All Comments on 'A Carpenter's Best Friend'

by Just_Words

Sort by:
  • 92 Comments
26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
A slice of life

Short, sharp, with a real point. Good to find an enjoyable story here. People will bitch about back story of course. But he didn't need to know who, or why. She did what she did and that's all he needed to know. Haven't seen this before. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
5*****

Lucky man's story!

avidfaavidfaover 5 years ago
Good story

"the story of how I dodged a bullet when I couldn't dodge a nail", that phrase alone merits you a high score.

I know it was a scene, more than a story, but what made it good writing, beyond the competent mechanics, was that the prose carried you along his stream of consciousness effortlessly, unselfconsciously. A lot of times while reading these stories, you have time to stop and wonder either: what's the story line? or, why am I reading this? But once you start reading this story, you are in this guy's mind, experiencing his world. This was well-written enough that you knew the protagonist, and you shared his experience for these few moments. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Wrong category

No wife. No love. No eroticism.

dragonmann72dragonmann72over 5 years ago
Instead of utility knife ...

it should have been called a versatility knife. My only question would be, how many stitches did he get?

ReedRichardsReedRichardsover 5 years ago
You fooled me

I had just assumed that the utility knife would have been used to castrate the guy, but you didn’t go there.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
On my

I laughed and spit my coffee .Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
You’re right

Not much of a story

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
In the UK........

The generic name is a ‘Stanley knife’, because ‘they’ introduced it. How true though. The essential tool for every tradesman, though I doubt Mr Stanley ever had this application in mind, and hopefully I’ll never need to resort to it myself.

Good amusing story.

texaschucktexaschuckover 5 years ago

Well if they ever see each other. She can say that's my pain in the ass ex.

tazz317tazz317over 5 years ago
CYRANO STRIKES AGAIN

this time no poems TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Well done. I wish it kept going.

Thanks for the story.

Cog

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
"I didn't know who it was. I never did find out and I never asked."

That doesn't really make any sense, since his name had to part of the police report. It's hard to imagine a logical scenario where he knows, "Her fuck buddy told a different story, and when confronted Karen gave up the truth." but at no time, ever, is the fuck buddy's name mentioned.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Someone beat me to it but I also agree with the author’s self-assessment... not much of a story

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
LOL! That was funny!

Especially if you're a carpenter and understand what this story was saying about the hammers and saws. I'd probably choose my steel shafted framing hammer as my best friend. It does SO many things besides driving nails. But a utility knife is a handy thing. And with a sharp blade, he would have done some serious damage slashing a guys ass. Enough so that the Police wouldn't have been able to laugh it off. Jail time would have been a certainty. I've seen more people hurt themselves, seriously, with a knife than with all the hammers and saws combined. The real problem with this story was that we're in the Loving Wives category. She was only a girlfriend and it cost him nothing to dump her. Wrong category Dude. If you can't get something that simple figured out, you have no chance with the story.

MollydaKatMollydaKatover 5 years ago
Got his pound of flesh !

I do so luv a happy ending .

*****

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Wow

26thNC will sing the praises for this "not much of a story" but will be his usual grouchy miserable self on a very well written story that happens to have a loving couple engaging in mutual agreed upon sharing? What. A. Complete. Loser.

maninconnmaninconnover 5 years ago
Aheh heh heh

Yeah, man. Nice story. Still laughing.

oldbearswitcholdbearswitchover 5 years ago
Thanks loved it . Pretty good first story

Albeit, very short.

69gman69gmanover 5 years ago
Nice Revenge

You made me laugh again "that crimson red smile crossing both his cheeks" great line.

Good friends, good revenge better story than you think.

qhml1qhml1over 5 years ago
I carry a razor knife daily.

I'm the receiving supervisor for my company, and even though I don't have to I help my drivers and stockers whenever I have a minute. Everything we receive is on the heavy side and most all are tightly wrapped in plastic. I stopped carrying a utility knife years ago, now I carry the one that looks like a regular knife. They're a lot easier to use and carry but the biggest drawback is they only hold one blade at a time.

I look at my left wrist and both forearms, and the tiny scars that will be with me for the rest of my life. It was totally unexpected and I didn't know he was cutting on me until the blood was flying. I managed to secure his hand and gently persuaded him that what he'd done was not the best idea he ever had. He got his own lumps, I broke his nose and kept pounding on it until it was just a blob, and that's what it looks like now, thirty years later.

Because of this I can identify with your story more closely than most folks.

Thanks for the read.

Q

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
A good flash story

Very enjoyable with enough information to let us feel satisfaction for Karl. The only issue I see is that he claims not to know the identity of Karen’s lover yet there was a police investigation. He had to learn who was injured even if only from the police report and local new story and trust me the local news would love to have that story somewhere on page one or on the opening local TV report.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Just recently...

...I discovered this writer by reading his work spouse story. Now this story which was great too. I have another go to author! Another 5 stars. Thanx!

Loklie

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
good story

As someone who uses a utility knife all the time, and flips and/or changes the Lenox Gold blades regularly to keep a sharp edge, I sort of cringed at the thought of the protagonist deliberately slicing into that asshole's butt.

Not that asshole didn't deserve it, but that's a serious load of stitches.

chytownchytownabout 5 years ago
Thanks***

For the read.

tkh3nkey2110tkh3nkey2110about 5 years ago
Neat way to BTB

Second story I have read written by this author. I like the writing. I also like the humor in a violent story. A 3* rating.

jtwheelsjtwheelsalmost 5 years ago
Decided cut ass better than kick ass

Good

Caught and punishment

enderlocke27enderlocke27over 4 years ago
wrong cat

wrong category girlfriends arent wives. as for the story idk felt more like a bad joke wasnt really long enough for a story.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 4 years ago
If it was deep

I wouldn’t think he could walk?

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Still Use The Knife

I always carried one in my tool pouch for around twenty five years, the kind you use a screwdriver to take out the screw to change the blade. Then I discovered one with a little slide catch, it's a bit bigger and you can get a better grip but I still have the old one. Got a scar on my left index finger where the old one slipped cutting paneling. Sum bitch got what he deserved, bet that hurt like hell for a long time. I wonder how you'd explain that one in the ER, it's not like you sat on a thumb tack. It's amazing what one can do when the adrenalin is pumping, fight or flight. You even got a comment from Qhlm1, you now be in rarified company! Enjoyed a bunch, better to find out sooner than later. Signed: BTW

SleeperyJimSleeperyJimover 4 years ago
Sharp wit!

I liked the way you set it up and your clear eagerness to exact revenge on the cheating asshole and his asshole. I must admit it made me wince.

Good one!

danoctoberdanoctoberover 4 years ago
What could he do?

Suck it up, tough it out, and move on? Imagine the trust issues that would follow. Not fair

That kind of betrayal for a serious young fellow learning a trade to be able to earn a living not only with himself in mind, but also for a young woman he loves enough to buy a ring for and marry would be devastating.

Sure, he dodged one bullet, but another went straight through his heart.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
The cheater joined a gym

While in the shower someone asked about the smile scar on his ass, "Why so serious?"

5*

robroy93robroy93about 4 years ago
Wow

That story was really a cut above. Way above the usual LW gabage.

jtwheelsjtwheelsabout 4 years ago
Read again and still enjoyed

Love all the puns

As one who seriously lacks in pun etc categories I really appreciate decent ones

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
It's a good story !

Hell's bells mate that's a good one, I'm a chippie (Aus talk) and I can imagine that happening, maybe both cheeks tho, haha

LenardSpencerLenardSpencerover 3 years ago
Excellent. There will be no cutting remarks from me!

With one stroke you gave a great finish to the story. He will be the butt of jokes for years to cum. Now this really was a Slash and Burn ending. Cheers.

OlgreyfoxOlgreyfoxover 3 years ago
GRRRREAT!!! As the tiger dude says

Very cutting edge story. J_W you have a very unique and funny mind. (as I am rolling with laughter on the floor). Thanks so much for your wit.

26thNC26thNCover 3 years ago
Again

Rereading Just-Words today starting with this neat little flash. I really like the image of slicing open the bastards ass, and the cheating girl friends total shock. Great flash.

RickfromillinoisRickfromillinoisover 3 years ago
So how is this a “loving wife” story? Wrong category.

So how is this a loving wife story?

chytownchytownabout 3 years ago
Nice Read***

He used his best friend to get to the bottom of things. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
As you said not much of a story.

There is no need to submit every single thing you write. Let it stew for a while and see if you can come with a complete tale. Not bad but average.

nixroxnixroxalmost 3 years ago

just the idea for this story deserves a 4 - keep writing

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I would have had to pick one butt cheek or the other. Then compromise and sliced whatever was dangling below and between...

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

That cheeky bum got his comeuppance! I do hope you retired the blade to a place of honor…wouldn’t want to be picking my teeth with the original one ;)

Just_WordsJust_Wordsalmost 3 years agoAuthor

Anonymous, I never thought of that! Maybe he should retire the blade and mount it behind glass, then hang it on the wall still red with blood? It would be his own private joke to enjoy whenever the mood hit him.

a_reader_from_germanya_reader_from_germanyover 2 years ago

I used to own a lot of wood-working tools, still have some. Many could be used as weapons, yet I can proudly say to have never even pointed a tip or sharp edge to another person, not in anger, not while talking and gesturing, not ever. Thus I trust myself to carry a pocket knife, a small Sebenza from Chris Reeve Knifes with Mammoth-Ivory handle inlays and forged Damascus blade by Devin Thomas. I planned it to be my one knife only to be admired, but I just had to start using it. It's both utilitarian, with the quality of an industrial tool, and a partly handcrafted thing of beauty. From the last batch ever made with Mammoth-ivory by this maker, who is now stripped of his own shop in the wake of a DIVORCE. Still, I liked the story and gave 5 stars.

Poppi123Poppi123over 2 years ago

This opens up a whole new category of LW BTB stories: Repurposing your tool of choice to slice and dice the asshole fucking your wife. Lets see: Electric carving knife, Awl, Cordless drill, Leather punch, Hedge trimmer, Weed eater, Glue gun, the possibilities are endless. My personal choice would be a four inch brass deck screw, but I could be wrong.

lbeachamlbeachamover 2 years ago

At least "you" weren't married with kids. That's another hell.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 2 years agoAuthor

@lbeacham - I cannot tell you how many times I read these stories and think "At least they don't have kids" or "At least the kids are grown." I believe a cheater really does cheat on the kids as well as the spouse.

dmallorddmallordover 2 years ago

Great! Avidfa, one of the commenters here, wrapped up my sentiments better than I could have! This is the second story of yours I've read today! I swear we seem to be cosmically connected. Yesterday I started a story about about a missing girl. The lead character is a framing carpenter! Now, can I borrow some of your tools?

desecrationdesecrationover 2 years ago

It's good to get inoculated against lying cheaters while still dating. That way, you know what to look for, and you get to see the Karens of the world go on to become fully hollow people when they keep trying to find external solutions to internal problems.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 2 years agoAuthor

@desecration - You used one of my favorite expressions "...external solutions to internal problems." I think that every day when I see people who need psychological therapy resorting solely to drugs to make them feel better. You're right on the money.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

At least he dumped the cheating bitch. And I've never seen a utility knife shorter than 5 or 6 inches.

Signed - A "real" carpenter.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

to a "real carpenter" foo, you ought know, author was describing the blade even while calling it a knife. so u may be a "real carpenter" but your ability to understand or follow a train of thought is lacking, so I wouldnt expect your carpentry to be any better.

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefover 2 years ago

Had me laughing at the ending, no pun intended. The slice and dice did make me cringe just a little because I know how sharp those blades are and they cut flesh very easy. Could have been worse, he could have done the Zorro thing, lol. This story connected with me on several levels, I was a carpenter for over 30 years, luckily my Karen never cheated on me and we were married for over 50 years before she departed. Enjoyed, thanks.

Diecast1Diecast1over 2 years ago

Ordinary story. AA++

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

A good story better to find out now then 5 years down the track(jaybee186)

not_a_viking_honestnot_a_viking_honestabout 2 years ago

I'm never particularly impressed by husbands that sever everything. Makes for shit stories most of the time. Kinda rich, him complaining about her immaturity, when his reaction isn't all that mature either. Though i get that he was hurt.

OdessaLesOdessaLesabout 2 years ago

Not great, but something to read and pass the time.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago
Friends

I cut my finger off on a job site. Not the (w)hole finger, the one next to it😆When I eventually got back to work, they had a box of chocolate finger biscuits waiting for me beside the coffee machine, while pissing themselves with laughter. It's good to have friends. They don't let you feel sorry for yourself.

RRC2RRC2almost 2 years ago

Short, to the point. Well told. What's with the complaining comments? This is a quickie and as such a breath of fun.

THANkS

parenthesisparenthesisalmost 2 years ago

Thanks, I enjoyed this.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Gives a whole new meaning to 'pain in the ass'. Thanks for the TAIL!

somewhere east of Omaha

SyzyguySyzyguyover 1 year ago

Nice background build-up, clear focus on Carl with a dramatic response to the "lovers". I didn't need to know much more about the guy than that he had a hairy white ass. I, like Carl, didn't need more and it was good to find out the truth before the wedding. Hope he was able to get his money back on the ring. Thank you.

I'll never look at my utility knife in quite the same way again . . .

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Too many stories of interfering parents!! And too many are okay with a cheating spouse!!

Vstar67Vstar67over 1 year ago

He should of made him a eunuch, or a stubby!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Nice to get a smile when all is not going well. 4*s.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Incomplete

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

anonymous from 5 days ago - what do you mean 'incomplete'? What do you want - pictures?

4 stars Thanks J_W

somewhere east of Omaha

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Not incomplete at all. Wonderful tale.

Ed

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

It should be his balls not his ass lol

NudeInMaineNudeInMaineabout 1 year ago

But how many stitches did it take to sew his ass back together?

Schwanze1Schwanze1about 1 year ago

Read again,

An inch deep? He ain't walkin' nowhere.

DessertmanDessertmanabout 1 year ago

Good short story. Ignore the critics!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

No apologies needed. My hand can almost feel the sharp steel slicing through his ass flesh. Feels good

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago
BS!

BS! BS! BS!

XluckyleeXluckyleeabout 1 year ago

I have been a builder for years and cary a folding utility knife in my pocket all the time. I would do the same thing if I found my wife enjoying some strange. 5 stars

shopratshopratabout 1 year ago

Great story. At first I thought, given the position of the "rapist", I thought the mc was going somewhere else with that knife :)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I like your stories that don't allow the women to explain or rationalize their shit behavior. Don't let them off of the hook

nixroxnixrox8 months ago

5 stars - I like this story

Grant_GlapsvidhrsonGrant_Glapsvidhrson8 months ago

Utility knives definitely need more love! 5 stars.

GuyfromShadesGuyfromShades7 months ago

Enjoyed the story. Thanks for your writing.

Chimo1961Chimo19617 months ago

That cutting image stays in our head nice imagery

PondLife2023PondLife20237 months ago

Nice one “Stanley”!

26thNC26thNC7 months ago

He got rid of a cheating girlfriend and a piec of hairy, white ass at the same time.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Kind of a small utility knife. Good that he dumped the cheating girlfriend. Bad that it was a girlfriend and that there was no loving wife to be found in the story posted in the LW section.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Loved it. Bet hairy ass felt it was a bummer though lol. BardnotBard

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Ouch an inch cut across both cheeksfrom side to side. Yikes!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJust_Words@Just_Words
1751 Followers
I suppose I write for many of the same reasons that others do. First, I am exorcising my demons. I use writing to explore my thoughts and emotions, sometimes embracing, and perhaps ridding myself of, my darker thoughts and sometimes finding happier themes to celebrate. It s...