All Comments on 'The Pretender Ch. 09'

by JaycobMatthews

Sort by:
  • 12 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
What a relief!

When I saw the description as "complications" I was worried that Michael and Daniel were going to get into a fight, but I'm actually happy that Daniel came out to his parents and hopefully he can work at a place where he is accepted for being him.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Great Story

I loved it, can't wait to see what happens next. I've heard the words Pray the gay away" when my son grandmother decided to announce in front of the whole church that he was gay. I was pissed. He's never been back to church since. So I can understand Daniel's situation.

LaVieErotiqueLaVieErotiqueover 11 years ago
Aha

There's something I really find touching about your writing. An honesty and tenderness to it. Do continue, because I am intrigued and want to read more. Thank you for sharing your stories.

kuroukiphoenyxkuroukiphoenyxover 11 years ago
um......

*raising my hand

Can't the clinic or I wonder WILL the clinic get in trouble for this?

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago

Definite thumbs up for Daniel for following his heart. But man that sucks- losing his job and coming out to his phobic parents on the same day. Go get your man!

jeansguyjeansguyover 11 years ago
But???

I enjoyed this chapter almost as much as the others but you're left open issues and questions. The clinic's handbook is obriously illegal and could be challenged but will Daniel do so? The bigger question...even though Daniel woke Michael up in the middle of the night, Michael seems very reserved and not all that thrilled the Daniel is in his bed. Where is Wesley? I am very concerned when your story outline is headed. I hope I am wrong.

cliffgirl08cliffgirl08over 11 years ago

The clinic violated all sorts of federal laws by firing Daniel, and it can't be explained away because they aren't a religious organization. As for Michael's reaction, I'm going to assume he's in shock due to being awakened and Daniel's news.

avidreadravidreadrover 11 years ago

I don't think Daniel wants to work in a place that's so homophobic, but I think he should consult an attorney and at least sue them. There wasn't even an incident report, just a warning. Totally illegal.

ikhneumonikhneumonover 11 years ago
The legal case

Actually, and outrageously, cliffgirl08, since the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) has never passed Congress, the clinic's motivation in firing Daniel would not have broken federal law. Existing federal non-discrimination policies only apply to federal employees. In fact, in 19 states, it is still entirely legal to fire someone for being gay! In an additional ten states, non-discrimination policies only apply to the public sector; private employers are exempt. However, employment discrimination on the basis of orientation has been illegal in Wisconsin since 1982, so Daniel would probably have a legal case against the clinic if he chose to pursue it. The question is, would it be worth it, since they'd probably just counter with a public indecency charge for making out with Michael in the park, making the issue out to be his "inappropriate" behavior rather than his orientation.

(Source: Wikipedia, "LGBT employment discrimination in the United States")

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
why?

Case or no case, would you want to work at a place where everyone hated you?

cliffgirl08cliffgirl08over 11 years ago

Thanks for explaining this to me, ikhneumon. It is so wrong.

avidreadravidreadrover 11 years ago

Add my thanks, as well. I will never understand why people are so concerned with who someone else sleeps (or doesn't sleep!) with.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous