A Hero Emerges

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sir Philippe paused as he stood up slowly with a cocked smile. The knight's eyes widened as he called out to the cold-eyed Leonian, "Why do you look at me so with violence in your eyes, boy!? My words shouldn't upset you so if it weren't true. If you are foolish enough to try me, then come! Issue your challenge! I'll gladly show you a true warrior!"

"For a true warrior who values action over mere words, you enjoy the sound of your voice a little too much," Dante chuckled. "Boasting your supposed bravery, especially when it's not asked for, won't impress me. Though, if you really want to test my sword arm that badly then I can oblige you." --Dante gestured at his upper lip-- "I'll do you the favor of shaving that nasty brown turd hanging off your lip."

"You would dare...?" Sir Philippe's mustached lip jumped; his eyes filled with wild hatred. He stood ready to jump across the table to put his hands on the brazen young man's throat across from him. The knight reached for his sword as the Leonian stood up and responded in kind. Sir Philippe screamed, "You would dare!?"

"Sirs Dante and Philippe! Both of you! Stand down!" King Byron ordered.

"But my king! He--! My-my apologies, my king," Sir Philippe bowed curtly then sat back down. Lord Kyle, who had been sneering at Dante, turned his eyes away and feigned the most sudden and casual disinterest in the events transpiring around him. He sipped his mead slowly.

"The authenticity of their exploits are not for you to decide, Sir Philippe! That is my decision to make! Our Leonian and dwarf friends will both have the chance to prove whether they have worth or not. But until then they are honored guests of mine, and you will respect them as such!" King Byron glared. "I will not have my feasting hall become a battleground over some petty squabble! Next time, Sir Philippe, you'll sleep in the pig pens if you insist on acting like an animal! My sincerest apologies, Sir Dante! Sir Philippe means well, but he gets carried away sometimes. But they are just words, please do not take them personally. It is not worth the scandal."

"I can entertain this cur if he wants a fight," Dante crossed his arms and kept his eyes firmly on Sir Philippe who stared back quietly. "I'm ready, whenever."

Jarn looked straight ahead blankly as he whispered, "I know how you feel, boy... but don't get too carried away... If things get out of hand, it's better to leave. We are both outsiders here and if they turn on us... remember, we are alone right now. A scandal is not what we want."

King Byron groaned as he rested his forehead against his palm. "On my foolish subject's behalf, I personally apologize to you, Sir Dante. Please. I do not wish for trouble either for you or me. If Sir Philippe should offer you his sincere apologies, then could you find it in your heart to forgive and forget this incident? If not, simply tell me what price it would take for you to overlook this? Name it and I'll give it to you!"

King Byron stared down Sir Philippe whose eyes shifted around. With a restrained shake of his lip, he looked at Dante and stood up to proclaim with a firm hand to his heart, "Sir Dante! I offer you my most heartfelt apology! It was not my place to call your bravery, or your father's bravery into question. As a fellow warrior I understand how dear one's reputation is, that a warrior must protect their honor more fiercely than even his life. It was wrong to attack you in such a way. I take back everything I said! I shall be more mindful with my words and actions henceforth! My word!"

Everyone waited for Dante's response. Seconds felt like minutes as his stony eyes stayed glued on Sir Philippe whose mouth shrunk while he tried to meet the Leonian man's unmoving stare. Sir Philippe's gaze wavered before he shifted his eyes to the side and frowned. The warrior casually walked away from the great table.

"If he bows his head down to the ground in this spot..." Dante lifted his chin as he pointed in between his feet. Sir Philippe gave Dante a vicious glare and bared his teeth at the man who sneered back with a defiant head nod and a gesture to his lifted boot. "... and crawls across the floor to my foot in front of everyone here, then I'll consider his apology."

"Very well." King Byron sighed as he made a passing gesture. "Sir Philippe? Show your good will."

Sir Philippe stood up somberly though he kept a murderous glare on Dante. The room was utterly silent as Sir Philippe knelt down, one knee then the other. Dante cleared his throat as he stood in the middle of the hall and waved his foot. The knight crawled on all fours awkwardly as he kept his eyes on the ground. When the top of his head bumped into the bottom of Dante's extended foot, Dante responded by drilling his heel against the knight, "Bow your head lower ... Stay there! Good ... Hey! I didn't say you could raise your head yet! ... Okay. Now I accept your apology, Sir Philippe. You may stand."

"You've made a fatal mistake this day, boy, " Sir Philippe spoke in a low, dangerous tone as he stood. His proud eyes bore an expressionless look. "You have an enemy for life."

"Huh!? What was that?" Dante grinned as he leaned his face in sideways and theatrically held a hand by his ear, "I didn't quite catch that, Sir Philippe! Speak up!"

"I said nothing," Sir Philippe turned around without looking at the Leonian. He walked back to his seat before Dante strolled back casually to his seat.

"That... was a little more than necessary," Jarn spoke quietly as Dante sat down.

"I think it was all very necessary," Dante replied cheerily as he stretched his neck to release a few cricks.

"Is everything fine now? Will there be any more problems between you two?" King Byron crossed his arms.

"No, I think we're good. Right, Sir Philippe?" Dante smirked as the embittered knight glowered silently. Dante glanced at Lord Kyle who avoided his gaze, then he looked back at Sir Philippe who didn't once look away from the Leonian. Dante nodded, "Yeah, we're good."

"Then, as we were. So, Sir Dante, before there's a chance of any more interruptions, I'll get straight to the business on why I wish for you to be here," King Byron took a knife and gave himself generous helpings of mutton and duck, before drowning the pieces with a grand waterfall of gravy. "There are dark events that have shown themselves in my kingdom. And I speak of out of the ordinary incidents. Darker than your typical beast, darker even than your typical fiend.

"One of the hamlets of my kingdom has fallen to this darkness, and now, along with strange sightings, we have reason to believe it is spreading to the village of Reiwood to the northeast. As it stands, I do not have the full manpower ready to deal with this incident, since most of our forces are right now preparing for a dark elf invasion which we suspect will happen very soon. I already have asked the esteemed Sage Marlo to investigate it. He will soon be back with his report, and when he does we will discuss what course of actions we must take."

"Out of the ordinary incidents, you said?" Dante rested an elbow on the table.

"Yes, though we only have gotten this information from reports of the survivors. There have been sights of the dead arising and attacking the living, and wicked devils that warp reality and bring forth nightmares to life," King Byron paused from his gluttonous attack on the piece of meat on his plate. "That's what we have gathered, so far. And there have been repeated accounts of a strange sighting of a purple light that illuminates the deepest part of Mistwood during the night. Mistwood. Where these troubling incidents apparently all have originated from.

"I ask you, Sir Dante, please aid me in my time of need!" King Byron's booming voice echoed through the quiet halls. "If you are truly the warrior of prophecy as many claim you to be, then you surely will help the people of this land! I offer you what help I can provide."

"Will there be a reward?" Dante asked.

"Of course, you will be rewarded generously!" King Byron gestured grandly. "What ungrateful fool would I be if I didn't reward the man who would save my kingdom?"

"For the reward, then I ask for the White Stone of Draimos," Dante requested with a determined lowering of his brow.

"The Stone of--!? Very well. If you save my kingdom, then the stone is yours," King Byron proclaimed with a sigh.

"I accept the terms of your request," Dante replied, "I will do what I can to save your people. On my honor."

"Splendid!" King Byron grinned as he clapped his hands together, "You are welcome to stay in my manor as my guest until Sage Marlo returns from his investigations and you are all ready to embark. A toast to the warrior, Sir Dante!"

<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>

Chapter 6

The Teasing Princess

<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>

Liara strutted across the Palace floor in a flowing white halter dress with a slit that ran up to the side of her hip. Her satiny leg peaked through the slit on the side with each delicate step she took. The princess kept her smooth stride in a tight and narrow line with her head up and eyes purposefully forward. The hallways echoed with the clacking of her elegant crystal heels against the white and black marble floor. She glanced to the side at Maata'ra who was accompanying her in stride and sighed. Liara dreaded where she was going and the company she had did not help, but she was determined that it would be her confidence that shined. The princess would not let her mounting anxiety win.

"Princess!" An excited voice called out. It was the young man whose name Liara could not remember; Lo'so... ro? It was the dukeling.

"Oh?" Liara stopped and turned to greet the dukeling. She gave a soft little gasp as if shocked, then eased into a smile, "If it's not Lo... Lo'soro...?"

"Lou'roso," The dukeling grinned as he stopped in front of Liara while standing as upright as he could.

"Lou'roso. Hello." The princess rested her head to the side with her hand comfortably against her cheek and giggled. Perhaps he was just the distraction she needed to boost her mood.

Maata'ra tapped her foot and sighed. She cleared her throat and strolled over with a smooth, gliding gait and stared down Lou'roso with a hand on her turned hip.

The assassin spoke sweetly with her free hand out by her side, "dear, as much as the princess here and I would love to stop and chat, I'm afraid we have to turn you down." Maata'ra's eyes flashed with annoyance before they softened into a fake smile. "Please understand... we're a little busy right now."

"I am... Sorry? I'm not offending you, am I?" Lou'roso looked back at Maata'ra's eyes as she fixed them firmly on him.

"Mm? No, no... dear... You're not offending me at all," Maata'ra shook her head. She leaned forward smoothly with her hands sensually sliding across her thighs. "It is just that we have more urgent matters to attend to, so..." The dark elf assassin narrowed her wicked gaze on the young man, hugging her body. " ... find someone else to bother." The duke's son's eyes flickered across Maata'ra's face and body then darted away to the side. The corner of Lou'roso's lip twitched and he clenched his fist for a second before relaxing his hand. He couldn't meet Maata'ra's intense stare as she stood back upright in a slowly controlled and smooth manner. The dark elf assassin tilted her head in an almost demure fashion as her eyebrows lifted gently. "Now, could you be a good boy and please just...run along? Thank you."

"What? It's not like we're in that much of a rush, Maata'ra. Besides, he is not hurting anyone, so there's no need to be so rude," Liara cut an impish smirk at Maata'ra, before she looked back at Lou'roso with a modest smile. "I would love to talk for a bit, Lord Lou'roso ..."

Maata'ra stared at the princess as she crossed her arms and switched her stance with a hip swing to rest on her other leg. Her cold eyes didn't hide her annoyance as she lowered her head.

Maatara replied in a restrained but irritated tone, "Dear... We don't have time for this."

"You can go ahead without me," Liara locked eyes in a defiant challenge to Maata'ra's steely gaze. "I'll catch up shortly."

Both women silently stared each other down. Maata'ra sighed and uncrossed her arms.

The assassin clicked her tongue and spoke, "Finish up quickly. When you're done playing this little game with that boy, don't dawdle... Your father is not one to be kept waiting." Maata'ra glared. She strutted away with her hips swerving with a dancer's grace and rhythm. Her shoulders up and arms swung out in her typical manner.

"My apologies," Liara turned back to face the duke, Lou'roso. "My ... friend, Maata'ra? She... does not do well in dealing with people. Maata'ra's a little bit... reptilian."

"Yes, I can see that," Lou'roso looked to the side and cleared his throat. As Liara giggled with a slender hand gently covering her mouth, he smiled at her with eagerness. "I know that you have been busy these last few days, and that is why you have not had the chance to speak to me since Prince Krosimar's celebration, but when I saw you I had to say hello. So, how are you, princess?"

"I'm fine. Thank you..." Liara gave a teasing smile and a slight flutter of her eyelids. "And how are you, my lord?"

"I am doing well," Lou'roso smiled, "By the way, you look stunning today. I know you always get that, I am sure! But that hair piece looks lovely. And that necklace is quite beautiful on you."

Liara giggled and ran a fingertip across her cheek then delicately touched her hair brooch, a finely made jeweled flower with petals of light silver and encrusted diamond with its center of ruby. She wiggled her shoulders back and forth playfully as she played with her pendant, a shimmering crystal teardrop attached to a fine silver chain. "Thank you. They are heirlooms from my late mother... "

"Ah. So, the Spider Queen, Shilagami gave them to ..." Lou'roso's eyes shifted before he looked back with eyes filled with apprehension and hesitation. "Wait. You said your... late mother. You do not mean Alika the Traitor... Surely? ... I am misunderstanding here."

Liara sighed and crossed her arms. Perhaps he wasn't the distraction she hoped.

"Oh, well. They are, uh... nice heirlooms," The dukeling coughed as he gave a stand-offish smile and scratched his cheek. He looked away. "They're... lovely. I guess."

"Thank you," Liara glanced off to the side and tapped her foot.

Off in the distant part of the hallway Liara spotted Lord Suuro watching them intently. Liara looked back at Lou'roso, the dukeling, who grinned back with enthusiasm. Hmm... Maybe I can make something fun out of this after all.

Lou'roso spoke, "You know, Princess! You should really come visit my father's estate sometime, in Kroguata Gra. I know that you'll love it. It's quite grand, especially with the renovations we've made to it recently. I'd even say it rivals the Shadow Palace in its beauty and majesty."

"Oh...?" Liara rested her hand on her face and delicately tapped her finger against her cheek; she rested against one leg with a gentle tilt of her hips.

"Yes! And our servants are truly second to none. And don't believe the rumors going around about my father's domain get to you either. It's actually quite safe now after my father quelled the rebellions of the dwarf slaves and sub-citizens. And not only that ... "

Liara nodded enthusiastically, as she feigned interest in the dukeling and his continued prattling. The princess, with a gentle smile, ignored his occasional not-too-subtle glances down her body. She glanced over at Lord Suuro who didn't hide the vicious jealousy written across his snarling face. Liara couldn't help the mischievous grin that crept on her face as she looked back at the dukeling. Lou'roso's face beamed as he took her smile as encouragement.

"Well! If you think that's impressive, then let me tell you about... Uh..." The dukeling quieted down with a shocked look as Liara gently rested a fingertip on his lips.

"I'd love to keep this going, my lord, but I'm afraid that we must save this for another time... I have places to be, sadly..." Liara spoke in a soft, breathy tone as she leaned in slowly with a gentle smile and half open, fluttering eyes. She eased the dukeling's hanging mouth closed with a light pull of her fingertips against his chin as she kept her eyes intently locked on him, "Thank you for this lovely chat."

Liara pulled back with a gasp in time to avoid the dukeling's sudden attempt to attack her lips with his mouth. The dukeling stood back with a wincing look of irritation before he cleared his throat and smiled awkwardly. "Oh. Princess! I don't know what came over me. I ... was jesting, so please don't be angry."

Liara gave a stern look as she lightly tapped Lou'roso's nose to coax him back with her fingertip. She then smiled coyly and kept her finger on him as she turned her side to him.

She tenderly stroked his cheek as she spoke in an intimate whisper, "Good day... my lord."

"A-ah..." The dukeling stuttered. He shivered while he leaned his face onto the princess' hand hoping to keep the stimulating contact of her touch a second longer, as she gently ran her fingers across and away from his cheek then his chin. The enchanting scent of the princess' flowery sweet and delicately spicy perfume lingered on as a subtle, teasing embrace after her fingers departed away from the young duke's face. "Goo-good day... my princess."

Liara gave Lou'roso a playful smile with mirth and mischief in her eyes. She looked over her shoulder one last time at the grinning dukeling, before she strutted away down the hall. The princess could practically feel the dukeling's eyes on her as she let herself get into a comfortable walk, not caring wherever his eyes may have followed across her body... The attention flattered her, and the little game she played was amusing and empowering.

"Princess," Lord Suuro bowed courteously with an arm behind his back as the princess passed by with a straight face. Liara didn't even bother to acknowledge his existence.

As Liara felt Suuro's rapacious gaze on her, a little smile came back across her face. The dark elf princess could almost taste the delicious frustration and pain of rejection coming from the man who she enjoyed showing that he didn't have the privilege to exist near her. She couldn't help her satisfaction from the thought of his discouragement and impotent feelings.

Liara kept her chest upright and let her arms and hips swing sensuously in rhythm. Her legs naturally glided into her delicate, yet powerful narrow line as one foot landed with confidence right in front of the other. The sassy princess let her smile turn into a wicked grin, as she flowed with empowerment and control. She relished every second of satisfaction she could from her victorious little moment as she knew it would soon be gone once she reached her destination.

To Be Continued...