Stupid Cupid

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Aw, old Charon's not so bad," he said giving her a boost up on the land.

"So, do I have to come this way again?" she asked as he started to push off.

"Not unless you're dead pet. One way in, one way out."

Selene nodded and waved. "Will I ever see you again?"

"Prolly not. But hey, trust me when I say you're among a lucky lot."

The old man had managed to worm his way into her heart so she couldn't help but ask one more question.

"Hey Charon!"

"Yes?"

"What happened with the woman?"

Charon lifted his head up and she saw red glowing eyes filled with mischief.

"Didn't buy her no tea, but I stuffed her muffin I'll tell ya that! Stick to the trail you naughty thing."

Selene shook her head. "Bye!"

Then she walked on. Perverts, all of them.

She passed what looked like mines and people who didn't seem to see her worked them fervently. The earth was moved in a strange pattern that made her wonder if they were trying to dig more room, or if they were digging their own massive grave.

Selene shuddered and started a brisk jog. Up beyond a set of giant gray stairs was a massive door.

Right before that door was an enormous creature that slept before it. It was bound with a massive chain that was rocked precariously just by the creature's snore. The three heads tucked in its lap were all scrunched together and Selene wondered how best to approach this. Okay so Cerberus was asleep. She wasn't a ninja, but maybe the snores would drown out her sound.

Yet, how would she manage to sneak past the door with it in front of it? On the steps leading up to the beast she saw the remains of soldiers of several different eras. Apparently they hit a snag on this part as well.

Selene frowned when she noticed one of the corpses looked fresh. There was still meat on the bone. It was nasty how it lay unburied. You'd think that old Hades would have the steps swept once in a...

Oh. Sweet Lord why had she come up with that idea of all ideas?

Frowning prominently Selene snuck up to the corpse.

"Forgive me," she mouthed, afraid that Cerberus might awaken.

Swallowing that bile that threatened to come up she took out an arrow and tried to play tricks with her mind.

Okay Selene here's the scenario. You're a young upstart doctor from Gotham with risky practices that your higher ups frown on. Luckily they're highly effective in the field. Now Mr. Smith the good saintly neighborhood dentist was just shot with the Joker's spreading acid. You now have to carve it out before it spreads to his lungs.

Selene hyped herself up like she was jumping into a double Dutch rope and then thrust the arrow in the corpse. With steely surgical precision she cut three chunks out of the poor soul. Immediately she threaded them on the arrows.

It is okay Selene, she said to herself. You're not going to hell. God will understand.

Then she let out a loud whistle. Cerberus sprung up, one head eyeing in on her before the others.

"Hey boy!" she said waving one of the arrows. "You want a treat?"

The formerly suspicious and dangerous Cerberus turned into a puppy that's bark made her body jerk back.

"Okay boy go get it!"

"BARK BARK!"

She slipped the arrow on her crossbow and shot it as far as she could within the chain's length. The dog rushed after it and she charged up the stairs, notching another arrow as she did. One of the heads got it but instead of fighting over it the other two noticed her ascent. She shot another. It landed right in front of the middle one and he grabbed it gratefully, snapping up the arrow and the meat whole.

When she reached the top of the stairs she shot the last one, and the two greedy heads battled the head that had gotten none, for the food that would slide into their mutual stomach. Grinning Selene pushed open the doors. Okay, so she wasn't a demigod or anything but she had to admit this was becoming quite the cakewalk.

When she entered two guards immediately blocked her with spears.

Or maybe not.

"Who dares trespass?" they shouted.

"I seek audience with Persephone and Hades," Selene said, putting her crossbow away behind her.

The two figures sat on large thrones behind them. She watched the woman wave a hand away and strode forward.

"Who are you?"

The booming voice belonged to Hades himself. It had an ashy timbre that reminded her of fire and she bowed the best she could.

"I am Selene Elizabeth Evans. I come on behalf of..."

"Charon already gave us the message," Persephone interjected icily. "We want to know why you think you can come here uninvited."

Selene swallowed. Time in the Underworld had made Persephone surly.

"I come seeking a soul," she said as respectfully as possible.

"What soul?" Hades asked frowning.

"The soul of Psyche. Eros' long lost love."

She noticed they both stiffened and looked at each other. It seemed the demise of what had been a fellow god had softened them. Persephone tilted her head and studied her while Hades began to speak.

"Child, Eros has already searched for his love. He scoured the pits of the souls with no fare to take them over, the fields of eternal work for those who do not wish to believe they are dead, even the chasm of eternal peace."

"Is there any place he didn't check?"

Hades frowned. "He checked every place but one, but it is impossible that she would be there. Psyche was tortured at the end of her life and so she would be thrust down here as a wretched soul. The fields of eternal flowers would not be open to her."

"That's where I want to check," Selene said firmly. "Please allow this."

"Why?" Persephone asked. "Of what significance is Psyche to you? Or Eros for that matter? Why risk your frail human form for a capable god?"

"I..." Selene paused.

There was a force inside of her that wanted her to go home, to ignore this fruitless quest and settle with Eros' obligated love. He would still be kind to her, still treat her well. That was what she wanted right?

No, she realized. That was not at all what she wanted.

"I have to find her. I have to."

"That doesn't answer the question."

"I have never met Psyche in anything other than storybooks," Selene said sighing, "...but I know Eros misses her. He has to see her. He needs something from her still."

"And what of you?"

"I..."

"You love him."

Persephone's eyes took on a kind look that matched her more as the daughter of the goddess of harvest. Then they glazed over with sadness. "Why do you do this then when you love him so much?"

"I have to," Selene said firmly. "I have to see if it's real. Tell me what I have to do. Tell me what I must do so that you will allow me to search the field."

Hades and Persephone looked at one another then Hades nodded.

"Very well. We will allow you time within the field of eternal flowers. Be aware that this field is never-ending so you must only venture in one direction lest you risk becoming lost in it forever. If you find Psyche, you may bring her back with you to your world."

"Thank you," Selene said bowing.

"Don't thank us."

Looking up she saw Persephone leaning on her hand, her eyes filled with deep pitying emotion.

"You owe nothing of your fate to us. The cost of your love is high my dear. If Eros returns to Psyche, if he chooses her...you will never feel this way again. He will haunt your dreams. Are you willing to risk that?"

Selene chuckled. "He already haunts my dreams, and my waking hours."

The King and Queen of the Underworld waved a hand and a red amulet appeared before her.

"Wear this around your neck," Hades instructed. "Never take it off. You will appear next to a patch of daisies. You must return to that patch if you ever hope to return home."

"I understand. Wait, before I go could I have a picture of her? I actually don't know what she looks like."

"If it is she you will know."

Selene didn't want to argue so she let it go.

"Close your eyes," Persephone lulled.

Selene closed them and touched the amulet in her hands. She took a deep breath and released it. Then she took another, and another.

"Hey, when can I open my eyes?"

There was no answer.

"Hey...guys?"

Selene opened them and found herself in a sunny field. Okay, well that was anticlimactic.

She looked at the patch of daisies and faced herself straight. Then she tapped her shoes and began to fly. The green stretched on and on moving from an invisible wind, rippling like an ocean.

"Psyche?" she called out. "PSYCHE, ARE YOU THERE?" Only the fragments of her echo scattered by the soft blowing wind answered her.

She traveled past tons of souls old and new. They looked like washed out versions of themselves, like someone had put an odd glow in them that made them look vibrant but not alive.

Time passed in droves, quicker or slower at moments, more slowly than she liked. She had no watch but mere minutes felt like hours. Sullen and afraid she would get lost she stopped and stood still.

She would turn back. At least she had done her best. She had no interest in leaving the cave to find it was the year 5000 and apes ruled the world. Selene's previous bravado seemed to seep from her like a glorious poison pulled from an enemy's wound.

She stood there dwelling on her defeat as anger and sadness made tears come to her eyes. Then all she could think about was Cupid. The way he laughed, the way he smiled, the way he made love to her. How his eyes sparkled when he was doing something that would make her throw something at him, and how tender he could be and knowledgeable about the things that mattered. The small things, the small things that she wanted to be hers and hers alone.

She wouldn't share him. She'd rather not have him at all.

"Psyche," she cried out aloud. "Don't you love him? Don't you remember what it's like to love him? How could you leave him like this? He needs you! EROS NEEDS YOU!"

Then the tears came, heavy waterworks that made her eyes sting. She was holding her hands in her face when she felt a presence on her shoulder. Looking up she saw a golden skinned maiden with long wavy dark brown hair and kind green eyes. Her eyes widened as she took the woman in. She was beautiful.

"Eros?" she said in a melodic tone. "That name...why do I remember it?"

"Are you Psyche?" Selene breathed.

"Yes, that is my name..." The woman said as though it were a self revelation.

"You need to come with me," Selene said urgently. "Eros needs you."

"Eros...yes. I remember Eros. Oh, he was so beautiful."

"He still is," Selene said taking her hand. Then she turned straight back and pulled the woman beside her.

"Wait! Where are you taking me?"

"Back to Eros," Selene snapped. "Isn't that what you want? Don't you love him?"

"Love him..."

Selene huffed at the woman's space case act.

"Listen sweetie, I know you've been dead for a while. But I need you to wake up okay? Eros needs you. If Eros needs you, can you do anything for him? Or are you pretty much a snazzy puff of smoke?"

The woman licked her lips and turned her eyes to her. "If Eros needs me I will be with him. If Eros needs me to love him, I will love him."

"Huh. What an odd answer. Okay babe, hold on."

Selene tapped her shoes and flew up. The woman floated up beside her and she held her hand.

"Hold on tighter," Selene said locking arms with her. "We don't have time to waste."

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU MOTHER!" Eros growled. He was currently flying at top speed towards Tartarus.

Hedone and Aphrodite were in a golden chariot pulled by two Phoenixes and Anteros flew beside him.

"Well what was I to do? She said she'd be back by sunrise!" Aphrodite said frowning. "She was adamant. In fact I admired her..."

"She could die mother," Eros said gravely. "She could get hurt. She could become a soul of the underworld. This is not one of your games. If you didn't like her you shouldn't have pretended."

Aphrodite fell silent with her son's harsh words.

Hedone patted her grandmother and sighed. "It's okay Auntie I understand. I don't know how you could deny the darling thing anything. She's tough. She'll be fine."

Eros scoffed and flew faster.

Anteros caught up with him quickly. "Hey brother! I know this seems bad but she was very readily prepared. Besides, I doubt Uncle will do anything to her. She bares your mark on her as well as Aphrodite's. And she has a golden drachma. She's obviously not the average human wandering into the mouth of a cave that's been hidden for centuries."

"I just want to find her brother," Eros snapped.

"I know, I know. We will."

When Eros touched down, his family just beyond him, Selene was walking out of the cave. She looked behind her and ushered to someone before noticing his presence.

"Oh," she said startled. "I guess I'm really late."

He didn't answer her, simply engulfed her into a hug and held her close.

"Don't you ever do anything so reckless again," he snarled. "What were you thinking?"

His mother jumped out and gave Selene a glare even while a smile tugged at her lips.

Hedone gave Anteros a thumbs up and Eros a very irritated, "I told you so."

"I brought..."

"I don't want souvenirs. All I want is..."

"Is it alright to come out Selene?"

All of them froze at the voice that came from within the cave. Selene pulled back from Eros and looked into his awe struck face. Her heart beat so fast she began to tremble and she slowly walked over and took the figure's hand.

"Yes, it's alright."

When she stepped out she heard Aphrodite gasp. Beside her, whole as any normal person was the beautiful Psyche.

"I found her," Selene said at Eros who had been mute the entire time. "I...thought it was the right thing to do."

Then she stepped back and to the side. If Eros wanted her he would go to her. That was all that there was to it.

"You did this?" Eros breathed latching his eyes onto Selene.

She nodded anxiously, a chill running through her as he paid attention to her. "Yes Eros. I mean..."

The chill stopped and transformed into horror when Eros rushed forward, and embraced Psyche.

"Oh my love," he whispered, tears spilling out of his eyes. "How I have missed you."

Selene swallowed the lump in her throat and took a step back.

Psyche smiled at him and patted his cheek. "Eros..."

"Yes, I am Eros," he said caressing her face. "You remember?"

Psyche nodded and smiled wider.

Then he kissed her. He pressed his gorgeous lips against her equally attractive ones and held her close with desperation.

And Selene's heart was broken.

A tear spilled out of her right eye and she swiped it up just in time for Eros to turn to her.

"Selene..."

He looked so conflicted. Selene was disgusted to even see remorse and pity. So she put on her brave face and rolled her eyes.

"Oh please," she scoffed. "Why do you think I brought her here? You were always bitching about how I couldn't stick around because I'm a bag of bones. Well here you go. One goddess served up hot."

She spied a glance at his family who were just not buying it. Eros was completely stumped.

"But...I thought you lo—"

"You thought wrong," Selene said chuckling. "I mean I do care for you. We've known each other for a long time and we had our kicks, but we've only been together for 2 weeks. I really am grateful to you, but I don't think it was love. She's your true love right?"

He turned and ran a hand through Psyche's luminous hair. "Yes."

She felt like he had smacked her. Selene could no longer bare the sight of seeing them together. So she turned her back on the happy couple and clenched her fists.

Don't cry...

Don't cry...

Don't cry bitch!

"Thank you," Eros said warmly. "I can never repay you. You are a true friend. I will find you the most lasting love I can. I swear this. You will be blessed in your heart. I promise you."

"Don't make it a big deal," Selene said evenly. "Consider it a gift among old friends. An armistice okay? No shots at me for a while. I want to ride solo for a while."

Then she looked at the others. "So...can one of you take me home?"

Her voice had cracked on the last word but Eros was too busy to notice.

Aphrodite helped her in the chariot next to Hedone and collectively they flew off.

A little ways away Aphrodite turned to her. She refused to look her in the eye.

"I don't know why you did that," she said mournfully. "I just don't know why I let you."

"You let me because you care about your son," Selene said, her voice waffling between pitches as she tried to keep calm. "I-I can't be immortal. I can't let him love me or let him care for me the way she can. She looks before she leaps. She's wise. I just...leap."

The tears finally broke through but Selene would not be deterred from her speech. Hedone wiped at her own eyes.

"I'm just so human, and he's everything but. I don't want him to mourn me when in a flash I'm gone. I want him to be happy. That is all I have ever wanted for him."

"So you let him go?" Aphrodite said gently placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Yes," she sobbed.

"So you really do love him then? "

"With what's left of my heart? Heh, yeah."

Then she began to cry, really cry. Hedone held her and she dipped into the girl's shoulder and bawled like a baby.

"I...am... so... stupid!" she gasped in between cries.

"You are," Aphrodite said patting her. "But I respect you, and I really was rooting for you my dear."

"Dad made a major mistake," Hedone said stiffly.

"That he did my dear," Aphrodite huffed. "That he did."

When they arrived at Olympus Selene asked that her toga and sandals be kept at the mountain. She didn't want to be reminded of him. Instead she was given a new pair of shoes and she gave back all of her goodies. Aphrodite had a teleportation spell that she could use to send her to her apartment. It would make her fall asleep as soon as she got there, a nasty side effect, but it was useful. It sounded perfect to Selene.

"I'm ready," she said. Then she forced a smile. "It was really nice to meet all of you. I mean that."

They nodded sadly.

"You still have my blessing Selene," Aphrodite said. "I wish you all the best...goodbye my dear."

"Goodbye."

Then Selene closed her eyes. She caught a quick glimpse of her apartment, and then she was out like a light.

_______________________________________________

Chapter Four: Golden Opportunities

"Good morning dear goddess," Psyche said mechanically to Aphrodite.

Aphrodite simply ignored her. Eros frowned as his family continued to treat them strangely. Since Psyche had returned his mother hadn't acknowledged her once, and even cheerful Hedone seemed to be keeping her distance. That had been very distressing to him considering Psyche was her mother. She had gone off to earth and disappeared.

It had been a month since Selene and he had been together. He didn't really check to see what she was doing. To be honest he was afraid of what he might see. Seeing her miserable would upset him, and seeing her happy...to be honest it was best not to see her at all.

"Psyche and I are going to visit Poseidon's old kingdom," Eros said to him mother. She lay against an agitated Ares.

"That's nice," she said flatly.

He waited for more but that was all he had received. He sighed.

Part of him was hurt by the situation with Selene just as much as everyone else seemed to be, but he didn't allow himself to feel it. Selene had proclaimed in front of everyone that she didn't love him. Otherwise why would she bring Psyche to him? It wouldn't make sense.

"Psyche, go get some fruits from the garden," he said smiling at her.

The forever smiling Psyche nodded and he hugged her. She paused, hugged him back and then walked to the garden. He frowned. Psyche was very much changed. In fact, that hug just now had been quite awkward. He was hoping with time she would snap out of it. After all, time was what they had.