Rayne

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Gabriella, you have nothing to apologize for. Won't you tell me what's wrong?"

Gabriella was fighting to gain control of her emotions. She had not lost control like this in a very long time, and she couldn't believe Rayne had brought out all of these old emotions with just a look. "It's a long story, and one best left untold. The telling of it would only cause me more pain, and there is nothing you or anyone else can to do change the events that evoked these memories."

Her voice so full of pent-up emotions, the waver of her voice and the tears that still flowed freely down her cheeks tugged at Raynes heart-strings and made the desire to hold her and block out all of the ugliness that brought her this pain even greater. "Won't you let me help you? I'm sure there's something I could do?" Rayne asked in a voice fraught with concern and frustration.

"If you really want to help me, you will get me out of here. But it is unfair of me to ask this of you; this is a night to share in the joy and happiness of your friend and his new bride. Forget I asked."

"And I have already told you, this is Javonnie and Veronica's night, I have never liked being the center of attention, while Javonnie seems to thrive on it. Wait here, I will go make my excuses to Javonnie and return for you. Will you be alright here alone?"

"Yes,….and Rayne, thank you, I don't believe I could face all those people just now."

Rayne gave her a smile that made her heart beat just a little faster as he turned and disappeared into the house. He approached Javonnie and leaned over and spoke for several minutes to Javonnie, who inquired if there was anything he could do. To which Rayne replied, "Yes, enjoy this night and the rest of your life, friend, I wish you both only good things."

As Rayne and Gabriella rode through the streets of London in the security of his carriage, there was silence in the carriage. Tears continued to flow freely from Gabriella's eyes and Rayne continued to feel absolutely powerless to stop them. Finally in an effort to offer her comfort he pulled her onto his lap and rested her head on his chest under his chin. He gave her a kiss on the top of her head, and when she would have moved off of his lap, he whispered, "Don't worry little one, you have nothing to fear from me, I only seek to offer you comfort…..for now." Rayne had added the last because he felt it only fair that she know where she stood with him. He wanted her, and eventually he would have her. He knew if he pursued the issue tonight, he could have her in his arms and bed, but to do so would be to take unfair advantage. Rayne was a man of pride, and that's something he would never do. Besides, when Gabriella came to his bed, and she would, he wanted it to be because she wanted to. She had relaxed against Rayne's chest, and that coupled with the warmth from his body and the gentle rocking motion of the carriage as it wound it's way through the deserted streets of London soon had her fast asleep.

Rayne realized she had fallen asleep as he heard her deep even breathing and thought wryly that he had never had a woman this beautiful so immune to his charm, sensual nature and good looks that she fell asleep in his arms. At least not unless it was after she was exhausted from his lovemaking!

The driver stopped before Gabriella's large townhome and opened the door to the carriage for the couple inside. He discreetly averted his eyes to what he thought was a passionate embrace at first glance. But as Rayne descended from the carriage and carried the sleeping Gabriella up the steps to the front door, the driver realized his mistake and hurried to rap for entry for the gentleman. The butler opened the door as Maria stepped of the stairway onto the landing.

"What have you done to my baby?" she demanded in alarm.

Rayne shushed her and turned so that the woman could see for herself that Gabriella was just sleeping. Maria looked questioningly at Rayne and then led the way to Gabriella's bedchamber. Rayne carried her up the long, winding staircase as if she were a feather. Truth be told, she was as light as a feather and Rayne begrudgingly laid her on the bed Maria had indicated. But when he attempted to remove her arms from around his neck she only tightened them and murmured incoherently in her sleep. Maria motioned for Rayne to lay with her on the bed. As Rayne lay down on the bed next to Gabriella the aged old woman settled in the chair next to the bed to keep vigil. This seemed to satisfy the mumbling Gabriella and shortly she released him and just snuggled up close to the warmth of his body. He lay looking down on her peaceful features, as she lay sleeping she had a certain vulnerability about her that brought out Raynes protective instincts in full force. At the same time, the sight of her breasts all but spilling forth from her low cut neckline was almost his undoing. Honor be damned, it he didn't get out of this bed and soon, he was liable to take her right in front of the old crones very eyes! He slipped quietly out of the bed and Maria followed him out, closing the door softly.

"So, you're him?" the woman stated baldly.

"I bed your pardon?"

"You're the Duke of Darkness" it was a statement, not a question and Rayne slowly raised that raven brow of his in question.

"And just who might you be?" Rayne asked with his voice dripping in arrogance.

"Don't you use that tone with me young man, I've known you would come into her life since she was a wee babe her cradle. A vision it was. As she lay sleeping, a raven lit on her cradle to watch over her. It has come to pass," she said resignedly.

Rayne looked at the old crone as if she had sprouted two heads. "What is this you babble about old woman?" Rayne demanded.

"I, sir, do not babble. In my lifetime I have foreseen many visions, and they have all come to pass except for two. You are the dark one in my visions, sent to protect Gabriella. You already feel the ties that bind the two of you together. You will fight the attraction, but it will be to no avail. It is destiny; it is your fate. Yours and Gabriella, even an ocean apart, she felt herself pulled to you. That's why she..but, I say too much. It can't be told, it must unfold itself, only then will you believe, as will she."

"Who are you? Where do you come from?" Rayne was beginning to feel a little uneasy with her talk on the heels of Javonnie's "feelings or visions" as he too thought of them.

"I am Maria, I have been Gabriella's nurse since the day she was born, and her mothers before her."

The woman certainly looked old enough to be what she said she was. "Speaking of which, where are Gabriella's parents?"

"Dead."

Rayne, taken aback apologized, "I am terribly sorry, I had no idea."

"How could you? It was their destiny, it was fulfilled many years ago."

"How did they die?"

"Gabriella will tell you, when she is ready for you to have that information. It is something that she has not spoken of since it happened. But it is a driving force in her life and a destructive one as well."

This old crone fascinated Rayne with her half-truths, innuendoes, and riddles. But it was late and he obviously wouldn't find the answers to his questions tonight. He turned to leave and Maria placed her gnarled old hand on his sleeve, "Thank you for seeing her safely home. She will probably not remember much of what happened tonight. She can't accept some of the things she has seen in her life, things that haunt her still. I'm sorry if I sound like I'm trying to be mysterious. There are so many things that will be clearer to you once Gabriella explains who and what she is."

Rayne knew it had taken much for the old woman to share this with him. He put his large tanned hand over hers and a smile graced her lined, aged face causing her blue eyes to sparkle. He suddenly knew that he believed the things she had told him, and he knew that he would grow to love this old lady.

Rayne arrived home and sat before the fire sipping cognac and smoking a cigar. His thoughts were filled with many things. He thought about the happiness of his friend Javonnie, the tears of Gabriella and wondered not for the first time what could cause one so lovely as she to know misery such as was revealed on her face when she had sat in the garden crying. Then there was the mysterious Maria. He firmly suspected that beneath that gruff, grouchy exterior beat a warm and loving heart. He had planned to take care of his business here in London, tour the estates he had inherited and leave as quickly as possible to his carefree life in Tahiti. He realized with a start that not once since the night he had met La Gata had he given Navia more than a passing thought.

Perhaps Javonnie was right, maybe she wanted a permanent relationship, but he also knew that relationship would never be with him. He cared for her, she was a bright, intelligent and extremely sensual woman, but he felt only affection for her. He remembered the conversation he had had with Javonnie about marriage and he had a strange feeling that Javonnie might have been right. Mayhap he had met the woman that would turn his world upside down and steal his heart. Funny, he had never envisioned himself settled with a wife. He rose from the chair, finished off the cognac and tossed the half-smoked cigar into the fire. His thoughts had turned melancholy, something that had not happened since the loss of his parents. What a coincidence that both he and Gabriella had both lost their parents at such a young age.

Chapter 5

The following week an invitation arrived from Gabriella. She wanted him to escort her to an afternoon concert at Vauxhall. Rayne chuckled at the invitation, Vauxhall, an afternoon concert; she definitely had decided to play it safe. Well, well, he would have to see what he could do to upset her strategy. He would issue an invitation of his own. He knew her well enough to know that she couldn't resist a challenge. He dashed off a note to her confirming their afternoon engagement and included at the bottom. "My dearest Gabriella, I really expected something a little more daring from you. I issue you an invitation, if you dare accept it. Have dinner with me, at a place of my choosing. I can promise you an interesting time" at the bottom he had simply scrawled a capital R with a flourish. He sent his footman straight away to Rue St John 332 and instructed him to await a reply.

Gabriella opened the note and read quickly through it and laughed out loud at Raynes audacity. But, he had definitely piqued her curiosity, and it had been months since she had had an adventure. Maria was shaking her head at the girl with the dancing green eyes. But Gabriella ignored her and laughed as she replied to Raynes note "It will be my pleasure to join you for dinner…at a place of your choosing." And with a giggle she penned a capital G with swirls and embellishments and handed the note to the footman. She raced upstairs and began throwing gowns on her bed. She raced out to the balustrade and called down to Maria, "Well, what are you waiting for? Get up here and help me pick something out."

Maria, mumbling and grumbling trudged up the stairs. But when she reached the top and Gabriella enveloped her in a tight hug she hushed her grumbling and smiled impishly at the exuberant girl. "Okay missy, you need an afternoon gown and you will have to return here to dress for dinner. But where do you think he will bring you. A place of his choosing, it could be anywhere from the finest restaurant to his bedroom. You little idiota you are hoping it will be the later aren't you?" Maria demanded.

Gabriella at least had the grace to blush before she responded, "Of course not Maria, how could you think such a thing?"

"You forget I saw the way you clung to him in your sleep, as well as the hunger on his face as he devoured you with his eyes."

"But Maria, you said he would protect me. You said he was the one."

"Ah, but who will protect you from each other?" That was the part of her vision that she had never told Gabriella. The dark one would save her from the evil one, but the dark one would not be easily controlled. It was that part that frightened Maria, but she knew that fate could not be changed, one must face one's destiny. She would light a candle and pray that he wouldn't destroy Gabriella when he learned the truth.

Rayne found himself whistling as he dressed for the afternoon concert and was a little disconcerted that he should be so happy to be attending an event that he normally considered to be quite boring. But then he picked up Gabriella's return note and threw back his head and laughed. She had sealed her fate when she had agreed to his invitation. He was most assuredly looking forward to dinner and dessert.

He was greeted with a glare from Maria when he arrived at Gabriella's. "Now Maria, whatever did I do to deserve that look? I rescued your baby; I am doing my duty as protector in escorting her to the concert. What more could you ask of a protector?" Rayne inquired with a teasing tone in his voice.

"Protect her? You have not yet begun to protect her. It will not be so easy once it starts, the evil one will see to that!"

"Maria!" Gabriella stood on the stairs her green eyes stormy with anger "you forget yourself. Rayne, please excuse Maria, she sometimes speaks when she should be silent."

He could see that it hurt Gabriella to say the things she had said. Maria turned on her heel and left the foyer, but turned just before she walked through the door and said in parting, "It's silence you want, so be it!" She swept through the door as regal as a queen. Rayne felt that he had just witnessed a battle of two wills that were both strong as iron.

Once in the carriage, Gabriella chatted on about the weather, the latest fashion and gossip. Yes, she was determined to keep this conversation of safe footing. Rayne was agreeable to this, after all he had the whole night, she just didn't know it yet. As he smiled lazily at her, he was mentally undressing her and as he felt himself begin to harden at the mental picture he was creating he decided he had better pay closer attention to the conversation, or he would be getting himself in trouble.

Gabriella seemed to thoroughly enjoy the concert, although Rayne would have been hard pressed to say what the concert was about. Throughout the entire concert he had sat watching Gabriella and wondering exactly what Maria had meant by the strange things she had said. Knowing he would only have the answers to those questions when Gabriel chose to confide in him, he concentrated instead on thoughts of the evening ahead. He was an expert lover, and he knew that not because of conceit, but by the long line of conquests he had made in his lifetime. A sensual smile graced his face as he contemplated Gabriella's surrender to him.

Gabriella, who Rayne had thought was absorbed by the concert, had in fact paid little attention to the musicians or actors. She had been consumed by thoughts of the upcoming evening. She knew Maria believed Rayne was the "one". But she would have to be assured herself of that before she divulged her secrets to him. If she chose unwisely and told the wrong person, it could well mean her death. She did not fool herself into believing that Torquemada had stopped looking for her. She knew she couldn't dally much longer in London. She needed to feel the roll of her ship beneath her feet, the salt spray in her face and the sun on her back. She missed the crew and she missed the adventure. She gave Rayne a sidelong glance from beneath lowered lashes, although Rayne was proving to be a very pleasant diversion she knew she would have to resume her search for Torquemada soon. She knew Rayne was watching her, and that thought along with the intense gaze of his penetrating blue eyes made her slightly breathless. She had never had difficulty controlling the men in her life. All had sought the one treasure she had as yet chosen not to give up, but she wasn't so sure Rayne would be so easily controlled.

As they strolled, arm in arm, through the walks surrounding Vauxhall they spoke of non-consequential things. Both had thoughts of other things. They stopped for refreshments at a local café before returning to Gabriella's home. Rayne had seen her safely to her door and had taken her hand and pressed a kiss to the back of it before turning it over and boldly kissing her palm, and lightly touching his tongue to her palm. A shiver ran over Gabriella's entire body and she felt as if it was a promise of things to come.

Rayne dressed for dinner in his traditional black, but looked nonetheless elegant as usual. He arrived and was speaking with Maria, who was being decidedly cool tonight. So, he gathered she was not over her tiff from earlier in the day. He glanced up and was stunned at the sight that greeted his eyes. Gabriella stood at the top of the stairs with one hand on the railing. She was wearing a traditionally Spanish styled gown. It was ruby red with black lace; it clung to her body creating a feast for his eyes. The bodice was tight and low cut and her breasts all but spilled forth from their prison of satin and silk. The dress hugged her hips that were softly rounded. Her hair was piled high upon her head and held in place by a traditional Spanish comb. There were tiny ringlets escaping their confines to fall alluringly around her face, framing it and making her appear soft and vulnerable. As she descended the stairs Rayne felt himself begin to harden, and with all the will power he had, he forced himself to still. But he wasn't sure just how long his body would listen to his will.

Maria, seeing Gabriella dressed in the dress and looking so much like her mother had at that age, and seeing Raynes reaction, swore beneath her breath "Dios mio!" If Torquemada could see the beauty that the child had become, he would never stop pursuing her. As it was he wanted her only to punish her for escaping his clutches so many years ago and depriving him of raping the twelve-year-old she had been. Maria knew of Torquemada's depravity, she had witnessed him first hand rape both little girls and boys alike, and laugh at their shrieks of pain and fear. He had seen him rape a little girl of less than seven and at the moment of his climax he had slit her throat and the sight of the blood spewing from her throat had caused him to harden again instantly. It was then that he had turned on Catalina, Gabriella's mother and as he had raped her he had told her of the things he would do to her daughter when he caught her. But Gabriella knew nothing of that; Maria had kept the knowledge of his depravity to herself. Gabriella had suffered enough as it was. Now, here was Gabriella looking for all the world like Catalina had and although she was still as pure as the day she had been born, Maria knew the fiery passion that lurked just beneath the beautiful surface was waiting to be ignited by the right man. By the dark one as foretold in the vision at her birth. She feared for Gabriella, but knew she could do naught to change the course of her destiny. She sighed with worry as the dashing young couple walked past her with eyes only for each other.

As Gabriella walked ahead of Rayne down the steps to the awaiting carriage, the sensual sway of her hips inflamed his desire. He entered the carriage and sat opposite her, for all of two seconds before pulling her onto his lip and into his arms. His lips found hers and tasted deeply of her nectar. She tasted sweet and as he ended the kiss a tiny moan escaped her mouth, only to be captured in Raynes as he renewed his assault on her lips. Gabriella caught Raynes face between her hands and much to his surprise she in turn ravaged his mouth until her lips were swollen with desire. She felt the hard proof of his desire against her derrière and shaken by the feelings he was causing in her shakily suggested that perhaps she should return to her seat.

1...345678