A Girl Named Mitch Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Don't toy with me, young lady." Dad sat forward. "Have you defiled yourself with that girl?"

That word made me angry, and my soul steeled inside me. "No, I have not. I have shared a bed with her for the last three years. We have been as intimate as two people can be, and none of it has defiled me. I am moving to Tampa with her, and we are going to start a life and a family together"

"A family!? It's not a family, it's an abomination, young lady. You are going to get your bags and forget this nonsense." He looked past me. "Charlotte! Back to your room!" I turned in time to see my sister vanish down the hall.

"Really. That's what you want? Your openly gay daughter living under your roof? Cause that's what I am, Dad." I put some spite into the word. "I'm not hiding any more. Now we're going to get my things from my room, and we're going to leave."

"We? She's here?"

"She's in her truck. She's going to help me pack. We'll be gone faster that way."

"That person is not allowed in my house! If she steps in the front door I'm calling the police."

"Fine, Dad, you do that, and I'll make sure the officer and everyone on the block knows exactly what's going on. We'll see how long the town rumor mill takes to grow this particular weed."

Dad thought for a second, weighing the unpleasant options. In the end he decided on a different attack. "If you walk out that door you are not welcome back, not until you've repented from this filth. This will take you to hell. You know that."

"If God doesn't want me to be happy, especially in an innocent, mutually healthy relationship, then he's not worth worshipping. "

Mom was crying, and there were tears in my eyes as well. I went to the front door, opening it and beckoning Mitch inside. She nodded and grabbed the flat boxes and the tape gun out of the back and headed my way.

A voice from behind me spoke, but I didn't turn. "You are not my daughter. You have no place in this family. Get your things and leave. Don't darken our doorstep again. I wash my hands of you and your filth." There was no sadness or regret, no trace of pain in his voice, just anger and hatred that made my blood run cold.

By the time Mitch got inside my dad was gone, probably retreating into his study. To be honest, that was as good as I could have hoped for, so I figured we should make hay. Mom was still sitting on the couch, now staring in unabashed horror at the tall butch now standing in her living room.

"Mom, this is Michelle Kirkpatrick. My girlfriend."

Mom didn't acknowledge her, even when Mitch nodded to her and said, "Ma'am."

I decided not to push it, and led Mitch back to my room. We packed quickly. I pulled out my Letterman's jacket and other clothes I hadn't brought to school while Mitch assembled boxes. I moved with a fire in me. I wasn't sure what my dad was planning, if anything, and I wanted to be gone and out of his reach as soon as possible. By some miracle, we didn't see him again. In less than an hour I had my clothes and sundries packed, and we were pulling away from my house. My mother hadn't said goodbye, not that I'd expected it.

As we pulled out of town the emotion of the thing started to catch up to me, and tears were rolling down my face.

"Sweetheart?" There was real concern in my girlfriend's voice, and I made myself look at her and smile.

"I'm okay, sweetie."

"I'm so sorry, baby."

It looked like she had something else to say. So I asked. "What?"

"You, um," she swallowed heavily, "you don't blame me, do you?"

"Blame you? For what?"

"Well, if you hadn't met me, none of this would have happened. I wouldn't be taking you away from your family."

This was very unlike Mitch. She was always confident to the point of cocky, in the most innocent and endearing way, of course. Seeing her vulnerable and scared was disconcerting, so I reached out and took her hand. "Sweetheart, don't. Remember when you told me I wasn't responsible for my parents actions?"

"Yeah."

"Neither are you." My thumb ran over the back of her hand, and I could feel the energy that was always present when we touched.

"I know, but still."

"I know too. I know it shouldn't be like this. I should be able to bring the person I love home to my family, regardless of who they are. I shouldn't have to choose. But I know I chose right. You know how I know?"

She turned her perfect blue eyes to mine, her gentle smile filling my soul. "How?"

"Because of the way that you're looking at me now. Because I know how much you love me." I smiled back at her. "Because I can't wait to start our life together."

A tear formed in Mitch's eye as she looked back to the road. "Our life. Sounds perfect."

It was a long trip, and it was well after ten before we pulled into the Kirkpatricks' driveway. But even though the sun was long down, Jack and Stacy were standing on the porch, and when I climbed down out of the passenger side of Mitch's truck, Stacy's arms were waiting for a much needed hug. I kind of broke down on her shoulder, and she just held me tight and let me cry.

"You always have a family here, dear. You know that, right?"

I nodded, not letting go for what felt like several more minutes. The cold finality of my father's voice still echoed in my mind. But I also knew I'd done the right thing, standing up for who I was, and what Mitch and I were together.

We spent the whole of the next year living with Mitch's parents. I found a job quickly, at a locally owned fiduciary where I had real contact with investor accounts. I had a pretty good idea from before, but it didn't take me long to realize that was what I wanted to do, working with smaller accounts and helping them grow, so that real people could have the retirements they deserved.

Mitch did wonderfully at her student teaching, officially graduating in December and taking over her official teaching duties at the school, including being an assistant coach for the girl's tennis team. We spent, and still do spend, a lot of nights cuddled up on the couch breaking down film of her players and their upcoming opponents.

We moved into our own place that following summer, just renting to start. I'd put almost my entire salary away that first year, and being in the financial game has other perks. I was able to keep my ear to the ground on foreclosures and seizures, and we were able to buy a little place for a great deal.

It was just after two-thirty on a Tuesday afternoon, January 6th, 2015, exactly, when one of the ladies in my office poked her head into my cube.

"Are you excited?"

I looked up from the account I was working on. "About what?"

"You don't know? God, Cindy, look at your phone."

I gave a confused grin and pulled the device out of the drawer where I kept it. I didn't like it on my desk, where it had a tendency to distract me. Sure enough there was a news alert, which I pressed to open.

'Florida Supreme Court strikes down same-sex marriage ban."

My hand went to my mouth, covering it as I drew a shaky breath. "Oh, my god!"

Rachelle nodded. "Yeah, they're already giving out licenses in some counties. They expect all counties to start issuing them tomorrow."

I felt a sob escape my chest, and the commotion drew the attention of many others in the office. I'd never hid my sexuality here, I refused to, and there was a picture of Mitch and me on my desk, so everyone knew what this meant to me. I glanced at the clock. School should have ended for Mitch just a few minutes ago, and I was just about to call when my phone started buzzing in my hand.

"Hello?"

"Hi, sweetheart. Did you hear?"

Her voice was dancing with happiness, and tears were rolling down my face. "Yeah, people in the office just told me."

"So, what do you think? Cindy Spencer, will you marry me?"

"Yes, of course I'll marry you." With that my whole office cheered, and I cried. My boss sent me home for the day, and Mitch and I and her parents all went out for dinner that night to celebrate.

Mitch insisted that she be able to buy me a real ring, so I waited a year while she saved up the money before she proposed again. We got married in April, 2017, on a perfect Saturday afternoon. Carl gave me away, and Carrie and Bridget stood up as my bridesmaids.

Carl and Bridget had gotten married two summers prior, and at their wedding Dad and Mom completely ignored my existence, which left me an emotional mess afterwards. At my own wedding it was so hard, not having my mother or sister there, but I had total confidence in my choice of partner.

I've heard so many people, including Mitch, say that their wedding was a blur. I guess a lot of the day was, but I remember almost every second of the ceremony itself, the beauty of the garden, the color of the flowers, and the beaming gaze of Michelle as I walked towards her.

The minister invited us to speak our promises before he got to the traditional vows, and I can recall almost every word,

Mitch went first.

"Cindy, my love, I'll never forget the first time I met you, and how much you didn't like me." --laughter- "But even then, in those early moments, you were the only thing I could think about. As we got closer, teammates, doubles partners, friends, I kept telling myself not to get too excited, because if I did, if I indulged those fantasies, and they didn't come true, I'm not sure I'd have survived. Not that I listened to myself, of course. I dreamed of this moment so often, that when you told me you wanted to be mine, I didn't believe it was really happening. I still think it's a dream, some crazy, perfect dream that I never want to wake from. Cindy, I'm yours. My heart, body, soul, all yours, forever. I promise to be your best friend, biggest supporter, your wife, for every day God gives us together. I love you, always.

The minister turned to me, and I very much wanted to know how I was supposed to speak with the tears of joy rolling down my face. But all I had to do was look up into Mitch's eyes, those perfect blue eyes, where there was love, and peace.

"Michelle, you challenged everything I ever thought I knew from the first moments. I never told you this, but that first time, in the gym, I couldn't take my eyes off you. Your smile, your eyes, the way you moved, they captivated me in a way I didn't understand. But it wasn't just those things. Your relentless optimism, your passion for life, they brightened my world with colors I didn't know existed, and in your gentle arms, even when they were just the arms of a friend, I felt safe and happy in ways I'd never known. My heart understood it wanted to be yours for so long before my head caught up, but now I know. Every day with you is a joy and a gift, and every sacrifice is worth it if I get to be with you. I promise to be your friend, your lover, your cheerleader, and your critic. But mostly I promise to be your faithful wife and partner in all things. Now and forever. I love you, too."

We went through the traditional vows, and Carl and Stacy lit the tapers we used to light our unity candle. Eventually the minister turned us toward the assembly.

"And now, I present to you, for the first time, Michelle and Cindy Kirkpatrick. Ladies, you may kiss your bride."

We held off on our honeymoon until Mitch was out of school, and then we were gone to Bermuda for a week, a gift from Mitch's grandparents. And that's basically where you met us, when Carrie brought Iryna to meet us that fall.

That's been a few years now. Oh, and I just felt the baby kick. I had some complications, and my OB put me on bed rest three weeks ago. It's driving me nuts, even if it did give me the chance to write this, but I could deliver any day now. I'm definitely ready to not be pregnant anymore, but more than that I just want to hold my daughter. We haven't actually been told the sex, but I remember the dream I had before Mitch and I got together, and I know it's a girl.

Carrie and Iryna helped us financially, as IVF is expensive and it took several attempts to get it right. Biologically Mitch is the mother, and Carl is the donor. I was honestly a little worried that I wouldn't feel connected to the baby, because she wasn't biologically mine, but that fear vanished the first moment I felt her move inside me.

I sent my mom a copy of the sonogram, along with a letter stating I would keep her updated about her granddaughter's life, and that she was always welcome to reach out. Carl says she's asked about me, how I'm doing. I'm hoping someday she'll find the courage to contact me. Charlotte was allowed to attend a small Christian college, but she dropped out after three semesters to get married. I wasn't invited to the wedding. I hope she's happy, and I think about her a lot.

Mitch has been adorable. She reads and talks to my belly every day, saying she wants our baby to know her voice. She's also insistent that she gets to carry next time. She tells everyone it's so that she can send me for pickles and ice cream at two AM (which only happened once, thank you very much), but I know she just wants to experience this. I don't blame her. Feeling your child grow inside you is indescribable.

I can hear the garage door opening, so Mitch is home. It still makes me smile every time. Thank you for reading, and God bless.

Twenty years later

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the ladies final at Wimbledon, 2041. I'm James Blake, here with my partner, Bethanie Matttek-Sands, and Bethanie, this is the day the U.S. has been waiting for."

"Absolutely, James, since bursting onto the scene at Flushing Meadows as an eighteen year old prodigy, we've all been waiting for the day the Great American Hope, Hope Kirkpatrick, would reach a grand-slam final. She faces a stiff test in Russian world number two, Sofia Ivanova, but with the dominance she's shown on the grass this fortnight, James, no one is calling her an underdog."

"So true. As we wait for the player introductions, here's a shot of Hope's box. Her coach, there on the right, needs no introduction, nine time grand slam champion and former world number one Iryna Baraskova."

"Yeah, James, she's been coaching Hope since she was sixteen, and of course sitting next to Iryna is Carrie Mitchell, Iryna's wife and absolute fixture through every one of her major titles. We all remember seeing her cheering and urging Iryna on through every point of every slam, and, as Iryna would say, keeping both her body and mind in top condition for each. Next to them, the couple holding hands, are Hope's parents, Michelle and Cindy Kirkpatrick. I actually got to sit down with them earlier this week, and let me tell you, if anyone wonders where Hope gets both her passionate playing style and the poise and high tennis I.Q. everyone says is beyond her years, look no further.

"Michelle is outgoing, dynamic, but always smiling and friendly, while Cindy is much more reserved and analytical, a brilliant tennis mind. They were both standouts at the University of Georgia, along with Carrie Mitchell, where they all met. But what really struck me, James, was the way the two of them just seem to resonate off each other. The energy between them is palpable, how much a part of each other they are. It's no wonder Hope has been able to reach so high so soon, with that secure foundation at home. Honestly, James, being around them made me want to go home and hug my husband, Justin, and remind him how happy he makes me."

"That's sweet. I probably should shout out to my wife, Emily, back home, too. I love you. Anyway, we also see her brother, John, who competed in the boy's championships this year, making the quarters at age fifteen. A new addition to the box, behind Hope's mothers, is her uncle, Carl Spencer and his wife Bridget. This week Hope revealed to us that Uncle Carl is indeed her biological father, and she was asked after the semifinals about how it would feel to have her father there in the box. This is how she responded:"

"Uncle Carl isn't my father. He's a wonderful Uncle, and I love him and Aunt Bridget and all my cousins, and I'm forever grateful for how he helped my moms have me and my brother, but I already have two wonderful parents, who've shown me not only how to play tennis and chase my dreams, but also how to love without conditions, how to support your partner through everything, and how to be a woman of passion, poise, and grace.

"Even after almost thirty years together, they're still the best of friends, and still deeply in love. They've taught me what I want in a partner someday. But today, I just want to win Wimbledon."

THE END

*******

Thank you all for taking this journey with me! I hope you enjoyed it. Please rate and comment. The comments keep me going. And if you have questions feel free to send feedback. I'll try to answer. Thanks again to rileyworks and ash_legend for editing. You both made the story and the reading so much better.

It may be a while before my next posting. I'm working on 'Unrequited', and starting a new project called 'Beautiful,' It's the story of a woman traded in for a younger, thinner model. Can she accept that someone new in her life loves her just the way she is? They are both highly emotional pieces for me, and I can't wait to share them with you all. It's such a joy writing for this community.

Take care and be safe.