A Fool No More

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Good night, Jared, and thanks again. Talk to you soon," she whispered when she drew back before jumping out of the Malibu, taking her sister's arm and rushing them toward the stairs.

"Wow," I breathed as they started up the stairs, their costume miniskirts bouncing behind them, showing their beautiful legs and giving a hint of more. "Wow."

***

Halloween was three nights later so I bought some candy in case any trick-or-treaters came by. The bell rang shortly before 7 and I opened the door to see Brooke in her Velma costume instead of a trick-or-treater. She had a basket filled with candy on her arm and that red skirt that barely covered...anything.

"Hi, Jared. Need some help giving out candy to the munchkins? I brought some in case you forgot."

I swallowed, hard, as I tried to come up with a reply. "Ahem, sure. If you think that costume's safe for little kids."

"It's cool tonight so I have on tights," she replied as she pulled the pleated red miniskirt up a bit and showed me the tops of the nude thigh-highs she had on below her orange stockings. It was as risqué as hell, giving me a good look at the stay-up band and a peek at her white cotton panties that appeared molded to her sex. My face was as red as the damn skirt as I pointedly looked away, trying to forget how revealing it was.

"Uh, Brooke, I'm not really convinced the tights make much of a difference in the situation with the kids, but please don't do that to me again. That almost gave me a heart attack."

She gave me a prim little smile that really wasn't proper at all before turning, flipping the back of her miniskirt up so I could see that the panty was actually a thong buried between exquisite cheeks, and throwing an evil little grin over her shoulder at me. She added her candy to my plastic pumpkin before I could object and then, right in front of me and barely controlling her laughter, the little minx pulled the skirt down a few inches to where it probably should have been all along.

I said the f-word under my breath while wishing she was fifteen or twenty years older so I could turn off the front porch light and we could go back to my bedroom and do just that. However, that was the end of her teasing and she was the model of good behavior around the kids, some of whom actually recognized her cartoon character. A little princess even recognized Ms. Woodsen as her second-grade school teacher, causing the little girl to take off her mask and the two of them to hug. The little girl received a couple of extra handfuls of candy in her bag.

In case there were any stragglers, we talked for a little while after the kids stopped showing up but nobody else came so Brooke gave me a goodbye hug followed by a kiss right on my lips. This one was even hotter than the goodbye kiss on Saturday and my eyes closed as I kissed her back for a few seconds before I felt myself starting to get carried away. Not wanting her to notice my arousal, I pulled away, but Brook leaned in, pressed her cheek against mine, and put her lips near my ear.

"Jared, I'll bet you're going to have interesting dreams about Velma tonight. Good night."

"Good night, Brooke," I rasped in reply. I didn't tell her that I'd probably have some dreams but I wasn't sure if interesting was the right word or if they'd be about Velma or, more likely, the vixen playing her.

After her car pulled away, I went back inside trying to resist the overpowering urge, but it was too much. Stripping, I stepped into the hot shower, closed my eyes, and let the water, the desire for Brooke, and the wonderful sensations wash over me.

Coming down from my high, I was embarrassed at first but when I went to bed, I went to sleep quickly and slept like the proverbial baby.

***

Brooke and I swapped several messages during the week and she called on Thursday evening.

"Brianna's boyfriend's back from his conference so I'd really like to be out of the apartment on Saturday evening to give them some privacy, if you know what I mean. I'll cook dinner for us and maybe we can watch a football game afterwards?"

"Brooke, I--" I started.

"I'll be there at 6, okay? It'll be fun!"

"Uh, yeah. See you then," I agreed against my better judgment.

"Great! Sleep well, Jared! Night!"

"You, too," I said as she ended the call, leaving me wondering what I was doing.

Brooke was twenty-two years old, my Ashley's age, a legal adult but, in truth, little more than a child. She was barely over half my age, far too young for me to be thinking of her as I'd begun to, far too young for me to be spending time with her as if there might be a chance that we could be anything more than friends. My finger hovered over the dial button on my Blackberry, ready to call her back and cancel the whole thing and to tell her that I couldn't see her again, but the thought of that left an empty feeling in my gut, knowing that I'd miss the time we were spending together.

No, I wouldn't cancel, but I'd have to be careful to not get hooked on her, and careful not to hurt her either.

***

Brooke's dinner--I refused to call it a date in my mind--and my doubts about what each of us wanted and what I was willing to give led my days to be filled with doubts and perturbation and my nights--well, I must admit that on Friday night I used a certain online website and the other type of -urbation trying to avoid again thinking of Brooke in an improper manner. It didn't work, as the model's face became Brooke's in my mind as I neared my climax. Her soft lips on mine, her sweet breasts pressed against me, and her incredible camel toe in that white thong that I'd seen for less than a split second pushed me over the edge.

After cleaning up the resulting mess, I was able to get to sleep, a smile on my face despite my doubts.

The doubt was even stronger on Saturday morning as I realized that I wasn't sure how much I cared for Brooke but that I lusted after her way too much. Once again, I almost dialed her to cancel, but despite my doubts, I wanted to see her so I left things as they were, telling myself I'd be very careful.

With the choice made, I spent Saturday morning working in the yard and Saturday afternoon cleaning house, making sure everything was in order, all the while doubting my resolve, still trying to convince myself that we were two friends having dinner and that neither of us would see it--or wish to see it--as anything more.

The doorbell rang sometime in the middle of the afternoon and I was surprised to find, not a neighborhood kid doing a fundraiser, a salesperson, or a Jehovah's Witness, but rather Brianna, Brooke's big sister.

"Hi, Jared. May I come in? We need to talk."

Her face was set with a determined look so I nodded and opened the door wide to allow her to enter. As she took a seat on the couch, I asked, "Brianna, can I get you something to drink?"

She sighed. "A double martini?"

My eyebrows shot up, but she gave a quirky little smile and shook her head. "No, seriously, I'm fine...for now. Though I may need something strong later on."

"Okay, that doesn't sound good. What's going on, Brianna? Is something wrong with Brooke?"

Brianna studied my face for a few seconds, a debate raging within her. "Jared...do you like my sister?"

My breath caught, but I tried to hide it and breathe normally. "Of course. Brooke's a really nice young woman and I'm, ah, glad to have her as a friend."

"That's not what I asked. I asked if you like my sister, as in, you know, more than just a friend?"

"Why are you asking this, Brianna?"

"Because I know my sister. Say, how old are you anyway?"

"I'll be forty-three next month."

"So forty-two now. Isn't Ashley Brooke's age? You started pretty young, didn't you?"

Originally, and for years afterward, I blushed in embarrassment at our accident being exposed, but Ashley had been the result so when Brianna said that, I nodded with a wry smile and told her the truth. "Yes, but it wasn't intentional. I was a year ahead of Jeanie, the former Mrs. McClelland, in high school so I went to college here in town. That way, we could be together instead of being separated and one of us ending up with a Dear Jared or Dear Jeanie letter."

"Smart move. My high school boyfriend and I broke up because we went to different schools and basically went our separate ways after a few months of college."

"Yeah, distance can be a killer, so that happens a lot, but Jeanie and I stayed close and made it work; we were completely in love and planning our future. She was going to start college with me the fall after she graduated and we thought we had everything planned out until we, ah, got together for the first time after the party the night she graduated from high school."

"Let me guess. Accidents happen?"

"Well, it was planned, but yeah, Ashley happened when we weren't quite as careful as we thought we were; it was the first time for both of us so inexperience probably had a lot to do with it."

"And maybe excessive exuberance?"

Brianna had a teasing "been there, done that" look that put me at ease and led me to chuckle. I remembered how hard it had been to wait so long and how excited we'd been that first time. And the times that followed...

"Yeah, probably," I answered. "We married at the courthouse a few weeks later, just days after discovering that we were going to be parents, and I withdrew from college before the start of my sophomore year to take a job at the plant to provide for my little family. It was tough--I was only 20 and Jeanie was 19 when Ash was born, so you can imagine the level of maturity we're talking about--but we made ends meet somehow and made what seemed like a great life together until she decided it was time to move on right after Ashley graduated from high school. So yeah, I'm a little young to have a daughter Ashley and Brooke's age, but I have my Ashley and I wouldn't change a thing if I could."

Other than having her talk to me, I thought.

Brianna studied my face for a few seconds before nodding, accepting my reply and putting me at ease, right before she asked again. "So, do you like Brooke? Like that?"

My breath caught and my heart raced as I tried to keep my eyes locked on hers, the thoughts of my lust and recent actions swimming through my mind. It was tough but I shrugged my shoulders.

"Brianna, I should be able to say 'No!' emphatically with enough resolution that neither of us would doubt me...but I don't know...and I can't say it. Considering the difference in our ages, I like her more than I should; if I were 15 or 20 years younger, hell, maybe even just 10 years younger, I'd ask her out on a real date. No, make that, I'd have already asked her out. As it is, I'm almost twice her age, so I can't ask her out. I can't do that to her."

"You've already gotten together several times, even if you don't consider them real dates. Why do that and risk hurting her?"

"We're good friends and have enjoyed doing some things together, but it's not like we're dating. And I'm avoiding doing anything that might be inappropriate," I said, purposefully ignoring anything done in private, "so I don't think it will be a problem. She seems like a friendly, fun-loving girl, so I doubt that it's enough for her to even notice."

Brianna gave me a skeptical look and shook her head. "I can answer that last part, Jared. It's enough, believe me. She's noticed." There was a pause before she added, "Big time."

I bit off the expletive but Brianna chuckled, knowing my intent if not the actual word. "Brooke likes you a lot, Jared, but she's been hurt--badly hurt--by David, her ex-boyfriend from college. I don't know if she told you but that's one of the reasons she came back here instead of staying out in La-La Land. She loved him and was with him through three years of college, but it was never going to go anywhere despite what she thought. She finally realized it when she got burned yet again--"

That sounds familiar, I thought.

"--and she got away from him. Now she's enjoying life, so she doesn't need anyone else leading her on or giving her shit." Looking more serious, she added, "And she especially doesn't need that from you."

"Brianna, I--"

There was an edge to her voice as she cut in. "Let me finish. I don't care if you walk away now and avoid encouraging her or if you want to go all in for the win--you're a really nice guy and would probably do anything for her. Just look at my fiancé, signing up for a stupid conference at the last minute and paying the damn late fee so he didn't have to wear that silly costume. You did it to help her and you're not even dating. Yet, anyway." She chuckled at the thought. "Jared, what I'm trying to say is don't lead her on, get her to like you, and then throw in your hand without really trying."

She held up her hand when I started to interject again. "Oh, I know it may not work out, but if you try to see if there's something between you, be serious about it. Give the relationship a real chance. Don't just fuck her, get her excited, and then have second thoughts and fuck her over like David did so many times." She paused for a moment before adding, "Please?"

Her love for her little sister was obvious and her concern quite clear. I gave a slow nod. "I don't think that's going to happen, Brianna, but if it does, it will definitely be because I'm serious about it. You'll have to talk to Brooke about her end though."

She chuckled. "Knowing Brooke, I don't think that will be an issue, but I have one more thing for you."

"What's that?"

She leaned toward me and whispered in a conspiratorial manner, "If you two do get serious and it gets to the point where you fuck...well, if you get my little sister pregnant without at least an engagement ring, I'll cut your damn balls off."

I was shocked and stared at her but she laughed out loud at my expression. "Seriously, Jared, just be careful. I don't want her hurt or forced into doing something unless she wants to do it. Brooke's a good person, a kind and gentle soul, and she doesn't have the edge I have; I think Mom and Dad gave me her share. She'd never be able to give up a baby if she gets pregnant, either to adoption or through abortion." She reached up and touched my cheek with her hand, giving it a caress with her fingertips as she drew her hand away. "With your history of hitting the bullseye on your first shot, I just want you to be aware and be careful."

"Like I said, I don't think that will ever happen, but on the chance it does, we'll be careful."

I walked her to the door and started to open it, but she put her hand on my chest, stopping me before reaching up to caress my cheek.

"One more thing. Make sure you shave so you don't scratch her and whatever you do, don't give her a visible hickey, if you're into that sort of thing, or she'll get laughed out of school." She grinned at me and was out the door with a "See you around" just a moment later.

***

Brooke came over late that afternoon and cooked dinner for me. It was a lovely meal and quite tasty, but I was somewhat uncomfortable throughout it, thinking of what Brianna and I had discussed, wondering why I was offering Brooke encouragement on this silly thing between us. Still, I wasn't sure what, if anything, there was, so after dinner while we sat on the couch talking, I decided to ask.

"Brooke, may I ask you a question?"

"Sure, shoot. What is it?"

"Do you...do you like me?"

"Yes! He noticed!" she said with a laugh. "Seriously, Jared, yes, I like you a lot and would like to see if there's anything between us."

"Brooke, there might be, but there shouldn't be. I'm just too old for you. You'll be so much happier in the long run if you find someone closer to your age rather than me, a fuddy-duddy nearly twice your age."

"You don't know if that's true," she said, looking a little offended. "Age doesn't determine happiness, and no, I'm not going to walk away just because somebody might think it does. Now that that silliness is out of the way, the game's about to start. Who are you rooting for tonight anyway?"

"Why do you ask? Do you need a suggestion on which team to cheer for?"

"No, I was wondering if we'd be sitting on the couch together or if you'd be sitting over there cheering for the wrong team while I'm over here cheering for the good guys." From what I could tell, she was trying to keep from laughing as she said it.

"Ahem, so tell me, who are you cheering for, Miss Woodsen?"

"State, of course."

Despite all my doubts, I liked her, her determination, and her spunkiness. "That sounds like a good plan to me," I agreed as I sat down on the couch next to her.

***

A few days before Thanksgiving, there was another knock on my door. To my surprise, it was my daughter Ashley and she was sniffling.

"Ash! What's happening? Are you okay?" I asked as I pulled her into my arms and hugged her like she was still a little girl.

"Daddy, I'm so sorry! Momma admitted to me tonight that she lied to me, that you didn't do the things she said."

"What? What did she tell you?"

"It...it doesn't matter now. She said she wanted to hurt you at the time, but she's realizing now what she threw away and wants to come clean so you two can get back together."

"What's happening, Ashley? Are Mom and Tommy-boy having trouble?"

"Yes...for a long time, but they're getting a divorce now. I'm not sure but I think he cheated on her. Now she's planning to ask you to give her another chance."

I shuddered inwardly at the thought but said nothing in response to that, suspecting that was what had happened before our reconciliation. Instead, I said, "Come in and have a seat. Can I get you anything?"

"Forgiveness and more hugging?"

"You have the first, sweetheart, always, and you can have as much hugging as you want." I sat on the couch with her, my arms around her holding her much like I had when she skinned a knee or the time that Ryan-idiot broke up with her in the 10th or 11th grade. I'd long suspected he'd regret that mistake for the rest of his life.

Ashley told me about her mother's problems with Tommy and how Jeanie had finally seemed to get the proverbial point about the grass and the other side.

Based on what I knew about him from the investigator's report, I'd long suspected that he wouldn't be able to resist temptation and faulted Jeanie for not figuring that out, too. After all, I'd given her the P.I.'s report about her new husband cheating on his first wife. What made her believe he'd be any more faithful with her?

"Will you give her another chance, Daddy?"

I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Time for Ashley to hear some cold, hard truth.

"No, sweetheart. I loved your mother with all my heart and soul. I let her get away with a lot more than I should have over the years as a result, trying to make her happy and make things easier for her, rather than making her do it on her own. Don't get me wrong, when you marry, you want to do things for your spouse, but you don't want to do so much that they grow dependent on you, for your spouse to grow to expect the nice things without really appreciating them or, at least occasionally, doing something nice in return."

Ash nodded. "So, what you're saying is marriage is a partnership, but when it becomes too one-sided, it damages the relationship over time? When one spouse comes to expect things, the other side may resent having to give them?"

My girl was smart. "You got it," I replied.

"I think we hit on this in one of my sociology classes or something like that."

"Hmm, maybe I learned more in one of my electives than I thought," I laughed. "Anyway, some people like your Grandpa Luke call it high maintenance, and Mom is definitely that. She had everything I could give her, but then she decided she needed more and she threw me away. We divorced so she could figure it all out and get whatever she wanted."

123456...9