Scoundrel's Answer Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The names stated, all survivors of the old guild, all known to be good people, were certainly not bad choices. He had some reservations over their long term administrative skills, but for the moment, they would do. The old rogue turned his gaze across the crowds. Sure enough, Tannon stood there in the shadows near one wooden pillar, and not far away, the two half elven women sat, their hoods raised but their figures unmistakeable. It did not escape Alan's attention that the two still held hands, despite the assumption that whatever spell had compelled them to seek pleasure in one another had been dispelled the night before. A faint smirk crossed his features, and he nodded to Vick.

"Yeah, those will do in a pinch."

"Good," Vick rumbled the word out, seeming pleased with not having to argue the point. "As you all know, Alan's wife is still missing. The shape shifter posing as Devron had shipped her out of the guild before we managed to arrive. Alan, I think Windhawk has some good news for you."

Alan raised a brow, and then turned his gaze to the elven ranger. He was met with a slow shrug of slender shoulders, and she folded her hands before herself, her elbows rested on the table. She remained silent for a moment, before her piercing eyes shifted at last to meet his.

"I was on my way to town because someone's been stirring up trouble in Pinroot Wood. On my way here just last evening, I spotted two people moving through the outskirts of the forests. One was a human woman, in a dress unsuited for woodland travel. The other was a man, a bard, student of the druids from the looks of things. If he was traveling alone, he'd be hard to pick out, but with the woman with him, his passage was slow, and obvious."

Alan couldn't help but break into a smile. "Windhawk, that's brilliant. We know what general direction they were going, right?" After a quick nod from the elven woman, Alan sat back and considered the information. "It has to be that bard we encountered."

"We already suspected as much," Vick chimed in.

"Yes, but now we know they aren't that far ahead of us, a night's travel at most. If we hurry we can catch up, and Windhawk can track Lizzy. We just need to leave immediately."

"I've already had a few horses prepared, as well as supplies for the journey," Vick nodded to Alan, then Windhawk in turn. "Were they on foot?"

"As far as I could see, yes."

"There is one other matter, before we go," This time it was Garthur that spoke, and the others at the table looked across to him. "We've no arcane support, not since," the old dwarf grew silent as he turned his eyes grimly to the lone empty chair at the table.

"Well what do you propose?" Alan regretted asking as soon as he spoke though, it could only end poorly. The Reavers had very few magic users of any stripe among them, and of those, most were hardly novices, all except for one.

"Well, that gnome girl from last night," The dwarf began.

"No."

Vick grinned faintly as he turned his gaze to Alan, "An illusionist of some considerable skill, who has already shed her own blood for this cause."

"No!"

The elven woman shifted in her seat, and looked curiously between Alan's protests and Vick's words. "Is she of good heart?"

"Aye, that she is, from what I can tell. She'll help us reign these two scoundrels in." The dwarf and the elf didn't agree on much, but of the group, they were more in accord on moral matters than the rest.

"You can't be serious," Alan was almost desperate at that point.

"Faringalia Phantasmagoria!" Vick's booming voice resounded through the room.

Alan could do little but bury his face in his hands as the diminutive woman made her way toward the table. It wasn't that she was bad at what she did, she was quite good. She had proven herself skilled, but between her voice, her attitude, and the way she had reacted to the bloodshed of the night before, the illusionist just got under Alan's skin.

As she neared the table, Vick stood, then gestured to the empty chair. "Faringalia, we have been too long without a permanent magic user among our group. I formally invite you to take the place of the late Miena of Startower, and make our party whole once more."

Her dazzling eyes grew wide as saucers, and her slender little form immediately scrambled up into a chair made for someone more than twice her height. She would have appeared childlike in her eager movements, if not for the curves she most definitely possessed.

"Do you really mean it? Oh my gods this is such an honor, I'll do the best I can possibly do to use my talents for you. I've dreamed of this for years, working at odd jobs here and there just to keep my skills up and ready for the day when the Reavers needed me for real. I mean you know how bad things have been and honestly there were times I wanted to just give up and join an adventuring company whose best days weren't behind them, but after seeing what you did last night I know that we can all rise to greatness once more..."

"Moving on," Vick cleared his throat after interrupting the gnome, "We need to move out. We'll ride right for the east gate and out into the woodlands. Windhawk, you take point, we'll go as quickly as we're able. Faringalia, you ride with me." And with that, he moved to disengage himself from the fawning affections of the former whore.

As Vick stood, he seemed noble, defiant, despite the way his ponderous bulk worked to undermine his image. Garthur and Windhawk gathered their gear, and moved to follow the Count toward the door. Around them, the few nobles who were left applauded lightly, while the young adventurers waiting in the wings broke out in cheers. Alan stood after Faringalia, and followed the gnome out toward the door, blinking against the sunlight that streamed through. Amidst the crowds they passed, he spotted Charity, and as her eyes met his, he was sure he saw a blush rise on her cheeks, before she quickly looked away.

The old rogue shook his head, such thoughts and worries were the last thing he needed at this point. Outside, the horses were already prepared, the stable hands had brought them out, and indeed supplies were packed upon them to last a week or more. Alan Tinsley was duly impressed.

As the crowd watched them go, the five mounted up, and began to ride out through the streets. Outside, local commoners and guardsmen lined the streets, as if their departure were some grand parade. He wasn't sure if Vick had arranged it or not, and he didn't really want to know. It necessitated a slower pace than he would have liked, at least until they reached the outskirts of town.

And there, just before they were all clear to pass the gates, a lone figure on a black horse rode out to block their way. Slender, that figure was definitely female, with a figure sheathed in skin tight black leathers, and then shrouded in a copious black cloak. Not an inch of her flesh was visible, with gloves and boots tucked into her leathers, her face hidden behind mask and smoke-tinted goggles.

"Who goes?" Vick demanded, and fixed his gaze upon the woman who blocked their way.

She remained silent for a long moment, her gaze as hidden as her features, before finally, a familiar voice drifted toward them, "Alan, it's not nice to slip out before a woman awakens."

"Daphne," Alan didn't know whether to feel relieved, or alarmed. "You shouldn't be out, the sun!"

"A single slip and the sun's rays will send you back where you belong, abomination!" Windhawk's words hissed forth in a snarl, as the ranger gazed at the other elven woman with absolute loathing. Already her bow was up and drawn, an arrow notched. Alan hadn't even seen her string it.

"Shut it, sniper. I'm here to help Alan." Daphne seemed supremely unconcerned, despite the very real danger she was in at that moment. "Accept my blade in service again, or see me destroyed, but you will not leave me here. I need to see this through, I need-"

"You need nothing, you are a travesty against the natural order."

"I need to see Alan happy," Daphne finished calmly.

Garthur raised one gauntlet clad hand, and he spoke authoritatively, "Windhawk, I know how you feel. I'm not the happiest to admit it either, but she could come in useful."

Alan and Vick turned surprised looks to the dwarflord, while Windhawk just stared, agape. "What?! You would have us travel with this blood sucking parasite?"

"Aye, that I would. She's taking a risk even being out and about at this hour, and for once, for once her heart's in the right place. Look at it this way, maybe you'll get to see her ended for good out here."

Slowly, Windhawk lowered her bow. As Daphne rode her horse over to near Alan, Vick shook his head, "What, don't I get a say in this?"

"Do you have any objections, your Lordship?" Daphne half bowed her head, but didn't stop her progress, until she was riding beside Alan's steed.

"No, I just wanted to make it known that I don't appreciate being left out of the decision making process."

"What, like the one involving signing up a new member?" Alan's quip earned a dirty look from Faringalia, but Vick just grinned.

"Nah, that's different. you had your say, we just ignored you."

Vick and Garthur both burst into laughter as Alan fumed. Thankfully, anything Faringalia might have said was lost by the distraction of Daphne reaching over to ruffle the gnome woman's hair.

"So you finally made it into the big leagues, a member of the main group. Congratulations." The vampire's tone was soothing, and though her features couldn't be seen, one could almost hear the smile in her voice.

Blushing, the gnome woman just dipped her head, "Yeah, I guess you're right. I suppose it's just natural to rib the new person, right?" Daphne nodded, and it seemed to satisfy Faringalia.

"Right, well this has all been charming, but we've a job to do. Onward!" Vick called out again, and spurred his horse on, into a fair clip. The others hastened to ride after him as he moved for the gates. They were soon moving faster than strictly necessary, perhaps to avoid more interruptions.

When they passed the city gates, Windhawk took the lead, visibly relaxing as the distance between herself and Daphne grew. They were on their way, and it was only a matter of time before they caught up with Alan's wife and her kidnapper, one way or another.

12