The Last Boy Scout Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Tx Tall Tales
Tx Tall Tales
20,426 Followers

"If you and John get the other picnic bench, I'll get the table." I was asking a lot. John and I both had a good 50 pounds on the kid. Didn't seem to matter, he was a trooper, holding up his end. I thought it a sad commentary that of six guys sitting around, only Max offered to help. Didn't surprise me, but it was disappointing.

I had a good memory for things like that. Max was earning himself a place on the good guys list.

Before we were done, the rain picked up again, light but consistent. I saw everyone scrambling toward the shelters, like they'd melt otherwise. A few of the girls were closing up the tents which were open to dry out when the occasional sunlight broke through. With John and Max in tow, we checked on all the tarps, tightening ropes that might have stretched from getting wet, and re-anchoring loose stakes. I retrieved some of my poly cord and we tied down the tarps at more points, distributing the stress, and keeping the material taut. If the wind really picked up, like last night, we'd be in trouble. All we could do was our best. We got wet, but it was warm out, and didn't feel bad. My rain gear might have been a miserable fashion piece, but it was keeping me dry on the inside. More than I could say for John.

He kept glancing over at Dominique. Eventually I couldn't take it. "I'm doing you a favor dragging you away. No girl wants a clingy guy." It didn't stop him from watching her. "Fine. Go. Go to her. We're done."

He grinned. "Good. Give a shout if you need anything. But not for at least an hour, Ok?"

I chuckled. "I'll leave you alone. And I'm still jealous, you homely whipped bastard."

"Right. I saw what came out of your tent. You're not fooling me."

Max was still standing beside me. "You still here? Isn't there some pretty little thing you should be chasing?"

He grinned. "Yeah. A couple. But hanging out with you guys even for just a few minutes helps my odds."

I laughed. "You little fucker. And I thought you were an altruist."

"I don't mind helping. If it pays off, that's just a nice little bonus. You really done?" he asked.

"Yeah, some personal stuff I need to take care of," I explained, seeing Teri standing nearby, watching us. "Who've you got your sights set on, anyway."

He nodded toward a skinny brunette girl sitting at one of the benches we'd brought over. "Wendy."

"Introduce me."

We walked over and he sat down next to her, on the edge of the bench. "Wendy, you know Alex, right?"

She had a nice smile, "Who doesn't?"

"Hey Wendy. Having fun? This is your first club trip isn't it?"

She nodded. "Not what I was expecting, but definitely an adventure." She had a sparkle in her eyes. Pretty little thing. I could see why Max was interested.

I nodded toward Max. "Take care of this guy for me, will you? The only one out here worth a damn in a crisis. Doesn't bitch and moan like John when we're fixing up this place and getting the tents straightened out." I started to turn away. "I'm only loaning him to you, understand? We'll need his help later if the rain picks up again."

She looked at me like I was crazy. "Me? Max?"

"You," I told her. "Keep the riff-raff off him. He deserves better." I turned back to Max. "Take it easy. Everything's cool now, but if the wind picks up, this place will get ugly. Let me know if you need any help taking care of the main shelter. Or get John to help you if I'm not around."

He nodded. "No problem. I've got it under control." He was grinning.

I didn't know if I'd helped or not, but if so, good. He deserved it, stepping up when nobody else did. Like I said, I remember things like that.

Teri was waiting patiently, standing nearby, watching me. I went to her, giving her a hug. "How are you feeling this morning."

She grinned. "Good, if a little frustrated."

"Tell me about it. Got a minute for me?"

"What do you think?"

I put my arm around her waist, walking over to my tent, ignoring the light drizzle.

"We can't go in there," she said softly.

"Not planning too. I thought we could talk here in private. I'd take you for a walk, but it looks like the rain's picking up."

We stood under the vestibule, while I opened the front of the tent wide, bringing out my poor blanket which had been abused the night before. I hung it up within the vestibule, then went back in to see what I had that we could sit on. My rain poncho seemed like the best option, with all my tarps in use. I took it off and laid it out on the soggy ground, and put the towels from the night before on top. I sat on them, drawing Teri down beside me.

She seemed unusually nervous, and kept her distance from me. Not acceptable. I pulled her close, my arm around her. "Any fallout from last night's sleeping arrangements?"

She shook her head. "None, thanks to Miss Shannon choosing to stay with us. Chaperoned, what could have happened? Especially with four girls," she said with a grin.

"Good. What are you feeling this morning," I asked.

"Confused. A little weirded out. That was crazy last night, wasn't it?"

I laughed, hugging her. "Insane. Everything cool between us?"

"I should be asking you that. I'm really sorry about the way I've been acting. I'm going to try to trust you more. I don't know why I haven't."

"It's my fault too," I told her. "I tease you way too much. Maybe I'm a little too private about my life, when it comes to my friends. I should have been clearer about my feelings all along. I never did actually come out and tell you how I feel about you, all these years, did I?"

She leaned into me, her head on my shoulder. "Were you really interested? Not just kidding?"

"Very. Seventh and eighth grade I had it bad for you. You were my personal fantasy. Didn't know how to say it. By 10th, I guess I'd kind of given up. Settled for friendship. I'm not complaining, you've been a great friend."

She chuckled. "We're so stupid. I always harbored hopes you'd stop the teasing and make me your girlfriend. I was tempted so many times to call you on the teasing. But I was scared, at the same time. Of course, you always had those other girls. Older girls."

"Where do we stand now?" I asked.

"You're asking me? How would I know? I'm still coming to grips with the fact you haven't slept with half our class. Of course, going from three conquests to six overnight doesn't help things. Have you decided?"

"Girlfriend? Not completely."

"Heather changes things?"

"No. Not really. I wish I could, but I can't get completely over the way she treated me for the last year. Forgiven but not forgotten. Although her apology was very nice."

"We figured that, but she was hoping. Lisa?"

"Yeah. She broke up with Darrel last week. Did you know?"

"No. But it explains a lot. I thought it was odd how she was behaving with a boyfriend at home. So Lisa or Julie, huh? Tough decision."

"Or you."

"Me? You're kidding, right?"

I reached for her legs and pulled her into my lap, holding her. "I'm not kidding at all. I've liked you on and off since seventh grade. Still do." I slid my hand inside her shirt, caressing her soft skin.

She seemed surprised. "Wow. I wasn't expecting that. You'd choose me over Lisa or Julie? Or Heather? What's the chance of that?"

"Best friends for 6 years counts for a lot. And I've always had a thing for smart girls."

She leaned into me, head on my shoulder, while I held her. "I don't know if I'm ready for someone like you, Alex. It's a huge step from where I am."

"How's that? You've known me forever. We get along great, most of the time."

"As friends. We're not talking about that now. I've never even kissed a guy before yesterday. When it comes to boys, I'm taking baby steps. You're running marathons."

"What do you want?" I asked, tilting her head up and kissing her softly.

She closed her eyes and sighed. "I don't know. I love you, Alex. I do. You've been so good for me. But I'm not sure I love you. Last night was just too intense. I get so carried away with you, I almost broke my promise to myself. That's what you do to me."

"You don't want to be in a relationship, then?" I asked, curious.

"I do. I'm just not sure it should be with you. Not my first. I think I'd rather be with someone my speed. Starting out. Learning with each other. I'd always feel inadequate around you."

"I'd tell you you're being silly, but it's your call. I'll tell you this much. Being able to sit down and talk like this with you, so openly, it's incredible. We can still be friends, right?"

She smiled. "Best friends. Special friends."

"But sex is out of the equation. And I guess that means no more blow-jobs."

"Alex!" she hissed, looking around.

"It was pretty spectacular."

"You're not even supposed to know it was me," she whispered, blushing hard.

"Incredible," I told her.

She leaned against me. "No sex. As for other things, we'll see. A lot's going to depend on your girlfriend. I'm not going to make a cheater out of you."

"We're cool though? You're not angry with me are you?"

She shook her head. "The opposite. I'm proud of you, for all you did around here, and for the way you're handling this. All of it. Heather, me, everything. I've been mean to you for a long time, and you'd still choose me. It's hard to fathom."

"We can be good for each other. You want a starter boyfriend? I can hook you up. Guaranteed."

She shook her head. "I'll take my chances on my own. Hell, I'm sure my stock is going up this very moment." She grinned, wrapping her arms around my neck and giving me a big kiss. "Look at me. I'm Alex worthy."

"Silly girl. You're so much more." We looked out over the scene in front of us. When we came on this trip, there was only one couple in the entire group. Now it looked like everyone was pairing up.

I got an idea. "Can you do me a favor?"

She looked at me suspiciously. "It doesn't involve getting me in private, or anything below the waist, does it?"

"Where's the trust, Bestie? You've set our boundaries, and I'll abide by them. Friends. As a friend, you could help out another one."

"How's that?"

"Out of all the guys on this trip, only Max over there has been of any help. He's trying to get in good with that girl beside him."

"Wendy?"

"Yeah, you know her?"

"Sure. Cheerleader. A little stuck up."

Cheerleader? I should know things like that. "Go show Max a little attention. Let him know you appreciate how much he helped last night. He worked with us getting all the collapsed tents out of the water, and re-erected on high ground."

"Are you asking me to flirt with him? I can't do that. I don't think I would even know how."

I laughed. "You're a master, and you don't even know it. Just sit by him for a bit. Thank him for his help. A little hug and kiss on the cheek would be nice. See if you can't make Wendy re-evaluate him and get her jealous."

"You're asking a lot," she sighed.

"You need the practice anyway. Give it a try. For me?"

She pulled my face down and gave me another long, sweet kiss. "For you. But you'll owe me."

She climbed out of my lap, straightened herself up, and jogged across the open ground to the cover of the shelter. I watched her go over to Max, leaning over and talking to him. She definitely had the attention of everyone in the area. They talked a bit, then she leaned down and hugged him, giving him a kiss on the lips before walking away.

Poor Max. He didn't know it was a setup. I saw him turn, watching her leave. He couldn't take his eyes from her. He started to get up, and Wendy grabbed his arm, speaking animatedly. He tore his eyes away from Teri, and put his arm around the cutie beside him. She smiled.

Another good deed. Shannon was right. I felt immensely pleased about it. My fix.

================

Lisa and Teri are (mostly) taken care of. Time to work things out with the younger sister and Heather. Thanks for taking the time to read this little tale.

Tx Tall Tales
Tx Tall Tales
20,426 Followers