A Love that Lasts Forever Ch. 15

Story Info
Caleb and quinton prepare for the full moon run.
13.9k words
4.93
3.2k
5

Part 15 of the 17 part series

Updated 06/16/2023
Created 07/28/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Chancem77
Chancem77
205 Followers

Shelby watched as Caleb exited the small office and headed back down the hallway. His appointment with Shane Hollister had lasted less than an hour. That didn't surprise Shelby though. She hadn't expected Caleb to divulge any real information to the man. He probably sat in there and told him that everything was fine and that nothing of any real importance had happened since their last meeting.

"What a crock of shit." Shelby whispered to herself. But, what did she really expect? That Caleb would willingly incriminate himself? And Hollister, was he so gullible that he just took everything the omega said at face value? All he had to do was dig a little deeper and he'd learn the truth. Black River was a small pack and in small packs people liked to gossip.

Shelby had done her own investigation and talked to several members of the pack and what she'd found out had shocked her. Hear-say wasn't enough to go on though. Rhys had told her that many times. You needed facts. Evidence that couldn't be disputed. Well, she had that too. She wasn't proud of the way she had come about the information but it was necessary. It's not like Quinton would have just handed it over to her without question. No, his head was so far up Caleb's ass that he couldn't even see the truth when it was staring him right in the damn face.

When Quinton had gone in for his interview with Hollister, Shelby had snuck down to Quinton's office, picked the lock, and let herself in. It didn't take her long to find Rhys file on Caleb, or at least a copy of it. The council probably had the original. She read through it quickly. There wasn't a lot of information in it which was unusual. Rhys normally kept detailed reports of his cases. It seemed that after he'd made contact with Caleb, the report just abruptly stopped.

It didn't matter anyway, really. Shelby wasn't really looking for accounts of Rhys day to day dealings with the omega. She wanted something more incriminating. Sifting through the papers she found the original details of the job. Seth Bowden hadn't wanted to divulge too much information on his runaway omega. He was supposed to mate with Seth's younger brother then he ran the night before the actual mating. What he failed to include was the reason why the omega was so important that he'd actually pay to have him returned.

Seth Bowden wasn't one to care about the fate of one lost omega let alone pay out good money to a bounty hunter to find him. It didn't make sense, unless you knew the whole truth of the matter which wasn't nessasarily a secret anymore. Practically everyone in the pack had heard by now that Seth Bowden suspected Caleb of having some kind of magical powers. He supposedly was some rare omega, a throw back to the past, that had the ability to heal others. Shelby found it all to be a bunch of bull until the incident happened with Rusty and Zev's pup.

These papers weren't giving her anything she could use against him though. Frustrated, she tossed the file on the desk and sighed. There had to be something. Something she'd overlooked. She wished she could get her hands on Hollister's files. Just for her own curiosity of course. Telling Hollister something he already knew wouldn't do her one bit of good. She wondered suddenly if Quinton would have copies of Hollister's notes.

She opened the file cabinet and began sifting through the different files. Most of them were about construction, finances, and personnel. Nothing of any real interest there. She was just about to give up when she saw a folder shoved in the back of the cabinet, almost as if hidden from preying eyes. The folder had Caleb's name written clearly on the tab. Shelby pulled it out and opened it, her eyes scanning over the first few pages. She couldn't believe what she was staring at it. It was too good to be true. A vicious smile stretched across her face as she closed the folder. "Bingo." She laughed. "I've got you now."

***

Hollister hurried to gather his papers together and return them to his brief case. He'd finished with his interviews for the week and was eager to get out of Black River territory and return to his office where he could write up his reports and then go home and relax some. He was just about to head out when the door opened and a young female beta entered the room.

"Mr. Hollister?" She asked, looking the gamma up and down. "My name is Shelby Kensington. I wondered if I might have a word with you."

Hollister sighed in frustration. Being held up by the girl was the last thing he wanted so late in the day. "I'm in a bit of hurry Miss. Kensington." He told her. "I have a lot of paperwork to get through and I really don't have the time to chat right now."

Shelby frowned. Obviously unappreciative of being talked down to. Representative of the council or not, the man was a gamma and therefore should show her the proper respect as a beta who out ranked him. "I assure you, Mr. Hollister, that I am not here for a chat. I have important information about Caleb Giles that I thought you might be interested in hearing."

Hollister rolled his eyes. "If you're here to tell me what a wonderful addition the pack he is and how everyone loves him then you can save your breath. I've heard it all before."

"Not at all." Shelby sneered at the man. "Quite the contrary. I believe that the council is interested in the omega's supposed powers. Well, I have evidence that supports the claim. I also believe him to be a deceitful little liar that had bewitched Rhys Hallorann and is now doing the same to Quinton. I believe that he is controlling the Alpha somehow and did the same to Rhys. Whether it's by some kind of magic I don't know but it's worth investigating. Don't you think?"

Hollister raised an eye brow as he studied the girl. She seemed sincere enough. He supposed it wouldn't hurt to indulge her a while longer. "That depends on what evidence you have." He said.

Shelby smiled smugly at the man as she dropped a folder on the table. "Luckily for us, Malcolm keeps very detailed records in the clinic. There had been some rumors going around about Caleb healing a sick child so I decided to do some digging and the entire account of what happened is in that file."

Hollister looked skeptical as he picked the folder up and opened it but once he began reading, Shelby saw a look of surprise cross his face. He looked up, narrowing his eyes. "And you say this happened just the other day?"

Shelby nodded. "Three days ago. They say the pup was near death."

"And how is he now, the pup?"

"Perfectly fine." Shelby told him. "You wouldn't even know that he was sick."

Hollister looked over the report again as though he couldn't quite believe it. "Remarkable. To your knowledge, has there been any other instances of the omega using his special abilities? Any other acts of healing to report?"

"Not that I'm aware of but it wouldn't surprise me if there were. Quinton keeps him pretty well guarded."

"I see." Hollister closed the folder then slipped it quickly into his brief case. "You had also mentioned that you felt the boy had 'bewitched' both Rhys and Alpha Hallorann. Please explain what you mean by that."

Shelby rubbed the back of her neck as she diverted her eyes away from the man. "Well, maybe bewitched was a bit of a stretch. I don't have any real evidence, other than my gut, but from research I've done on these so called special omegas, the ones from lore had the ability to influence people. To what extent I don't know. I couldn't find a lot of information on them, it's mostly old wives tales and legends. But I knew Rhys, on a professional level, and what happened with that omega was totally out of character for him. Rhys would never have fallen in love with a mark. He knew better."

"And Alpha Hallorann?" Hollister watched Shelby closely with a scrutinizing gaze. "You feel that he too has been compromised?"

"That's a bit more difficult to tell. Quin is smart, but his dedication to duty may have clouded his judgment. I am certain, however, that Caleb is using him to achieve his own goals. Quin himself told me that their mating was only temporary. Once the council approves Caleb's placement in Black River, they plan to have the mating dissolved. I truly believe that was Caleb's plan all along. To worm his way into our pack. At first he was using Rhys but once he was killed, he turned his sights to Quin. I believe that everything that's happened, Caleb has somehow orchestrated, influencing others to do what he wants. It's been his plan from the very beginning."

Hollister looked skeptical. It was one thing to believe that Caleb had special abilities that others did not but an entirely different thing to believe that an omega could devise such a well laid out plan and then actually put said plan into action. "If what you are saying is true then what do suspect is the reasoning behind these actions? What's his end game?"

Shelby let out a deep breath, shaking her head. "That I can't say. Though, I think it is entirely possible that he was telling the truth about wanting to escape an unwanted mating. That's the only thing I think he's been truthful about. I also think he's been hiding the fact that he has special abilities. He keeps denying it but I think he's known the entire time. Maybe he was afraid of what Seth Bowden would do with him or force him to do if the truth came out."

"So you feel that his actions have been defensive?"

"Maybe. Self-preservation or not though, it doesn't excuse him manipulating others to get what he wants. There's no place in this pack for wolves that can't be trusted. He's already caused enough trouble for Quin and the pack. First with Rhys death and now with Quin caught in the middle of a pack dispute over ownership. In my opinion, Caleb belongs to Seth Bowden and should be returned to him. There shouldn't be any question in the matter."

"Really?" Shelby had peaked Hollister's curiosity. "There are some who say that an omega is not the property of an alpha and should be allowed to make their own choices. Do you not agree?"

"No." Shelby shook her head emphatically. "An omega is not capable of making logical choices regarding their own care and protection. That's a fact that has been proven time and time again. Without an alpha to take charge, the omega simple can not thrive. They're born be to dominated and manage best under the control of a stronger shifter."

"You make an interesting case, Miss. Kensington." Hollister lifted his briefcase from the table then moved towards the door. "I will look into you claims before sending my report to the council. If the council finds cause to investigate your allegations then more serious actions may be taken. I thank you for the information you've provided. You've been most helpful."

Shelby nodded. "Anything more I can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask."

"That's appreciated." Hollister gave Shelby one more quick glance then excused himself from the room.

Shelby grinned, obviously pleased with herself. She was certain now, that Caleb's days were numbered. As soon as the council read Hollister's report, the omega would be sent back to Silver Moon where he belonged and out of Quinton's life for good.

***

Caleb walked nervously to the long row of folding tables, his hands gripping tightly the edges of the large casserole dish he'd found in Quinton's cupboard. The dish was white with daisies painted on the side. Quinton's mother's dish no doubt and probably hadn't been used in a decade. Quinton was glad to see it taken out and put to good use once more. Caleb wasn't sure how Quinton would feel about him bringing out his mother's good dishes but Quinton explained that everything in that house now belong as much to Caleb as it did Quinton, and he was free to use whatever he wanted.

Caleb had nearly melted at his Alpha's words and the sentiment lead to another, albeit quick, make-out session. One that Caleb had to reluctantly put a stop to if he were going to get the food ready in time. As far as what dish he'd planned to prepare, Caleb had painstakingly studied every recipe book he could find in the house. Quinton's mother had recipes for dishes that Caleb had never even heard of before and he wanted to try them all. For this event though, he chose something he was relatively familiar with though adding a few tweaks that he found in the elder shifters books.

This was the first time that he would be cooking for the entire pack and he wanted the dish to be perfect. Not that anyone would complain if it wasn't. Not like in Silver Moon when his father had beaten him for preparing a rather savory dish of broccoli salad. His father said it was an embarrassment, feeding a pack of wolf shifter vegetables. Caleb learned never to make that mistake again.

He knew obviously that Quinton would never beat him for such a small mistake but he still didn't want to be the cause of any embarrassment for his new mate so he tried to stay away from dishes where the main ingredient was either fruits of vegetables though to his surprise, as he neared the table, he saw many dishes set out that didn't contain meat at all. The men were busy grilling anything from hot dogs to venison but the women (and the omegas) had brought a wide variety of different side dishes.

He surveyed the offerings, so different from what he would find at his old pack. There were bowls of macaroni and potato salad, different types of pasta salads, salsa and chips, cheesy potatoes, and one older shifter had even brought a cucumber and tomato salad. At the other end of the table were the deserts, something Silver Moon never had as they felt it was too human.

Caleb wasn't about to complain though, in fact, he couldn't wait to make his way towards that end of the table. From where he was standing he could see, and smell, a wide array of cakes and pies, puddings, jello salads, cookies, brownies, fruit salads, and something Rusty had said was called ambrosia salad. It all looked so delicious that he wasn't sure which one to try. Maybe he'd try them all. He grinned to himself as he slid his dish between a pan of cheesy potatoes and a bowl of macaroni and cheese. If this were how every social gathering at Black River went, he was going to end up as one fat wolf.

Caleb's contribution wasn't a mouth watering or sugary dessert but he hoped the pack found it just as appetizing. Quinton seemed eager to try some, though Caleb had warned him not to eat any ahead of time. He'd made baked beans with a brown sugar based sauce that included barbecue, and Worcestershire sauce, all topped with pieces of fried bacon. It smelled delicious when Caleb had taken it out of the oven which had originally drawn Quinton's attention. He seemed delighted at the use of his mother's old recipe. Seeing Quinton so happy put a huge smile on Caleb's face.

Full moon usually started with a community meal though Silver Moon had never had a spread quite like the one Black River had, and the over all atmosphere was a lot more jovial. By nightfall, after everyone had eaten, the run would begin. Each shifter who was old enough to change would take on their wolf form and run through the forest chasing small prey or romping around with others in friendly play. The alphas would undoubtedly compete to see who would be the first to take down a large buck that would later be shared with the rest of the pack.

Caleb had never been permitted to run with the pack before. Omegas weren't allowed to join in community events other than to cook and clean up after wards. Black River was different though and Quinton assured Caleb that he, as well as the other omegas, were more than welcome to join in. Caleb, in fact, was expected to join as the Alpha mate.

The pups who were too young to shift were being watched by the elderly shifters who chose not to participate. Caleb had been hesitant about leaving Rhylan with someone else but Rusty assured him that the pup would be well cared for. As this was Caleb's first time actually being a part of the full moon celebrations, everyone wanted him to enjoy himself and have the best experience possible. Well, almost everyone. Shelby had been giving Caleb dirty looks since he'd walked up to the tables but he did his best to ignore her. Nobody, not even Shelby, was going to ruin this night for him. He'd make sure of that.

***

Quinton made the rounds, checking on everyone, seeing if anyone needed help but like most full moon gatherings, everything was going smoothly. Zev had a few of the older teens carrying out folding chairs then setting them up near the fire pit. A group of betas had already brought enough wood over to build a raging inferno instead of the small bonfire that was intended. Quinton had to smile at their enthusiasm though. It really warmed his heart to see the entire pack come together for these events. It was a show of how close and caring this community of shifters were.

After checking on the preparations for the bonfire, Quinton made his way over to the tables where food was being set out. He saw Caleb walking around looking over the different dishes, even sniffing a few of them. The young omega was totally in awe. He perused each pan, bowl, and casserole dish, taking his time to appreciate the savory aroma of each as though it were the first time he had ever seen such a feast and, Quinton suspected, it probably was. Making his way over to Caleb, his mate, wolf God how he liked the sound of that, he placed a hand on the boy's shoulder and Caleb immediately turned and smiled up at him.

"Are you enjoying yourself?" Quinton asked him.

"Oh, yes." Caleb exclaimed with excitement. "I can't believe how much food is here. The side dishes are amazing but the deserts look absolutely scrumptious, I want to try them all."

Quinton chuckled. "Well, just make sure you save room for barbecue. Once you've tasted Zev's home made sauce you'll likely never want to eat anything else."

"Hm. You think so?" Caleb gave Quinton a sly smile as he looked into the alpha's eyes. "I can think of something way more delicious." He drew himself up on his toes, wrapping his arms around Quinton's neck then pressed his lips against Quinton's. Quinton encircled Caleb's waist with his arm, pulling the omega up and closer against him so that their bodies were pressed against each other and he melted into the kiss.

"You're right." Quinton whispered when they finally drew apart. "Your lips more delectable than anything on this table."

A pink blush rose up to Caleb's cheeks at hearing Quinton's words. He would have gone in for another kiss but he suddenly realized that they had drawn a small crowd of on lookers. A few of the younger betas cheered Quinton on and he gave them a stern glare that was followed by an amused and lighthearted grin.

"Come on." Quinton smirked. "Let's go someplace a bit more private." He rested his hand at the small of Caleb's back then led him away from the table and towards a shaded area under a large oak. Caleb nodded and allowed himself to be led away though noting the amused looks of some of the other shifters as they walked.

Quinton was relieved to see that so many of the pack had readily accepted Caleb and his new status as Alpha mate, though not everyone seemed as happy with it. Quinton couldn't mistake the look of contempt on Shelby's face as she scowled at them. Quinton would have a heart to heart with her later but for now, he wanted to spend his free time with Caleb. After all, this was the first time he'd attended the full moon celebration as a mated alpha and he planned to make the night as special as possible for himself, and for Caleb.

***

Caleb and Quinton were both sat beneath the oak, still within view of many of the pack who sat around either on the ground or in chairs, but they were far enough away from the others that they could eat in private. Normally Quinton's pack mates would have come up to him as most were going around from group to group visiting, but moving Caleb off to a secluded spot as he had was a clear sign to all that they wished to be left alone.

Chancem77
Chancem77
205 Followers