Norman the Cat

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 13. Fourth of July weekend.

The winter and spring flew by, and to my delight Janice and I grew closer everyday. We were best friends, and so in tune we often knew what the other was going to say before opening our mouths. By night we were wild and passionate lovers, with a lust for each other that seemed insatiable at times. Age was just a number, and I had left behind any doubts or uncertainity as to whether what we were doing was right or not.

On the Fourth of July, we were planning to go down to the riverside to watch the fireworks display. Janice was ready when I went down to pick her up that afternoon, and when I went into her apartment I could sense that something was up.

The look on Janice's face was one I had never seen. I couldn't tell whether it was horror or joy, but she looked like she was ready to burst when she asked me to sit down for a talk. I certainly hoped that I was not going to be dumped, because I had made big plans for Janice's birthday later in the month.

I looked at the excited expression on Janice's face as she wiggled around in the chair and started wiggling around the same way to make fun of her.

"Think you're funny?" Janice said as she watched my poor impersonation of her. "Maybe you won't be laughing when I get done talking."

"Well, let's have it," I said, thinking that she must have gotten that department manager position she had been hoping for at the store.

"I'm pregnant."

I must have been quite a sight with my jaw dropping down to the floor, as I stared at Janice who was looking at me to see my reaction.

"Pregnant? How?" I asked lamely.

"Do you really need an explanation of how all that works?" Janice asked.

"But I can't... we couldn't," I stuttered in confusion.

"We can and we did," Janice said. "I don't know why you and Madeline weren't able to before, but right now we are most definitely pregnant."

"Are you going to keep the baby?" I asked, not knowing what else to say. I had been under the impression that I had a low sperm count, which was the reason Madeline and I could not conceive.

"Absolutely!" Janice said. "With or without you."

"My God, when the baby is 18..."

"You'll be 75," Janice said finishing my math. "75 today is nothing. You'll probably end up being a grandpa as well."

"What if I don't live that long?" I said.

"Then I'll spend the rest of my life telling him what a wonderful father he had. I'll tell him that his father had waited over thirty years for him to be born. I'll tell him that he's carrying on the name of a man who was as special as he is."

"Can we go to my place?" I asked Janice, and took her by the hand.

When we got to my apartment, I had Janice sit down while I went into my bedroom dresser for Janice's birthday present before returning to her.

"I know I'm old fashioned," I said. "This is definitely showing my age."

I knelt in front of Janice on my right knee, a knee that would have creaked and groaned from such an effort a year ago. Before I had been given another chance at life.

"I believe that every child deserves a father, and not just in the biological sense," I said as I opened the little box that was cupped in my hand, and took out the sparkling engagement ring that was making its appearance a couple weeks early.

"Oh God," Janice gasped as she saw what was in my hand.

"I was going to ask this question on your birthday, but it seems more fitting right now," I said. "Will..."

"Yes!" Janice chirped.

"Can I finish?"

"Go right ahead, but I'm still gonna say yes!"

"Will you marry me?"

She said yes again and again as we rolled around on the rug laughing like idiots.

"Wait!" I said. "Did you say him?"

"He's a him!" Janice said happily. "That's the word I got from the doc. Could be a New Years Day baby too."

"Did the doc say anything about not...

Janice felt something poking her and tugged her shorts off before I could finish my sentence.

"No, he said hump away," Janice exclaimed. "Why wait till nightime for fireworks anyway?"

Chapter 14. The wedding.

Janice and I got married at the end of August in the courtyard of our apartment complex. It was a very small affair, with a few of our friends invited, as well as Janice's father Ed and her sister Dawn who made the trip out for the occassion.

Although I had talked to Ed on several occasions, this was our first meeting, and it was a trifle awkward in the beginning. He was giving the bride away, and it was surreal to say the least.

"Gee, what do I call you?" I asked Ed, who was about five years my junior. "Dad?"

"I can live with it," Ed said. "It's an honor to be called that, you know. I just hope you do better at it than I did. I can't believe how happy she is, and I guess you're the reason for that... son."

"What's past is past," I said with a chuckle. "I think that what you created in Janice is a great accomplishment, and I'll love her with all my heart.

Janice's sister Dawn was her matron of honor. Dawn was a lovely girl who looked so relieved when Janice had asked her to fill that role, as a gesture of forgiveness and love. Still, the pain within Dawn had not yet faded, and I hoped with all my heart that she would find the peace and happiness that her sister had.

My best man was by my side during the vows. Dressed in black with a white collar and tail, Norman remained cool and composed during the ceremony, not even needing the leash we had tethered him to, and on his best behavior because of the promise of champagne corks afterward.

As to what people may have thought about our little friend taking part in the affair, we cared not a bit. It was all because of Norman that we were gathered there together, and we wouldn't have have had it any other way.

Epilogue.

As I sit by our bedside in our new home, watching Janice's belly rise and fall as she sleeps, I can't help but think of what a crazy and wonderful year it's been. To be living the life I had been just a year before, with no hope in my heart, and to now be experiencing the joy of being Janice's husband and father of our child, was such a drastic change that it defies description.

If this could happen to me, it could happen to anybody. You just have to keep going, because you never know what's around the corner. Maybe it's nothing, and then again it could be a cat being chased by its owner and things happen that change your life.

I don't know about fate, or angels watching down on us as we live our lives, since I was always more the pragmatic type. Still, a little part of me can't help thinking about what sent Norman out Janice's door that evening. A cat who had never before or since shown the slightest interest in ever leaving his cozy home.

I think of Madeline, and sometimes I think that perhaps she was looking down on me. Maybe she said that enough was enough. Maybe she said that six years of mourning and suffering is plenty for you Jim, and maybe she set the wheels in motion that brought me to the place and time where I am blessed to find myself.

After all, as I marvel at the miracle of creation waiting patiently inside Janice for his moment to arrive, anything is possible.

****

Thanks to all who took the time to read "Norman the Cat". Your comments are welcomed.

This story is dedicated to those who know the pain that this story was about, and who have shown the remarkable courage that it takes to overcome it all.

Happy holidays to one and all!