Somebody That I Used to Know Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The two of them had been talking about fathers, how Ray was never close to his own and how Adam wished his had seen past what Adam did with Alexandra, when Adam asked Ray an important question that had been bugging him.

"Why haven't you had a test yet?"

"A what?"

"You know, a D.N.A. test, to see if Lexi is really your daughter."

"Don't need one, I know she is."

"Yeah but, don't you want to be sure."

"Adam, I don't need one Ok? Yes, even with all the proof there is a chance Alexandra is not my daughter. But I believe she is and she believes I'm her father and that's what matter. If some test takes that away from us, we'd both be worse off than before we found out. I love Alexandra, and I want to treat her right. Like a good father should because god knows she needs one."

"Alright, makes sense."

Adam's mobile rang in his pocket, he finished his drink quickly and answered it.

"Yeah. Oh, is she alright? It's nothing serious is it? Alright, thank you."

He hung up and put down some money for his drinks. "That was the hospital. Kay's been sick so they've sent her home."

"Jesus, it's nothing bad is it?"

"No, just a stomach bug, she's been down the past few days but this is the first time she's thrown up. I'm gonna head home and she to her."

"Alright man I'll catch you later."

"See ya."

Adam wasn't drunk but he decided not to risk getting in the car. It was only a 20 minute walk home and he could pick the car up tomorrow, besides he'd come to love the gentle sea breeze in the evenings, the red and orange glow of the sun reflecting off the water as it slowly set on the horizon, despite feeling worried for Kanani Adam felt contented.

Adam walked straight inside when he got home and called out. "Kay, you here babe?"

"Bathroom." There was something in Kay's voice Adam couldn't place.

"Oh. How do you feel, do you need anything?"

"No, I'm fine. In fact I'm more than fine."

As if on cue Kanani stepped out of the bathroom and came face to face with Adam, he looked at the smile on her face, the tears in her eyes. And the little white stick in her hands. Adam stepped forward, he knew what the stick was but he still went in closer. On the stick was a little screen and in the screen was a + sign.

Adam looked up into Kanani's eyes who was trying and failing not to burst.

"I'm pregnant."

It was as if saying it out loud made everything more real, they both burst into tears, held tightly to each other and kissed, a difficult task when trying not to laugh.

"Oh my God. Kay this is incredible."

"I know Adam, I can't believe we did it."

"I know I should be worried because it's so soon and we can't afford a kid but I'm so happy I don't care."

"I don't care either, I'm just so happy. I love you so much."

"I love you too."

"So when do we start telling people."

"In a couple of hours."

Adam took Kanani's hand and pulled her through to the bedroom, she lay down and he lay on top of her, both kissing softly as they slowly undressed themselves.

"So, you ever had sex with a pregnant woman before?"

Adam grinned sheepishly. "Once."

Kay was genuinely surprised. "Oh, well that's a shame. I guess I can settle for being the best."

After Kanani set her place as the best pregnant sex Adam had ever had they decided to tell their families about the pregnancy, they started by bringing Kale and Ray - seeing him as close enough - round to their house.

"What's going on, why'd you bring us round here?" Ray was a barrel of questions. Kale, unsurprisingly, was sitting silently, watching Adam's every move like a hawk. Adam tried not to make eye contact with Kale, even with only one eye that was difficult. Adam never said it out loud but Kale still scared him.

"Dad, Ray. Me and Adam have some big news. I'm pregnant."

The look on Kale's face couldn't have been worse if Adam had punched Kay in the stomach right in front of him, he had a fury that was unrecognizable. Standing up - Adam forgot how tall the hulking brute really was - Kale loomed over Adam and stared at his son-in-law, even his dead eye seemed to be looking into Adam's soul.

"I warned you not to hurt my daughter."

"Dad he didn't..."

"I warned you that if you ever hurt her I would blind you."

"Kale don't you think this is a little..."

"He disobeyed me Ray. He's putting my daughter through nine months of pain and agony. I need to teach him a lesson."

Kale reached behind his back, Adam thought back to all those times he'd heard that when in danger a human does one of two things, fight or flee. He found a third option: Freeze.

Kale gripped something behind his back and snapped it in front of Adam, Adam closed his eyes, waiting to lose them. When nothing came he opened them and looked at what Kale held in front of him.

His hand, waiting for a handshake.

Kale laughed at Adam, a strange sound for the normally sullen thug. "I can't believe you fell for that one."

Adam looked around the room, Ray was laughing nervously, Kay was hitting her dad in the shoulder. Obviously Kale didn't break many jokes. Adam composed himself and shook Kale's hand.

"You look after her, you hear me. Both of them."

"I will, I promise."

Ray stood up. "Well, now we're past that embarrassing moment it's time to celebrate. I'll get something to drink."

"Don't bother, I can't have any champagne and I know you boys would prefer beers. We've got some in the fridge, you go get them Ray, I'll get something to eat."

Kanani and Ray went into the kitchen leaving Adam and Kale alone, despite the friendliness Adam was still scared.

"Sorry about scaring you like that, I don't normally pull jokes like that and I wanted to fuck around with you a little bit."

"Well considered myself fucked around. I'm just glad you're happy."
"Well happy might not be the optimum word, I'm happy for you but you do know this is earlier than you be having kids."

"I know, but we can worry about that later."

Kale gave a non-committal grunt, indicating he neither agreed nor disagreed with Adam.

"Can I ask you something Kale? Why do you say 'I'll blind you', not 'I'll kill you'?"

"Most people are smart enough to know I won't kill them. But if I say blind then there's the possibility I could and would still do it. Plus there's always that imagery of losing your sight. Kanani's mother was a psychologist, she taught some ways to keep our daughter safe."

"Well it's working. Listen I'm gonna call my mum real quick, tell Kay I won't be long."

Adam left Kale and the house to the back garden. He pulled out his mobile and called his mother, hoping she would still be awake.

"Yeah?"

"Mum, it's Adam. I didn't wake you did I?"

"No, no. I was just about to get ready for bed. What's going on?"

"Well mum, me and Kay have some news. She's pregnant."

"Pregnant. Jesus I just got over the first one now you kids are giving me another heart attack."

"First? Who else is pregnant?"

"Oh just some friend of mine, young girl. You don't know her. I thought you said you weren't having any kids yet."

"Things happen mum, this wasn't planned but we're happy."

"Well I'm glad to hear that son. Just make sure you know what you're doing in time for the baby."

"I will mum, thanks. See you later."

"Bye son."

Adam hung up and went back inside to join the small party. The next few months went by in a flash, with Kanani off on maternity leave and Adam having college money was tight, Adam took an extra shift at the car company but it wasn't enough to cover the difference. Adam suggested leaving college but Kanani refused, saying he needed to finish so he could get his law degree.

Thankfully there was small mercy, Kale still had the baby stuff for Kay and her brother, it was old and falling apart but Kale put some spit and polish on the stuff to make it suitable for a child. Back at home Claire sent over some equipment from her end and a few books to help Adam and Kanani prepare. He even got a letter from Alexandra.

"Adam,
I fail twice to be a parent, you get there on the first shot. Damn you.
I kid, I'm happy for you, really, you deserve it.
I'm with Liam now, I wanted you to know that, we've gotten quite serious and I'll be moving into his house at the end of August.
Also I've caved and I'm going back to school, an art course. God it's been too long since I held a brush.
Hope you're having a good time, give me a call when you run off again.
Lexi."

It was good to hear from Lexi again, despite how they left each other last time Adam still loved her and missed her, he was happy to hear she was back into art, her paintings were good when she was younger but she hadn't painted in years, if she was taking it up again she would be great.

Adam had his first hand experience with pregnancy, it was terrifying. He couldn't tell if when he walked into a room if Kanani was going to jump his bones or try to break them. Admittedly when telling this to Ray and Kale he exaggerated but he was still clueless. Thankfully the two fathers helped Adam as best they could, even Ray who missed the first 29 years of his daughter's life gave good advice. He told Adam something he would never forget.

"Always admit defeat. Even when you've won."

That line basically saved the marriage of the young couple because it helped avoid a lot of pointless arguments and before anyone could realise it the nine months had just flew by. Adam was rushing to the hospital when it suddenly hit him how fast the time had gone by.

Following the directions from the receptionist Adam found Ray in the waiting room.

"Where is she, is she ok, what can I..?"

Adam's questions were cut short by a loud scream from across the hall. Adam looked terrified but Ray smiled.

"Don't worry, that wasn't her. She isn't fully dilated yet so she's in her room waiting, I'll take you to her."

Ray led Adam into a room not far from the screaming woman, Kanani was inside, she was wearing a hospital robe, little make-up and a look on her face that mixed peaceful contentment with exhausted 'finally this is over'. She still looked beautiful to Adam.

"I'll go pick up Kale, see he gets here ok."

Ray left the couple as Adam walked over and sat on a chair next to his wife's bed.

"Hey."

"Hey."

"Ray says you're not dilated enough yet."

"Yeah, need to be at 10, I'm only at 6 but that's not too long. You nervous?"

"A little, how could you tell?"

"You're talking about how dilated I am."

"I guess I am. Sorry, it's just this is going by so fast, it seems like yesterday we couldn't decide what crib to get."

"Don't worry so much Adam, you'll make a great father, I know you... Oh, oh Jesus."

"What is it, what's wrong."

"Nothing, just a contraction, they hurt like a bitch but I can't do anything about them. Just, just give me a sec."

Adam watched helplessly as his wife braced herself through the pain, she didn't let out a sound but the pain was evident on her face. Once it was over she looked at the clock on the wall and wrote down on a piece of paper by her table.

"The doctor says to time them, they've been getting longer so hopefully I won't be here too long."

"Hopefully yeah. Can I get you anything?"

"See if there's any ice chips, I could use some about now."

"Ice chips, sure."

Adam found the ice chips, eventually, he got himself in a fluster for a few minutes beforehand but he bought himself a coffee and funnily enough that calmed his nerves down. Ray and Kale arrived about an hour after Ray had left, Adam never thought he'd be so happy to see the giant, Kale took charge like a general leading his troops into battle, he knew exactly what he needed to do and what everyone else needed to be doing. It took a lot of pressure off Adam.

Kanani had arrived at around 4 in the afternoon, by the time she was fully dilated it was pushing 5 in the morning. The only things keeping Adam awake were the billions of cups of coffees he'd pounded down like whiskey shots and the hard, leathery back-hand of Kale. It just further convinced Adam that Kale wasn't normal, he didn't sleep, he didn't rest, as far as Adam could tell he didn't eat or drink either.

The doctors offered to let Adam join his wife in the delivery room but both agreed in that caffeine fuelled state he was in that wasn't a good idea so Adam stayed back with Ray and Kale took his place.

Sitting in the hospital at 6 in the morning, Adam was surprised by how quiet it was, even with the early time he expected some activity but for the longest time it felt like just him and Ray.

Ray sensed his friend's worry. "Don't worry, she'll be fine, it's almost over now."

"I'll stay worried if that's alright with you. Any number of things could happen." Adam was thinking about Alexandra and her miscarriage, how that had come out of nowhere.

Ray had a warm smile on his face "I always pegged you for someone that didn't worry, you did what you felt like and ignored the consequences."

Adam had to smile, even in their short time as friends Ray had him down. "That was the old me, the me before I had responsibility."

"Good to see you're growing."

The two men talked through the early hours of the morning, any subject that came up bided their time for a few minutes before moving onto the next one. It helped past the time a lot quicker.

After a couple of hours, with Ray asleep on the chair and Adam on his 29th cup of coffee Kale came through smiling.

"Adam, come on through."

Despite the smile on Kale's face Adam still held his stomach in a knot, he didn't know what to expect when he entered the room, he held his breath and followed Kale round to Kanani's room.

When Adam walked in and saw his wife in bed all his worries melted away and he felt a smile on his face. He couldn't ask for a better scene, Kay's bed was sitting in front of a window, the morning sun shone through lighting her from the back, she looked so much like an angel Adam almost believed she was. In her arms was a little bundle, wrapped tightly in soft, white blankets, Adam walked slowly towards them and sat beside Kay on the bed, from here he could easily see the tears in her eyes, he looked down at the bundle in her arms and felt a small tear roll off his cheek.

"It's a boy." She whispered to him.

A boy, Adam had a son. God he felt a million emotions going through him, happiness, fear, joy, worry. But most of all love, Adam looked at his son, his fat cheeks, thin hair on his head, confused look in his eyes and immediately he loved him. Adam thought back to when he first met Alexandra and how quickly he fell in love with her, it was the same thing here.

"So what do we call him?" He asked his wife.

"I don't know, you have any ideas?"

"A couple, do we want an English or Hawaiian name?"

"English I think, he looks just like his daddy."

"Hmm, what about Kevin?"

"Kevin, where'd that come from?"

"Well I was thinking of naming him Kieran after my dad but then I figured I didn't want to reminder. But my mind stuck with K and I came up with Kevin."

Kanani looked down at their offspring. "Kevin McAllister. It fits. Hi Kevin, I'm your mummy, I love you so much."

Kay kissed Kevin in the forehead then turned to Adam. "But he's still only the number 2 man in my life."

Adam and Kanani kissed once more before inviting Kale and Ray in to meet Kevin.

That afternoon while Kevin and Kay slept Adam snuck outside to make a quick phone call, he had wanted to do this all day but didn't want to leave Kay's side.

The phone rung three times before it was answered.

"Hello?"

"Mum? It's Adam. I didn't wake you did I?"

"No, no. I was just getting ready for bed. So tell me, why did you call me at this ungodly hour."

"Sorry mum but I have big news. Kay gave birth this morning."

"What? Oh my god Adam that's amazing, what sex is the baby, how big is it, what's their name, when can I see my grandchild?"

"Calm down mum, it's a boy, his name is Kevin and you can see him whenever you like."

"Oh Adam, I'm so happy for you. I can't wait to meet Kevin. I'll get some time off work and come visit some time this week."

"I'd like that mum, I'll see if Ray can spare a room. You can bring Lexi with you."

Adam could almost hear the lump in his mother's throat at the mention of his cousin's name. "Adam that's probably not such a good idea."

"Why? Does she still hate me for something she did?"

"No. Adam trust me if she could make it she would but Alexandra's going through some... stuff right now and needs to sort that out before anything else."

"What stuff?"

"I can't say."

"Mum..."

"No Adam, it's her business, she's got me and Liam to help her but that's it. I'll ask her if she wants to come but I'm not promising anything."

Adam knew better than to argue with his mother. "Ok mum, I'll see you later in the week then, goodnight."

"Goodnight Adam, don't worry, you'll make a great father."

"Thanks."

Adam hung up the phone and went back inside.

**

2001

**

Surprisingly Adam found being a father easier than expected, it was still difficult at times to understand why Kevin was screaming and the late nights didn't help his college work but for the most part he had a good relationship with his son.

Claire visited as often as she could, forming a bond with her grandson immediately and treating him like royalty. She loved him instantly and it wasn't uncommon for her to take him for long walks in his pram while his parents were busy.

One such occasion helped the young couple immensely. Neither of them had had sex in a long time, there was the two month wait after Kevin's birth then career's and work and education and basically life got in the way. Both were getting crankier and snapped easier than before, it wasn't until valentine's day, one year since Kevin was conceived that Claire saved them, she took Kevin out for a couple hours and left a bottle of wine and box of chocolates for her son and daughter-in-law.

Kanani was the first to rip her clothes off with Adam not far behind, they were pouncing on each other in a matter of seconds and giving each other some of the hottest, most passionate sex they'd had as a couple. Adam slammed each Kay against the wall, then she pushed him down to the floor and rode him. When both came - which only took a few minutes they were so desperate - they held each other for a short while before putting on dressing gowns, opening the wine and throwing on a cheesy movie.

It was the best valentine's day they'd ever had.

There wasn't always peace in the McAllister house, the biggest argument the couple ever had was at the end of summer, 2001. They had to decide who'd stay home with Kevin and who'd go back to work. Adam thought Kanani should go back to work since she earned more than him but Kay wanted Adam to go back since he needed his education and once he became a lawyer he would earn more than enough.

The argument lasted for a good three days before they reached an agreement, Ray and Kale would take turns watching Kevin while Adam and Kay worked, then in the evenings Kay would take him back and Adam would take a night course. It meant they didn't see each other as much as they used but it helped.

**

2003

**

Kevin's first birthday came and went, then his second, even his third and still no sign of Alexandra. She stayed in touch through birthdays and Christmas cards but she never even came to see Kevin, Ray talked to her on the phone from time to time but she told him never to visit her. Being a dutiful father he reluctantly agreed.

It was nearing Christmas time, Adam was on holiday, although still working, he was on his final year of school, in the summer of 2004 he would get his law degree, depending on whether he passed his course. While doing some studying Adam saw Kevin stumbling around the floor, he'd taken to walking about a year ago but still hadn't mastered it, Adam was thankful he hadn't figured out how to open doors yet.