A Love that Lasts Forever Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

While such rituals weren't common place any longer, Quinton still felt the need to prove his worthiness to Caleb and, maybe, to the rest of the pack as well. Taking a mate wasn't something that he considered lightly. It was a life long commitment and he didn't want there to be any doubt in anyone's mind that he wasn't capable of taking care of his pack and a new family. So, while the hunt was meant for sport and recreation, it also held significance in another way. It was a sign that he was serious about claiming his mate, and ready to take on this new role in his life.

Just thinking about Caleb, about making their mating official, stirred Quinton's most primal emotions. His wolf was sick of waiting. He wanted to claim Caleb now but Quinton knew that would have to wait. He slid his hands up Caleb's body to his hips. He let his hands rest of the soft, hot, flesh for just a moment then slowly began to tease Caleb pants down.

He pushed them down over his hips and past his legs until they pooled around Caleb's bare feet. Caleb kicked them off and Quinton tossed them to the side. Quinton let his hands slide along Caleb's bare flesh, stopping to rest on his outer thighs. Again, Caleb's breath hitched, and Quinton felt him quiver as he struggled to remain standing. At once Quinton wrapped his arms around the young man and held him up. Their bodies touching now and he could feel the heat rising between them.

When Caleb encircled Quinton's neck with his arms then gently brushed his lips across Quinton's, Quinton felt his arousal. There was no hiding it now and Quinton knew that Caleb wanted him as much as he wanted Caleb. At any other time, Quinton would have taken the young wolf right there under their tree, but this wasn't any other time and Quinton had to remember, there was a whole pack waiting for him. He did his best to suppress his desire, though not an easy feat, and remind Caleb of their first duty. Caleb made a pouting face but then smiled and nodded.

Caleb gave Quinton a quick kiss then took a step back. He let his head drop back so that he was facing the sky. Arching his back some, he closed his eyes and let the change take over. Silver-white fur flowed over his body in a wave and a moment later, he was on all fours and looking up at Quinton, waiting for a reaction.

Quinton looked over the wolf before him. His shift was fast, faster than what could register to a human eye but Quinton was able to watch as his mate had gone from man to beast. The only thing now that resembled the man were the amber eyes staring up at him. Quinton knelt down and ran his fingers through the soft, silvery, mane of fur. Caleb could lay to rest any fears he had about Quinton not 'liking' his wolf, he was absolutely in love with it.

While wolf shifters were, on average, larger than normal wolves, Caleb was still considered rather small. Omegas usually were, regardless of gender. Alphas tended to be the largest, then betas, and gammas. But, what omegas lacked in size and strength they more than made up for in speed and agility. In a four footed race, Caleb would leave Quinton in a cloud of dust. That thought made Quinton grin. His little wolf, out matching him in speed.

"You are absolutely beautiful." Quinton told his mate. "Just like I knew you would be but you've really exceeded my expectations."

Caleb turned his head away bashfully.

"Don't turn away from me." Quinton chuckled. He stood up and looked down, grinning mischievously. "Now, my turn."

A shiver ran over his body and Quinton flexed his muscles. Suddenly he was on the ground on all fours, there was a jolt of power emanating from him, like a ripple through the air and then there was an eruption of thick, black, fur that spread quickly over his entire body. His face grew into a long snout with sharp teeth, and his once dark, brown eyes were now green orbs peering out from within the darkness. Even in wolf form he was heavily muscled and very imposing looking. He towered over the small silver wolf before him, easily twice his size, but Caleb wasn't frightened or intimidated by him at all.

Taking a few short steps forward, Caleb rubbed his head under Quinton's jaw line then nuzzled him. Quinton returned the sentiment by licking the side of Caleb's head and his ear. Caleb let loose with an adorable little bark then lowered his front half in a playful manner as he wiggled his ass, swishing his tail side to side and jumped at Quinton. If wolves had the ability to laugh Quinton would have bellowed out a loud one.

All the timidness and uncertainty that Caleb showed as a human was completely gone in his wolf form. He snarled and hopped around as though he were a vicious predator stalking his prey then suddenly head butted Quinton in the side. It wasn't meant to be harmful or even aggressive. Just a nudge saying, "Chase me." Quinton obliged. As Caleb took off into the woods at top feed, Quinton chased after him, nearly losing him in his haste but Caleb slowed to allow his mate to catch up.

Quinton huffed then pounced at the smaller wolf, knocking him over. Caleb rolled and was on his feet again in an instant and ready for more play but just as he was about to bolt for the woods again, they both started at the sound of an alpha wolfs howl. Zev and the others were eager to get the hunt started. Playtime would have to wait. Quinton looked to Caleb and Caleb gave a nod, telling Quinton it was okay to go. Quinton nuzzled him again, and again gave him a quick lick on the side of face before racing off into the woods in the direction of Zev's howl.

Caleb watched his mate run off but he wasn't bothered by being left on his own. The alphas deserved this time to run and hunt and blow off steam. Besides that, Quinton had made Caleb a promise and Caleb was excited to see Quinton keep that promise. No one had ever hunted for him let alone shared the full moons hunt kill with him and Quinton had promised him the first bite. It was an archaic tradition but Caleb was glad that Quinton had revived it. Just the sentiment alone meant so much to him. It made him feel wanted. It felt like he mattered, and that's all he's ever really wanted.

With Quinton off hunting with the other alphas, Caleb was free to run around, chase small game, and just enjoy the night. He seldom had the chance to shift and let his wolf run free and being able to now just felt so amazing. After playing for a bit, Caleb decided he'd go find the other omegas whom he was sure were getting up to no good. He grinned internally. He couldn't wait to join in with their shenanigans.

He turned and listened for the sounds of any other wolves. His ear perked when he heard the barks and playful growls of the others. They weren't far. He turned and headed in that direction when he stopped suddenly. Something had caught his attention, causing his hackles to rise. He crouched down, making himself small and flattened his ears against his head, as he sniffed the air. There it was. The scent of another wolf, a female beta. Caleb growled low. He could guess who it was and he wasn't happy about it. She was watching him silently, just out of sight, the way one might watch and stalk their prey before attacking.

Caleb didn't like this. His wolf didn't like this. Memories of the betas who'd attacked him at Silver Moon sprang to his mind and he knew suddenly that he had to get out of there. Taking in a deep breath he darted through the trees and towards the sound of the others where he knew he'd be safe. Shelby wouldn't dare attack him in front of the others. She wasn't stupid.

As he raced through the trees he caught the scent of Shelby's wolf close on his heels. If it wasn't for his speed, she would have caught him by now but he was faster. He swerved, weaving between trees, trying to throw her off his trail but Shelby was a tracker. Caleb wouldn't would be able to lose her easily. Rhys had trained her after all and Rhys had been damn good at his job.

Caleb had nearly reached the small group of omegas that had gathered near the pond when he felt a

whoosh of air whiz past him. Something large and grey leapt out from the shadows and flanked him. An explosion of pain caused him to yelp and he stumbled to the ground, skidding on his side into a near-by tree that he hit with some force. His hind leg on the right side was burning and when he turned his head to look, he noticed deep claw marks in his haunch.

He attempted to push himself up, still intent on reaching the others, when Shelby stepped out and stood over him, snarling, ears back and ready to attack. The grey fur on her back was raised and her back was arched. She wasn't playing. This wasn't a game. She really meant to harm him, maybe even kill him, and there wasn't a soul around to stop her either.

This is it. Caleb thought. I'll never outrun here now, not with an injured leg. That was probably her plan all along. Hobble me so I can't run. If that was her plan then she had Caleb right where she wanted him. Helpless, exposed, and alone. He could lay there he supposed. Submit and maybe she'd leave him bleeding but alive but that didn't seem logical on her part. She wouldn't want him running back to Quinton and telling him what she'd done.

Quinton would not be letting her off with a warning this time. She'd attacked Caleb and just after Quinton had announced to the entire pack that he planned to officially claim him as his mate. Attacking the Alpha mate held the same consequences as attacking the alpha himself. If he were lenient, he'd banish her. If not, it would be a challenge to the death. That was the law. If Caleb were dead though, there would be no witnesses to point the finger at Shelby.

Caleb shivered. His options were limited and had the same results. Try to run and be killed. Fight back and be killed. Submit and be killed. Either way, he was dead. He couldn't outrun her with an injured leg and he couldn't win a fight against her. She wasn't as big as an alpha but she was bigger and stronger than Caleb. He cursed himself for being such a weak, useless omega. Just when he thought life could be better for him, when he felt that he could actually belong for once in his life, fate stepped in and threw him down again.

Well, the old Caleb would have just lay down, closed his eyes, and accepted his fate. The new Caleb though decided that if he were going to die, he'd die fighting. Shelby would walk away from the fight, victorious, but she'd be walking away with a limp. Maybe he could inflict enough damage on her that she wouldn't be able to hide, that Quinton would know immediately that she was the one who'd murdered his mate. At least that way he'd get some kind of justice.

Pushing himself up, Caleb lowered his head and growled a warning. His eyes met hers and for a second, she actually looked shocked. Shelby hadn't expected Caleb, an omega, to challenge her. That was her mistake. She obviously didn't know her enemy as well as she thought. Caleb puffed himself up, trying to look bigger, and as intimidating as he could. He was small but he was still a wolf. It was time to act like one.

Folding his ears back and with full focus on the wolf in front of him, Caleb darted forward, snapping his jaw near Shelby's front paws, trying to drive her back. It was a defensive move. Attempting to surprise or confuse, giving him enough of a window to turn and run but Shelby wasn't falling for it. She backed up only a few inches then danced around to the side, blocking Caleb's escape. With a show of teeth she growled then lunged forward, aiming for Caleb's throat.

He was able to sidestep and parry her attack, but only for a moment. Shelby headbutted him hard in the side. Caleb barked and whimpered as he went down. Shelby saw her opening and pounced, pinning Caleb to the ground. He struggled underneath her, managing to bite the lower half of her leg and then kick at her with his hind legs like a cat.

Caleb hoped that injuring the larger wolf would be enough to get her off him but it only seemed to piss her off, making her that much more strong and determined to end him. She went for the killing blow again but Caleb was able to stave off the attack by racking his back claws along her belly. She howled in rage and pain but shifted her weight enough that Caleb was able to wiggle out from beneath her. He gathered all the strength that he had then, lowering his head, charged forward and hit her broadside as hard as he possibly could.

Both wolves went down fast, skidding through the dirt and leaves, creating a large dust cloud. Shelby was knocked into a thick thorn bush while Caleb crashed into the side of a large rock. Stunned, it took him a moment to regain his senses and pull himself to his feet. He was aching all over and so weak he could barely stand but he knew this was the only chance he had to get away. The force of his blow had momentarily stunned Shelby too and she struggling to untangle herself from the brambles.

Caleb seeing her struggle, sucked in a deep breath of air, then tore away through the woods, hurdling a fallen tree he nearly fell but his determination and desire to survive was stronger than any pain he felt in his limbs. He ran as fast as his legs would carry him, finally breaching the edge of the forest and crashing through the tree line. The small group of omega's lounging in the moonlight near the pond suddenly looked up in surprise. Caleb let out a mournful yawl before collapsing in the grass.

Shelby, who had been close behind him, stopped at the tree line and froze. The omegas surrounded Caleb and when they saw the grey wolf looking at them from within the cover of the trees, they began growl and gnash their teeth. Shelby backed away from them. They were small and one on one posed little threat but a group of them was dangerous. Especially when one of their own was injured. One beta against four or five omegas was not a fight that Shelby could win so she decided to cut her loses and retreated back into the woods.

With the danger gone, the omegas rallied around Caleb, each of them sending out a distress howl, alerting not only the alphas but the rest of the pack as well. Soon the clearing would be filled with their pack mates but until then, all they could do was wait. Most of the omegas lay next to Caleb, keeping him warm. Rusty shifted and went to the pond to gather water that he tried to get Caleb to drink. Caleb turned his head away though, closing his eyes, too weak to do anything but lay there, panting breathlessly while a stray whimper escaped him now and then.

It didn't take long for the others to arrive. Quinton and Zev were the first in the clearing followed by a group of betas. Quinton was at Caleb's side in a heart beat. He licked the side of Caleb's neck then nudged him with his nose. When all Caleb did was whine a little, Quinton looked up, catching Rusty's eyes. Rusty didn't need to be in wolf form to know what his Alpha was asking.

"It was Shelby." Rusty said grimly. "She ran off when we spotted her." He nodded his head towards the tree line.

Quinton turned to Zev who nodded and the two suddenly tore off in the direction that Shelby had gone. Malcolm had shifted as well as several betas and was kneeling down, looking over Caleb's injuries.

"He's too weak to shift without help." Malcolm told them. "We need to get him back to the clinic."

A large, muscular beta, standing near-by nodded. "I'll carry him." He said.

"Good, let's hurry."

The beta picked Caleb up and began walking, followed closely by Malcolm, Rusty, and the other omegas, still in their wolf forms. Two more betas flanked them, keeping watch just in case Shelby attacked again. It would have been foolish but they were taking no chances. The life of the Alpha mate was in their hands and they would guard him with their lives. If Shelby came anywhere near him now, they'd take her down swiftly and easily. Her life was forfeit now anyway. Once Quinton found her, she'd be begging for death.