A Hunting We Shall Go: Wendel

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They pack up and shake hands all around. Another couple has arrived and the party is starting to liven up. They put their gear in the car and head back to Clarke Drive.

Mike and Trudy carry the gear in and sit down to go over what they have. Crystal comes to climb on Mike and her kitten runs around his feet. He looks at it and says, "Where did you ever get such a cute kitten?"

"Mommy got it for me."

Trudy says, "Yeah, I think someone gave it to me."

The kitten goes, "Rrrowe!" and Crystal giggles, "That's its name, Rowe. Isn't he neat?"

"Rowe, is it? He'll make a fine mouser, I'm sure."

Trudy looks at Crystal and says, "I think it's about time somebody got her bath and got ready for bed."

"Awww Mom, there's no school tomorrow. Can't I stay up with you guys?"

"Well, maybe another half hour. What do you think, Mike?"

"Definitely. Another half hour it is."

Cookie joins them and they chat, drink coffee, play with the kitten and Crystal until Trudy nods her head and Cookie agrees. Cookie takes Crystal off upstairs for her bath. Trudy becomes tender and attentive on Mike, preparing to take him to bed. She takes his hand and leads him to their bedroom door. He hesitates and she looks sad.

"Go home to her, Mike. She needs your support tonight. I know she's very disappointed." Inside she says to herself, so am I, for her and for me. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"I'm glad you understand. Good night, my love." He kisses her and leaves.

When he arrives home Marlene is excited and happy to see him. They go to bed and cuddle close for the night.

Saturday morning, they are awakened by the phone. It's Trudy and she says. "Mike. I've got it all set up. Wayne and Carol are picking up John at the hotel and bringing him over to Marilyn's at three. Dave and Linda have got a friend, who's a nurse, and they are leaving the baby with her for a few hours so they can join us. And the piece d'resistance is that I have located Wendy Knox. She lives in a cabin up on Chilliwack Lake Road. No phone, not even any power. Is she ever a recluse. Want to go up and see her?"

"Yes, I suppose we better. Shall I pick you up this morning?"

"Any time. We better go early in case we have to look to find it. We don't want to be late for Marilyn's appointment."

"Right. I'll get around and be right down. See ya."

Mike explains they are tracking down a friend of Carol's as a witness to her character. His explanation sounds rather vague but neither one of them notice. He grabs some toast and coffee, then leaves. He calls Trudy on his way and she's waiting for him by the drive. They head right out to Vedder Crossing.

Trudy sits against his elbow and says, "Turn left just before the bridge. It's only a few miles up the river. I'll watch for it."

They drive up along the Vedder River and she watches the wood where a light fall of snow has painted the trees and ground in the open. She sings out, "There it is. That must be it there nestled under the trees. Do you see it?"

Mike pulls over and they get out. As they walk towards the cabin he stops and looks around. She stops and says, "What's wrong?"

"Deja vue, I guess. I feel like I've been here before."

In the wood two figures watch them trek up to the cabin door and knock. Mike knocks again and the door creaks open a few inches. He looks at Trudy and pushes it open. As he steps inside he says, "Maybe she used to live here, but there's nobody here now. The place is empty and looks like it has been for years. Let's go."

Trudy looks around as if puzzled then follows him out. They trek back to the car and climb in, both on the driver's side. Trudy says, "Did we make a wrong turn?"

"This sure isn't Cultus Lake Park, is it?" He grins as he starts the car.

The contemporary figure says to the robed one, "They will be back, Wendy."

"No, my child. You do not know of the powers of Mother Earth. They will not be back. I would that you could know what I know, but you are steeped in the ways of the world. Now, with more treasure coming your way, I fear you will never know. That saddens me but I am cheered by your fortune for you. Go back to your new man and forget I exist until I have further need of you." They blend into the forest branches back towards the cabin with snow on the roof, smoke curling out of the chimney and a lamp lit in the window full of cats.

Mike turns left across the bridge and slides his hand up Trudy's leg drawing her skirt with it to expose her to him. He grins as they turn up the hill towards Cultus Lake Park. Soon they have found their spot in the campsite overlooking the lake where they parked the day of the funeral.

"Oh, my love. What a bright idea to call me down to take you parking on a Saturday morning. I don't know how I made that wrong turn at the bridge."

"I'm going to open my door so I can look at the lake while we're making love. My handsome lover, do your thing." Later they hear the church bells ring across the lake or maybe they just ring for them. Shivering but happy, they close the door and head back to town for a late lunch. They'll just have time before the appointment.

Trudy double checks the gear and says she's ready to go. Mike is sitting at the table with coffee and looking deep in thought. He's staring at the kitten.

Trudy nudges him with her elbow and runs her tongue in his ear. He shakes his head as she says; "Wake up. I'm all ready. Let's go."

He grins and says, "Your always ready."

"Don't you know it!"

They haul the gear to the car and Crystal wants to come with them, but they say it's not possible. Another time, perhaps.

Mike says, "I feel this may just be a waste of time. I sometimes think we have missed something. Maybe something one of the family members said. Some little clue has been nagging at me since the day Wendel died and I can't put my finger on it. I've reviewed the case until I'm worn out and I still know something is not clicking. Come on, my cute sidekick, let's mosey on out there."

Mike swings the car around and they drive out onto Young Road. He drives into town to the five corners and turns left onto Yale Road East. Down near Little Mountain they turn right onto Windsor Street and go down past Fraser Avenue. A large older home set well back from the street that once was a farmhouse is the residence of the Curries, as it is proclaimed on the mail box. Mike pulls into the driveway and goes back around the house to a graveled yard designed for parking.

He says to Trudy, "Did you tell her John was coming, or Carol?"

"Nope. I told her we were hoping to interview couples and clear their names. I said they would all be employees at the store or family members who were on the hunt."

"And she agreed to that?"

"Not at first, but I persuaded her."

"It's ten to and it looks like we are the first ones here. I hope the rest show."

"I have assurances from them that they will."

"Let's go, then."

They haul their gear up the back steps to the door and Mike rings the bell. No sounds are heard in the house and he stands looking around at the out buildings; an old dilapidated barn, one end of which the timbers have rotted and sagged. Two sheds and a greenhouse without any glass overgrown with weeds. He knocks again, and the door is immediately opened by Marilyn herself. She stares at them as if in a stupor and says, "I'm sorry. I was lying down. Come in."

Mike says as they go in, "No one else has arrived yet?"

"Not unless they couldn't wake me. Come right on in. My goodness, you brought all the equipment, didn't you?"

"All of it plays an important role in our interviews. Where can we set it up?"

"Straight ahead down the hall, it's the living room. Don't worry about your shoes, dear. You can't hurt my floors. Part of being a working woman, I guess. Don't have much time for housework." Mike notices she's had time to apply her makeup perfectly, though, and is dressed in expensive trendy afternoon wear that's revealing, but tasteful.

He looks the large room over with its large front windows and stuffed furniture. Not ideal for what he had in mind but it would have to do. He hears a knock and Marilyn goes rushing back down the hall. He hears Dave Ferguson's voice grumbling about having to get a baby-sitter in the middle of a Saturday afternoon and Marilyn says something about it was not her idea.

As they approach the living room he hears Linda says, "Well, I hope it's not going to take all day. Have you got anything to drink?"

"Cocktails. Will that do?"

"Yumeee, you bet!"

Dave comes on in as the two women go for drinks. Mike introduces him to Trudy. The women come back with a tray of cocktails and Marilyn says, "I got beer if you'd prefer, Dave, Mike?" She offers the tray to Trudy who shakes her head, patting her stomach as she whispers to Marilyn. "I'll get you some milk, or soda if you prefer."

Trudy shakes her head. Mike introduces her to Linda and they stand chatting for a moment. Linda downs her drink and gets another one as Dave looks at her disapprovingly. He sips on a beer.

Mike says, "Well, Dave. How have things been going in your department, hardware, isn't it?"

"Yeah. About what you'd expect for this time of year. Snow shovels and studded tires. I also have automotive since Barry's promotion."

"I suppose Wendel's death has had repercussions all down the line. What are they saying around the store about the way he died?" He notices Trudy is behind Dave with a microphone.

"There's a lot of curiosity. I think a lot of it is generated by you. People don't know enough to mind their own damn business. You can take that any way you like."

Mike nods and says, "We are providing a necessary service in as unobtuse a manner as we can, but there is no way we can hide what we are doing."

"What the hell are you doing? Meddling where there is no need. The courts said that asshole there shot him by accident. What part of that don't you understand?" He has raised his voice and everyone looks they're way.

"You know as well as I do that the court revealed he was poisoned and would have died if he hadn't have been shot. Someone tried to murder him; someone who didn't like him very much. Was it you?"

Dave turns away and says, "I don't have to listen to this bull shit. Come on, Linda, we're going home!"

"I just got a fresh drinky poo. Let's not get in a rush, dear. Drink your beer."

Mike speaks up, "Dave, you didn't answer me. Are you afraid of the question?"

Dave spins around and puts his clenched fist in Mike face, "Say that again, Mister! I didn't poison the son of a bitch but I'm damn glad somebody knocked him off. He was a useless prick! I wish he'd stepped in front of my rifle but John got lucky! Now, what do you want to make of that?"

Coolly Mike says, "It answers my question. Thank you."

Dave walks away across the room mumbling, "Meddling God damn snoop..."

Mike grins at Linda and says, "Sorry that I upset your husband. Please accept my apology."

She laughs and says, "Everyone upsets him. I don't know how he gets those people at the store to work for him."

Marilyn says, "I never seen him like that. He's so patient and understanding at the store."

Linda looks at her and says, "My husband; patient and understanding? You got to be kidding." She laughs drunkenly.

Marilyn goes over to Dave and talks quietly with him. They chat a few minutes and he glances around then pats her on the ass. Mike thinks, 'I'm glad I didn't miss that'. Marilyn and Dave? Hmmmm.' He thinks about the new situation and Trudy whispers to him, "Did you see that?" She nods towards them. She says, "I saw them in the mirror." Mike nods.

Linda sidles closer to hear what they are talking about and Mike says, "Hasn't Dave's promotion made him happy?"

"Oh sure. Twice the work and he still only gets paid for being a department head. Would that make you happy?"

"It gives him more prestige in the store and brings him another step closer to Management. I would think he'd be up to the challenge."

"I guess he is. I know he has been working longer hours lately. He comes in tired out at night, but he does seem to be happier."

Trudy shakes her head behind Linda and Mike grins. "Maybe it's the idea of coming home to a new face. How is the new arrival? Was it a boy or a girl?"

She smiles, "A girl and she looks just like Dave. She's so sweet. By the way, where's your wife today? I thought she might be here."

"No. This is actually a business meeting for us. We hope to clear all of you from suspicion. I must admit, Dave isn't making it any easier for us."

"Marilyn says she'll cool him down. I think she took him outside. Aren't you drinking, Mikey?" Mike looks around and realizes they have gone. Trudy points down the hall. She inserts one finger through her opposite thumb and forefinger joined into a circle and pops it in and out a few times with a grin.

Mike looks up at the ceiling and tries not to laugh. He looks back down at Linda and says, "I guess you must be right. I don't see them." Trudy puts her hand flat over her eyes like a shade and peers down the hall. Mike feels laughter bubbling up inside and says, "I better check our tapes." He turns away towards the recorders and shakes with suppressed laughter.

He pretends to check the tape in the machine, then composes himself and turns back to Linda. First he glares a warning at Trudy then says, "Does your husband find his new duties tiring?" Trudy bursts out laughing and goes off up the hall for a moment.

Linda looks around as if annoyed then says, "He seems to. I know he sleeps a lot longer since he's taken on the extra department. It must be taxing."

"Did he always have a hard time dealing with Wendel?"

"I think so. He never said much but I got the impression that he thought the man was not suitable for the job. Where is your drink, Mikey. I'll get you one." She brings a cocktail for him and he sits it on a coaster on the edge of a coffee table near the microphone.

"You know, Mikey, I thought I'd see your wife here. She's such a nice lady. What's her name, now let me think? I remember but I can't think of it." She puts a hand on his chest as she takes another drink from her glass. Mike looks at his watch and says, "I wonder where the other members of this party are? They should have been here by now?"

"Whosh coming?" Her hand slides down his chest as she finishes her drink. She whispers, "Pretend you don't want me when Dave is around." She picks his drink up off the coffee table and has a slurp. She drops her empty glass on the rug and it rolls under the coffee table. Trudy smirks.

Mike says, "Wayne and Carol should be here and Marilyn's husband. I think they are coming together."

"Ohhh, handshome Wayne is coming, too. I'll have to wash myself wish all you hanshome men around, lushting after my body. Aint it neat when I'm not pregnant? You can touch, but not when Dave'sh around. Feel shish." She reaches for his hand and nearly falls over. Trudy rolls her eyes.

Mike hears a pickup and looks out the front windows. It's Wayne's F250 4X4 and it's slowly going by the driveway. He can see John in the back pounding on the hood. He decides to escape Linda and go out to meet them. Trudy figures the same and follows. As they reach the door they see Marilyn come out of the dilapidated barn adjusting her clothes and in a moment Dave comes rushing out as she reaches the door. She glares at Mike and comes in.

Mike says, "I was just coming to find you. It looks like the rest are coming up the driveway."

"I saw that ignorant son of a bitch I'm married to in the back of the truck. What's he doing here?"

"As part of our interview, I wish to question him also. I'm sorry if that inconveniences you."

She brushes by him as Dave comes in and Wayne's truck pulls into the graveled yard. Before he's parked, John jumps from the back and staggers in the gravel, then heads for the house. Carol gets out and Wayne comes around to walk in with her. Mike steps outside to greet them. "Hi guys, thanks for coming. I hope we can clear up this investigation to-day. At least for you folks."

John looks like he has been drinking and he says, "What you doing in my house? You screwing her, too?"

"Come in, John. Dave and Linda are here. Everyone is waiting on you folks."

John goes by him and follows Trudy down the hall. "Who are you, honey?" He pats her ass and says, "Hey, I don't think you got no pants on. Come with me." Trudy rushes into the living room leaving him in the hall and Mike chuckles. Carol and Wayne follow him down the hall.

Mike enters the living room and takes a position near the recorder with Trudy by his elbow keeping a close eye on John. He claps his hands and asks for their attention. They quiet down and he says, "Folks, this is not the way I like to conduct interviews but since we are here and all assembled like in the detective movies, let's give it a try. For those of you who do not know her, this is Trudy, my assistant and recorder. It's her job to try and keep track of everything that is said so we can later examine the record for clues." He is interrupted by Dave Ferguson who blurts out, "You haven't got a clue."

"Now that's the kind of outburst that is counter productive and will only prolong this meeting. First I would suggest you find a comfortable chair, ladies and the gentlemen might stand or sit on the floor if they like. I'd like to start this off with a supposition that in our midst is a murderer. In someone's heart was the wish to destroy Wendel Blake and they acted on it. Look around you. It may be the person to your right or left. Can you say, I am not the one? Wayne?

"Not me. I always got along with the man."

"Marilyn?"

"He was going to make me his Associate. Don't look at me."

"Carol?"

"How dare you? You know better!"

Marilyn pipes up, "You didn't answer him?"

"He knows my answer."

"Linda?"

She waves her glass, spilling some, and says, "hic!"

"John?"

"Whatya want, Mike?"

"Dave?"

"I'm not the one, Asshole."

"So none of the six of you is the murderer. But our supposition says one of you is lying. John, explain to me why you are not living at home anymore?"

"She kicked me out. Too much booze, she said. You ever kill a man, Mike? Don't matter what kind of a bastard he is, he's just another man like me. I should be put away for that."

Marilyn speaks up, "You're not kidding!"

Linda reaches for John and says, "Poor man." as she slides from the chair to the floor. No one helps her up.

"Wayne, you were in bed with the widow the night after her husband died. Explain that for me."

Everyone looks shocked and turns to look at Wayne and Carol.

Wayne glares at Mike and says, "I didn't think you would stoop so low. I was there to console her in her hour of grief. Sure, I took her to bed and helped her forget for a brief time. It's not like you folks are thinking. That was the first time for us. We did not plot Wendel's death, as God is my witness."

"Thanks, Wayne. It had to come out. I'm sorry, friend."

"If your a friend, who needs them."

"Carol, your first reaction to the news of your husband's death was relief, was it not?"

"What! I don't believe this! You people sitting here letting him badger you. I don't have to answer any questions."

"I take it that's a yes. So why were you relieved? Could it have been that you predicted his pain and saw your prediction coming true."

"She wasn't supposed to tell anyone! You bastard!"

"Dave. You hated Wendel because he took Marilyn away from you, didn't he?"

Dave stares at him with hatred in his eyes.

"He wasn't a better man, he just had more to offer and you couldn't top him, could you?"

Everyone looks at Dave as he grits his teeth.

"In fact, you decided to put him out of the way so you went into his office and added some mix to his drink, didn't you?"