A Love that Lasts Forever Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Caleb was glad for the privacy. Not that he didn't want to be sociable with the others but he was still a bit timid being his first time actually participating in the celebrations and also, well, he cherished the private moments between him and Quinton. They still had yet to consummate their mating but Caleb was hopeful. They both seemed to be getting a bit restless but Quinton had stayed true to his word that they were going to take things slow.

Caleb just wasn't sure how much longer he could wait. It felt strange to him, to officially declare themselves as a mated couple yet not share the same bed. He craved the intimacy that having a mate provided. It wasn't just sex either. He wanted to feel Quinton's arms around him, holding him through the night as he often did while cuddling with Caleb on the couch. Caleb felt safe in those arms. He felt peaceful. He felt at home snuggled up against his strong alpha. It was such a disappointment when they parted ways at the end of the night and headed off to their respective bedrooms. That was something Caleb couldn't wait to put an end to.

As the night drew on, Caleb found himself unable to eat anymore. Quinton had brought him a plate with a sampling of meats and side dishes. Quinton himself seemed to have a bottomless pit of a stomach. Most of the alphas did. Caleb noticed that the food went fast. Quinton did manage to get two servings of Caleb's baked beans before they were gone. As for Caleb, he took small bites of each thing offered to him, attempting to save room for more. That was easier said than done though. He hadn't even made it to the deserts and he was already feeling full. The run later that night would definitely do him good.

Sensing that Caleb was near his capacity for food tasting, Quinton decided to forego the rest of the salads and side dishes and head straight to the deserts table. He took a plate and, like the other foods, added small portions of each desert to the plate, giving Caleb a variety of things to choose from. It surprised him just how much he enjoyed serving Caleb. He'd seen other shifters do the same in the past, Zev being one of them. They seemed to really enjoying catering to their mates though Quinton never really understood the logic of it. He felt that the omega should serve the alpha, not the other way around. He could kick himself now for being so closed minded.

It really wasn't about serving or humbling oneself to another. It was about providing for the one you loved. The need to provide and protect was so deeply ingrained in an alpha that it had become second nature to them and when Caleb had accepted Quinton as his mate, as his real mate, those instincts had kicked in then jumped into overdrive. He had his wolf to thank for that. Even as he scanned the table for anything he might have missed, his wolf was howling inside him, wanting to start the hunt.

In the old days, wolves would present the omega's family with a gift of a fresh kill in hopes that the omega's father or closest male relative would accept the kill as a mating gift. Usually the wolf with the largest kill would be the victor. It was a sign to the family that he could provide for the omega and any future pups they would have. Such practices now were outdated but the full moon hunt was a way of keeping with old traditions so future generations of shifters didn't forget where they had come from.

Caleb had mentioned to Quinton that he found the notion rather romantic and that had settled it for Quinton, he would return from the hunt with the biggest buck he could find and Caleb would get first taste. By allowing Caleb to eat first, it showed the rest of the pack exactly what Caleb's status was among them. Quinton knew it was a bit showy but he wanted Caleb to really feel the love and respect that his new rank demanded.

For most of his life, Caleb had been left in the shadows, over looked, and basically forgotten about or not cared about. Quinton wanted to make sure that Caleb would never feel that way again and the best way to do that was to make sure that Caleb was accepted as the Alpha mate.

Quinton didn't think that anyone would oppose his decision hell, many of his pack mates had been hoping for it, but Caleb needed to see with his own eyes that the pack approved. He needed to feel their acceptance. Shelby might be the only one to protest at first but Quinton was certain that once she saw how happy Quinton was, she'd eventually give them her blessing. If not, well that was something he'd have to deal with a later date. Right now though, he had an omega to feed.

Quinton returned to their spot under the tree with the food in tow. Caleb's eyes went wide when he saw the plate piled high with so many sweets. "I hope you don't expect me to eat all of that." He said, grinning playfully.

"I'll help you eat it." Quinton gave him a quick wink as he sat down beside him.

Caleb leaned over, looking at the sampling of all the goodies. His eyes immediately went to a small square of fudge with chocolate icing smothered on top. His mouth began salivating the moment he caught the scent of it. Among all the others, this one, tiny, square smelled the most delicious. He reached out to take it from the plate but Quinton brushed his hand away. Caleb looked up, confused, then Quinton picked up the fudge square and held it out to Caleb.

"Allow me." He told Caleb, moving the treat closer to Caleb's mouth. Caleb cocked his head to the side, grinning sheepishly as a deep blush colored his face then he opened his mouth to accept the sweet gift and as soon as the chocolate touched his tongue he tasted an explosion of sugary perfection. His taste buds came alive as the savory goodness danced across his tongue. The sensation was almost orgasmic. So much so that Caleb actually moaned as he began to chew. He closed his eyes and let the entire experience consume him as he relished in the moment.

When he opened his eyes again he saw Quinton staring at him with a mixed expression of adoration and wonder.

"What?" Caleb asked with a slight chuckle. He picked up a napkin and wiped at his mouth, hoping to catch any stray crumbs that might have fallen out.

"Just watching you enjoy something as simple as chocolate fudge. It's like watching a pup on Christmas morning. That unbridled fascination when they see the mountain of gifts or the shimmering lights on the tree. I'm conflicted because I should feel angry that you were never allowed to enjoy the little things that so many take for granted and yet, I'm glad that I was here to witness your first taste and see the true beauty in the moment."

"Beauty?" Caleb chuckled. "In eating a piece of candy?"

Quinton smiled, brushing his finger tips over the side of Caleb's face. "Caleb, everything about you is beautiful. And, it's not just about eating a piece of candy. It's about how much enjoyment you take in doing something that I wouldn't have given a second thought to. You appreciate things on a level I can't even begin to understand."

Caleb nodded. "There are so many things I now know that I've missed out on. So many things that I want to try. I take the time to appreciate each new sensation because I don't ever want to lose the memory of that first time. That's something I think we lose in childhood. Those first memories. That's why we take pictures or record firsts in baby books. To preserve those memories, but the feelings and the awe that we experience in those moments is lost. Well, I want to preserve the feeling as much as the moment. So many things are lost to time. I don't want to lose anything else."

"You never have to worry about that, ever again." Quinton told him. "Here, with me, you can have as many 'firsts' as you want and I'll be here to experience each and every one of them with you." Quinton lifted Caleb's hand to his mouth and gently kissed it.

Caleb watched Quinton, with tears in his eyes. He finally understood the meaning of 'tears of joy' because he was happy now. Quinton made him happy. As much as he thought it would never happen, he'd found love again. Without saying another word, Caleb leaned forward and kissed Quinton on the mouth. Quinton wrapped his arms around his mate and held him close, kissing him back, the kiss sweeter than the food that lay on the ground, forgotten.

***

Shelby was standing just a few feet away, hidden from view in the tree line watching the loving scene play out before her eyes. A new kind of fury gripped her heart and crushed it. How could Caleb be so damn happy? He was supposed to be on his way out. Back to Silver Moon with the rest of the Silver Moon trash. Had Hollister not told the council about what she had reported to him? Maybe he had but they didn't find it as incriminating as she'd thought.

"Damn that little slut." She swore under her breath. He really did work fast. If he got his claws in any deeper, Quinton would be lost forever. First Rhys and now Quinton. It made Shelby's blood boil. Quinton deserved better than that little whore of an omega, a lot better. At this point she was convinced that he was using some form of witchcraft to control Quinton. It was the only thing that made sense. Quinton was a smart man. He'd have seen through Caleb by now if there wasn't some type of dark magic involved.

"I'll expose him to the entire pack." Shelby said, thinking out loud. She'd have to get Quinton away from his first though. That was a given. Not only for Quinton's own sake but also to strip away Caleb's only protection. With Quinton around, she'd never get close enough. The only question now though was how to do it.

As some of the other betas began to clear the chairs away, making ready to light the bonfire, Shelby began to formulate a plan. It was risky but she had to do something. For Quinton, and for the good of the pack, she had to act. It was just luck that the run would be starting soon. Once everyone had shifted and the alphas began the hunt, Caleb would be alone and totally defenseless. That was the time for Shelby to strike.

Everyone would be so focused on running, playing, or chasing game that they'd hardly notice one missing omega. Anyway, that was how nature worked, wasn't it? The stronger ones picking off the weak. It was time for Caleb to be knocked down a few pegs and realize once and for all that he didn't belong in Black River, and he most certainly didn't belong at the Alpha's side. Shelby grinned as she pictured the weak, sniveling, little Caleb under her claws. She'd put the fear of death into the boy and have him crawling back to Seth Bowden with his tail between his legs.

***

Caleb had never been so excited in all his life. It wasn't the first time he'd shifted. Even Seth Bowden wasn't stupid enough to forbid omega's from shifting. Every wolf, no matter what their rank or gender, needed to shift and let their beast run free. The more often the between though there were times when Caleb would go several months without the opportunity. Eventually though, when he was showing signs of stress or fatigue, he was allowed to run for an hour or two.

Those moments were the only times when he was ever truly happy at Silver Moon. It was the only time when he felt free. Often times, he would run through the woods, find the small stream near pack lands, and stop to drink the cool, fresh, water. Sometimes he'd even chase a squirrel or a rabbit and have a quick snack before returning to his dreary and unsatisfactory existence.

There were times he thought of not going back. He was fast in his wolf skin, most omegas were, and he could out run any alpha or beta. He probably could have made it to the main road before anyone even realized he was gone. In the end though, fear of the unknown had always kept him from escaping. He knew lone wolves didn't fare well and it was nearly impossible for an omega on his or her own to survive in the human world.

Tonight he would shift and run but there would be no thoughts of leaving and he wasn't shifting to escape the stress and unhappiness of his life. Caleb suddenly realized that he was about to have another 'first'. This would be the first time he'd be shifting with his mate. Caleb had seen Rhys shift to hunt, and Caleb had shifted in order to outrun Seth's betas, but he never really shifted with Rhys just to run and play leisurely in the woods.

Actually, he and Rhys never really had any truly carefree moments. Most of the time they were running for their lives, hiding from Silver Moon, and just trying to survive. The moments they did have just being together were few and far between. When they thought they were safe, when they thought maybe they could finally stop running, Rhys would spot one of Silver Moon's vans. Rhys truck was too noticeable. That was one problem. He couldn't park in out in the open without it being noticed and Bowden was relentless in having his beta's tracking them. Caleb prayed that he would just give up but that was not likely to happen.

In early spring, Rhys had found a small cottage just outside of Lancaster. It was surrounded by woods, didn't have much of a yard but as Rhylan hadn't been born yet Caleb didn't think it really mattered. What did matter was that it was private, secluded, and cheap. They had stayed there nearly a month. Caleb wanted to give birth there. It was the perfect place to raise their pup, surrounded by nature, and far from the prying eyes of humans. Really, it was a dream come true. But, like most of Caleb's dreams, it was short lived.

Rhys had gone into town to get supplies and food and once again his truck was spotted. In hindsight maybe he should have sold the truck or traded it in for something less conspicuous but he didn't want to do that. He used the truck for work and had it fitted with custom gear that you wouldn't find in any ordinary pick-up truck. The upgrades he'd made had cost a pretty penny and Rhys didn't think ditching the truck was a smart move. Especially if Bowden's men ambushed them which, is exactly what happened. In the end, the truck wasn't much help when Bowden's betas drove them off the road and into a tree. Neither of them had seen that coming.

Things were different now though. Caleb's days of running were over. Soon the three month trial period would be over, the council would see that Quinton and Caleb were happily mated and hopefully drop the whole thing. Caleb was ready to move on with his life now and start a new life with Quinton and Rhylan. Quinton had even talked of legally adopting the pup after he and Caleb had their official ceremony in front of the pack. Caleb thought Rhys would be pleased with that. He'd know that as long as his family was with Quinton they'd always be safe. He could rest in peace knowing that. He gave his life to keep them safe after all, and they were. They really were.

Caleb smiled at that thought. No more running, no more hiding, no more fears that someone would come in the night and snatch him away. He had a home now. A real home, and so did his pup. His pup could grow up in a pack that actually cared about it's members and with an Alpha that put the needs of others before his own. It made Caleb feel secure knowing that his pup would never have to witness the terrible things that went on in a pack like Silver Moon. No wolf should ever have to live their life in fear day after day. Now Rhylan would never have to know what that felt like.

"You ready?" Quinton came up behind Caleb and wrapped his strong arms around him then kissed the side of his neck. "They're getting ready to light the bonfire."

"Oh, I'm ready." Caleb turned around so that he was facing Quinton and kissed him back. He stood back and Quinton could see Caleb's eyes light up as a huge smile graced his attractive young face. "We can add this to my list of 'firsts'." Caleb told him. "First time running with the pack and first time running with my mate."

"Umm." Quinton hummed softly into Caleb's ear. "I love it when you call me mate. Makes it more real. Sometimes I think you're a dream and I'm scared I'll wake up and you'll be gone."

"Never." Caleb wrapped his arms around Quinton and hugged him close. "I'll be here for as long you want me."

"Then you'll be here forever." Quinton told him. "Because I'm never going to stop wanting you."

Caleb blushed. "If this weren't such an important 'first' I'd say blow off the whole run and find a nice private clearing in the woods for some other moon-light activity."

Quinton grinned, mischievously. "You know, we have the entire night. I'm sure you could talk Rusty into keeping Rhylan till morning. I know a really beautiful spot near the pond where we're sure to be alone."

"Really?" Caleb cocked an eyebrow. "That." He said as he planted feathery kisses along Quinton's chin and jaw line, "Sounds. Amazing."

Now Quinton was blushing. "Go talk to Russ." He drew Caleb into another quick hug. "I have a few things to do before the run but I shouldn't be long. Meet me back here in ten minutes."

Caleb nodded. "Right here." He pointed to the spot they were standing. "Under our tree."

"Our tree?"

"Yeah." Caleb giggled. "Our first date was under this tree so it's ours now."

Quinton chuckled. "Right here, under our tree." He agreed. He gave Caleb a quick slap on the ass as the omega took off to find his friend. Quinton had a feeling this was going to be a very good night.

***

There wasn't much to do. Quinton walked around, talking to different people, checking to make sure there were no problems, and that no one was where they shouldn't be. No children too close to where the fire would be lit, no little wolves running around unattended. Everyone was so excited, especially the children who were joining for the first time, eager to show off their newly shifted wolf to the rest of the pack.

Quinton knew he had to be vigilant. The teens liked to be in the center of things, trying to help out, but still too young to be trusted with anything dangerous. It was the same every year. The kids were pretty well behaved, only a few of them running around a little too close to where the fire would soon be blazing. Quinton moved them back a safe distance then went to check on the betas who were getting ready to light the whole thing up.

Everything seemed to be going to plan. For that, Quinton was thankful. He had a hard time concentrating on anything other than Caleb at the moment and the run that would soon take place. He realized just then that he'd never seen Caleb in wolf form and Caleb had never seen Quinton's wolf either. He could only imagine what the omega's wolf would look like. Small, and white. All omega's wolves were white. Most had other colors mixed in with their coats but the base color was always white. There wasn't an omega yet that Quinton had seen that wasn't beautiful in animal form and he was sure Caleb would be no exception.

The more he thought about it, the more eager to shift and run beside his mate he became. That, and the other things that may or may not happen. Just running through the woods with Caleb at his side was enough but Quinton had the feeling that Caleb wanted more and seemed to be getting more and more impatient with the waiting. Not that Quinton could really blame him. He was getting a bit impatient with it as well. Just the idea of having Caleb lay beneath him, their naked bodies pressed against each other as his hands explored Caleb's smooth flesh sent chills throughout his body and made his cock jump in hopeful anticipation.

After making his rounds and seeing that everything was indeed going to plan, he went back to the tree to find his mate. Caleb was waiting under their tree, as promised, wearing the brightest smile that Quinton had ever seen on the man. His auburn hair was loose and flowing freely over his shoulders and down his back. He was a stunning sight to behold. Quinton had always thought him beautiful but standing there now, drenched in the light of the full moon, a canopy of darkness behind him, he was ethereal.