TMA: Agent Moon Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
slyc_willie
slyc_willie
1,349 Followers

He was not disappointed. "Care to tell me why you didn't contact us last night, agent?"

Dylan sighed in response to the Director's acidic tone. "It was a rough night," he growled. "But I'm still on schedule, and I'm tracking Craig."

Naveen paused on the other end. "I know that Agent Bellew's loss can not have been easy to take, Moon," she said. "But you, more than anyone under my command, have to understand that tragedies like this happen, and—"

"Yes. I know," he interrupted. He ran his hand through his hair, suddenly hating the greasy feel it left along his fingers. "I should have called last night. I should have given you an update, assured you that I was still on the clock. But I like to think that you would know I have too much integrity to let Cori's loss affect my ability to see this mission through."

"I would really like to believe that, agent," she responded.

Dylan bristled a moment, thinking how much more life experience he had over the thirtysomething director he served. But he forced down his pride and ego. Col. Naveen ran an incredibly complex and sensitive operation, one that was potentially more vital than any other agency in the world. He could not fault her cautionary skepticism.

"I made you – I made the TMA – a promise," Dylan said. "An oath that I take as seriously as the one I gave my department and the FBI. I don't back down, Colonel. And I've never failed. I'm not about to now."

There came a faint sigh from the other end, barely filtered through digital technology and over seven decades of time difference. "That's good to hear, agent. So. You say you have a line on Craig? You're keeping an eye on him?"

Dylan nodded. "I am. But . . . there's a problem."

"What kind of problem?"

"Does the name Foster Reece mean anything to you?"

He heard the Director curse under her breath. "We know of him. He's killed two of our agents. He's very slippery."

"He told me our meeting was not the first one we've had. I . . . I got the impression that, well, there's something personal between us."

Naveen was silent on the other end for a moment. "The only advantage the Rectifiers have is that they know what they are doing before we do," she said. "We can only be reactive; they can be proactive, in some respects."

"Reece made it clear that he and I have met before, at least, in his memory. I guess I should find comfort in that. After all, if he kills me now, he changes the timestream. Who knows what would happen then."

"But neither can you kill him," Naveen said. "You don't know if this is the last time you'll meet."

"I know that. But I'd say my odds are better than his."

"Dylan." The Director's voice was firm, her tone compounded by her use of his first name. "Don't be flippant about taking chances. You took one already when you gunned down those men in the parking garage. You had no way of knowing that they were Walkers. Don't take that risk again."

Dylan huffed. "You're right," he said. "My job is to keep Michael Craig away from the pine box, not to put someone else in it."

"Exactly. You're a bodyguard, Moon. Not a soldier. Not this time, at any rate. Protect your principal, that's your directive."

Dylan managed a smile. "Good thing I have help, then."

"What do you mean?"

"Just a girl here, who works at the hotel," he said dismissively. "She thinks I'm with the Bureau of Investigation. I'm not putting her in any danger."

The Director was quiet again. Dylan could faintly hear conversation in the background, but not enough to distinguish any voices. Naveen returned: "That may not be a bad idea," she said. "Agents have often made good use of locals. So long as you don't, eh, involve her too much, you should be fine. But keep her close. Control what she knows."

Dylan frowned slightly. He could not shake the instant and inexorable feeling that there was something the Director was not telling him. But he decided not to press it; doing so would produce nothing, he knew. "I can keep things tight," he said.

"Good. This mission is in your hands, agent. There's no backup, no second chances, and nothing but the worst of consequences if you fail. You have to succeed."

Dylan ground his teeth. "I will. I promise."

"I have faith in you, Agent Moon."

Dylan smiled. "I'll give you an update tomorrow."

***

To be continued . . . .

slyc_willie
slyc_willie
1,349 Followers