When Worlds Collide

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Welcome m'sahbak," Onan greeted him. He drew back his lips in a smile. He had chosen to meet the Human in one of the discreet alcoves aboard the ship designed for simply sitting and gazing out at space in a modicum of privacy and, for some, intimacy. There were several booths where up to six could gather, but Onan had ensured, with meticulous design, that only he and Sterling would be in this particular alcove. "Come, sit with me."

Sterling saw the elegant wine decanter. It was shaped like three vines intertwined and contained a rich, ruby-red liquid that seemed almost to glimmer.

"What is this?" he asked as Onan poured some of the liquid into two elegant goblets.

"Eyal and I own one of the largest vineyards of a'marbe'ris. The vines are very old and produce the best flowers, some of which are harvested for perfume and the rest mature to produce the actual fruit. We then make wine. That is my family trade. Please," Onan pushed a glass forward.

"To friendship," Sterling smiled as his raised his glass.

"To the future," Onan added as he duplicated the salute.

Sterling licked his lips appreciatively as he lowered the glass. It was rich, warming and fruity with a kick that told you it was potent.

"It tastes wonderful," Sterling smiled.

"Eyal and I were especially commissioned into service for this momentous occasion, particularly because my brother was such a vocal advocate of the Treaty. However, when this is over we will return to Div'kar and to our more peaceful occupations."

"I guess I'll just carry on aboard Victory," Sterling said, taking another mouthful of the wine. "That probably means we won't see each other again." It was somewhat of a shock to realise almost simultaneously that the thought of returning to his normal duties left him with a hollow feeing and the thought of not seeing Onan again gave him an almost physical ache.

"You could come to Div'kar," Onan suggested, his eyes riveted on the young Human.

"To visit you?" Sterling asked, tilting his head.

"You could come to Div'kar," Onan repeated. "As my betrothed. I understand these words will come as a shock to you. In the times we have met and been together, my heart has felt such joy that I knew I was with the one to whom I would gladly commit myself."

"Are you...are you proposing to me?" Sterling asked, his voice tinged with disbelief.

"Yes. I would ask you to marry me," Onan replied.

"I don't...I can't..."

"Please do not make a decision now," Onan begged. "Please think. I am sure, but I would give you any amount of time you needed."

"I think I need time alone, Onan," Sterling whispered. "I need time to think."

"I understand," Onan said softly. "I will not approach you again. I will wait for you to come to me."

"Thank you," Sterling murmured and left the booth. He did not look back and so did not see the sad, silvery, longing eyes that followed his progress until he vanished.

****

Sterling knew his request would be honoured. Onan, like any Div'kar, would now allow him to come to terms with the proposal. Until Sterling approached, or requested the company of Onan, the Dj'ndi would respect his wish to be left alone. It was true that he had found it amazingly easy to open up to the Div'kar. Something he had found it almost impossible to do with any of his comrades on Victory. He was not stupid or deaf. He knew of his 'Ice Prince' nickname and some of those less flattering, but it had never bothered him. However, now he found himself wondering just why, or for whom, he had decided to wait.

He was so engrossed with his thoughts he almost blundered into Enapay. He blushed as the reptilian regarded him with unblinking, umber eyes.

"You are distressed." The words were a statement as the Science Officer's tongue flickered briefly in the air. He tilted his head. "Do you wish to speak?"

Of all the crew of Victory, Sterling had been pleased that Enapay and Delaney had been the two accompanying the Captain and himself. He had found the reptilian easy to talk to and Delaney had proven a good friend.

"I received a proposal," he blurted before he could censure his tongue. Ducking his head to hide the blush, he peeked at the snake-man's visage. The lack of facial muscles meant the features barely changed. Instead a tongue slid from between scaled lips and Enapay's head tilted.

"Why does that distress you? Why do you feel unworthy of such an offer?"

"Unworthy?" Sterling echoed. Examining his feelings, the young man had to admit the reptilian was right. Part of him did indeed believe he was not worthy of such a declaration.

"Who has asked?" Enapay asked softly, hoping not to scare off the Human now that he was finally opening up.

"Onan," Sterling whispered.

"Then you know he is sure of his devotion," Enapay continued. "He would not make such an offer and bind himself to you for life otherwise. If I may make some observations?" he asked, keeping his voice gentle so that Sterling would not perceive them as criticisms. He waited for a nod before continuing. "I always wished to be a Scientist. I always wished to explore our universe and so I joined Confederation Space Academy. In doing so, I have fulfilled both of my wishes. You, by contrast, have done exactly what was expected of you, no more, no less."

"I don't understand," Sterling whispered, confusion in his voice.

"As First Officer aboard Victory I make a study of all crew assigned to her. I know you excelled in your classes through school and I know you always said you were working hard as your father wished of you. I know you also excelled in the Academy's classes. I was there when you received your promotion to Lieutenant, the youngest Ensign to reach that rank. Although you were top of your class, your father showed no pride in your achievement. I saw other families, whose sons and daughters attained a much lower pass, delighted for their children, because it was their child's dream that had been reached. This is not your dream. Now you are aboard Victory and you still look to attain perfection, not what truly pleases you."

"I never gave thought to what I wanted," Sterling confessed. "I was raised to want to achieve the goals Dad set for me. I...I do feel adrift. He's talked about me reaching a Captain's rank, but I don't know..." He trailed off, looking up at Enapay with a forlorn expression. A strong hand gripped at his shoulder, instinctively finding one of his tense muscles and began a rhythmic squeezing.

"I have watched you keep distance between yourself and almost all of the rest of the crew. But I have also seen how quickly you developed a rapport with Onan and I was very pleased for you. He is certain of his feelings and you must feel something in return or you would have simply declined his offer. It is acceptable to set a time in which to agree or reject a proposal among the Div'kar. You could request a wait of a month or more in which to examine your feelings and decide what you want."

"My Dad would never want me married so young," Sterling replied, shaking his head.

"I have no care for anything your father may or may not wish," Enapay stated baldly, an ominous rattle of his tail accompanying his words. "He does not seek his child's happiness. I want you to decide what would make you happy and I do not believe it is being a Lieutenant aboard Victory or any other ship."

Sterling stared at the snake-man. He had not heard Enapay's rattle sounded in anger before. The loud drumming of the now swishing tail sent a shiver down his spine. However, it also added an emphasis to Enapay's words that no inflection of vocal sound could have more eloquently expressed.

"Thank you. You've given me a lot to think about, Enapay," Sterling nodded. "I was surprised at how quickly I developed camaraderie with Onan, but as to anything more...I don't know if I'm ready or how it could work."

"You do not have a commission aboard an explorer vessel," Enapay said, his rattle softening in timbre. "You get three weeks off in every three months and declined your last shore leave therefore you already have six weeks leave to take. Do not place other obstacles in your way. Examine your heart and speak honestly to Onan. Promise me," the reptilian added, locking his intense stare with Sterling's azure orbs.

Taking a deep breath Sterling nodded. He had never broken a promise.

"I promise," he affirmed.

****

A soft mechanical sound drew Sterling out of his reverie and he looked around, wondering just where he was aboard the vast Warship. He had been aimlessly wandering the ship, and now realised that he was in a part of the Yaotl he had not been in before. He surmised it was near Engineering, judging from the sounds and signs, and this was one area his delegation was not permitted to enter. He quickly decided to turn back. It would be a great set-back between human and Div'kar if he was found wandering around in a forbidden area of the ship

He walked back a little and found a quiet spot in an alcove. Sterling slid down and sat on the floor which was warm, possibly from the engines. He huddled himself between the wall and one of the decorative, intricately carved archways gracing the corridors.. He closed his eyes and tried to concentrate again on the practicalities of the matter, hoping for enlightenment. Onan wanted him; that much was clear. But what did the Div'kar really see in him? 'I don't even know how to make love,' Sterling thought dejectedly.

What did he see in Onan? He was honest enough to admit that Onan was handsome, intelligent and powerful. The Dj'ndi carried his strength easily, was charming, generous and... Sterling blinked dazedly. He had no idea just how deeply the Div'kar had gotten through his defences. He had to admit that he was attracted to Onan, but he had considered it to be friendship. Had it crossed into love? He was not sure he would know how to recognise if it had. His mother had been affectionate enough towards him, but deferred constantly to his father. Sterling had never been the recipient of affection from his father, the older man focusing constantly on what Sterling should achieve. Meeting those expectations had replaced love and Sterling became instilled with the need to attain perfection in everything he undertook. However, it also meant his emotional side had been neglected and his 'Ice Prince' nickname was a poignant reminder.

A murmur of voices drew Sterling out of his reverie. He concentrated on them, realising that sitting in the alcove, he was not visible to the two Dj'ndis who were talking quietly in the corridor. They were speaking in Div'kar but Sterling had studied the language and knew enough to pick up on the conversation.

"Can it be detected?" one voice asked.

"No," the other replied. "The screening is working perfectly. It will not be found."

"Good. Then we are ready?"

"Yes. Within the hour Eyal will no longer be Ka'sar of his caste or Am'yr of the family. While they mourn his loss and appoint a new Ka'sar and Am'yr, we will bring a halt to this agreement."

Sterling's eyes widened with shock. He held his breath, pressing himself further back against the wall. His hand dropped to his side and he fingered the sta'yv, the only weapon non-security personnel were permitted to wear on the ship. He prayed that the Div'kar he could hear were not security or armed with something more substantial. He knew he was in a precarious position, unsure of his location and trapped where he sat. If they spotted him...Sterling resolutely pushed the negative thinking aside.

"We are ready. The explosives are set. All we have to do is detonate. We will destroy Eyal, the Human Captain and the two delegates. In the ensuing chaos our Ka'sar will take power."

His mind racing, Sterling swallowed past a dry throat. They were cold-bloodedly planning to kill Eyal, Bryson, Calandra and Kaamil. With almost painful slowness, hugging tightly to the wall, Sterling eased soundlessly to his feet. His sta'yv was in his hand, fingers ready to trigger the weapon's extension mode. He doubted he could defeat both of the Div'kar Dj'ndis, especially if they were as adept with a sta'yv as Onan. But if he could get or destroy the trigger device, he might at least be able to stop the massacre.

Different sounds came from the corridor and Sterling recognised them as fighting even as he was running ready to do battle. He took a fraction of a second to see that there were three Div'kar in the corridor, two on one. He immediately aimed for the Div'kar that held a small device that he presumed was the detonator. The third Div'kar was Adohi and as their eyes met, he saw the brief nod of acknowledgment. It was more than enough for him to know he was an ally.

The physical strength of his adversary was such that as their sta'yvs clashed, he was slammed hard against an unyielding wall with a pained grunt. With some relief he realised his attacker had little skill with a sta'yv, but he was bigger and more powerful, a deadly enough combination. With a practiced flick of his wrist, he completed an elegant manoeuvre that flipped the device from his opponent's hand. With an outraged roar, the Dj'ndi attacked him harder once again throwing Sterling back against the wall, his ribs protesting the abuse.

Not pausing, he pressed his own attack again, using speed to compensate for his lack of physical strength. He tried to keep the detonator in his view, blocking the Dj'ndi from retrieving it. Performing an acrobatic back flip, to the amazement of his opponent, he scooped up the device before raising his sta'yv to parry a blow. A cry of pain escaped his lips as a vicious blow connected with his left leg. He had inadvertently strayed too close to the other combatants and the enemy Dj'ndi had managed to force his way past Adohi to strike at Sterling. The blond kept his fist closed around the detonator staunchly trying to ignore the waves of pain and nausea that rolled over him.

The first Dj'ndi's sta'yv powered towards him and Sterling tried to parry the blow. He was at an awkward angle in which to properly defend himself. The strength of the attack jarred from his fingers to his shoulder and a blaze of agonising fire shot through his wrist into his forearm. This time Sterling dropped to his knees in pain.

"Time to die, Human," the Div'kar spat, raising his sta'yv high to deliver a strike that would crush the puny Human's skull.

"Not yet," Sterling gasped. He rolled away from the blow, using his good leg to trip his opponent. With sheer desperation, he wrenched open the detonator and pulled free the wires inside. He screamed as a blow connected with his already damaged ribs and another knocked his weapon aside.

'Maybe I've saved them' he thought dazedly as he watched the sta'yv rise ready for a killing blow. A bright light flashed and his attacker collapsed. Then the corridor was filling with Div'kar. Loud voices, added to the melee, making it harder for Sterling to understand what was happening. He was beginning to swim in and out of awareness, pain from his leg, ribs and arm coalescing into one bright shard of agony that Sterling wanted to escape.

"Sterling."

Even in half-consciousness, Sterling knew that voice, but now it was tinged with fear. A sound he had never heard in Onan's voice.

"Onan, they were going to kill..." Sterling gasped, trying to ensure those he had hoped to save would not still be endangered.

"Yes, we know," Onan said softly as he cradled the battered body into his lap. His promise to keep his distance ignored in his desire to bring some comfort to the hurt young Human. He was certain this would not class as a transgression. He gently prised the detonator from Sterling's fingers. Eyal and his guards had already uncovered the explosives, but there was every chance that Sterling's action had been the deciding one that saved his brother and the others from death. "Let our Physician, Mahdi, tend to you. You are hurt."

A Div'kar Physician knelt beside Onan, running a medical scanner over Sterling's body. From the grim visage, he knew his injuries were severe.

"I will administer a sedative before we attempt to move you," Mahdi said quietly. "It will be too painful for you otherwise."

Sterling nodded and gave himself willingly into the darkness to escape the pain.

With care and tenderness, Onan lifted the small, limp form. He could not be sure what Sterling's injuries were and looked imploringly at Mahdi.

"The right wrist is broken and a stress fracture extends into his radius. There are some cracked ribs and there is another fracture to his tibia," the Physician informed Onan.

"He took some strong blows and yet still managed to destroy the detonator, Onan," Adohi added as he joined them. He looked with admiration at the battered body in Onan's arms. "I knew he was a good match for you in the ceremonial display, but this proves beyond doubt that he wields a sta'yv like a master."

"His courage and inner strength are but two of his qualities that I love," Onan said quietly. "I pray this incident does not colour his judgment over accepting me as his suitor."

"That goes without saying," Mahdi said resolutely. "Now let us take him to the sickbay."

****

A soft groan heralded Sterling's eyes fluttering open. He gazed at the splint affixed to his right hand that extended up to his elbow and could feel something similar covering his left leg.

"How do you feel?"

"This is becoming a bad habit," Sterling's voice was dry as he gazed at the faces of Bryson and Enapay. "I feel quite numb," he added replying to the question asked.

"Physician Mahdi thought nerve inhibitors would be preferable to attempts at pain relief. Effectively any messages of pain to your brain from the affected areas are being blocked. You sustained breaks and fractures to your arm and leg. It was felt that inhibitors would allow you to rest better and so heal more quickly," Enapay explained.

A glance around told Sterling that Onan was not there and his missing presence had the blond feel a dull ache in his chest. Had the Div'kar been so disappointed in him that he was purposely staying away?

"Onan is outside," Bryson offered, guessing it was the Warrior the blond searched for. He could also see the desolate look in pained jade eyes. Enapay had spoken to him of Sterling's self-doubts after Eyal had explained Onan's proposal and Sterling's request for time alone. He knew the Div'kar would still respect that request until Sterling rescinded it, but his Lieutenant had obviously forgotten and thought Onan was deliberately staying away. "He's very anxious," he added. "He wants to see you."

"Then why not come in?" Sterling asked perplexed.

"Because you told him you needed time alone," Bryson reminded him quietly. "He still respects that, until you invite him to be with you." He smiled at the 'o' that formed on Sterling's lips. "Would you like to see him?"

"Yes, sir," Sterling replied, his eyes alighting with hope and anticipation.

The sight of the bigger male had the dull ache recede as Onan strode purposefully towards him. However, he could see the worry in Onan's eyes. He knew the Div'kar would have been kept informed, but it was obvious that hearing of Sterling's status and seeing for himself were entirely different matters. Sterling tried for a smile as Onan's glittering silvery eyes roamed anxiously over his supine form. It gave him a warm feeling to know Onan cared.

"Mahdi said you would recover, but I wanted...needed..."

One of the Div'kar's hands fluttered close to Sterling, but did not touch him. The blond caught it in his left hand and pulled it to his chest. It was something that seemed to settle both of them. He relaxed, the strength of the Div'kar's grip seemed to telegraph love and safety and Sterling's own grasp obviously reassured the Dj'ndi. They smiled at one another, oblivious to the knowing looks of the men around them.