All Comments on 'Spenser for Hire: Love & Need'

by The Mutt

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 20 years ago
Brilliant

The content of this story may puzzle those who've never read a Spenser novel: but those who've been through more than a few will have to agree that this author's got the Spenser style down cold, and outrageously funny as well.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 20 years ago
Brilliant?

Not so sure of that. I will admit, language-wise I am impressed. It's written in a very good imitation of Parker's style. However, his style is basically borrowed from Film Noir and Pulp fiction. To be Parker there are a few rules: all dialogue must end with 'he(she) said.' Hawk must be so Blacksploitation as to make Shaft look like a homosexual, all women in the story must either be looked at as sexual objects (and/or must hit on Spencer), beer must be contemplated and all conversation must be snappy and not drive the plot.

Bonus points for including vague refrences to Boston history or seldom-used turns of phrase ("ducats").

Really, a copy of the Maltese Falcon and a copy of Frommers Boston is all you need.

To be fair, my only real complaint is that this story works so hard to keep in style and character, and yet Susan blows the whole thing (literally and figuratively).

1. S&S's "love" is meant to be understood, not stated. Have they ever actually said the words?

2. At any rate their commitment is such that adding anyone else in is a violation of their characterization.

I think the story would have worked much better with Hawk as a voyeur or by just leaving Hawk out of it entirely.

I'm just thanking God Belson and Pearl the Wonder Dog weren't involved.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 20 years ago
nice job

You have the syntax down, I hope to see more! Nice job

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 20 years ago
Outstanding!

Great story! An erotic Spenser with all the sexual innuendoes come to life. I love Spenser novels and that he stays true to Susan but this is a lovely twist. A great fantasy...please keep going!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 20 years ago
and the rest is due when?

I have long been a fan of the Spenser books, and you have captured the tone perfectly.....please finish the rest it's delightful

Spenser41Spenser41almost 20 years ago
Unbelieveable

As you can tell from my name, I am a big Spenser fan. I have all of the books, all hard back and most are first editions. So I am a serious Spenser fan. When I started to read this, I really thought it would be cheesy, but I will have to admit like everyone else this sounds like something Parker would have written in a horny mood.

Very well done and can not wait for the rest of the story.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous