A Holiday From Tragedy

Story Info
Grateful Young Widower Takes His Sultry Mother on Vacation.
11.2k words
4.71
72.6k
126
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The streaks of raindrops on the kitchen window reflected the dull light of that grey afternoon. The last of the mourners were leaving but Nick Maguire could not muster the energy to see them out. He just stared at that window, his own reflection blankly staring back. Suitably, the raindrops ran down the face of his reflection, washing his sallow skin in tears. Unable to contemplate his future, all he could do was immerse himself in pain.

"That's the Jennings' gone, Nick if you don't mind, I better get home to the kids. Will you be okay with Bobby and Liah?" Fiona, Nick's older sister was already putting on her coat as she spoke to him from the hallway. He snapped out of his daze.

"Yes, of course, I'm fine, I'm fine. You go ahead Fiona; I will catch up with you tomorrow." Nick wasn't fine and Fiona knew this. Even still she could not play babysitter forever, she had her own family to take care of. She also had another piece of, perhaps slightly unwelcome, news.

"Oh, and Mom said she would drop by later on to give you a hand." Fiona wore an apologetic grimace as she said this. "I know, you need that like a hole in the head."

Nick turned to face his sister. "It's okay, she means well." Nick loved his mother, but she was not a practical woman. The thought of having to take care of her along with the two young children for the evening was daunting.

It had been 4 days since Maria died. 4 days since his bright beautiful wife of almost five years succumbed to a short, shocking illness. 4 days since the perfect life they had built, happily married at twenty-three, two children, an impressive home, was all torn apart. They had the wake, the funeral, the burial. The friends, relations, neighbours had all come and gone. Now Nick was about to be thrust into the life of a single parent, and he hadn't even thought about how he would cope. He knew he would need help, and Fiona had provided that help so far, but with her own responsibilities that always had a limit.

Anna Maguire, Nick's mother, had stayed with Fiona for the funeral, but she had messaged ahead to tell Nick that she would be staying with them tonight. This news was met with little enthusiasm from Nick, who found himself preparing the spare room while trying to feed the children that evening. It was a small room with a single bed, but it would do for one night.

Nick loved his mother, but she was far from the typical granny figure. Anna married young and had two children before divorcing at just 26. After the divorce she moved back in with her own parents, and from there they were the ones who took main responsibility for raising Fiona and Nick. Making up for lost time, Anna enrolled in college, got a degree and then a job. She still lived at home until Nick finished school.

Just as Nick was starting college, Anna met Harry, the boorish wealthy financier from London. And it really was true love. Anna loved the glamorous city lifestyle -- the style, the night life, and of course the money -- and who could blame her, having spent her youth in a miserable marriage raising children, she earned the right to have fun. For his part Harry, a single man in his mid-fifties who knew that his most attractive feature was his bank balance, loved having a beautiful, intelligent younger woman on his arm.

After just twelve months there was a proposal, six more, a wedding, two years later, the inevitable divorce. Anna acknowledged a sadness in how it turned out, but admitted she had few regrets. The relationship had opened her eyes to a new world, and, as part of the divorce settlement, she received a quite plush apartment in London. There she had built a life for herself, only returning home to see her children, and soon grandchildren, a few times a year.

A knock echoed through the house followed by the sound of a door opening. "Hello!"

Nick walked out to the hallway to see designer luggage resting inside the open door. Carrying a further bag, Anna tottered in on her delicate black heels. She wore a form fitting two-piece sleeveless black outfit. Tight fitting it hugged her slender figure, and the skirt finished above her knees to show black fishnet tights beneath.

"Mom the funeral is over, you don't have to keep dressing like Morticia Adams," Nick said sarcastically, the closest thing to a humorous comment he had made in days.

"Darling, this is style," she said smirking, happy to see a crack in her handsome son's melancholy. Weariness from the preceding days was written all over Nick's appearance, but he somehow, his unshaven face had the look of designer stubble, his unkempt shock of black hair resembled an effortless coolness, even his crinkled white shirt looked almost deliberate.

"Granny!" Bobby came rushing out of the kitchen, covered in flour, and wrapped a hug around Anna.

"We're making pancakes," Nick smiled almost laughing.

"Right," said Anna, looking down in horror to see her dress destroyed in flour and pancake mix. She forced a smile, "Maybe I will just get changed very quickly, then I will join you."

That evening, Anna shared pancakes with Nick and the kids, but she was quick to help with the cleaning up and, to Nick's relief, took responsibility for putting them to bed.

That night Nick slept properly for the first time he could remember, indeed he slept in. It was nearly ten when he woke up, then he realised 'oh no the kids.

Nick went into the kitchen in trepidation but was pleasantly surprised to find his mother busy cleaning up while the children were drawing pictures at the table.

"Have you had your porridge?" Nick inquired.

"Granny burned the porridge," Bobby offered, "we had chocolate for breakfast".

Nick turned to Anna with a look of puzzlement.

"Chocolate spread on croissants!" Anna explained. "Sorry Nicholas, I'm not great with pots and pans. I saw you had croissants in the press and thought they might do."

"It's fine." Nick smiled. "They deserve a treat. Thanks Mom". Nick knew all about his mother's lack of cooking skills, but was pleasantly surprised by the effort that she was putting in.

Later that morning she informed him that she would stay for a few more days, and Nick was happy with that. This helped him to get back to work, and again Anna extended her stay.

More time passed and soon they were in a routine. Anna was taking on the role of full-time childminder, and Nick was able to start putting his life back together. And with each passing day, Anna became more like the doting granny, and less like the femme fatale from the city -- even her cooking improved. She kept some independence - her small room at least had a separate bathroom. Every now and then, Nick would ask "what about Chelsea?" referring to her London flat, but Anna had that covered. Her friend was a property manager, and he was using it for short term holiday rentals, giving Anna a nice little income.

Three months later, one Saturday afternoon, Fiona was visiting and chatting with Anna in the sitting room when the sound of shouted expletives came from the kitchen. They both decided to go and find out what was up.

"Bastards. Sorry Mum for the language but they are bastards." Nick was furious. The women stared at him blankly, he realised that he had to explain. "A reminder went off on my phone this morning. Shortly before she got sick, Maria booked a holiday for the two of us, to celebrate our fifth anniversary. With everything that happened I had completely forgotten about it. So, I got on to the airline and the hotel, neither of them will give me a refund. The hotel said it was too late, but at least they would allow me to change the booking and give it to somebody else. The airline though, the pricks, they won't let you change the name on the flights unless you pay a fee that costs more than the flights themselves."

"When is the holiday?" Fiona asked.

"Next week!" Nick was exacerbated. "I was thinking I would pass it on to you and Mike since you are both off for the summer, but the bastards won't let me change the names. I argued with them that it should not matter, since we hadn't given our passport details yet, but they just said it was policy -- policy to rip people off!"

"You should still go, God knows you need a break," Fiona reasoned.

"The holiday is in some resort near Nice. Maria handled all the booking, but I'm sure it will be full of couples. If I go, there by myself I will look like the saddest man in the world." Nick was having none of it.

Fiona turned to Anna, "Mom you should go with him, we can mind the kids while you are away -- come to think of it Maria had actually asked me about this anyway."

"Nice idea Fiona," Nick interjected, "but what about the airline?"

"What name is the booking under?" Fiona asked.

"Maria Maguire and Nicholas Maguire." Nick replied.

"Mom what name is on your passport?" Fiona quizzed. Anna's eyes lit up.

"Anna Maria Maguire," she gasped. "I'm sure that would work. But I can't. The children need me here. Nicholas, get your money back on the hotel, I will pay for a trip away for you and your friends instead, maybe golfing or a rugby match or something."

"No way Mom." Nick hugged his sister, "Fiona, you're a genius. Mom, you have been brilliant this last few months, you have given up everything to help me out. Let me give something back."

Anna blushed. A holiday on the Riviera was exactly her scene. It was agreed.

It was a hot dusty day on the Mediterranean coast as the taxi made its way from the airport to the address on the booking that Nick had handed to the driver. From looking at his bank balance, he knew that Maria must have booked a fairly exclusive high-end resort, but that was about all he knew.

Sat in the backseat he turned to his mother beside him. Anna had been slightly embarrassed by her failure to communicate with the driver in French and was now staring out the window at the clear turquoise waters in the harbour. Her outfit could only be described as elegant. A flowing dress, primarily red, with a floral pattern, the colour went well with her jet-black hair while the low cut neck and parting in the skirt gave a view of her generous cleavage and statuesque legs. Nick knew his mother had gained a reputation as something of a man eater -- neither his father, nor Harry, were the first nor the last to be taken in by her beauty. Perhaps now, for the first time, he could see why this was the case.

The taxi pulled up outside a grand palace like building overlooking the sea. The driver pressed some buttons on the meter -- Nick and Anna took this as a signal that the had arrived. Nick got out and went to the boot to take out the luggage. He had expected the driver to help him, but instead, he saw the driver hold the door open for his mother. Then the driver took her hand "Madame" was all he said. She giggled. Were they flirting?

A concierge helped them bring the bags to the front desk. The receptionist spoke to them in English.

"Monsieur and Madame Maguire, Julian will show you to your room. If you need anything please call down to reception, we want to make sure your stay is both relaxing and romantic," he smirked suggestively.

'Oh God, he thinks we are a married couple,' Nick thought to himself. But he wasn't about to explain about his wife dying and how he was taking his mother to a romantic resort. He just turned to Anna and shook his head before she said anything. She smiled.

"Here is the bed, we have a chaise longue to relax on, and as you will see there is a generous balcony looking out to the sea," Julien was extremely helpful, before leaving the Maguires alone in their room.

Anna was the first to point out the obvious. "Just one bed," she said to her son.

"I know, and I feared this could happen, but look, I can sleep on the chaise longue. You take the bed." Nick suggested.

"It doesn't look particularly comfortable," Anna replied.

"It's good enough for me Mom. Anyway, let's check out the restaurant. It is time for dinner." Nick didn't want to dwell on their awkward sleeping arrangements.

"Okay, let's get ready," Anna said as she headed for the bathroom.

"I am ready," said Nick. Anna stopped and turned.

"Dressed like that? Nicholas this is a resort on the Cote D'Azur, you don't go to dinner in a t shirt. Where is your bag?" Anna started to rummage through Nick's luggage. After a few minutes she finally pulled out a short sleeve shirt and khaki-coloured chinos. "There. It's casual but at least you won't look like an ignorant tourist." Nick held his tongue as his mother disappeared into the bathroom.

Nick was particularly hungry by the time the door reopened and Anna emerged. Gone was the flowing floral dress, replaced instead by a tropical print ruffle hem dress. It was in truth a dress designed for a younger woman, but Anna could pull it off. V-necked again, the plunging neckline showing her cleavage. The ruffles at the shoulders ere matched with a ruffle at the hem, which distracted from the fact that the hem itself was high on the thigh. Remarkably high. And, to top it off, the dress was backless.

Nick was caught in a stare, but Anna broke him from it. "Come one Nicholas, it is time to go." Nick caught his breath. Was she accusing him of delaying?!

Nick followed his mother down the hallway to the lift, all the while with his eyes fixed on her body beneath the revealing dress. He admitted to himself that she really did have a terrific body, and she was right to flaunt it. This was recognition, he told himself. Not admiration.

A waiter led them into the restaurant, a beautiful room on the western end of the hotel. It was open on one side with tables on what was effectively a large balcony. It was a mix, sone families, some larger groups, but the large majority were couples of various ages. All of the tables for two were out at the front of the balcony and they had the best views of the sea.

"Monsieur, Madame." The waiter pulled out a chair for Anna at a small square table. The tables were placed in a diamond formation, with the two seats perpendicular to one another instead of being across from one another. This allowed both diners a clear view of the scenery, and also kept them romantically close to one another.

As they pulled in their chairs Anna grabbed her son's hand and squeezed it. "Thank you, this is beautiful."

With those words however the beauty melted from Nick's eyes, and the weight of the recent past fell back on his shoulders.

"I can't take credit," Nick said, hanging his head, "Maria organised everything"

Nick glanced around. He saw young couples on their honeymoon. He saw elderly couples celebrating their anniversaries. This was supposed to be his anniversary. He was supposed to grow old with Maria.

Anna sensed her son's sadness. She signalled for the waiter to pour Nick some wine. "Maria organised this holiday for you. She would have wanted you to enjoy yourself."

Nick raised his glass and took a sip. He turned to Anna and smiled, a forced smile, but one that said he would not spoil the night.

Nick ate quite quickly and though he tried to enjoy himself, he really wasn't in the mood to chat. As they got up to return to their rooms the waiter approached them. "You must stay, the sunset, it will be soon."

Anna knew that Nick just wanted to get away. "We have had a busy day of travelling, maybe tomorrow," she replied.

*********************

"So how do we do this?" Anna asked of Nick who was already undressing in the bathroom.

"I will go to bed now and you use the bathroom," Nick explained, "the light will be off, and you just make your way to the bed."

Nick emerged in just a light t shirt which clung to his strong arms and toned waist, and a pair of boxers.

"No pyjamas?" Anna raised an eyebrow.

"It's just too warm Mom," Nick said as he made his way to the chaise long.

Anna switched off the light as she entered the bathroom. Nick tried to get to sleep but couldn't get his neck comfortable. Eventually the darkness was punctured as the door of the bathroom opened. Anna's silhouette appeared.

Anna wore a simple silk chemise they barely covered her rear. Nick could hardly see her but again he found himself staring at his own mother. 'Okay,' he thought, 'maybe I am admiring her.'

The light went off, Nick rolled over, and as he did, so he felt his cock tent the bedsheet. Had he been aroused by his mother's appearance? She was an objectively attractive woman, but never did he have an impure thought about her. Something was different now though. Perhaps it was the setting, perhaps the revealing outfits - but the veil of close relation, that natural boundary that stops a man viewing his close family members as sexually attractive, seemed to have been lifted.

Despite his tiredness, it was a sleepless night for Nick, moving and squirming on the makeshift bed in an effort to get comfortable. Only a thin sliver of moonlight pierced the darkness. Every so often he would glance sideways to the bed, where he could just make out the curves of Anna's body as she lay on her side, back to him. He watched the moonlight illuminate the valley of her waist, the gentle slopes of her hips and the glistening surface of her bare thighs. Eventually, just before sunrise, Nick fell asleep.

******************************

The rattling sound of the curtain rail combined with the sudden blast of sunlight was enough to awaken Nick. He opened his eyes to the vision of his mother standing above him.

"Come on, you can't sleep all day. I saved you breakfast." Anna spoke to her son as if he was still a lazy teenager.

"Sleep all day, I barely slept at all on this thing!" blurted Nick as he sat up and suddenly got a clear look at his mother's latest outfit - a long white blouse made from the lightest linen, open and draped over nothing but a black bikini. Nick fell silent.

"Sorry sweetie, I should never have let you sleep there, why don't you sleep in the bed tonight," Anna spoke in a kinder tone.

Blushing slightly, Nick regained his line of thought. "No, no mom, I can't have you sleeping on the chaise long."

"I have no intention of sleeping on the chaise long!" Anna laughed. "This bed is plenty big for both of us, so long as you can keep to your own side!"

Nick didn't answer but merely smiled, as he started to get up Anna declared, "I'm going, I will see you after a while."

Standing up straight, Nick blurted out, "You're going out, dressed like that?!"

Anna looked at her son stood before her, the tight boxer briefs bulging at the front. Was he semi hard? Perhaps morning wood? Maybe he was just large down there. She shook herself from such thoughts, but then giggled, "I'm going to the pool darling, perhaps you'll join me after breakfast. Remember, if you do, no swimming shorts, the French are big on hygiene. Its speedos only."

Nick scoffed, "we'll see," and walked past his mother to the bathroom. He turned to see her youthful but shapely buttocks framed by the bikini bottom. "See you later," he muttered as he felt his underwear stretch, he quickly closed the bathroom door, knowing that he would have to relieve himself.

**********************

Realising that he wasn't quite up to parading about in speedos, Nick decided to take a walk about the city before returning to the hotel that afternoon. He perched himself at a poolside bar where he struck up conversation with a Scottish gentleman, Brian, who was holidaying with his wife. Lorraine, the wife, a pleasant, outgoing young woman with a curvy body, joined them briefly before leaving to go for a swim. Nick joked about his reluctance to don speedos. Brian agreed but was quick to point out that it was more of an issue for him than for Nick, a hint towards Nick's toned physique.

Brian and Nick shared a few beers and chatted for a couple of hours. They talked sport, politics, anything that kept Nick's mind off his situation - he carefully sidestepped anything that would lead to questions about whether he was married or who he was there with.