her own body had telegraphed no such reaction. She really liked Elaine, in fact she had come close to adoring her, but not as a lover. Elaine would have to understand that.

Later that night when going to sleep, to divert from focusing on misbehavior with Elaine Mollie wondered how well would Gary perform in bed. She had no reason to suspect he'd be a sub-performer and yet half expected disappointment. A little confused by her mixed expectations she fell dreamily to sleep, lapsing again to think had they been of similar age and Elaine had not been married they may well have been ripe for a steamy liaison.

At 10:00 next morning Gary arrived. Mollie answered the bell and confirming he was alone reached out, hooked her hand into his belt and pulled him into the room, growling throatily like a dog over a bone. She was ready to devour him but at the last second was dismayed by his submissive appearance. Molly let him go and straightened her hair, turning away in the hope of disguising her panting.

"Why knock; you have your own access card?"

"Yes but I had to be confident you were completely committed about me moving in."

"I welcomed you warmly, didn't I?"

"You call that a welcome?"

"Yes, what did you think it was?"

Gary looked appalled. "Molly you can't grab men as if they are playthings."

"It was a warm welcome."

"It was only a little short of a carnivore about to ingest."

Mollie giggled and said he exaggerated enormously.

Gary, looking more relaxed, smiled and said sorry.

"Sorry? Just give me a sweet kiss and say good morning Mollie, you look ravishing today."

Gary touched her lips with his and said good morning and Mollie greeted that with a frustrated sigh.

"Come," Mollie said, taking Gary by the hand. "There are a couple service trolleys in the foyer. I'll help with the transfer."

As they went down in the elevator Mollie, arms spread on the deep handrail and very aware that position left her in a rather sexy pose, said softly, "I am so elated that you have decided to reside with me."

She remained motionless not wanting Gary to interpret her pose as being provocative. She watched his eyes widen as they fixed on her breasts.

Gary?

Torn from his thoughts he looked up in surprise and said, "You are so beautiful."