A Lesson in Family

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

There was something else going on that they didn't want to tell me, but I figured, if it was important enough, I'd find out when I needed to.

Mr. Swanson and I talked, and I told Carla and her mom about Rick, they were cool about Rick as long as I didn't follow in his footsteps which they and I and Rick and everybody else I knew were adamant was not going to happen.

Carla and I got an A on our project, of course, and things were nice. We had classes together and ate lunch together every day, holding hands between classes and stealing kisses when nobody was watching. Amber thought it was all so cute and was our biggest fan. Our dating consisted of me going to her house on weekends, if only to hang out for a few hours on a Saturday afternoon or to watch movies and cuddle with a big bowl of popcorn. Every now and then I'd get invited to go with her and her parents for pizza and a movie.

I even got invited to a sort of sleepover for Carla's eighteenth birthday, when the big party was over, candles blown out and cake eaten, it was Carla and Amber in Carla's room and me in the guest room down the hall. They joked all night that I was 'just one of the girls' and I hadn't really minded too much, until they decided to start painting each other's nails.

By the time they finally kicked me out of Carla's room so we could all go to sleep, I had pink toenails and fingernails, full makeup including eye liner, mascara, and lips gloss and they had braided my hair. I complained profusely, but when I got to my own bathroom to wash off, I just sat and looked at my reflection, admiring how nice I looked.

When I came down for breakfast the next morning, Martha gave me a big knowing smile and offered to help me get the places I had missed, mascara can be a bitch if you don't know what you're doing. I decided to keep the nail polish on for a while because, for some reason, I found it soothing.

Nobody, even Mr. Swanson seemed to mind. What nobody knew was, when I went back to school on Monday, my toes were still pink.

As fall arrived, Carla raided her closet again and I left her house with a bag of sweaters, sweatshirts, and jackets along with some long sleeve button down shirts, most in soft pastel colors and a few that buttoned the wrong way, even more sets of panties, and a nice pair of boots. I had admitted to her that I liked the way the panties fit, and she didn't seem to have any issue with me wearing them, it had been her idea in the first place after all. At school, I got compliments all the time about my new fashion sense, the girls all loved that I was brave enough to wear the colors I wore and when the guys heard that, a lot of them got on board too; I was dating Carla after all.

We had a blast at the fall festival at the school, eating turkey legs and drinking hot chocolate, I even won Carla a stuffed cat in one of the booths, she named it Connie. We got back to her house and cuddled up on the couch to watch a late movie, falling asleep next to each other and waking up, covered in a big fluffy blanket nestled in each other's arms. Of course, we were both still dressed but that feeling of her next to me when I woke up, the smell of her hair, the sound of her soft breathing and the feeling of her chest rising and falling against mine, her hand on my chest and our legs entangled, I never wanted that moment to end.

"Hi," she lifted her head and smiled at me, "This is nice," her lips touched mine.

"I think so, too," I lifted my head just enough to steal another kiss before she laid her head on my chest and snuggled back under my arm.

"We should probably get up," she didn't sound very convincing, "We might miss breakfast."

"There's always lunch," I tickled her just a bit and she laughed.

"You know I really like you," Carla ran her finger across my cheek.

"I kinda figured that one out," I chuckled, "I really like you, too.

"Not just like this," she squeezed me, "It's different. I mean you're really cute, I saw that the first time I saw you, and you're really smart, and funny in a quirky kind of way that I really like, but you're different, my parents trust you, which is a big deal, and I think you're just a really good person, someone that I can be friends with no matter what."

"Carla, what are you trying to say? Are you going to break up with me?"

"No, silly," she climbed on top of me, "Just the opposite, I'm just saying that I really liked waking up next to you, and I really, really like kissing your delicious lips," she leaned down and kissed me hard, "But I also I really like you, the person inside, " she kissed me again running her hands under my shirt up to my shoulders, " there's romantic like and then there's friend like, I'm just saying I like you both ways."

"Me too," I pulled her down on top of me slipping my hands up under her shirt, across her back, drawing my fingers across the strap of her bra, and kissing her hard, her soft skin was like satin, "My hands moved down her sides and started across her stomach, almost touching her breasts, as our kiss got more passionate. I pushed her back up away from me, "But I think breakfast would be a good idea right now."

"I agree," her father was standing in the doorway.

I didn't know people could turn the shade of red Carla turned. She hopped off the couch, straightened her clothes and hair, and ran out of the room. I laid there for a few minutes to give her a head start and deal with my own uncomfortable issues.

"Is this going to be an issue with you two?" he asked me as I slowly got off the couch.

"Mr. Swanson, it's like I said that first night I met you, I really don't want to mess this up, any of it, so, no sir, I'll make sure it's not, I promise," I said every prayer I knew as we walked to the breakfast room hoping I wasn't lying.

Breakfast was a little awkward, especially considering the Swanson's were going to invite me to go with them for Thanksgiving break, Amber was going to go, but had to cancel and since they trusted me, they thought three days in Disney World and a four-night cruise just might be something I would enjoy. With a little conversation and promises to behave, it was all agreed, Rick didn't even mind too much that I called to get his permission, interrupting him and Britney in the middle of whatever it was they did on Sundays.

The next month flew by, before I knew it, I was packed and standing next to Carla at the airport, getting ready to board a plane for the first time ever, and go on a trip I had never even dared dream about with the most beautiful girl on the planet.

The trip had been planned for a long time and since Amber was originally in the plan, the accommodations created some possible issues. Carla and I would in fact be sleeping in the same bed, both at the hotel and on the ship, but, and it was a huge but, there would be rules and zero tolerance for any deviations. Kissing and cuddling would be allowed within limits and pajamas were absolutely required in the bed, at all times, any, and ANY was in all caps, exploration, would meet with dire consequences. The Swanson's would provide me with the required pajamas and would buy me a couple of swimsuits for the cruise as well.

Disney World wasn't an issue, we were all so tired every day that sleep was all any of us wanted, Carla and I did enjoy the cuddling and waking up in her arms was wonderful, but anything more never even crossed our minds, ok, that's a flat out lie, I thought about pretty much nothing else the entire time but I had promised her dad and so it never went any further. The first night on the cruise was the same, we had spent the day exploring all the pools and were wiped out.

Day two however, changed everything, when the porter knocked on the cabin door delivering Mr. Swanson's suit and Carla, Amber, and Mrs. Swanson's cocktail dresses and heels for their reservation at the formal dining room that evening, Mr. Swanson looked like he had swallowed a frog, it had been his big surprise and with the confusion around me joining them instead of Amber, he had completely forgotten to cancel Amber's dress and get me a suit.

"I can just go get pizza or something, you guys go and have fun, it will be ok, really," I did my best to be convincing, they could see the hurt in my face. All I could really think was that I didn't belong here.

Mr. Swanson couldn't stop apologizing and it got to the point where it was just making things worse, "Constantine, do you trust me?" Carla wrapped her arms around me, "I think my mom and I have an idea, but you have to trust me, ok?"

"You know I do," I turned in her arms and kissed her.

"All the clothes I give you, you like wearing them, right?" Mr. Swanson looked as confused as he was sorry.

"Yeah, they fit and they're nicer than anything I can get at the thrift store Rick shops at, and they make me think of you."

"And does it bother you that they are all girl's clothes?" I shook my head, looking over her shoulder at her mom as Mrs. Swanson took the dresses out of the bags, they had been delivered in, "So, we have an extra cocktail dress..." her voice drifted off.

"No way, it would never work, they would throw me off the boat," I pulled away and turned toward the wall.

"But you're not totally opposed to the idea, are you?" she came up behind me and put her arms around me again.

"Constantine," it was Mrs. Swanson, "They have a salon on the boat. We can go together, all three of us. They can do your hair and your nails and your makeup, nobody would ever know except us, and then you don't have to stay here by yourself while we all have a miserable dinner worrying about you.

"You'd worry about me?"

"Constantine, I worry about you all the time, Carla cares for you and that makes me care for you, too. You let Carla and Amber do your hair and makeup at her party, why not now?"

"You knew about that?" I spun around and looked at her.

"Constantine, I'm a mother, I know everything that happens in my house."

The dresses were hung in the closet and we went to breakfast, Mr. Swanson stopped at the salon and made an appointment for all four of us claiming it had been too long since he and Mary had gotten mani-pedis together.

The only downside was that the only available appointment was just after lunch and we would have to stay made up all afternoon. The girls at the salon were amazing, acting like what they were doing to me was the most normal thing in the world.

"I had a cancellation and have time for a wax, if you'd be interested," the girl was talking to me.

"Wax, wax what?" I asked, she laughed.

"So, this is not something you do all the time? You're so pretty, I thought... "She blushed almost as badly as I did," well, we can remove all the hair from your legs, chest, face and arms, if you want, it hurts a bit, but we have cream for that, and it makes a big difference."

Everybody was looking at me. When Carla nodded, I said, "OK."

She hadn't lied, about anything, it hurt like hell, but when she was done, my entire body was baby smooth, they even trimmed down there and did a thing they called a Brazilian. When they were done with my makeover, I couldn't believe what I saw in the mirror, when Amber and Carla had done my makeup, it had been enough to make me curious, but now, I was almost as pretty as Carla, even Mr. Swanson's toenails were a bright pink.

Back at the room, I grabbed my book and went out onto the veranda to read, everyone else just left me to my thoughts and curled up to watch a movie.

I had looked at myself in every mirror we had passed and the girl in the salon was right, I was pretty, very pretty. Guys would turn and look at not just us, but me and one even asked me if I would meet him at the water slide later, it was all so confusing, and just like all the other times, Carla had asked, and I had just said yes. I was having serious doubts about everything.

"Constantine, it's time to get ready," Carla came out and joined me. We were on the wrong side of the boat for the sunset, but the evening sky was beautiful as stars started to peek out of their hiding places, "It's going to be ok; I promise. It might even be fun, and I don't want to go without you, and I really want to go," she kissed me on the cheek. I got up and followed her inside.

One of Carla's bras with some tissue stuffed inside and the dress fit like it was made for me. The shoes were a bit of a challenge, wearing three-inch heels for the first time on a boat, even one this big is interesting, but I managed to get it down after a little practice, the lipstick the salon had given me and my room keycard in my purse and we were ready to go. I took a deep breath and looked at everyone's faces, there was nothing but love; I could do this. As we walked out the door, we decided I was Connie for the rest of the night.

Dinner was wonderful, by the time we arrived at the restaurant, I had realized that no one had a clue, and I could start to relax. Watching the faces when we walked into the restaurant was surreal, they all turned and looked at the tall handsome man with the three beautiful women in tow. Even when Carla had to take me to the bathroom to show me how to go potty, the lady we encountered as we touched up our lipstick commented on how proud our parents must be to have two such beautiful daughters.

After dinner, Mr. Swanson took us to the over-eighteen club on the ship, I didn't have my id and the doorman almost didn't let me in. I pouted a little and gave him my best "Pleeeease," promising that I had turned eighteen over the summer, when Carla joined in, he finally let me through the door getting a big kiss on the cheek and my best smile as his reward. Carla's parents had some serious moves on the dance floor, and Carla and I were surrounded, inundated with requests to dance, I don't think I said no to one of them. By the time they closed the club, I was elated and exhausted, and my feet were killing me. I had never had this much fun in my entire life.

"Is it always like that for you?" I asked softly as Carla and I cuddled trying to relax and go to sleep, "The attention, the guys falling all over themselves?"

"It was fun, wasn't it? but sometimes it just gets old," she let out a loud sigh, "It's nice to have a few friends that don't expect anything from me, like you and Amber," she kissed me and rolled over. I wrapped her in my arms, realizing for the first time her perfect life wasn't as easy as it had seemed.

Day three was Nassau, Mr. Swanson had prearranged a car to take us sightseeing and, of course, shopping, and the morning was a flurry of activity as we all waited our turn in the bathroom and bustled around getting ready, everybody except for me. Carla found me on the veranda, still in my pajamas just staring off the side of the ship, "Constantine, what's the matter?"

"Nothing, I just can't stop thinking about yesterday, last night, dinner, the club, the whole thing."

"It's ok, really, it was just the one time, and it was fun, wasn't it? I mean, you said you had fun..." she was trying so hard to help and misunderstanding so badly, I had to smile.

"Carla, that's just it, I had too much fun, what if it wasn't just a onetime thing? I'm not sad or upset, last night was wonderful," I turned toward her and looked at my feet, "It's just that," did I dare ask? I finally just blurted it out, "I'm trying to figure out how to ask if you'll let me do it again, I really want to borrow a cute outfit and have you and your mom help me with my makeup, I want to spend the whole day as Connie," I could feel myself starting to cry.

"You girls ok out here," Mr. Swanson was trying to be funny, and it just made things worse, I pushed past them both and ran to the bathroom.

"Daaaad," I heard Carla's voice as I closed the door behind me.

Knowing there was no escape, I blew my nose and wiped my eyes, got undressed and climbed in the shower hoping the hot water would wash away the confusion I was feeling. It helped, a little, but not near as much as what was waiting for me on the counter next to the sink, a clean pair of panties, the bra I had borrowed last night, a pair of khaki short shorts and a coral-colored tank top. I almost started to cry again.

My makeup only took a few minutes, Mrs. Swanson explaining that for a day like today, there was no need to go all out like we had for last night, a little rouge on my cheeks, eyeliner, light eye shadow, some mascara, and lip gloss and we were ready to go.

I looked at Carla, not really knowing what to expect, I smiled at her, she, she looked like she was proud of me.

We shopped, we went to see the fort, we had lunch, we shopped, Nassau was beautiful, it was an amazing day. Did I mention we went shopping?

We had pizza for dinner when we got back to the ship, watching Nassau shrink into the distance, "Are you really ok with this?" I was asking Carla, but all three of them just smiled at me and nodded.

When two guys we had seen at the club last night stopped by the table and asked Mr. Swanson if they could take us to the arcade after dinner, he smiled at Carla and then at me, "You girls have fun," this time he wasn't joking.

"Carla?" I rolled toward her, unable to find sleep. She seemed to know what I was going to ask.

"Connie, I love you, I do, I just want you to be happy," she pulled me close and kissed me.

"I love you, too, I'm so glad I met you."

The little pink bikini I had bought in Nassau was perfect for Castaway Cay, we hung out on the beach and snorkeled and swam with the stingrays, Mr. Swanson even bought us all massages. Constantine might have a little trouble explaining his tan lines, but Connie didn't care, she was having the time of her life.

The panic didn't start to set in until we were halfway home and I started looking at all the pictures Mrs. Swanson had uploaded to her cloud share, there were a few pictures of Constantine, but all the pictures of dinner and dancing, all the pictures of Nassau, all the pictures of Castaway Cay, they were of Connie, a pretty girl with a huge smile, what was I going to show Rick and Britney, how could I ever explain?
I spent Saturday night at the Swanson's and William took me home after lunch Sunday, I knew Rick and Britney wouldn't be home until later, so I had time to try and figure it all out. School on Monday would be back to normal, but explaining the pictures, explaining what had happened on the cruise to Rick and Britney, how was I going to do that?

I was worrying about nothing, "Hey sport, you have a good time," Rick asked as he stormed through the living room.

"Um, yeah, it was great," he didn't even hear me. Britney was close on his heels, not even recognizing that I was there, whatever was going on with them was getting more serious. They didn't seem mad, just really stressed, distracted.

Life did go back to normal, I printed out a picture of me and the Swanson's on the deck of the boat right after we boarded and gave it to Britney, it seemed to be enough, I saw Carla in class and at lunch and spent a lot of time at her house on weekends, some of it as Connie, and life was good, until the day before Christmas break.

I was in the kitchen making myself a sandwich for lunch, Rick had just gone to bed and Britney was still asleep, "Police!" was all I heard, the door shattered, and armed people in uniform stormed into the apartment, I was on my face being handcuffed and Rick and Britney were being dragged from their bedroom.

"Leave him alone, he doesn't know anything," Rick was screaming at the police, the look in his eyes as he saw me being led out the door next to him was so very sad. "I tried Constantine, I really did," he muttered the same phrase all he away to the police station, Britney just cried.

It didn't take long for the police to figure out that Rick had been telling the truth, I was beyond clueless, other than my uncle and his girlfriend had been stressed out about something lately.