Voices in the Darkness

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mr. O'Connor cleared his throat and then said: "I need to obtain some more information on Ms. West to complete those documents. I can also have them ready Monday but I will need one of my associates to call Ms. West in a few minutes and get those details. Will she be available?"

"Just have them call me on my cell. Liz will be with me today. We have some shopping to do in order to be ready for the press conference."

All of the pieces were in place for Liz and me to jump head first into life's fast lane. I hoped that our newly found fame would not create any new problems for us. After all, we were already so close to having everything we ever wanted.

*

Chapter 24

It was the morning of my "coming out" day. I was going to tell the world that I was a lesbian and that I loved Elizabeth. I also intended to reveal our desire to enter into a same sex marriage despite the legal obstacles which prevented such unions. It was going to be a day to remember.

Liz and I had spent the previous afternoon at South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa. It has the most fabulous stores. When I was younger, I went there with my teenage friends and we dreamed about being glamorous while we looked at all of the wonderful clothing that was for sale. Back then, none of us could afford to pay retail prices for designer clothes, but now that I was becoming rich anything seemed possible. I simply loved the clothes I saw that afternoon at Donna Karan's store, so Liz and I decided to try on some of her dresses. It was nice to spend the day with my soul mate shopping for beautiful clothes. We both enjoyed the experience and we each bought a stylish dress.

I picked out a crème colored dress that fit my body perfectly. The second I tried it on I knew I wanted it. Liz must have tried on at least ten dresses before she settled on a sexy little black number. It had a plunging front which meant she we have to go braless. She was braver than me, because I didn't think I could stand in front of the reporters and photographers with my boobs barely covered. But Liz was going to make the most of her chance to be in the spotlight. I couldn't blame her for wanting to live it up. She had gone unnoticed during the initial period when the press became interested in me. Liz was always there, but behind the scenes. Now she could step out and bask in the recognition that she deserved.

We took our time Monday morning and made sure that our hair and makeup was just right. It was unusual and kind of fun for me to get all dolled up in the morning. Liz was really excited and she looked incredibly sexy in her daring black dress. As usual, it took me longer to get ready than Liz. After I finally finished dressing she checked me out to make sure I looked perfect. My fiancée had me perform a turn like the fashion models do while they are on the runway. She clapped her hands and said I looked like a Vogue cover model. We were ready for our public announcement. The news conference was scheduled for 11 o'clock but we had agreed to arrive at ten. There were a number of documents to sign and things to discuss before we went on stage.

Mr. O'Connor was so sweet when he saw us. He said we looked perfect for the occasion. He couldn't take his eyes off of Liz's cleavage and plunging neckline on her dress. I'm sure he wanted to see one of her boobs suddenly fall out, but Liz had strategically placed double sided adhesive tape under the fabric to make sure that didn't happen.

I wanted to know more about the news conference and asked my attorney about it: "Do you know how many reporters are going to be here today?"

"We have received confirmations from 16 different news organizations. Some of them will have cameramen and sound technicians as well as their reporters. We think there will be around 40 media people present."

I was relieved to hear that there weren't going to be hundreds of people there. I was still nervous about "coming out".

"Christine, did you read this morning's L. A. Times?"

"No Mr. O'Connor, was there an article in it about the settlement?"

"I hate to be the one to give you bad news, but the paper had a story on one of the witnesses that we intended to call in your trial. Nancy Cameron, the lab technician at Southland Hospital was found dead from a drug overdose Saturday evening in South Los Angeles. Apparently she was addicted to cocaine."

"Oh, that is terrible."

"I had deposed her about the tests which she performed on your blood samples. That deposition took place about six months ago and she seemed perfectly normal then. Did you ever meet her Christine?"

His simple question required me to once again lie to my attorney: "No, I didn't know her. But I'm very sorry to hear what happened. This won't affect my case will it Mr. O'Connor?"

"Your case is settled Christine. All we need is your signature on the document. And I do have some good news this morning. I hope it will more than offset the news I told you about Ms. Cameron."

"I'm definitely ready for some good news."

"The insurance company that represents Dr. Lyons offered 2.6 million dollars to settle your suit against him if we don't go to trial."

"Is that a fair settlement Mr. O'Connor?"

"Yes Christine, we think it's exactly what it should be. And they are willing to pay in thirty days if we accept it now."

I looked to Liz and asked: "What do you think darling? Should I accept that or take him to court?"

Liz walked over to me and gave me a hug and said: "Let's get all of this behind us lover. Take the money and be done with it."

I looked back toward my attorney and said: "Okay, I will accept the settlement."

Mr. O'Connor looked very pleased. His law firm would get to keep nearly a million dollars from that payout. My settlements were making a fortune for my lawyers. I proceeded to sign the settlement documents from the hospital and Dr. Lyons. My signatures on those two agreements guaranteed that I would soon be a very wealthy woman.

Mr. O'Connor then had Liz sit with us and he explained the terms contained in the contract that formed our civil union. We were happy that he was able to have it ready for us and we both signed the document.

He watched us sign and then said: "It's not quite a marital agreement but in the eyes of the law you are joined. I think a kiss is called for."

Liz and I were both wearing makeup and I for one didn't want to have to fix my face again, so I leaned over and gave my life partner just a little kiss on her lips and I said: "I love you Liz."

"I love you too Chris. I'm so happy."

Mr. O'Connor surprised us by having a silver tray with a bottle of champagne and three crystal flutes brought into the room right at that moment. "A toast to the happy couple; may all your days be filled with love and joy."

We enjoyed the champagne for a few minutes before getting back to work. Liz and I then had an opportunity to speak with Mr. David Wetzel. He worked for the talent agency that was going to represent us. Mr. Wetzel was a very handsome middle aged man and he explained how his agency would market us. After he concluded his presentation Mr. O'Connor handed us the agency's management agreements. It gave the agency twenty percent but that would still leave us with plenty based on what we had been told would be available. Liz and I signed the agreements and Mr. Wetzel shook our hands and welcomed us into their talent pool.

Finally, I met alone with Mr. O'Connor and signed my living will. I was still nervous about the slim possibility of going back into coma. I knew that I didn't want to live like that for years and years if that was my karma.

Mr. O'Connor briefed me on the press conference format. He told me that he would speak first and describe the settlement. He said he would tell the reporters which topics couldn't be answered due to the confidentiality provisions. Finally, he asked me if I wanted to make a brief statement before he allowed any questions. I had been thinking about what I might say ever since I agreed to talk to the press and I did have some brief remarks that I wanted to say before the questions started.

The conference room was crowded with reporters and cameramen as we made our appearance. Mr. O'Connor stood at the podium and Liz and I stood slightly behind and to his right.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the press, it has been my honor to represent Christine Velarde for nearly the past two years in her quest for accountability and justice from those who caused her bodily harm. It is my pleasure this morning to announce that her litigation against Southland Memorial Hospital has been dropped and that Christine has accepted a settlement which was offered by the hospital. In addition, the law suit against Dr. Stewart Lyons has also been settled. The terms of these settlements are confidential and we will not answer any questions today or in the future regarding the settlements. We are here today to answer your questions on how the settlements will allow Ms. Velarde to get on with her life after the terrible trauma she suffered. Christine is accompanied today by Elizabeth West who helped her both during and after her lengthy coma."

"Christine, do you care to say a few words before we open the conference to questions?"

I moved to the podium and looked out at all of the faces in the crowded room. I was nervous but knew what I wanted to say: "First, I would like to thank Mr. O'Conner and his associates for representing me so well during this difficult time in my life. I'm very relieved that the trial is over and that I can concentrate on my future rather than the past. I will probably never be able to forget the horrors of being trapped in a lifeless body but with the help of my friends my health has improved."

I briefly glanced back at Liz and then continued: "There was one person in particular who looked after me and helped me when all others walked away. That person is standing here today. Liz took me under her wing while I was a patient at Irvine Care Center. She not only nursed me while I was there, but also at her home. I had previously been living with a man who subsequently abandoned me during my coma, and as a result of his betrayal I had no place to live when I was discharged. Liz took me into her house and never accepted a penny in return for her kindness. I don't know what I would have done without her. I'm here to announce today, that Liz and I are in love and that we intend to enter into a same sex marriage. All we need is a marriage license and a judge to perform the ceremony and then we will tie the knot."

As soon as I completed my statement the reports all stood and started shouting out questions. It was very confusing so I pointed to a female reporter on the front row. Her question shocked me: "Christine, is this your first lesbian experience?"

I looked back to Liz and motioned for her to come and stand beside me. I needed her to be with me when I answered these questions. Liz stood next to me and I held her hand as I responded to the reporter's question: "Yes, this is my first lesbian relationship and I intend to live the rest of my life with this wonderful woman."

Another reporter stood and asked: "Ms. West, may we call you Liz?"

Liz smiled and said: "Yes"

"Liz, why did you decide to have Christine move in with you after she was discharged from your nursing facility? That seems very unusual for a nurse to do that for a patient."

I shifted over to the side so Liz could speak into the microphone located on the podium. She looked at the reporter and answered his question: "Well you're right that having a patient stay in your home during her convalescence is unusual. I had never done anything like that before. But as Christine started to recover, she was able to tell me that the man she was living with had moved her possessions out of his house and into storage. In my mind that seemed terribly wrong and callous. It was actually difficult for me to believe that anyone would give up on her after just a few months. In addition, I learned that Christine's parents were both deceased. I also lost my parents and I could relate to how she felt. So we had a lot in common and I offered to help. It was just one person helping another."

"Christine, what do you plan on doing with the money you will receive?"

"Liz and I both would like to be able to help people who are suffering from the type of problems that I experienced as I recovered from my coma. Many people don't realize that coma patients face a very difficult recovery process which includes mental health issues. We want to get the word out about the need for the professional help for these people. I was lucky and had Liz to help me with my recovery. So in the short run we have agreed to do some public appearances to increase awareness."

"Have the doctors given you a clean bill of health Christine?"

"I'm in excellent health at the moment. I still have a few hallucinations which take place while my brain redirects some neural pathways, but otherwise I feel very good. However, I have been warned that there is about a three percent chance that I might relapse into coma at some time in the future. So needless to say I want to live my life to its fullest while I'm still healthy."

One of the reporters in the back managed to ask a question: "Liz, we know that Christine was heterosexual before meeting you. Were you already a lesbian when you brought her home with you? And were you interested in a sexual relationship with her when you asked her to move into your home?"

"I thought the question was rude and totally inappropriate but my fiancée answered: "I have been a lesbian since I was in college. I'm not ashamed that I prefer to be with women, but in answer to your question, my sexual preference had absolutely nothing to do with my decision to offer Chris a place to stay and recover from her ordeal. She was in real trouble and needed to be helped. I was trained and available. I don't think it would have made one bit of difference if I had been straight. I would have still helped her."

The same reporter followed up with another question: "How did your relationship turn sexual if all you offered her was professional help."

I gently shoved Liz over because I wanted to answer the question: "First off, the details from our sex life are none of your business. But I do want you to know that Liz never made a pass at me. She was my friend and my nurse. I needed her help more than you will ever know. Just imagine yourself being tortured everyday and suffering with excruciating pain. Now imagine that you were powerless to stop the pain and that you couldn't even scream. That is what I endured for months. It left me on the verge of insanity. This beautiful kind woman brought me back from that terrible place. She healed my sore body and soothed my mental anguish. I fell in love with her. I wanted to be with her night and day. I was brought up Catholic and was taught it was a sin to have a sexual relationship with a same sex partner, but God sent me his angel, in the form of Elizabeth West, and I'm sure he approves of my deep love for her."

A female reporter from "E" spoke up: "Would you be willing to have your marriage broadcast live on our network?"

Liz smiled and with a sexy laugh said: "Will you buy us some designer wedding gowns if we agree to do it?"

"We will get you anything you want Liz. Is that a designer dress you have on today?"

"Why I'm glad you noticed. This is Donna Karen. Chris helped me pick it out."

The same reporter said: "You look beautiful in Liz. Can we set something up for your wedding?"

At that point Mr. O'Connor moved back up to the podium. "Christine and Elizabeth are represented by a talent agency. I will be glad to provide you with the contact information at the end of the press conference. Now are there any more questions for either of these two exceptional women?"

A reporter who worked for "The Enquirer" stood and asked: "I have a source who has told me that you and Ms. West plan on posing for Playboy. Is that true and when will your pictorial be published?"

Liz handled this guy with ease: "I wish you would give me the name of your source. If he works for Playboy I would love to speak to him. But I figure that you are just making this up like everything else you put in your rag. But in answer to your question, I have not talked to anyone who works for Playboy or any other magazines. And I will make your day by saying that if they offered me the right deal I might be willing to pose. I have worked very hard to stay in shape and I'm not getting any younger so I just might be willing to do it."

"What about you Christine? Would you pose nude with your lover?"

"That is entirely hypothetical because we will probably never be offered a chance to pose for that magazine. I got myself into this mess by agreeing to have my body altered to please my ex-boyfriend. So I have mixed emotions about my artificially enhanced body. I don't want to encourage other young women to go under the knife to have a Playboy sized bust. But if Liz wanted me to pose with her I would probably do it. I would do just about anything for her."

One of the local TV reporters asked the next question: "Have you talked to your ex-boyfriend about your plans to marry Liz?"

"I'm sure you will find this hard to believe, but I haven't spoken to him since before my surgery and subsequent coma. He visited me a few times in the hospital and a couple times at Irvine Care, but I was unable to speak at that time. However, I can't forgive him for telling me, while I was still in coma, that I would never recover and that he wanted to live with a new girlfriend. If there was an Academy Award for being insensitive, then I'm sure Rick Winters would have won. His confession to his ex-girlfriend while she was in a deep coma absolutely stole the show."

My little joke about Rick winning an award actually brought a fair amount of laughter from those present. There were many more questions and Liz and I fielded them all. At the end of the press conference we allowed the photographers to take pictures of us. They were constantly asking Liz to kiss me as they snapped pictures of us. It was truly quite a day. I was now openly gay and a celebrity.

*

Chapter 25

The sheer amount of media coverage that was devoted to our press conference and my "coming out" announcement was stunning. We had no idea that our relationship would generate such a buzz. Fame has its advantages, but it also started to impinge on our privacy.

My ex-boyfriend was crushed when the press attacked him for his caddish behavior. The irony for him was that if his attorney would have concluded his settlement prior to my press conference, I wouldn't have even mentioned him. But his lawyer was slow and I blasted Rick with both barrels. The day after the press conference his attorney called Mr. O'Connor and claimed we acted in bad faith by discussing his client's actions in public. He insisted that the offer to settle should have been honored. That was a ridiculous argument because no written offer had been presented and I had never agreed to anything. After that I instructed Mr. O'Connor to curtail any further negotiations with them. I no longer needed my ex-boyfriend's money, and I felt that restricting my capacity to talk about him would hurt my ability to be provocative while being interviewed. So I hung my ex out to dry.

His attorney repeatedly called and offered more money if I would stop making public statements about his client, but the die had been cast, and Rick would forever be know as a shallow self absorbed asshole.

Michelle Liu also saw some video clips from our press conference. She wanted to arrange a meeting where the remaining four of us would decide on how and when we were going to divide and distribute the cash. We set up a weekend meeting at Huntington Beach. It was a public location but it offered a place where we were sure that there would be no listening or recording devices. I had become rather paranoid when it came to dealing with Michelle.

1...1415161718...20