All Comments on 'Never Marry an Only Daughter'

by RealDoc

Sort by:
  • 34 Comments
The NavigatorThe Navigatorabout 16 years ago
Waste of time

I have a rule, if there is a grammatical or spelling error in the first screen full, I quit reading. I violated my rule in this case (a spelling error in the first sentence -- "to" for "too") and wished I had not. Terrible sentence structures. Some didn't even make sense. Obviously, the author never read what he wrote. What a waste of cyber space.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
Navigators often Miss the Point

Yeah, so there was a typo, get over it.

The Story was well told, indeed it did not flag at any point. The Characters may have been Two-Dimensional, but hey, this was a one-pager. You get what you read.

Teh [here's another typo to pick on] story 'flowed' well and there were no literary tree-roots to trip over.

A Class Act~70%

Cheers,

Kilroy

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
Who cares?

I don't care much about the grammar, providing its readable, which this is. Can definitely read the feeling behind it. But, whether its true or not, it misses me on another thing. It doesn't make me care. It's essentially a rambling complaint. And what? I'm supposed to believe the author is perfect? He was fault enough to marry this woman he didn't know enough to tell she was a bitch, I'm sure he must have left out a horde of other problems with himself.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
Different!

Not sure what the point was but at least they got rid of each other. How could you have married her in the first place and given up being a docter. You two were never in love. Thats what I don't get.

JADED_ONE1969JADED_ONE1969about 16 years ago
Why on earth?

If the wife really didnot want to stay with the husband why on earth stay with him? Oh and I do think the wife got off lightly if it was me I would have kicked her out of the house and burned all her let lover boy pay for it. Yes there was some typo's but I don't know REAL DOC but I would guess like many of us on this site writing probably isn't his day job and as someone said it didn't really effect the story.

KoreavetKoreavetabout 16 years ago
The first comma

Your first comma should have been a semicolon, Navigator.

bruce22bruce22about 16 years ago
Good Communication....

The number of digiting errors was impressive but you got your

message through anyway. You know I have heard a lot of themes being played over the last 40 some years! But I don't believe he is out there still waiting----

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
The wife was a real winner, the husband a real

weinner. He was a jerk, why the hell stay one year? The wife was mentally ill. Hope this doesnt reflect the writers life, if so it is really a losing streak. Most young girls want to live a life of buy anything. Most are smart enough to marry men old enough and rich enough to let them do that if they have brains. The ones with no brains and hardly any looks live like this story.

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 16 years ago
like Most realDoc stories inept wretched crap

its hard to list How awful this story is. There is NOT a single reader who has ANY sympathy for the Turd of man.

The author once again portrays a man that is so fucking slow obtuse and stupid that it makes the male characters in all those Ben Stiller movies look Macho.

Less than 3 years into the Marriage he is getting sex once every few months and he cant seem to figure it out.

His NEW wife wont let him come in from the rain...

there are only two or three possibilities. Either she has NO sex drive at all ... has no desire to have with the husband... or and or is geting it from someone else.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
Good

RealDoc,

Contrary to many of the other posts I thought this story had a real ring of truth to it. I have known probably a handful of guys that had a marriage much as you describe, only one of them actually did what your character did. The others...stay for the full twenty year sentence.

I liked the story. It was an interesting change from many of the stories on this site. In fact, I have liked many of your stories. Keep writing.

KOLKOREKOLKOREabout 16 years ago
False gold false marriage

One commenter made the point I was going to make. It's actually quite common to see first young marriages go down the drain in a short time. Many times at least one in the couple is not ready for mature relations. So where was the problem here? Mostly, it was difficult to care much about what happened. The reason is of your doing - you present the marriage and that woman as a sour lemon right from the begining, and yet the husband endured all the insults. So the story started at a low point and went down from there... I do believe though that there are more people than we care to admit who behave in a similar way to the husband character; clinging to hope or routine for way too long...But who says that life is a well told story? Most 'stories' in life could be totally boring; repetetive; have no end, and so on and so forth. That's why we run to read stories for a while...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
mildly

Mildly interesting; mildly logical, and terribly frustrating. Get a proofreader and spellchecker.

zed0zed0about 14 years ago
Kinda Lame

Watta pathetic little wimp.

iowNotIouiowNotIouover 13 years ago
It's not true

that you can't change other people's behaviour, if it were, the advertising industry would not exist. I can only imagine this guy never properly listened to his father.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
The advertising industry

plays upon the existing weakness of the masses. People cannot be changed.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 11 years ago
Damn

What a cunt. I can't believe he missed the signs that she was cheating but he finally got out. And he took all their shit. Fuck her.

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 10 years ago
He did not see her infedlity -

Because it was hidden in the middle of all the rest of the shit she was shoveling - who could see through all that lol

The ending was fair - not great but fair heh -

chytownchytownabout 10 years ago
Thanks***

For the read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Man was he a dumbass.

Had t be pretty stupid to never consider his wife was cheating on him. Why not force the sale of the house too? I think you wanted to make this a win for him. He lost. Bad story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Why?

If she wanted to leave him for Jerry, why did she wait for two years? Why waste that time? Just file for divorce and move on.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJabout 7 years ago
She wanted him to be the bad guy

She knew her parents would not approve of her cheating so she had to drive Jon away and get him to divorce her so she would look like the victim.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Kind of lame and unemotional.

Who really cares what happens to any of these manikins?

Read like a rant against only children. Wonder what baggage that came out of.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Fell short of the stories potential

1)No burn the bitch 2)No burn the lover. what's wrong with this picture?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
After the fact?

Your bio: "physian" ? never heard, perhaps physician?. So I take it you pounded this whole story and your bio out in six minutes flat on an older model cell phone, definitely not a PC, laptop or modern device. A new record man! Get an editor on board, this submission was distracting with all grammar, syntax and dialogue idiocracies.

Second thoughts are that I could never decipher the scribble my GP (physician) did on medication prescriptions, so maybe that reflects on my inadequate education? Then apologies are in order - sorry, pardon me in that case...etc.

The author must have had 3, at least 4, years of tertiary study accounted for, but certain aspects of narration etc. belies a true commitment of precious TIME to a worthwhile story.

Otherwise quite good and refreshing plot line. Last submission 2011? Come on, give it a shot again, you have remarkable talent.

FW

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Omce again a wife walks away clean

He takes some money and a car. She gets a house. And she gets rid of a man she's been cheating on for years. I'd say she made out like a bandit. And she suffers no consequences to boot. Good deal for her.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 4 years ago
All’s well that ends well

But a bit of a bore

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Update 2019.

It has been 11 years since this story was written so a little update.

I ran into Sherrie last week.

I was in town for my father's funeral. Before you get angry with me, I saw my parents as often as I could, usually between deployments. As mentioned I became an Officer and to a lesser degree a gentleman in the Marine Corps. I am a Major currently posted to MARSOC having spent most of my time in Force Recon.

Anyway, I was in my dress uniform as my father's old Army buddies asked and who am I to deny Vietnam Veterans. They said I was impressive with my medals, 3 Purple Hearts, Bronze Star (with star) and Silver Star from 3 tours of Afghanistan and 2 of Iraq.

I digress. I ran into Sherrie at my father's funeral and boy had she changed. She had gained 30 lbs and had not aged well. We met the next day to finally talk.

She worked as a waitress in a diner, she had 2 children to Jerry but he was nowhere to be found. He was caught in bed with another married woman and her husband did not take too kindly to this. Good old Jerry spent a month in the hospital and disappeared upon release. Sherrie struggles but is content.

She finally said sorry for being such a bitch. I got the impression that she would have liked to start again but she did not say so directly.

I told her about my career. I told her about my wife whom I met while in the Landstuhl Regional Medical Center recovering from injuries received in an IED blast and our 4 kids.

We spoke for 4 hours but I had to head back to North Carolina. I did commit to keeping in touch. When I got back to my wife and children, in the motel room, she asked me how it went. I took her into my arms and wept. Not for what might have been but for what is. I am so happy in my life and all is good in the world.

Curlee

JonDoe315JonDoe315about 3 years ago

wasnt any emotion in the story and felt more like reading an essay than a story

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Getting rid of the cheating scum cost you a house. But to avoid alimony for a high earner like a doctor, it was well worth it.

DrgwngDrgwngover 1 year ago

Idiotic house giveaway, this stupidity joins the club of so many authors here that engage in the same idiotic keyboard strokes. Nobody gives away houses, nobody.

dikupinyadikupinyaover 1 year ago
hmm

I would have waited to meet Jerry, with a tire tool.

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15over 1 year ago

Not all only daughters are like that.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Good story A shame he did not get rid of her earlier (jaybee186)

inka2222inka22224 months ago

@dikupinya - Why? Jerry didn't marry and promise to be fathful to MC. He's just a waste of time and space. Revenge shoud be on betrayer, not the walking dildo.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous