A Kiss Before Midnight

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Diane noticed Helen's worried look and Nate's anger as he kept looking around for Marc. Diane took a breath, pushing her own anger down, as she walked over to Helen. She placed a hand on her shoulder, "Don't worry girl I'm sure he'll be here."

Nate nodded in agreement, "Yep any minute now."

Helen nodded, "You're right I'm sure he'll be here any minute."

She didn't want to worry the others by looking around every three minutes. She felt her heart start to sink in the pit of her stomach as tears welled up in her eyes. The only thing keeping her tears at bay is the warmth of Nate's hand, but he couldn't stay with her for too long since he had to do sound check in a minute. She wanted nothing more than to wrap herself up in Nate's strong arms and bury her head in his chest to get rid of this feeling. The feeling of having your heart ripped out, the feeling of being made a fool, the feeling that someone didn't care about you like you thought they did. She knew Nate could help her make those feelings go away.

Nate noticed the look in Helen's eyes. It's the same helpless look she gets when she's being reprimanded by her family or when there was a problem she couldn't fix. Nate hated that look it just made his anger grow.

"Hey Nate!"

Nate turned around to see Jake jogging towards him. Nate smiled, "Hey Jakey good to see you made it in once piece."

"Me too especially since Adam was driving. I thought we would never make it here alive." Jake said.

"Hey I heard that you know!" Adam said around his cigarette as he unloaded one part of his drum set. Jake and Nate laughed as Helen giggled shaking her head.

"So…where's…" Jake started when Adam walked over to them.

"Hey um Nate we have to do sound check soon. I hope you don't mind, but we have to steal Nate for a minute Helen." Adam said smiling taking a drag on his cigarette catching the attention of a couple of girls walking by. He smiled at them as the girls giggled smiling back as they walked inside.

Helen looked over smiling, trying to hide her emotions as she nodded, "Sure thing Adam. You better behave Nate." She teased touching the tip of his nose.

Nate smiled, "You know me Helen when have I ever acted up?"

Helen giggled, "I know how good you are Nate."

Nate smiled as Jake and Adam started laughing. They looked around for Marc, but didn't see him. Jake gave Adam a worried look. Adam tried to reassure Jake, but it was hard when he was trying to calm down himself.

"Well let me go get things ready. Are you gonna be ok?" Nate asked. Helen nodded as she looked down at her nails, "Yeah I will,"

Nate nodded, "Ok," he looked back over at Helen seeing the helpless look in her eyes once more. He couldn't help it. He didn't care if there was people around or if Marc finally appeared. He let Helen's hand go before wrapping his arms around her waist in a hug. Helen's eyes widen in surprise before she closed them. She loved being in his arms, she felt safe and loved. It felt different than when Marc hugged her.

"If you need anything just call me ok?" Nate whispered in her ear. Helen nodded blushing slightly at the feel of his breath in her ear, "Ok,"

"Ok," Nate said as he nodded. He placed a kiss on her forehead a gesture he hasn't done since they were in middle school together. He looked down in her eyes feeling the same force as he did in the lobby. He smiled reluctantly pulling himself away from her. He squeezed her hand one more time before walking off with Adam and Jake. Helen smiled Nate always knew how to make her smile no matter how crappy she was feeling. She looked around for Marc again sighing when she didn't see him.

"Maybe he's inside," Diane said.

Helen nodded, "Yeah let's go," she gave Diane a smile as Diane returned it taking Helen's hand as they walked in together with their friends.

*~*~*~*~*

They gasped when they walked inside. It was decorated like a Parisian night scene. There was a paper machie replica of the Eiffel Tower off by the side. The dim lights added to the romantic feel of the room. Many couples giggled and whisper sweet things to each other under the cover of the dim light. On the side of the room was a photographer. On the other side a buffet table with a variation of different French and American food. The dance floor was empty now, but it would be full of people in a couple of minutes. Helen could see Nate and his band setting up with the DJ. She looked up catching Nate's eye. He smiled as he waved, she smiled back.

Adam smiled walking over to Nate, "So when are you going to have your way with her?"

Nate blushed, "Adam! What do you mean?"

Adam smiled lightening up another cigarette, "Oh don't act dumb. I know you have been itching to get your hands underneath that dress since the first time you laid eyes on her tonight."

"I-I-I haven't I mean yes she's beautiful and that dress flatters her in all the right ways, but… damn it Adam!" Nate exclaimed as he ran a hand through his hair.

Adam laughed, "Dude I think you should just solve the sexual tension that has been going on between you two for ages."

"It has not," Nate said.

"So the time you said that Helen was good enough to eat didn't mean anything?" Jake said walking in with his guitar case.

"Shut up Jake! No one asked you!" Nate said as Jake started laughing.

"Come on man everyone can see it. You two are getting it on tonight." Adam said before going in the back to get the rest of his drum set. Jake chuckled before following behind Adam. Nate ran his hand through his hair again. Sure it was true that he has felt something building for Helen for awhile now, but would it be right? Would it affect their friendship? There were too many factors involved for him to try and risk anything, but he couldn't help his feelings. He bit his lip he didn't know why he couldn't control his feelings tonight. He walked to the back to grab his guitar case. He really hopes he wouldn't just unravel tonight.

*~*~*~*~*

"Man he is going to freakin lose it." Adam said chuckling.

Jake laughed, "You're right he is, but I think Helen is going to lose it too. I feel that those two are made for each other."

"They've been made for each other since high school." Adam said taking a long drag on his cigarette. He blew a smoke ring out as Jake watched him. He turned his head away quickly a small blush on his cheeks as he nodded, "You're right they are. Um don't you think you should calm down on the smokes Adam? It's like your fifth one."

"I can't help it Jake. I get nervous before a show especially with my dad on my back. He wants me to go to a board meeting tomorrow which is going to bore me to tears." Adam said rolling his eyes. Jake shook his head he knew how much Adam's dad wanted him to take over his hotel chain, but Adam wasn't interested in the hotel business like his brother David. Jake knew though it was a conversation for another day. Before Jake could say something to cheer him up he saw Marc's limo pull up and Marc stepping out. Jake opened his mouth to greet him, but stop when he saw Marc lean back in to the female passenger in the car.

Jake couldn't believe it. He didn't know what made him angrier. The fact that Marc was cheating on Helen or the fact that Marc had the nerve to bring the girl to Helen's prom. Jake turned around hoping that Nate wasn't behind him. He knew that Nate would go nuts if he saw Marc with another woman. Jake turned back around only to see Marc kissing the mystery girl deeply. He didn't look like he did when he was with Helen. This look was different. He looked happier than the times Jake has seen him with Helen. Jake balled his fist as he looked away. He couldn't believe Marc he wasn't being fair to Helen.

Adam noticed Jake's clenched fists he walked over to him, "Hey Jakey are you ok?"

"No!" Jake exclaimed.

Adam raised an eyebrow, "What's wrong?"

"Marc's here with another woman!" Jake exclaimed.

Adam cursed reaching in his pocket for his pack of cigarettes, "You gotta be kidding me. Damn it."

"What's up?" Donald said walking over to Jake and Adam.

"Marc is here," Jake said as Adam lit up again.

"Well that's good right?" Donald said.

"No it's not," Jake said.

"Why?" Donald said.

"Because he's here with another woman, he had no intention of going with Helen to her prom." Jake said.

"Damn it that is so fucking grimy. How is he going to break up with her on prom night? At least he's here in person, but still. Shit!" Donald cursed kicking the ground out of frustration.

"What's going on?" Marcus said.

"Marc is here with another woman. He's going to break up with Helen on her prom night. I know he is. He better not dance with her when he has another woman waiting on him." Jake said glaring at the floor.

"Aw shit we can't tell Nate. He will kill him or get close to it." Marcus said.

"How are we going to hide it? Nate can practically read all of us like a book. There's no way we can hide it from him he's gonna…" Jake started when Nate stormed in the back.

"Adam I need a damn cigarette and your lighter." Nate said angrily a frown on his face.

"Sure, but may I ask why?" Adam said tossing him a cig and a lighter.

"Because Marc is here and for some reason I'm pissed the fuck off." Nate said catching the things Adam tossed him. He thanked him before putting the cigarette in his mouth and lighting it.

"Damn I hate that I'm doing this, but I have no other option." Nate said taking a drag on the cigarette. Jake and the guys looked around each other. They didn't know if Nate already knew what was gonna happen or if Nate caught Marc in the act. Nate could feel the light tension in the air. He looked around seeing the uneasy look on his friend's faces.

"What?" Nate asked. He looked down at the cigarette in his hand, "I'm gonna quit guys I just have to tonight you know."

"No it's not that it's about Marc." Jake said being the only brave one to speak.

Nate raised an eyebrow he could feel himself getting angry. He knew it had something to do with Helen and the clues about Marc's weird behavior tonight. Nate looked around again he took the cigarette out of his mouth before taking a breath.

"What about him?" Nate said.

"Well…" Before Jake could start Jeff, the president of the prom committee, ran up to them.

"Oh there you guys are. I see taking a smoking break before the show." Jeff said chuckling.

Nate hid his anger behind a smile, "Jeff you know how it is before a show."

Jeff nodded, "Right, right I'm really glad you guys could play. My sister will not believe this."

Nate chuckled, "It's no problem. You should thank Helen really for telling us."

Jake nodded, "Yeah if it wasn't for her we might have not known there was an opening for a band."

Jeff nodded, "That's true I'll be sure to thank her again. I'll tell my mom to make her famous thank you basket. There's one coming for you guys too don't worry."

They smiled Jeff's mother is the owner of many famous gift basket companies. They make gift baskets for any occasion. Jeff's mother, Christy, makes a personal basket for her closest friends, their children, and business clients.

Donald waved it aside, "Jeff it's fine we're still eating the fruit from the last basket we got from your mom."

Jeff laughed, "Yeah that's my mom, but you know her she's gonna make one anyway. It's on the house though."

Jake smiled, "Thanks Jeff,"

Jeff returned it, "No problem well guys are you ready?"

Nate nodded snuffing out his cigarette, "Ready,"

Jake, Adam, Donald, and Marcus nodded in agreement, "We're ready too," Jake said.

"Great, man this is going to be one hell of a night." Jeff said before walking to the stage. Nate sighed as he followed behind the others to the stage, "Tell me about it,"

*~*~*~*

Diane saw Marc walk inside with his tuxedo, but she noticed that he looked a bit disheveled. She didn't like the feeling coming over her. She looked over at Helen who was talking with Sabrina and Jessica. She felt that Helen wasn't going to be happy after tonight. She forced a smile on her face when Marc approached them, "Hey Marc how's it going?"

"Fine sorry I'm late. I was a bit caught up in traffic." Marc said.

"I'm sure you were…" Aidan said under his breath. Chris bit back his chuckle along with Juan.

"Well I'm glad you made it Marc." Helen said smiling. She was relieved that he made it, but she could feel her heart clenching slightly. She didn't know why. She shook her head pushing down the feeling. Nate looked over at the table Helen and her friends were sitting at. He pushed his anger down when his eyes landed on Marc. He cleared his throat, "Hey guys are you having a fun tonight?"

The crowd cheered as Nate smiled, "That's awesome! Well then let's make this night unforgettable!"

Everyone cheered as the dance floor started to fill up with people when the beginning chords of their song, Starlight Dreams, started. Helen stood up with her friends as they walked to the dance floor. She noticed Marc checking his cell phone before joining them on the dance floor. She felt her heart clench again, but didn't dwell too much on it. Helen started to dance to the music along with everyone. Nate noticed the sway of her body from the stage. He could imagine how her hips would feel grinding against his to the beat of the music. Nate closed his eyes concentrating on the music as he willed himself to stay in control. He didn't need everyone seeing his boner. That wouldn't be too good.

Helen noticed that Marc seemed a bit distant to everyone while they danced. He didn't even dance with her for awhile until Diane mentioned it. She didn't understand it. After being late he could have least made an effort to be with her. She knew Nate would be dancing with her right now if he was in Marc's shoes. His strong arm around her waist his hips grinding against hers as he leaned down to whisper something in her ear. She shook her head slightly again, /What a time to be daydreaming about Nate. / she thought trying to concentrate on her boyfriend.

"Ok guys now we all know what happens when the lights go out right?" Nate said as he gave a low chuckle. He saw many people in the crowd laugh with him or blush in the dim light. He looked over at Helen seeing Marc next to her. He smirked as he winked at Helen. Helen giggled as she waved to him. Diane noticed hiding her laughs behind her hand while Jessica and Sabrina giggled. Mari and Regina hid their laughs behind her glass.

"Well because it's such a special night. We're gonna sing a special song called After tonight. How does that sit with you guys?" Nate asked. Everyone cheered in agreement as Nate smiled, "Alright that's all I need let's do this."

A slow, seductive beat started to fill the room as many couples smiled at each other. Helen loved this song it always turned her on whenever she would hear Nate hum or sing it.

She turned to Marc, "So what to dance again?"

Marc opened his mouth to reply when his phone went off. He checked the id as he sighed, but Diane could tell that it was forced. She quickly stood up muttering a quick "I'm going to get something to drink" before walking to the buffet table. She couldn't take being around him another minute. Daniel could tell she was getting pissed. He stood up following behind her while the other couples walked to the dance floor.

"I have to take this I'll be back." Marc said as Helen nodded, "Oh ok,"

Marc nodded as he got up to answer his call. Helen sat at the table messing with the strap on her purse. She felt a bit let down that he didn't want to dance again. He was supposed to be her boyfriend right? Then why was he causing her so much stress? Especially on prom night!

Daniel placed a hand on Diane's shoulder, "Hey you ok?"

Diane shook her head, "No, I'm not. You know Marc doesn't want to be here. You can tell right?"

Daniel nodded, "Yeah I can. It's bothering me too. It's really irritating. Look he left her behind to answer his "important" call."

Diane rolled her eyes, "Let's go cheer her up." She threw away her plastic cup as Daniel nodded in agreement. They walked over to her noticing the sad look in her eyes as she played with her strap. Diane placed a hand on her shoulder as Daniel placed a hand on her other side. Helen looked up quickly making the sadness in her eyes disappear.

They smiled at her, "Hey want to dance with us? You don't need Marc to dance." Diane said.

"She's right," Daniel said.

Helen nodded as she stood up, "That's true and that's what I'm going to do. Come on let's dance."

Diane and Daniel smiled walking with Helen to the dance floor. Helen ignored the nagging feeling as she started to dance. She looked up at the stage watching Nate swing his hips to the beat of the music. He locked eyes with Helen as Helen stared back. She smiled moving her body to match his movements. Nate bit his lip holding back his moan. He didn't know Helen could be such a little flirt. He smiled back rocking his body to her movements. Adam and Jake smiled at each other Donald chuckled as Marcus laughed. This night is turning out to be very interesting.

Diane and the others smiled at the interaction between Helen and Nate. They noticed that she was having more fun with Nate than she was with Marc. Daniel gave a relieved sigh, he didn't want to see Diane angry nor did he want to see Helen hurt, but he knew either one or the other would happen tonight. Before that event comes he was trying to keep them as happy as possible. He knew Nate was doing the same thing, they all were really. Nate smirked, when Helen moved her hips again, being thankful that the dim light could hide his growing erection. He gripped the stand trying to calm down before he jumped in the crowd.

/Calm down Nate you can't do anything especially with Marc here. You have to calm down calm down. / Nate thought closing his eyes then opening them again. His gaze caught Helen's as he smirked again, "After tonight things will change, after tonight you'll only know my name."

Helen blushed feeling her heart jump in her chest. She's heard him sing this song tons of times, but she never felt so turned on by it before. Diane giggled dancing towards Helen, "Nate sure knows how to work up a crowd doesn't he,"

Helen nodded as she blushed, "He sure does,"

During the song Nate made sure to look at Helen during the suggestive parts. Helen felt her face heat up as her palms felt sweaty. She felt herself getting turned on more and more by Nate than by Marc. She expected to feel guilty about daydreaming about him, but the more he sang the more he moved his hips to the song the more she could see herself dancing with him. She shook her head she didn't know what to make of her reawakening feelings for her best friend, but she liked it. Nate smiled as he finished the song being thankful for the break.

"Thanks for listening to us all this time guys. Now we're gonna let DJ Smooth take over, but we will be back." Nate said as the crowd cheered for them. They bowed twice before walking off the stage. Jeff ran up to them smiling happily, "You guys were great! I can't wait to hear your encore."

Nate smiled sheepishly, "Thanks Jeff we're glad you like us."

Jeff smiled, "Of course why wouldn't I like you guys. You sound great! I'm surprised you guys haven't been signed to a record company yet."

"Haven't had enough time between practicing and finishing a second year of college." Adam said.

"Well, um, my dad knows some people that work in the music industry. If you want I can get you guys some studio time." Jeff said.

Nate raised an eyebrow, "Seriously Jeff you can?"

Jeff nodded smiling sheepishly, "It's the least I can do for performing for us at such short notice."

They all broke out in identical smiles as they cheered. Jake ran over to Jeff with Adam and Nate almost knocking over Jeff in the process.

123456...8