The Prisoner of Glenda

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Salamis
Salamis
530 Followers

As I pulled in besides Brad's car, I saw him standing on the landing. His hands were empty and he was dressed as if were making a sales call. We greeted one another as we always had and then waited for Glenda. She was her usual self (but I could see the nervousness in her movements).

I do not recall the reason Bradley gave for his visit. Glenda and I had prepared our own story in advance. I was there to fix their computer after a potential virus attack. We played that storyline to the hilt. In the end, I think Brad bought it. He stayed only half an hour and then left. Glenda was near hysterics when we were alone.

My previous paranoia returned after that incident. I would never be so careless again. I resumed training in hand to hand fighting with Rueben. I bought a gun and joined a firing range. My proficiency with weapons made a dramatic improvement.

That was the only time I encountered Bradley at Glenda's and we were alone. We met at the poker games, birthday parties, holiday bashes and impromptu get-togethers. I tried to be my usual self around Bradley but it was hard. On more than one occasion, he commented as to how quiet I had become. In fact, I listened to him more intently. I was listening for clues, for slips of the tongue that might give us some advantage.

Sometimes I read too much into what Bradley was saying. When that happened, I would stakeout his Condo and follow him for a day or two. Those trips were pointless. Nothing significant was ever uncovered, but I remained optimistic. Mainly those excursions were a way of releasing the tension. I was being proactive.

When Bradley was not around, I would subtly interrogate our other friends about their conversations. The word got out that I was jealous of Bradley and his success. That rumor was helpful in maintaining my cover. I was sure he never suspected my true motive.

With so much emphasis on the potential for violence, my countenance and demeanor began to change over time. I was more withdrawn, less sociable. I had begun to wait. There would be some event in the future where I would be required to act. Until then I prepared...and waited.

This secret, this pact between Glenda and me lasted almost 3 years after her rape! My promise to her held. I kept her secret. Because we had spent so much time together in the intervening months Glenda's hold on me had grown. I was less likely today to betray her trust to Michael than at the onset of our agreement. We were in a conspiracy. We had painted ourselves into a corner. We were both waiting for a break from the outside to force our action. That break came from a very unlikely place.

Chapter 4: Places in the heart

I was entertaining my nephew Aaron for the weekend to allow my sister and brother-in-law a long delayed mini-vacation. It was Rueben's idea to have me look after Aaron. He thought I needed some downtime. I was too wound up with that 'Glenda situation' as he referred to it.

Having to care for a 6-year old would likely give me some perspective while forcing me to soften my deportment. Aaron and I were having a grand time with one of his favorite books when he said he was hungry.

What had I been thinking? None of the food in my refrigerator or on the shelves was suitable for a 6-year old. Even my cereal was boring. Therefore, child in one hand and shopping cart in the other, we left for a trip to the supermarket. Instead of taking the car, I decided that a good half-mile walk would be good for us. Well, my thinking was not that altruistic. My goal was to exhaust Aaron in advance of his afternoon nap.

I quickly realized that 6 year olds do not like merely walking, and that they are very easily distracted. By the time we reached the store, I had learned my lesson. Just concentrating on Aaron's every move had mentally exhausted me.

Feeling a sense of relief, I let him lead us through the aisles. Aaron made most of the selections for his meals. I intervened only when it became apparent that chocolate was his favorite of all favorite foods.

Satisfied that suitable nourishment was now in place we made our way to the checkout counter. Aaron had been very adventurous outside but here he casually placed his small hand in mine as we stood in line. I took note of this as a feeling of protectiveness swept over me. A small smile emerged on my face.

I was staring towards the front of the line. Not really looking at anything in particular, just taking in the scenery, when I noticed the cashier. I knew her from somewhere. However, I could not quite place the face or the place. She was not from my old neighborhood so it had to have been somewhere else. Seeking to avoid possible embarrassment, I struggled to recall her name as the line inched forward. Then it hit me. It was Gail.

Her hair was drawn back in a severe ponytail. Her face was a little fuller than I recalled and there were worry lines in her forehead. Her expression was one of serious business. She was still very pretty and that could not be hidden.

She was wearing a company smock but you could still make out those dangerous curves. Gail was not a big woman but she bordered on voluptuous and I was memorizing every contour of her body as I waited my turn.

A fantasy was beginning to form in my head when another voice broke in: "she doesn't like you" it said. We had not been close. We had been polite. Seven years apart had faded certain memories. I tended to recall the bad times and not the good. With that reality in place, I wanted to just get this over with.

It was too late to leave the line without being obvious. There were several customers behind me. Why did I care what this woman thought of me? I had not seen her in years. We were barely friends. She probably would not recognize me anyway. I would just pretend we are strangers.

When it became our turn, Gail mechanically scanned each item. Her gaze went from scanner to register to counter with machine precision. Aaron interrupted her routine. He reached for the package of cookies as they were placed near the packing bags. Gail's gaze followed his arm. She broke into a big smile as they surveyed one another.

"Aaron!" I said, trying to sound stern. She turned her head towards me. I saw the flicker of recognition and braced myself for an icy reception, but was instead greeted with the same dimpled smile I thought was reserved for Aaron.

"Andrew. How are you? It's been a long time."

"Yes it has", I said surprising myself. My tone was matter of fact, no sense in pretending I did not know her or was having trouble remembering her name.

"How old?" she injected as she raised her eyebrows at Aaron.

"Six."

"Yours?"

"No, he's my nephew.'

"Aaron, say hello to Mrs.?"

"Miss Montoya."

"Hello Miss Montoya" Aaron said, extending his hand.

"It's nice to meet you Aaron", she said as she shook his hand. "I have little girl your age. She likes Oreos too."

Gail quickly resumed bagging our groceries. "Are you still in touch with Glenda? Are she and Michael still together?"

"Yes to both questions, I was with them last week. They live in Swarthmore now."

"Oh, well tell them I said 'Hi' and it was good seeing you again".

"It was good seeing you too", I concluded as she passed my change. I collected our packages into the cart and we were on our way. I wanted to turn around a see her once more but I decided not to. Instead, I looked at her in a reflection from the front windows; she was watching me as we left - and smiling.

What an unexpected surprise. The exchange had been short but pleasant. I felt encouraged to see her again.

Later that evening after my nephew had gone to bed, I called Glenda. She answered on the first ring.

"Hello", she said sounding somewhat winded.

"Hi Glenda, its Andrew. Are you OK? You sound out of breadth."

"I just finished giving Renee her bath and she didn't want to leave the tub. Michael is with her now. Andrew how are you? Do you want to speak with Michael? He's supposed to be putting Renee to bed but I can get him for you." Her tone was now more relaxed and conveyed genuine warmth towards me.

"No that's OK; I actually called to speak with you."

"Oh?"

"Do you remember Gail Montoya?

"Gail, of course! I have not heard that name in years. Now that I think of it, it has been seven years since we last spoke. What about her?"

"Well I ran into her today. She's a cashier at a market near my place." I said.

"Really! How was she? Did she recognize you?" I could hear the excitement in her voice.

"She looked about the same from what I could tell. Her voice was the same too. I was surprised that she remembered me, but she did. I was with Aaron and it was crowded so we really could not talk long. But I could have sworn that she seemed glad to see me. By the way, what ever happened to her? Why did she leave?"

"I don't know", said Glenda. "She was my best friend, then towards the end of junior year she left school, no goodbye, no phone calls, no letters, nothing. I called her parents to talk to her to find out what happened but they did not know where she was. She called them to say she was moving and would be in touch later. They were pumping me for answers. I got the feeling they thought I had something to do with her leaving. It was the strangest thing...like she wanted to get lost so she severed all ties."

"I really had not thought about her in years, the last time was when Renee was born. I really missed her then. I thought we were close....like sisters", her voice trailed off. "Andrew, did you get a phone number or an address from her?"

"No... but I didn't ask either. You know in the past she and I weren't that tight. She was much closer to Brad."

"Brad?" Glenda spoke up. "No way! She did not like Brad. She thought he was cock hound, always trying to get in her pants. He monopolized her time. They talked a lot but she definitely wasn't interested... not in him anyway."

Glenda seemed to leave a thought hanging when she said this. I was about to follow up when she broke in again.

"Andrew what's the name of that market and where's it located?"

"It's the Thriftway on 43rd and Walnut streets. Why?"

"I want to contact her so I'll call the store. I wonder if she's married."

"I don't think so; she's using her maiden name. However, that does not mean anything. I do know she has a daughter."

"OK, I'll ask for her under her maiden name then. You said she had a daughter. How old?"

"Six."

"Wow, I've got to call her now."

I heard some discussion in the background. It sounded like Michael calling for Glenda. I could hear Renee too. Poor Michael, he was in the worst possible predicament. Both women in his household owned him... and he knew it.

"Andrew I've got to go. Thanks for telling me about Gail. Diner this Sunday, do not forget. I'll tell Michael you called, bye."

That Sunday with Michael and Glenda was another typical diner. The food was good and the conversation lighthearted. His mother and stepfather along with Glenda's mom joined us. The grandparents always used this time to enjoy Renee's latest antics; while Michael and I left the table quickly to enjoy the football game in the family room. He sought the comfort of his recliner and leaned back.

By halftime, the Eagles were in a comfortable lead over the Cowboys. All was right with the world so Michael decided that now was the time to inquire about Gail.

"So, are you going to see Gail again?"

"Again? I only saw her last week. We are not dating or anything. Hell, I do not know if she is involved with someone. I'd be surprised if she's not."

"She's not." he said casually. He was being smug and it was obvious.

"Glenda?"

"Who else?"

"I guess I'm supposed to see her again then?"

"Yep. I do not know what you did my friend, but Glenda has adopted you. She's spoken with Gail already and it's clear to me that an arranged marriage is in the making." Michael barely got these last words out as he was laughing so hard.

I damn near choked on my beer. I had not seen this woman in seven years. So much had happened. To presume we were even compatible would be wild speculation. Yet Glenda had us as a pair. Incredible! I started to laugh.

"Well is Glenda going to share the details with me?"

Michael saw the humor in this too. But he was enjoying my discomfort. "Nah", he said. "You will have to discover the details on your own.", then turning serious he shifted his seat upright. "Glenda says that Gail has a daughter. Are you OK with that?"

"I think so."

"From what I've been told she's been on her own for the past seven years. As a single parent, the rules are different. I hope you're not out for a quick piece."

I studied his face and it betrayed a pain that sobered me. Michael's mom had been a single parent after his father died. She had met his stepfather when he was fourteen. Therefore, for three years he was the man of the house.

He was his mother's unofficial screener. If he met a guy she was dating that he did not like then he made sure that guy was history; only the serious need apply. Now he was talking about Gail in the same context.

"No, I'm not. Damn, I just met the woman. She might not want to date me."

"That won't be a problem", he said as if it were fact, then resumed reclining in his seat.

We changed the subject and started discussing of the game. I understood the message. What I did not understand were my feelings about Gail. I had best be certain before I called her.

Almost a month after our encounter in the supermarket I showed up again at Gail's store. I bought a few items then entered her line. The woman in front of me informed me that the express lane was open, she was being helpful. I thanked her but continued to wait.

The line moved quickly and soon I was facing her again. When she saw me, she lit up into a big smile. I interpreted this as a clear signal to proceed.

"You know you could have taken this to the express line?" she commented with a smirk on her face

"I was told that, but I like the company here so much better. In fact, this is the only line I'll ever use in this store."

"Andrew why are you here?" she said suddenly turning serious.

"To see you again and get your phone number."

"Glenda said you'd be back." she said softly.

"Oh...she did? What else did she say?"

"That I should get to know you."

"Hmmm....your number?

She picked up a pen and wrote her phone number on my receipt. Then she passed it to me. "I'm home every night after 7" she said, letting her hand linger on mine a couple seconds longer than required.

I called Gail later that night. We had a pleasant conversation, not too personal, just feeling our way around the edges. We discussed her job, her favorite foods, her favorite movies and of course, the upcoming baseball season and the Phillies.

She confided that she did not go out much. Her center of attention was her daughter; and when she could afford it, it was school, and work. There was no man in her life and there had not been for a few years. I wondered why she was telling me this. I had not asked her. On my part, there was enough curiosity and tension during the call to merit a second.

After our third call, I was anxious to learn why she wanted to spend time with me. At any time now, I thought she would lower the boom and we would stop talking. That did not happen. When I delayed for a few days in calling her, she called me.

We had spoken at least a dozen times by the end of two weeks. I had visited the store a few times but I had not been to her home or met her daughter. However, we found that we shared much in common. We liked the same foods, the same movies, had similar taste in music. More importantly, our values and beliefs about home and family were almost identical. We were passionate about all of the same subjects.

These conversations with Gail triggered my memory of our times together. Old feelings resurfaced. I was sad that I had not gotten closer to her when we lived together. I was also struggling with how to address her child. I debated with myself if I was I serious enough. I began to question my feelings for her. In the end, I realized that I was in love with her and had been since before she left.

However, what time we had together was still very short. Was it love? Could it be so soon after reestablishing contact? Was I merely infatuated? Whether that infatuation was justified was another matter. I needed more time with her to make that determination. Until then, I needed to set lower expectations on our developing relationship.

While I was thinking about Gail I received notice from Glenda about Michael. I grabbed by bag in preparation for the sleepover at their house. He would be out of town for the next few days. Gail would have to wait.

I drove over to Glenda's at 7pm. Following the established routine, I parked down the road a few hundred yards away. The shuttle service was right on time. As the car left his driveway, I called Glenda. She was probably alone with Renee but one had to be sure. On a few prior occasions when Michael had left her mother had stopped over or some other friends. It took only one embarrassing encounter to cure me of the habit of just showing up. Best to check that she was alone.

We were keeping a secret from her husband; In effect cheating him of his right to that intimacy with her. I was uncomfortable with that, and I hoped Glenda was too. Unfortunately, we were in a rut she and I. We had lied so long that the lie had a life of its own. It had to be maintained. As Renee got older, it would become harder to keep this charade. Michael had to be told.

I dialed Glenda from my mobile phone.

"Hello?"

"I'm 30 seconds away."

"See you then." She said and promptly hung up.

In a minute I was parked in their driveway and removing my overnight bag. In another minute, I was being settled in the downstairs guestroom on the other side of the house. Glenda was upstairs with Renee. It was bath time and I had my own duties to perform. As I had done countless times before, I began my check of all doors and windows on the first floor. Then I checked all the outside cameras and floodlights.

The house check completed I called the airport and reviewed Michael's flight schedule. Glenda would be calling him in another hour or so, I needed to ensure that there had not been a cancellation. When that inquiry was satisfied, I made myself comfortable in the den.

At about 9pm Glenda appeared downstairs. She was carrying a portable phone. I did not know whom she was talking to but she inexplicably handed me the phone. I tried to read her face as to who this might be. No one knew of our activities, or so I thought. Evidently, I was wrong.

"Hello", I said, almost masking my voice.

"Andrew?" It was Gail. Therefore, Glenda had been speaking with Gail on the phone and she obviously alerted her that I was on the scene. Why would she do that? Unless? No, not possible. I had not given Gail any indication of what Glenda and I were up to. It was best that I listen to what she had to say.

"Yes Gail, it's me. Is everything OK?"

"Yes, I'm fine. I just wanted to let you know that Lindsey and I are on our way there. Glenda explained everything to me. You and I need to talk."

"Can't it wait? It is after 9pm. Lindsey must be asleep by now. You do not need to bring her out this late. We can talk tomorrow. What's so important?"

"I'll tell you when I get there." Then she hung up.

I was somewhat confused. I looked over at Glenda trying to get some understanding and she was just sitting, staring at me. I knew something was wrong because she was crying.

In the years since her rape, I had not seen Glenda cry except for that first night. Now I was scared. That fear lasted only a minute as I reached for my overnight bag. In it, I kept my gun.

Salamis
Salamis
530 Followers