All Comments on 'A Holiday Ended'

by Topspot101

Sort by:
  • 278 Comments
other2other1other2other1about 1 year ago

A great effort for your first effort on one of the classic LW storylines. I enjoyed the denial that Joanne had throughout. It created a great tension that everyone but her saw the train wreck coming.

One thing that I would have like to see is some consequences for the couple that seduced Joanne away from her husband.

I look forward to seeing more of your works!

TajfaTajfaabout 1 year ago

It was good but the ending was a bit too short. Did the seducers have any consequences? Any regrets? Did they keep in touch with her? When did she get a light bulb moment? So much h more to tell but well done.

CharetteCharetteabout 1 year ago

i agree with Mr. Other , for a first , good work.

JusteenKJusteenKabout 1 year ago

Mostly well written but not hugely original. You never explained Joanne's motivation for her cheating and disrespect or how she found herself under the spell of the womaniser. A few too many holes in the plot for a high score. Not a bad first effort.

francemanfrancemanabout 1 year ago

Good first story even if it does seem a little too simplistic.

At this time, the wife is completely stupid.

She is warned that he does not want her to sleep, that he refuses to participate, that he prepares the probable divorce, he returns her wedding ring,.........And, she does not listen not.

My advice: develop your characters a little more, make them more complex.

JohnAmalfi4104JohnAmalfi4104about 1 year ago

Good first story, I look forward to more.

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958about 1 year ago

Welcome to Lit. Write another, please. Randi.

Bebop3Bebop3about 1 year ago

Congratulations on posting your first story! I look forward to reading your next.

KarnevilKarnevilabout 1 year ago

Not a bad effort, but nothing original. In a two page story we had half a page of backstory which had no relevance whatsoever. The actual plot starts when they discuss having children, anything of importance can be interwoven gradually during the action.

Give the characters more depth. I grew tired of Brandon within the boring backstory. He was just too good, with very little emotion and spoke like he was reading a script. The same with Joanne. Are there really any women that dumb, or that selfish? I very much doubt it. Her actions would have been much more believable had she taken notice of Brandon's reluctance. Then if you still want her portrayed as a real cheat and slut, have her being more discreet. As it is I think it unlikely that any normal person would be that blatant with their nefarious behaviour.

Try to steer away from clichés. Yes they work but too many and it becomes boring, and just one can sometimes kill a story, eg. Black men with giant cocks, or wives who suddenly discover giant cocks. Wives who announce they are going on a date with another man. Or, as in this case, cheated on husbands who find the perfect woman completely out of the blue.

The writing was good but the narrative was sometimes a little stodgy, not really lifelike or natural. But overall it kept the interest. Unfortunately the ending was much too predictable, it was merely a case of how much payback Brandon would take, which in this case was hardly any.

A lot of this may sound negative but I think the good outweighed the bad. If its a by the numbers, let's keep everyone happy, tried and tested tale you want, then keep to this formula. But if you want a better story, Its really just the need to be more realistic with your characters and their actions.

WhackdoodleWhackdoodleabout 1 year ago

I stopped reading when you put a qualified electrician in a desk job with zero goddamn experience.

First, he would work as an apprentice: 10 months work, 2 months trade school….NOT college. Unless he challenged the exams, it will take him 4 years but he will be an electrician, not a paper pusher: that belongs to actual engineers.

If you can’t even get trades right, how do you expect us to believe the rest of the story is any good?

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 1 year ago

A very typical loving wives story which by that. I mean to say it's convoluted and it's dramatic and it doesn't make any sense.

.

SexecutionerSexecutionerabout 1 year ago

Far too nice to the betraying slut. Far too many writers here love portraying husbands as too forgiving after divorce. Don't be one of those...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

The dreaded Martian slut ray in use again

servant111servant111about 1 year ago

Really good one. Look forward to more. Tale could have beer better with more angst from the husband’s side. Another would to include some perspective from the wife’s side.

4 stars

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I enjoyed your first work. Commendable.

Ed

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

How come a woman respects her man and want to carry his child suddenly turned to slut and want to sleep with other in their vacation? How stupid?!

HmmtwodogsHmmtwodogsabout 1 year ago

Well done, good story and an easy read. Keep going, I’m sure you’ll write bigger and better stories

buzzsawlennybuzzsawlennyabout 1 year ago

If the moment the guy started rubbing sunblock on her he woulda tore the old guy a new asshole, then it woulda went away as it woulda been more trouble than it was worth. If he continues a punch in the nose every time you saw him woulda either drove the point home, or got you both kicked out of the resort. Both of those are preferred to what happened here. I hate having to resort to violence when she should be acting respectfully but obviously taking the high road didn't work for the MC here.

PencarrowPencarrowabout 1 year ago
THOSE DARSTARDLY SWINGERS AND THEIR SLUT RAYS

This happens all the time - a young couple in love pass a table of older swingers and before you can say "slut ray" one appears and the young wife is fucking the older, smooth, and suave Frenchman and then she wonders why her husband has left her just when they were planning a family. Yep, an everyday occurence (not).

A good trope when it's a bit more believable, which this wasn't. But thanks for the story because I still enjoyed it.

chrisr357chrisr357about 1 year ago

An excellent first effort. How about a part two where Brandon's Ex FiL who is a retired Marine goes after Filipe and Elizabeth and extracts revenge for maliciously destroying his daughter's marriage

miket0422miket0422about 1 year ago

It's a given that most LW stories aren't very plausible.

This one takes about t to a new level. From the minute Felipe appears he spots Joanne he picks her out and the moment Joanne years his voice she's lost and starts listening to everything he says no matter how clear hubby is that she's destroying their marriage. Usually this scenario requires days, if not weeks or months of someone whispering this concept in the wife's ear without hubby being aware of it before she's convinced she can have her fun and hubby will allow it because he loves her so much. Instantly from the moment they meet? Not so much.

Also, a woman who has been on the pill for years would not think she can flush them Thursday night and start trying to get pregnant Friday.

BigfundrewBigfundrewabout 1 year ago

enjoyed your story, but felt it needed a bit more. To repeat others, I would have like consequences (or at least a reaction) of some sort for the other couple and their laissez faire attitude about destroying some one else's marriage (see what I did there?)

BigfundrewBigfundrewabout 1 year ago

I enjoyed your story, but felt it needed a bit more. To repeat others, I would have like consequences (or at least a reaction) of some sort for the other couple and their laissez faire attitude about destroying some one else's marriage (see what I did there?)

The Style GuyThe Style Guyabout 1 year ago

I enjoyed your first story and hope there are more in the pipeline. TSG

kencorokencoroabout 1 year ago

Liked the part where the husband 'snitched' to the in-laws. Most other authors gave excuse to their characters for not doing it out of 'respect' towards the in-laws.

Felipe and Elizabeth could have a follow up.

The one big hole was Elizabeth after her date didn't go through. Plenty of questions about that.

Carioca_ManCarioca_Manabout 1 year ago

Well live!!! A new writer, where his male character, in addition to having a backbone, has balls between his legs. And it does not admit disrespect.

From the moment he found out that his bitch wife was running behind his back, he hadn't been condescending, slack, or emasculated. Showed the slut who would soon become an ex-wife.

And it followed that premise. I even agree that the couple of idiots who promoted the mess, left unharmed... But as I always point out, who is committed to their vows is the spouse. Anyone outside the marriage owes nothing to either of them. And looking at it that way, they must have been in some pain, if not physical, then at least emotional. But leave it for another time... Karma always catches up, who deserves it.

I made this story one of my favorites, and I gave it 4 stars... It wasn't 5, because it lacked a little more pain and consequences, being spread... But it was a good size.

Waiting for new works.

But that's just my opinion.

cordialddcordialddabout 1 year ago

Yes, a good first story. You spent a lot of effort on his background that had little bearing on the plot of the story. Just actions--not much information on how Felipe and Elizabeth thought or how Joanne developed her unfaithful decision. A common plot theme that will continue to see variations; your story has good bones but the meat was a little thin. Keep working--you're well ahead of most!

Storyteller0112Storyteller0112about 1 year ago

Loving Wives is a great category to have your story read, but a difficult one if you are seeking positive feedback and/or high ratings. I prefer the latter, so I don't write in LW. As Mr. Other noted, this is a commendable first effort. The ending did seem a bit rushed. I think you could have extended the relationship development period with Elaine. 4 stars.

BrentJWBrentJWabout 1 year ago

Another Martian Slut Ray story. No credible reason as to how the long loving wife suddenly became so stupid.

BrentJWBrentJWabout 1 year ago

Another Martian Slut Ray story. No credible reason as to how the long loving wife suddenly became so stupid.

WellplayedsirWellplayedsirabout 1 year ago

If she would have approched me after all that time, I would have flipped her the finger.

goodshoes2goodshoes2about 1 year ago

I agree with other2other1. Good story, but needs a bit more expansion on some of the characters, and a rousing kick in the ass to the French couple.

WellplayedsirWellplayedsirabout 1 year ago

If she would have approched me after all that time, I would have flipped her the finger.

FireFox59FireFox59about 1 year ago

Pretty good first story. My only problem is that the French asshole and his wife didn't get any punishment. That's a big story killer for me. People like them don't need to be left breathing. Otherwise I enjoyed your story.

BeBopper99BeBopper99about 1 year ago

4* Good first start. However, if your MC really wanted to save his marriage, he would have met that French lover one-on-one and given a swift kick to the gonads. That automatically prevents sex.

TechumsahTechumsahabout 1 year ago

Not a bad first effort at all. The only thing missing is the why? How could she blow off what her husband of five years was saying. You wrote him pretty straightforward so she should of at least taken pause. Don't beat your self up though it is hard to find a why for these plot lines that is believable so not knowing works as well.

someoneothersomeoneotherabout 1 year ago

First time authors are not exempt from what is hopefully constructive criticism. First, do some research before you write stories. A major motif here is that wife can get pregnant the day after she stopes taking the pill. That is plainly incorrect. A woman cannot get pregnant for 1-3 months after ceasing the pill. Second, the story internally inconsistent. There is no explanation for Joanne's behavior, and then author has Joanne giving husband the finger. That is totally out of character and require some build-up. Finally, when Joanne saw husband leaving, why did she expect him for breakfast? Anyhow, story has no originality, but follows standard plot lines with the now-ubiquitous "I will come back as the old me and everything will be as before" line.

Forto02Forto02about 1 year ago

May be simple, but I liked it. May be a repeated storyline, but I liked it.

First effort? .../Outstanding!

Please keep writing.

Big_Tim99Big_Tim99about 1 year ago

She got a big case of the Stupids.

afanoffanlitafanoffanlitabout 1 year ago

Some rough spots, but really good. Thanks for sharing

Carioca_ManCarioca_Manabout 1 year ago

Well live!!! A new writer, where his male character, in addition to having a backbone, has balls between his legs. And it does not admit disrespect. From the moment he found out that his bitch wife was running behind his back, he hadn't been condescending, slack or emasculated. Showed the slut who would soon become an ex-wife. And it followed that premise. Until I agree that the couple of idiots who promoted the mess, left unharmed... But as I always point out, who is committed to their votes is inclusion. Anyone outside the marriage owes nothing to either of them. And looking at it that way, they must have been in some pain, if not physical, then emotional. But leave it for another time... Karma always catches up, who deserves it. I made this story one of my favorites, and I gave it 4 stars... It wasn't 5, because it lacked a little more pain and consequences, being explained... But it was a good size. Waiting for new works. But that's just my opinion.

SlithyToveSlithyToveabout 1 year ago

Nice effort for a first story, very consistent throughout.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcabout 1 year ago

I applaud your first effort! Couple things of note - First, it's just a pet peeve of mine and others do it, but try not to mix cultural differences between the US and UK. There were several aspects of the character development that were "culturally" inaccurate in how the US works rather UK. Example is companies do not have accredited internal universities here to get a EE degree. Apprenticeships, yes, but not a degree. I enjoy when writers place the context of their story in their native land. It gives me just a little insight into life in another country/culture. Again, just a peeve of mine. Second, the characters' interactions have to match the plot lines you setup at the start of the tale. You present a loving couple with a solid marriage, excited about a holiday (vacation in the US - LOL) where the wife is going to get pregnant for the first time. First contact with a stranger and all that pretext is tossed? Just doesn't work. You can get us there, but you need to fill in the depth to make it plausible. As others have commented, after a decent buildup you rush us through major plot lines like they are a checklist with no justification why we should believe they link together. Hopefully, my comments make some sense and help you grow. 3*

Just_WordsJust_Wordsabout 1 year ago

Excellent story. It took a while for the seduction to work, but she was moving in that direction from the start. Ordinarily, I would expect a wife who cheats to first be thrown together with him for a time until the seduction surprises her, but she was in the game from the start. This makes me think she is either very weak willed or flat out delusional. Either way, she was too easily seduced and he is lucky it happened before they started a family.

demanderdemanderabout 1 year ago

Nice start. This is a common story line, but incredible. No woman is that stupid. Normally, it takes some ambivalence on the husband's part to make the whole thing believable. Anyway, once his wife makes an announcement that she wants the other guy, he should simply tell her that the marriage is over. D

timrivtimrivabout 1 year ago

He could have stopped at the very beginning by beating the crap out of Phillipe. But he didn’t so in my opinion he didn’t really care that much about Joanne. She had got a case of the stupids but he had a week to stop things and didn’t. The only winner was the French frog who got laid without repercussions.

MormonJackMormonJackabout 1 year ago

1st story? Wow, excellent effort. I hope you'll write more. Thank you!

KRD19254KRD19254about 1 year ago

Top you did real good and Other nailed it.

\

I did not understand this line "Elaine and I had been to a scan" and then it got a little choppy.

\

From a fellow newbie writer (under a different pen-name) but a long time reader that has mild dyslexia a lil' advice; read your story out-loud - be surprised what jumps out at you - then put a week between edits 2 & 3. You will never get it perfect each edit you will want changes. If you can find a proof read - use them... Use MS-Word for writing/sharing.

\

LW genre has guru's that like to rip writers up - so blow them off and flip them the bird. In LW, a rating above 4.0 = HOT! Looking forward to your next story... I'm going to Follow you.

\

4.8⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐. Hooyah, Salutes....

driv2u2driv2u2about 1 year ago

Ending a bit predictable

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Looks like u were on drugs when u wrote it! Why would Joanne suddenly come after eight years and make that statement? Are u stupid?

bobareenobobareenoabout 1 year ago

I liked the story. However, the ex wife shows up years later to take her ex home? It made no sense. Also, what was the delay until Friday about? Felipe could have sex with her throughout, since she was clearly available and was going to do it regardless. That aspect of the tale also lacked a rational basis. Nevertheless, the tale kept me reading.

hobie1010hobie1010about 1 year ago
Good first story

I agree with one of my favorite authors on the site other2other1, that we needed to hear more from her side after what happened and the consequences of Felipe and his wife.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

The story was ruined by the ending! Joanne, that already had hidden mental problems, has finally let out her craziness over the years after the divorce so she would never behave like that! From there she only had one way: committed to a mental institute! 3*

AngelRiderAngelRiderabout 1 year ago

No one is this stupid, arrogant and entirely narcissistic without some evidence of aberrant behavior before. And if they are, they certainly do not respect their spouse enough to proceed to embarrass themselves to the point of begging, pleading and carrying on after publicly humiliating their spouse repeatedly.

The story needs more character development to offer explanations for the outrageous behavior.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Not bad, not great, good effort for a first time. Ended a bit abruptly, didn’t really flesh out the character of Joanne in terms of why she was going to cheat.

That’s not how birth control works, you’re not fertile as soon as you stop taking it, and you don’t have a set of backup pills. Felipe or Filipe? Costed?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Good story. Only a 3 because no retribution for Felipe and his slut wife.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I think Joanne is one card shy of a full deck . She was given ample warning and not subtlety at that yet she persisted with her marital suicide . What a selfish foolish idiot she morphed into at the sight of mr slick and his pathetic womanizing shallow charms .

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

So sad

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 1 year ago

"If you try this macho crap, I will never forgive you and our marriage will be finished." - I had to laugh when he laughed when she said she'd divorce him if he didn't go along, because he said exactly what I was thinking: How can you threaten to divorce someone who is ready to divorce you?

RzcanuckRzcanuckabout 1 year ago

Very good for your first story. I look forward to more.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Good first story, you avoided the navy seal nija warrior smarter than Stephen Hawking husband trap and the crap that goes with it. Write On

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Very flat ending

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Sorry man, but you didn’t explore a thing. This is just basic, cookie-cutter BTB infantilism.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Gut zu lesen und sehr unterhaltsam. Weiter so!

Mac_LapuMac_Lapuabout 1 year ago

Eight years?!

I think it was stupid for Joanne to wait that long she should have moved on.

Ah well, she was stupid enough to 'flipped a finger' at her marriage.

So there. The woman's IQ when it cames to lust became -- ZERO.

Thanks Mr. Topspot101 for this sad story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

A very good start. Could have used more substance especially at the ending. I hope to see more from you.

CptAmeripantsCptAmeripantsabout 1 year ago

Decent first foray into the LW category. I think you have some potential.

Couple of things: it's a little far-fetched. If they've been married for 5 years and together for longer than that, the subject of fidelity must have come up. They should very much both know where they stand.

The way it sounds, she doesn't believe it's a big deal even if it's been discussed. She doesn't even question it a little, even when she knows he's been talking to a divorce attorney.

I don't care how attractive or charming someone is. A divorce attorney should at least have given her pause; but it doesn't seem like it affected her at all. She even gives him the finger on his way out.

The second thing: why would she just show up out of the blue 8 years later and just assume he would want her back? How did she find him when he made sure to make it hard for her to find him when he left her? Did she not at least try to look him up to see what he's doing with his life?

It feels like you just shoe-horned that in to give us some justice, but I found myself rolling my eyes at the epilogue.

I also agree that some justice against the swingers would have been nice. They got away clean as a whistle. I know that happens a lot more in real life, but with all of his prepping before that Friday, you would think he would have tried to find a way to take them down a peg.

All-in-all though, it's a good first story. Keep it up and make sure you're taking people's constructive criticism to heart. I've seen too many other authors who have potential ignore people who are trying to offer good advice and their stories end up tanking.

A good example of this is Splashdown which was pretty recent. I wouldn't bother reading the chapters, but take a look at the comments.

Keep it up! I look forward to reading more from you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Always find this "flavor" of Loving Wives story rather stupid. The wife suddenly takes the word of a complete stranger over that of their husband of x years and becomes single minded in their belief that cheating won't _in anyway_ change their relationship, as if they don't know their spouse any better than the tempting hot stranger. Decently written first story, too short, don't really get any true emotional investment.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Quite good until Elaine showed up-such a formulaic ending.

The author should have explained why Joanne was so anxious to stay married to Brandon. She didn't share his values and many other guys would.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Women can’t actually be that dumb right? He tells her exactly what will happen if she cheats on him and she doesn’t immediately tell Pierre to get lost?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

The story is highly derivative, so very little happens that is not anticipated. The storyline has a number of awkward points, which could be addressed. It’s not unusual for stories of this ilk, but besides the Martian Slut Ray, it’s difficult to understand Joanne’s behavior. Mr. Other is very supportive, but I’m not sure how many stories the author has read in this genre. Reading stories that Mr. Other has written, as well as some of the other top authors in LW might be helpful. I applaud the author’s efforts and hope that he finds the following points helpful:

“He is not qualified, but makes a good living.” Huh? Who would hire an electrician who isn’t qualified?

“the salary was way beyond of what I was expecting.” Delete “of.”

“I closed my eyes, took her hand and pulled her in.” Might be easier to find her hand with his eyes open.

“Joanne and my relationship progressed quickly…” Awkward. Maybe “My relationship with Joanne…” or “Our relationship…”

Brandon is expecting a promotion and relocation, but never discusses that possibility with Joanne prior to marriage? So, when the possibility of relocating arises after two years of marriage, she’s surprised? That seems highly unlikely.

Consistent with that lack of discussion, the couple had never discussed having children until Joanne’s mom brings it up? That, too, seems highly unlikely.

“We went for the transit through Dallas, as it was daytime flights, and with time zones, we would leave midday on the Saturday and be home for 7:00pm that same day.” I think what you meant is that the return flight would be the following Saturday.

I’m not at all sure about the reasoning behind waiting until Wednesday of their vacation to stop taking the pill. After stopping the pill, hormone levels take a while to return to normal (3-7 days?). Is the intent to become pregnant while on vacation? If so, then why not stop taking the pill just before departure? It seems like a clunky plot device, rather than a decision an actual couple might make.

“I intend to make full use of the facilities you offer.” What a romantic, smooth-talking guy Brandon is!

“Working on the basis that if this played out all week, the chances were Friday, our last night, would be the big play.” I don’t understand why the MC thought that nothing would happen before Friday. Why would Felipe/Joanne wait that long? Sure, it fits neatly with the author’s plot, but nothing I read made it seem likely that it would take Joanne that long to stray.

“Both flights costed less than a hundred dollars, so I booked them, hoping I had just wasted the money.” “Both flights cost less…”

“…what Elizabeth just describes as the 'inevitable'.” described

Felipe becomes Filipe for a while

And then, nothing happens Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday. The author basically says that, but that’s a lot of unfilled dead space. It’s difficult to believe that nothing at all happened worth reporting. Awkward…and maybe a bit unbelievable.

Grant_GlapsvidhrsonGrant_Glapsvidhrsonabout 1 year ago

Great first story. The ending could have been a bit more solid and seemed a bit rushed, but a great first submission and, please, keep 'em coming!

Pappy7Pappy7about 1 year ago

I think not too bad over all. Story has been done to death but that is what this format is all about. I know a lot of people who, once they get an idea in their heads or have a craving for something forbidden, just can't let it go despite good arguments that they should. This is a step or two farther but not out of the realm of possibility.

MarkTwineMarkTwineabout 1 year ago

The wife character acted like she had a frontal lobotomy and was incapable of processing thoughts. The husband left the island about a week too late.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

great story,keep writing your stories your way.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Great 1st attempt. Keep up the good work. Thank you for your time and talent. DMW

Doucar1Doucar1about 1 year ago

Nice first story

Please write more

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Great 1st attempt. Keep up the good work. Thank you for your time and talent. DMW

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Very good, especially for a first story. The epilogue was a bit abrupt and lacked the emotion from the rest of the story, but I guess you can get away with that in an epilogue.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Decent first story. Several things I didn't like. First he should have went nuclear at the resort and took everything Joanne had with him so she was stranded with no clothes, money, or passport. Second there needed to be some consequences for Felipe and his wife. Third the ending after an 8 year period is ridiculous.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Writing was a bit choppy, but great to read a story about a man who has self-respect and backbone. Joanne really was a stupid bitch. Only big flaw, 8 years later in the epilogue way too long for her to try and "bring him home."

mattenwmattenwabout 1 year ago

Why is he kissing the whore and saying thank you?

Surely no woman can be as idiotic as you portray your protagonist?

What I missed in your story are the real feelings. I think it's good that he stayed clear and didn't lose his line, but I always had the feeling: why are the two of them married at all? 4* because it's your starting story!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

It's still nothing but another story where the wife is a fucking moron. He repeatedly tells her how he's going to react and she's surprised he reacted exactly as he said he would. If anything, you may have done this more than the usual cliche. This doesn't create tension, it creates parody.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Good stuff. I thought it was great, but I wonder why she persisted with planning to cheat, even when it became obvious he wouldn't tolerate it. Also, why was he so bloody polite to all of them, throughout the whole story?

.

What would help all these types of stories, is to find a valid reason for why she fooled herself into believing she could do it and avoid the promised dire consequences... otherwise, she's just incredibly obtuse and, frankly, stupid.

.

Thank goodness for the holiday, right? Otherwise, she'd have been the mother of his children and they'd all be born with her "maximum stupidity" genes!

.

I'd like to have seen more emotion from the husband; he was way more kinder and balanced than he should be under those circumstances. I think the husband would have been furious, horrified, and in shock from what his wife was doing. That usually means not kind and not polite. But maybe that's just me. 4.5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Just another story where the wife is a fucking moron. Having him repeatedly telling her how he will will react -- possibly more than the norm for this cliche -- and her being surprised that he acted exactly as he said he would isn't tension, it's parody.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Good first story.

I like main character stayed focuses on getting his wife to not cheat and the getting a clean divorce to move on and start over. I do not see a problem with the French couple not being punished. That is part of life.

TheArtfulCodgerTheArtfulCodgerabout 1 year ago

Fellipe has to pay a price for being a dick, a beat down, a STD.... something.

phill1cphill1cabout 1 year ago

I'm annoyed that the first wife waited 8 years only to be turned away. Seems unrealistic. If this woman can get someone like Felipe, she ain't going to be pining for any man for 8 years.

Just not believable...

DazzyDDazzyDabout 1 year ago

-damn! Up against the wall you red neck,DazzyD

- m....

hardworker5556hardworker5556about 1 year ago

I liked it a lot. Well-written, good plot (ignore the comments about it being cliche - it's still a good plot), sufficient character development, enough sex. Please keep writing!

MissMudMissMudabout 1 year ago

Good first story. I liked it. His wife was an idiot. Not an unusual case in stories on this site. Keep them coming!

Rw43Rw43about 1 year ago

A very good first effort. It’s a commonly used plot device because [one would think] this is a common monogamy trap—exotic locations and exotic persons create exotic experiences for some, not so much for others. You avoided the trap of too much irrelevant detail, but probably could have included more detail in the context of how they interacted throughout the week to either heighten or relieve the tension leading up to Friday’s climactic decision.

<>

Yes, the wife lived in ultimate denial all week, but I can’t help but think that daily activities with her husband would have accentuated how much they had previously been committed to each other. If her denial is based on a religious belief in the words of Elizabeth the false prophetess—“trust me, honey, that’s what they all say; he’ll get over it”—then the Gospel according to Brandon came in the form of the scene with the wedding ring and the warning re divorce proceedings. Those came too late; in short, it seemed that your protagonist’fought’ for his marriage but not very effectively.

<>

I would also think Brandon overlooked two resources that could have preserved her monogamy and hence, their marriage: 1) the resort management never wants his/her resort to become infamous for promiscuous packs of predatory persons preying on erstwhile monogamists. No matter how frequently they attend, or how much they spend, this reputation will cost them business unless the resort actually caters to that behavior, which should have been obvious before the reservations were finalized. I’m not saying the resort would have punished one guest or protected another, but they could have moved one, given alternative accommodations, etc. None of which would have worked had Joanne continued to undermine her husband, but it would have been one more layer of “I’m trying to protect our marriage and you’re not.”

<>

And 2) he waited too long to call her mom. This should have preceded the divorce research, because it would have prevented it.

ReedRichardsReedRichardsabout 1 year ago

The biggest problem with this story -- and it's a common one in LW -- is that the wife is portrayed as being absolutely boneheadedly stupid, an idiot, dumb as a box of rocks.

.

Women really aren't that stupid. If she really, really, really wanted to fuck Felipe, she could have done it surreptitiously, when her husband was out playing golf. She had already been told what would happen if she fucked him, and maybe, maybe she believes that he'd just get over it, but she'd also be smart enough to at least try to keep it from him.

.

Another problem is that we aren't given any real reason she fell totally in lust with Filipe. Unless we are to just assume the Martian Slut Ray, there's got to be some sort of reason, even if a fanciful one.

.

Of course, real swingers understand that not every couple is interested in swapping, and a couple as experienced as Filipe and his wife would, at the first rejection by the husband, go looking elsewhere. Even though they didn't face any consequences, persisting in something like this could have led to consequences, including some pretty nasty ones, and real swingers know that. Sometimes single men get persistent, but not swingers.

nestorb30nestorb30about 1 year ago

Honestly very few women are this stupid, yes I know it's an LW trope. Story was well written if a bit mechanical. Characters could have been developed more

Thanks for writing

robinhodrobinhodabout 1 year ago

First story? Excellent.

It's a shame it closely follows another with a similar theme. ie, stupid woman, intent on wrecking her marriage, and then regretting. Could be real. The world has many stupid people.

xtc5xtc5about 1 year ago

4+ from me. Thanks and I look forward to reading more of your tales.

OOAAOOAAabout 1 year ago

Nice story! 5 stars from here! Congratulations for your first one!!!

Escape_WithinEscape_Withinabout 1 year ago

I am one of the lurkers (readers) who only comments when the material strikes a chord or emotion. This a great first offering. Thank you for having the courage to do it. As some have suggested more details could have been offered. Whether it is a "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas." thought process or "a forgiveness rather than permission" direction, it was just enough to make me the vicarious angry husband. For that I applaud. Conjecture by the reader is great and mine is in line. "Side with others against your husband, and you will find you don't have one." Keep up the work. Add the details, I will be looking to get rightful angry (invoked emotion) with your next offering.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Good story with a very rational MC, and a wife very assured of herself. I am going to rate it tops, although a bit more intensity would have been nice, say, some good sex (the incident, or say, before leaving for vacay, or the wife trying to convince him before things are too seriously wrong).

The third way of thinking through these problems was not mentioned, when the divorce happens BECAUSE the wife was so seriously considering cheating without hubby or his consent.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous