Rayne

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Veronica, aren't you going to say something?" Javonnie asked impatiently. Which was what Rayne himself was wondering.

"Well, you've made a fine mess of things Mr. Sumner!"

"Me? Mess? I stand here baring my soul to you, professing my love for you, asking you to be my wife, mother to my children and you accuse me of creating a mess of things? Blast it women, you're never satisfied" Javonnie said running his hand through his hair distractedly.

"Damn it Javonnie" Rayne wanted to shout, you were almost home free. Couldn't the man hold his arrogance in check for even one moment?

"Yes, you've made a mess of things. Here I am already promised to marry another man, at a ball to announce that very engagement and you show up and drag me out here, confess your love and expect me to just walk in and tell all these people, what? That I've made a terrible mistake, that I allowed one of the most notorious rakes and debauchers in London to make wild passionate love to me for one entire glorious night and then sail away into the sunset, without me? But oops silly me, I didn't know I was supposed to wait a lifetime for you to sail back into my life as if nothing had happened? Damn you Javonnie, how could you? All of this could have been avoided it you would have opened your mouth and told me of your intentions, or picked up a pen and written to me." Well-said Rayne chuckled to himself.

Javonnie sighed, took a deep breath and asked, "You're not going to be reasonable about this are you Veronica?"

"What exactly do you expect me to do Javonnie?"

Well, at least she had stopped calling him Mr. Sumner and was calling him by his given name. "Well, we could get Stevie boy out here so you could break the bad news to him in private. Then with that out of the way, we could speak to the aunts in the study and apprise them of the situation and since this is a ball to announce your engagement, why not do just that?"

"You lost me Javonnie," she said exasperatedly. "You just suggested I break my engagement."

Javonnie explained it once more patiently, "Announce our engagement sweetheart. Just think of how envious all those other single females will be. Then they will have to turn their attentions to my wonderful friend Rayne, the Duke of Darkness." The last part had been added for Raynes benefit, because Javonnie knew without a doubt Rayne was just behind the hedge listening to every word.

"Do you think it would really work? I mean could we do this? You know everyone is expecting me to announce my engagement to Stevie."

Javonnie was stunned by the look of hopefulness and doubt mixed on Veronica's beautiful face. "Baby, you just leave everything to me. You wait right here, okay? Promise me when I return you will be standing right here in this exact spot."

Veronica blushed becomingly before saying "Oh Javonnie, I do love you! Of course I'll wait right here you silly twit." There was a long silence as Javonnie pulled Veronica into his arms and kissed her deeply. Rayne moved quietly away to give the two lovers a few moments of privacy.

Javonnie came around the bend in the walkway and grinned at Rayne, "Guess you heard?"

"Every word. By God Javonnie, I didn't think you were going to pull it off there for a while. Stuck you foot in it didn't you son?"

"Never mind that now, I've got an idea. Can you keep Veronica company for a little while? Give me a half an hour and then meet me by the back gate."

"Javonnie, what are you up to?"

Javonnie gave Rayne one of his award winning smiles and started up the steps toward the ballroom where he turned and said "Keep her company, but keep your hands off of my future wife!"

Rayne rolled his eyes and returned to keep Veronica from having second thoughts.

Javonnie reached Stevie's side and clapped him on the back so hard the small-framed dandy almost went sprawling in the floor. He probably would have except Javonnie had a hold on his arm. As Stevie turned his owlish eyes toward the offender he was met with one of Javonnie's most brilliant smiles. "Stevie ole boy, I'd like you to join me in the study. You know old man, sort of a pre-celebratory drink" Javonnie winked. Stevie, who had long wanted to fit in with the crowd Javonnie ran with, known rakes and debauchers, jumped at the chance to rub it in that he was about to announce his engagement to the beautiful Veronica. Once Javonnie had him alone in the study he began to ply Stevie with Cognac. After several drinks of the strong spirits poor Stevie was well into his cups and easily convinced that the voluptuous Veronica was eagerly awaiting him by the back garden gate for a few stolen kisses.

As arranged, Rayne excused himself from Veronica just in time to see Javonnie and Stevie weaving down the path. Stevie had a goofy smile pasted on his face in obvious drunken oblivion and Javonnie was looking extremely pleased with himself. "Okay, you've managed to get him drunk. Was that before or after you told him Veronica had changed her mind?"

"Actually, we never quite got around to that part. I decided it would be unjustly cruel to tell Stevie that bit of bad news without compensating him in some way."

"So, what exactly is it you've planned by way of compensation?"

Javonnie couldn't stop the laughter as it bubbled up in his throat and his chest rumbled with the sound of it. "I thought Red and Scotty could take him over to one of the houses of ill-repute that you and I used to frequent so regularly and let him wake up with not one but two of the brawdiest "ladies" the establishment has to offer. Of course it would be my "treat"."

Rayne had to admit, it was terrible clever on Javonnie's part and he would love to see the look on the little twit's face when he woke up with two naked "soiled-doves" as he referred to them. Yes sir, old Stevie was in for quite a surprise.

Stevie was soon deposited into the landau and on his way to a night he would never remember, or forget either for that matter!

Javonnie took Veronica by the hand and entered the ballroom. "Excuse me, could I have your attention please?" The musicians stopped playing and everyone turned to look with interest at the handsome man standing beside Veronica Mulholland. "I know you are all gathered here expecting to hear Mr. Finch and Miss Mulholland announce their engagement. Well, there has been a slight change in plans. Miss Mulholland is announcing her engagement tonight, to me." There was a great deal of twittering among the guests and the aunts approached with quizzical expressions on their faces. But when they saw the smile on Veronica's face, they were the first to offer their congratulations.

Rayne inclined his head in a silent salute to Javonnie that said he totally approved of the way he had handled the situation. As the guests made their way to the glowing couple to offer congratulations Rayne caught sight of the most beautiful woman he had ever seen before. When she approached closer he had a nagging feeling that he had seen this woman somewhere before, but just couldn't put his finger on where he knew her from. He wrangled an invitation from one of the aunts as she drew nearer. "Miss Quientanilla, may I introduce the Duke of Quinhurst?" As the beautiful woman turned a momentary flicker of recognition flashed across her face. It was concealed so quickly that Rayne thought he had imagined it. "It's a pleasure to meet you Duke Quinhurst. It would seem that while your friend has stolen the night, you are the talk of the single women here tonight."

"The pleasure is all mine Senorita Quientanilla. I'm afraid people here in London tend to talk when they should be listening."

"Really? And what would they hear if they were listening?" she said with a provocative smile on her lush ruby red lips.

"Only that the other ladies present pale in comparison to your beauty."

"So, the things I've heard about you are all true, senor?"

The way she said the word "Senor" was so familiar. "Well, I'm not sure what you've heard, so it would be hard for me to confirm whether or not it's true, now wouldn't it?"

She liked his rapier wit and the banter with him was much better than the boring conversations she had had to endure so far this evening. "Senor, it's terrible stuffy in here, would you think me terrible forward if I asked you to escort me into the garden for a breath of fresh air?"

"Not at all, senorita, I rather like a woman that knows what she wants and isn't afraid to say so" Rayne bowed gallantly before placing her hand in the crook of his arm and leading her out the French doors to the moonlit garden beyond. He led her to an iron bench and after seating her he stood with one foot on the small seat leaning closer to her while resting his forearm on his knee. "You seem very familiar to me Miss Quientanilla, have we met before?"

"No, not to my knowledge and I'm sure I wouldn't have forgotten if I had met you before" she said with the compliment thinly veiled. Rayne was quite good at this game, in fact it was one he excelled at. But he thought with humor, she didn't know just how good he was at this particular game and so thought she could turn his head with her compliments. He would let her think that for a while, but he knew he wouldn't play this coquettish game for long, before he demanded more than she would want to give.

"I understand you recently lost your grandfather, I'm very sorry for your loss."

"Unfortunately, my grandfather and I were not close and I had not seen or spoken to him in years. I am here only to sort through the estate and make necessary arrangements before returning home. What brings you to London Miss Quientanilla?" Rayne inquired politely.

"Last names are so formal, don't you agree? Please, Mr. Quinhurst, I much prefer you call me by my given name, Gabriella."

Rayne took in the sight of her beautiful skin and seductive eyes and her ruby red lips, full and pouty and felt himself quicken. "A beautiful name to fit an equally beautiful woman. By all means, I would be honored to call you Gabriella, but only if you consent to stop calling me Mr. Quinhurst, it makes me sound like my grandfather. That's a fate worse than death" Rayne said with mock horror.

"Very well senor, but what should I call you? Perhaps the Duke of Darkness?" Gabriella said somewhat impishly.

"Ah, I see you have already been treated to the entire sordid history of my background. Perhaps you could find it in your heart to simply call me Rayne?"

"Rayne, that's an unusual name, but then you are a most unusual man, aren't you?"

"Now, where would you get that idea, Gabriella? Do you know something you're not telling me?" Rayne inquired with a sardonic lift of his black brow.

"One can hardly help but pick up little tid-bits when you are all the ton has discussed for the past month."

"So, you've been in London for the past month?"

"Actually, I've only been here for a few days, I was, um detained on my way here by a small side diversion."

So was I, Rayne thought, as he once again thought of the beautiful Spanish woman in the leather breeches with the dancing emerald eyes and wildly disarrayed hair and the seductive smile. Those pouting ruby red lips. As these thoughts ran through his head he realized with a start that he was seeing those exact same features before him. Except that this woman's hair was smoothed into a perfect chignon and it was hard to tell if her hair was curly or not. His eyes narrowed as he studied the beautiful face tilted up at his and wondered if it could possible be…but, no, that would be impossible. This elegant lady before him couldn't possibly be La Gata. But then one would be hard pressed to see Rayne as he was tonight and the way he was when he was aboard The Phantom dressed as El Diablo and make the connection.

"Senor? Is there something wrong? You look as if you've seen a ghost."

"Wrong? No, it's just that you suddenly reminded me of someone I recently met. You bear such a strong resemblance to her that for a moment I almost thought you might be her. But then that's preposterous, isn't it?"

"Senor, you have a friend, and yet you're not sure if I'm her? You must not be very good friends if you can't recognize her." He couldn't possible know! No one had ever made the connection. She had to get away from Rayne, to put some distance between them. She knew it had been foolish to play with this man, he was much too dangerous for these kinds of games. "I believe I am quite revived now, and perhaps we should return to the ballroom."

"As you wish senorita." Rayne had hoped he might convince her to dally in the garden for a short while. It had been a long time since he had bedded a woman, and this was the first woman he had felt any sexual attraction to since the night in La Gata's cabin. That had been the reason for his surly mood that Javonnie and his crew had been dodging. It was strange that this woman made him feel just like La Gata did.

Once inside the ballroom Gabriella was set upon by no less than half a dozen young swains begging for a dance. She flashed Rayne an apologetic look as she was swept onto the ballroom floor to the haunting strains of Mozart. Rayne joined Javonnie and Veronica to offer his congratulations and tease Javonnie that he guessed he would have to find him a new doctor for the ship. Veronica answered before Javonnie had the chance, "Yes, you had better! Next time he sails off, I won't be so easy to convince to give him another chance!"

"Easy!?! I thought we were going to have to make use of that landau before you finally gave in and consented to marry the fool!"

"Landau? What are you talking about Rayne?"

"Didn't Javonnie tell you about his little plan?" Rayne asked with devilment dancing in his eyes.

Javonnie with a murderous look on his face quickly answered, "No, we didn't exactly get to that part of the story, Rayne!"

"Javonnie, what is Rayne talking about?" Veronica asked. She could tell there was something going on between these two handsome friends, but she wasn't sure just what it was.

Javonnie took Veronica's hand in his and pressed a kiss to it before answering, "Darling, it is such a romantic story, I was saving it our wedding night. So that I could share it with you as we lay in our marriage bed sipping champagne and convince you of just how much I loved you and to just what desperate lengths I was willing to go to, just to make you mine. You wouldn't want to spoil that would you?"

Javonnie's charm came through for him again, and Rayne smiled knowingly as Veronica melted under that seductive smile of Javonnie's. Poor girl, she didn't stand a chance against the rogue! "I believe I will try to wade my way through the crowd of young swains surrounding your beautiful Spanish guest. I believe she owes me a dance."

"Rayne, you sure do seem to have developed a taste for Spanish women of late. I just hope you have better luck with this one!" Javonnie laughed as Rayne gave him a dirty look and made his way to the woman of whom he had just spoken. As Javonnie took a good look at the woman Rayne had indicated and he got a strange premonition that this woman would be a controlling factor in Rayne's life. He tried to shake off the feeling. He hadn't had one of these de´ja vu feelings in over five years. But even though he laughed and smiled the night away as he accepted congratulations from well wishers, but by the end of the night, if anything, the feeling was even stronger. He felt a certain obligation to Rayne to tell him of his "feeling". He had no fear that Rayne would laugh at his "feeling" because too many times in the past these "feelings" had proven all too fateful.

As he and Rayne rode home that night, Rayne was laughing and congratulating Javonnie on his stroke of genius in disposing of Stevie. Rayne noticed that Javonnie for all that he was trying to be attentive and jovial, he was somewhat subdued. "Come, come ole man. Don't tell me that you're already feeling the tightening of the noose?" Rayne joked.

"Oh, that not at all. Actually, I'm quite relieved that I was fortunate enough to get Roni to consent to marry me. It was what I wanted all along, only I was too bull-headed to admit it, although I will miss our days at sea Rayne. You know I could make a couple of more voyages with you, just until you find a replacement for me. I know Roni wouldn't begrudge me that."

"No sir, I'm not going to have you lose that woman, now that you've finally landed her! You just concentrate on getting her to the altar and keeping her happy afterward!"

"Actually Rayne, I do need to talk to you about something. I'm just not sure how to put this into words."

Rayne could see that Javonnie was dead serious and seemed to be somewhat upset about something. "Javonnie, I haven't heard you talk like this since the last time you had one of those damnable visions of yours."

"Yeah, I haven't had one since that time, that is not until tonight."

Rayne swallowed, with unease because he knew from experience, Javonnie and his "feelings" were never wrong. "Well, what is it?"

"Actually, it was sort of a vague feeling, but it did seem to involve the beautiful Spanish woman you were dancing with. Rayne, I'm sorry, I know you hate it when I get these visions, and I wish I could be more specific. But I don't think she's of any danger to you, it was more like…well, like she was your destiny" Javonnie finished lamely.

"My destiny, huh? Well, I must say, you've definitely had worse visions. I certainly don't mind having her in my future! It's strange that you should have a vision about her, it seemed like I had met her before. She closely resembles my little feline friend."

"Do you think it could be her? It is possible you know."

"No, I think I could have been sure if it was her, I guess it was just that they had the same eyes, but somehow I can't imagine Gabriella in leather breeches wielding a sword."

"You never know. Just be careful."

The carriage pulled up to the townhouse and Rayne bid Javonnie 'goodnight' as he went upstairs to bed.

Chapter 3

Stevie felt all warm and comfy as he hovered in that place between sleep and wakefulness. His head ached but the softness his head rested on made it feel much better. As Stevie slowly opened his eyes his vision was a bit blurred but it almost seemed like he was in a pink room. He blinked a couple of times to clear his vision and when it was fully restored he was astounded to find he was indeed in a pink room. The comfy softness he head rested on was a plump naked breast! He was almost afraid to move, but he wanted to find out where the warmth to his back was coming from, so he slowly lifted his head and glanced behind him and there he found another naked female pressed close to him. His movement had disturbed his "pillow" and as he was trying to decide where he was and how he got there his "pillow" reached down and closed her hand "around" him. Stevie boy let out a yelp, he was so startled.

"Now, now Stevie my boy. It's a little late to play the shy game don't ya think?" the red-haired "pillow" asked with a sly smile.

"How, how, how did I ggggget hhhere?" Stevie stuttered. When Stevie was nervous the stammer he had worked so hard to control manifested itself and it always caused him undue embarrassment. And Stevie was definitely embarrassed, especially since his other bed companion had awakened and was rubbing her naked form against his back. He could feel her hard nipples as they brushed against his naked back and her stomach and lower was pressed tightly against his buttocks as she moved suggestively.

"Why Stevie, you arrived with a couple of your friends last night, and you were celebrating getting you neck out of a noose you said" the large breasted red-head told him all the while stroking him while the petite blonde behind him continued to move against him.

123456...8