Rayne

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She walked towards Rayne with her gaze never leaving his face. Her walk was as graceful as a tigress stalking her prey, and he had no doubt that he was her prey. When she stood before him she inclined her head slightly and assumed the perfect fencing stance with one arm slightly back and her hand and fingers arched. Rayne took in the sight before him and raised one black eyebrow in question before assuming the stance himself. The duel began. Between sword thrusts he managed to ask what they were dueling for. To which his beautiful and skillful opponent replied, "To the victor go the spoils…senor" the last word had been spoken so softly it was almost a whisper.

They fought on completely unaware that their crews had gathered round to watch with interest. As their swords crossed and the fought to hold one another off, their faces mere inches apart Rayne gave her his most seductive smile and asked, "Are you considered part of the spoils of victory?"

She retorted with a toss of her exquisite ravel curls, "It matters not to you, for you will not be the victor."

Rayne laughed a full-bodied laugh at her confidence.

"Ah senorita, you are a trifle overconfident. If you concede you loss now things will go much easier on you."

"Easier senor? I really do hate to disappoint you, but it is you who should admit defeat now and save yourself the embarrassment of losing to a woman in front of your crew."

Rayne had to admit, the woman had courage, or else she was extremely foolish. No matter, he decided to put a little more effort into the duel to show her that she couldn't win, but still give her the option of admitting defeat. After all, he was a gentleman and he wouldn't want to destroy her reputation in front of her crew. So, Rayne became the aggressor, putting her on the defense and adding strength to his thrusts. However, much to his surprise, she also stepped up the pace and met each of his sword thrusts with an equally as skillful parry. He was indeed impressed with her skill as a swordswoman. They fought on, each one enjoying the duel and appreciative of the others skill. Rayne had never seen a woman with this kind of skill, endurance or bravado.

She, of course, noticed the way his muscles flexed as he moved with an almost feline grace across the deck of the ship as she pursued him with her sword. He was extremely handsome, with his jet-black hair and she especially liked the way he arched one eyebrow at her in a silent question. Yes, she found him intriguing, but she wondered what he was doing this far from his usual hunting grounds. There was no doubt in her mind who her worthy opponent was. He didn't look the typical pirate, yet she thought sardonically, neither did she.

Both opponents seemed equally matched and both were beginning to show signs of fatigue. As the crossed swords and stood face to face, almost nose to nose she offered him a truce. "If you would like to save face in front of your men, I will allow a draw in this duel. If not…." she left the sentence dangling with a careless shrug of her beautiful shoulders.

Rayne considered her offer and wondered what was behind it, but decided that he would concede, even though he knew if he wanted to be a brute, he could outlast her and eventually win the match through sheer endurance. So with an equally careless shrug he retorted, "I see no reason to humiliate you in front of your men, so we will effect a draw, thereby allowing us both to save face."

She took a step back, but kept her sword at the ready, until he too stepped back saluted her with the sword and dropped it down to his side. Both their crews gave a wild cheer, for neither crew wished to see their captains defeated.

"Now, Madame Capitan, why don't we retire to my cabin while our crews divide the cargo and set these Spaniards adrift?"

"Your cabin? I think not. We go to my ship instead."

"As you wish Madame" Rayne said with a twinkle in his eye.

With that settled Rayne and the sultry beauty abandoned the Spanish galleon and returned to the Scarlet Flame amid chuckles and appreciative looks from the crews. As the pirate captain led the way to her cabin Rayne leisurely enjoyed the sensual sway of her hips encased in the leather breeches. As they entered the cabin the dark beauty turned and offered Rayne a glass of tequila. "Aren't you a little out of your normal waters, senor?" She questioned Rayne.

"Oh, and where would my "normal waters" be?"

"Please senor, I am not so stupid as not to recognize you, even though you are not in your normal ship, The Phantom."

"You are very well informed Senora, or is it Senorita?"

She smiled a slow, seductive smile and answered him with amusement tingeing her voice, "It is Senorita."

Rayne thoroughly intrigued probed further, "It seems a bit strange that you of all people would be a plague to the Spanish fleets."

She gave him a long hard look before answering his question with a question of her own. "Why would that seem strange?"

"Well, you are obviously of Spanish descent. I mean with your sultry dark good looks…" Rayne suddenly felt extremely uncomfortable with the knowledge that he had obviously put his foot in his mouth.

She saved him from further discomfort by adding, "Yes, both of my parents were Spanish. As to why I plague the Spanish that is personal. It need not concern you. Have I questioned you about your reasons for attacking the Spanish?"

Rayne, somewhat chagrined at his bad manners suggested "I am sorry, I was just curious. Perhaps we could start over. I am.."

"I know who you are, or at least what you're called, El Diablo. I know that you primarily attack in the waters surrounding Tahiti, off which you own a small island where you live with your mistress. I know you do not discriminate in whom you attack, as you owe allegiance to no one, but your crew profits much from your talents. But, I doubt you do it for financial gain. I believe you pirate for the adventure and danger."

Rayne looked at her in amazement that she knew so much about him, while he knew not even her real name. "I feel that it only fair that you tell me your name. You have me at a distinct advantage here.

"My name is of little importance senor. After all, what's a name?"

"Well, perhaps names aren't important, when actions often speak louder than words" Rayne's words dripped with innuendo. Rayne was used to having women fawning over him and so was in total shock when the gorgeous woman threw back her head and laughed at his blatant invitation. Rayne walked over to her and drew her into his arms. He bent his head to kiss her only to have her to laugh just before his lips reached hers. He drew back from her is surprise and she turned and walked out of his arms. After she had put some distance between them she turned and looked at him as she spoke softly, "Senor, I believe you have business to attend to, as I certainly do. Perhaps you have mistaken me for one of the many putas that rush to do your bidding. Let me assure you, I am not a puta. I rush to do no mans bidding. Besides that, I have no wish to have to deal with the wrath of your woman, Navia. So, I suggest you return to your ship and be on your way. I'm sure you were headed somewhere when you decided to have a little sport with the galleon."

Rayne was for the first time in his life almost speechless, but he managed to conceal his confusion and frustration behind a tight smile, that was glacial to say the least. However, she did not miss the dangerous glitter in his eyes that promised there would definitely be another time and place. However, he bowed courteously to the vixen and said, "Perhaps you're right, another time then." Rayne turned and left her cabin and shortly thereafter her ship.

He soon stood on the deck of his ship watching the Scarlet Flame and the enchanting seductress sail away. He suddenly realized she knew quite a bit about him, while he still knew virtually nothing about her. With this realization upon him, he threw back his head and laughed out loud, before saying to himself, "Oh yes little one, there will definitely be another time and place." He turned and strode off the deck in search of Javonnie.

He found him in the men's barracks dressing minor cuts sustained by the crewmembers during the fray aboard El Mercado.

"Is everyone all right?"

"Yes, just a few minor cuts and bruises, nothing too serious. The Spaniards didn't put up much of a fight and the Scarlet Flame's crew simply joined forces with your crew against the Spaniards."

"Good, good. Did you by chance hear her crew mention her name?" Raynes asked.

"Good God, you slept with the woman and you didn't even get her name? Blast it all, you're slipping Rayne" Javonnie laughed at his friend.

Rayne, somewhat indignant and caught off guard replied, "I didn't sleep with her."

Javonnie turned to look at Rayne with surprise on his face, and said somewhat incredulously, " You didn't? Damnation, you really are slipping." Then as if the thought had just occurred to him he said, "Damn, now I've gotta pay Scotty his hundred pounds."

Rayne somewhat put off by his admission of not having accomplished the task he had set out on with the beautiful captain looked at Javonnie through narrowed eyes as he asked, "You bet on me?"

"Well of course, I figured it was a sure thing. We all saw the sparks between the two of you and assumed it was a foregone conclusion. Women never say "no" to you Rayne. How did you manage to let her get away from you? I mean, since I am losing a hundred pounds on this, I figure I've got a right to know" Javonnie said good-naturedly.

Rayne, losing some of his ire as he began to see the humor in the situation admitted sheepishly, "She just said "no" and walked away from me."

"Ouch, that must have hurt that oversized ego of yours" Javonnie chuckled.

Rayne sent Javonnie a blistering look that said more than words ever could before persisting, "Yeah, well, did you find out her name?"

"Actually the only thing I heard them refer to her as, was La Gata"

"The Cat, well, it certainly fits. She was definitely a sex kitten in that git-up. But we already knew she was called La Gata."

"Yeah, well from the way she handled that sword, that's one "kitten" I believe I'll try to avoid. At least her bad side!"

Rayne gave him a look that said, "You better avoid her altogether." But he only said, "I don't know, I'm looking forward to seeing La Gata again soon. Next time, she won't get away so lightly." Rayne once again wished this trip to England wasn't necessary. It was playing havoc with his personal pursuits.

Chapter 2

It was damp, foggy and cold as Rayne and Javonnie made their way through the dark, quiet streets of London to Lionel's townhouse. They had each brought only a small valise with a couple of changes of clothes. There would be time tomorrow to have the remainder of their belongings transferred from the ship to the residence and anything else they required could be purchased. They were both exhausted and wanted nothing more than to find their beds and get some sleep. Javonnie as well as the crew members from The Eclipse had kept well out of Rayne's way since the interlude with the Scarlet Flame as his temper had shortened with each passing day of the journey. Even now, Javonnie noticed, Rayne had a scowl on his face. He was just wondering if it was the task of sorting through his grandfathers business and the round of social events that would be mandatory for him to attend or more likely he was still smarting from the "you-don't-impress-me" attitude of the femme fatal from the Scarlet Flame. That thought brought a smile to Javonnie's lips as he thought once again that it was high time his friend Rayne got his comeuppance from the opposite sex. He had never seen a woman refuse Raynes attentions and he thought this was absolutely priceless.

The carriage rolled to a stop in front of the townhouse and Rayne climbed out leaving Javonnie to pay the driver. They climbed the steps and rapped the doorknocker loudly. Needless to say as the hour was extremely late and no one was expecting them it was quite some time before the butler arrived to let them in. The sleepy butler, startled into complete wakefulness at seeing Rayne standing on the doorstep, apologized profusely for the long wait. Rayne waved the mans apologies away and disappeared up the stairs to the master suite while Javonnie calmed the man down and assured him that it was quite alright, they had not sent word ahead and that he couldn't be expected to know of their arrival. The poor butler was beside himself with worry, as he had been witness to multiple arguments between Rayne and his grandfather. The little man most assuredly did not want that ferocious temper aimed at him. He hurriedly promised he would have the staff assembled for instructions at the Dukes convenience. Javonnie wryly informed the butler not to expect either the Duke nor himself before lunch. Having finally convinced the man he was not about to be drawn and quartered, he took himself up stairs to the guestroom where he crawled tiredly into bed.

There was a pounding in his head, or was it the door? Javonnie cracked an eyelid and turned his head toward the bedroom door, which was swinging open. "Are you planning to lay abed all day long?" Rayne demanded.

Javonnie glanced sleepily at the clock on top of the chest of drawers, which showed the time to be 9:00, and from the sunlight streaming in from the nearby window, he knew it was morning. He turned a disgruntled gaze on Rayne before gracing him with a response. "Have you any idea what time it is Rayne?"

"Well of course I know what time it is. Time for lazy lie-abeds like yourself to be up and about."

"It would seem you are finally in better spirits. Of course, you weren't the one left standing with that ninny last night while he whimpered and whined because he was afraid you were going to wring his scrawny neck because he hadn't the foresight to know you were going to arrive last night."

"Oh, Rupert always was a whiner. If he weren't so competent at running this house I'd hand him his walking papers. But, he might as well stay around and earn his keep! Come on Javonnie, get up, we've got things to do. The crew's waiting at the docks to dispose of our cargo."

Javonnie lay with his arm over his eyes trying to block out the sound of Raynes voice, but knew it was useless. So, he finally agreed to get out of bed and meet Rayne downstairs for breakfast. An hour later Javonnie, freshly shaved and dressed with his blonde hair still glistening with dampness appeared at the breakfast table where Rayne sat finishing up his own breakfast. "Nice of you to finally join me" he said with mock irritation as Javonnie helped himself from the sideboard.

Javonnie, being still just a little put out at having been awakened so early after such a late night, retorted, "No problem your Dukeship! It was my pleasure to get out of bed to come down here and look at your ugly face."

"Ah, but you are about to be thanking me for dragging you out of bed."

"Hardly likely."

"Guess who's having a ball tonight in honor of their nieces upcoming nuptials?" Rayne asked with obvious smugness.

Javonnie, now just a tad wary, gave Rayne a questioning look as he reached for another slice of smoked ham.

"None other than the esteemed Mulholland sisters" Rayne announced with merriment dancing in his sparkling blue eyes.

Javonnie felt like the floor had just tipped out from under his feet, leaving him dangling from the dining table. "Veronica is getting married?" he asked totally stunned. He was trying to adjust to this unexpected turn of events without much immediate success.

"So it would seem. If I've told you once, I've told you a million times that girl wasn't gonna wait forever" Rayne said shaking his head in mock sadness.

"Who's she engaged to marry?" Javonnie asked with amazing calm, especially since he was seething inside. He had actually thought she would wait until he got through roaming the seas and decided to settle down. Damn women, couldn't they ever be just a little patient?

"It says here she's engaged to Lord Steven Finch."

"Good Lord, not little Stevie? He walks with a mincing step and he dresses like an absolute fop. What can Veronica be thinking of? He couldn't begin to satisfy a woman with Veronica's appetite uh, that is to say, that he's not very manly" Javonnie finished somewhat weakly as he saw Rayne slowly raise one black brow in both question and surprise.

"Do tell Javonnie, and just how would you know exactly what it would take to satisfy Miss Veronica Mulholland?" The last half of the sentence was spoken with deadly quiet.

"Now Rayne, don't you go giving me no lectures about Veronica's virtue. How many women have you seduced? How many times have I had to save your hide from an irate husband?"

"Exactly, husband. I never compromised an unmarried lady of Veronica's caliber. Veronica doesn't have a husband, and she was still virginal, at least I believed her to be until now. Are you telling me you took her innocence thereby compromising her?" Rayne demanded.

"Well, you don't have to make it sound like I raped her or anything. It was not planned, it just sort of happened and it was by mutual consent" Javonnie hated the way Rayne had him on the defensive. Although the memories of that date brought a smile to his lips and a warmth to his heart, as well as to other places he would prefer not to think of just at that moment.

"And when exactly did this take place?"

"The last time I came to take care of your business with your attorney for you. But she saw me off with a smile on her face and assurances that she would be waiting for me when I returned. I had no idea she would up and marry anyone before I got around to asking her myself, much less that popinjay!" Javonnie was now realizing just how much he did not want Veronica to marry Stevie, or anyone else for that matter. He just couldn't figure out what that peculiar ache was in the vicinity of his heart. Must have been the darned kippers he had just eaten.

Rayne sat watching his friend and wondered how long it would take him to figure out that he was in love with Veronica and put a stop to this nonsense about her marrying that little twit Stevie Finch. "I'm going to send a response to this invitation and accept for the both of us. As soon as you're done with breakfast I suggest we leave for the docks and on the way we can discuss a few of the other invitations I've received."

Javonnie just nodded dumbly as he was still thinking about this new turn of events. It looked like they had returned home just in time.

Once on the way to the docks Javonnie at least made a pretense of being jovial, with pronounced lapses of silence that had Rayne chuckling to himself. Boy, he was glad he wasn't suffering from that affliction called love!

Several hours later the cargo was being unloaded and a bolt of brilliant sapphire silk caught his eye and he had Red pull it out and put it in the carriage. Whenever he had first caught site of the fabric he had had a mental picture of his mysterious piratress in a low cut gown that hugged her curvaceous body made of the sapphire fabric. He almost called Red back, it wasn't likely he would see her anytime soon, but as he was already opening the door to the carriage to put the bolt of fabric in, he refrained from calling him out to him.

After having concluded the business of the dispensing of the cargo Rayne and Javonnie stopped at a local hotel for lunch and then continued on to the well-know establishment of Xavier & Xavier. Rayne had used the tailors at Xavier & Xavier since he been old enough to purchase his own wardrobe. He like the simplistic lines of elegance that was a long tradition of this establishment as well as mirroring his own taste in clothes. He shuddered to think of the outlandish clothes some of the men of London sported. It was all the rage to dress the part of a dandy in chartreuse, pink, canary yellow, stripes and plaids. If he wanted to look like a peacock, he would just purchase some feathers. As the two gentlemen entered the establishment Freidman the head tailor approached them with a smile of greeting on his face.

123456...8