A Monster Life Ch. 57-60

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Zorech glared at him. 'You're not getting any information from me.'

Ulric looked at the woman and she promptly pointed out the direction. He gave her a friendly smile. 'Thank you.' he said, and jumped from the wall at the inside and slowed down his descend with the claws of one paw.

He ran across fields within a wide open area surrounded by wooden and natural stone walls and skirted the buildings of the settlement in the middle, until he ended up in the corner where a few of the Dal people tried to stop a small group of demons. Very familiar demons. 'Our opponents are here!'

The girls tensed. 'The ones who attacked us?' asked Valdys.

Ulric growled and sprinted towards Muni. 'Yes!'

Elyta noticed Ulric first. 'It's them!'

Tarrence dropped the Dal he just stabbed and glared at the kids huddled together in the stable at his side. 'Change of plans. Grab a kid and pull out.'

The four of them moved fast. Each snatched a kid from the crying group and put a dagger at their throats to stop Ulric at a short distance from them. 'Don't even think about attacking us.' said Tarrence.

Ulric growled low. 'Cowards.'

'Pragmatists.' said Tarrence. 'You know what we want. Have them give it up to us, or we'll take out these kids. No tricks, or it's farewell to them.'

Ulric gritted his teeth while the demon party dragged the kids up the back wall and slipped over it. 'They want the artefact piece or they'll kill the kids they took hostage.'

'What!?' said Iphigenia. 'How can we prevent that?'

Ulric walked back to where he came from. 'I have no idea.'

He stopped when the commander and his troops blocked his way. 'You!' shouted Zorech. 'Taking our children won't do you any good! We will not yield to any of your attacks!'

Ulric sighed. 'I did not take your children. The demon party did and they want an artefact you might have in return for them.'

Zorech looked puzzled at him. 'What artefact? We don't have anything of much value here. And even if we did, we won't give in to any enemy's demands.'

Ulric jumped forward, hit Zorech's sword out of his hand, then lifted him up by the front of his uniform. 'You're telling me you'd let your own children die!?' he growled.

Zorech struggled in futility to free himself. 'We never give in to demons.' he wheezed. 'We keep safe like that.'

Ulric dropped him to the ground. 'You go on staying safe like that then. I won't let any child come to harm if I can prevent it. We're going to search for the artefact, and if anyone stands in our way, I'll toss them over the wall for their own safety, understand?'

The troops parted rapidly as he stepped forward on his way back to the wall. 'Girls, we're going to find that artefact.'

Conchim tied a rope ladder to two hooks on the top of the wall. 'There is no door in this wall except for the space near the top where they launch those wind crafts, but I found rope ladders here, which the others can use to climb up the wall.'

A little later, Ulric met up with her and Iphigenia, Kaui, Valdys, and even Susi at the bottom of the wall. 'Great work, my cute bird.' he said and looked in wonder at Susi wagging her tail. 'You climbed up the ladder?'

Susi shook her head. 'Conchi mom flew up with Susi.'

He chuckled and smiled at Conchim, and she stroked Susi's head. 'I figured we can always use another nose.'

Ulric looked around at the nervous Dal observing the demon party from a little distance behind corners and greenery. He took one of the artefact pieces from Valdys and held it up between two fingers. 'The demon party that has taken four of your children hostage is looking for a stone piece with a rune like this! If anyone knows anything about it, tell us! We will tear down this place if we have to, to find it and exchange it for the children!'

The Dal fidgeted but none spoke up.

Ulric handed the piece to Valdys again. 'Fine! Don't stand in our way! We're not giving up on them!' he said and turned to the girls. 'How will we proceed?'

Trixy crawled out of Valdys's hood and chittered. 'She and I will gather spirits to help us search.' said Valdys.

Conchim looked up at the sky. 'I'll fly up and survey the area. Maybe I can spot some interesting places.'

Iphigenia put her hand on Kaui's shoulder. 'Kaui and Susi and I will walk around to do the same.'

Ulric nodded. 'Then I'll see if I can have a talk with whoever is in charge of this place.' he said, and reached out to Elzbieta as he went to look for the commander. 'Elz?'

She relaxed in her chair after she returned from the first meeting with the elders. 'Yes, darling?'

'How're you doing, sweetheart?'

She sighed. 'It is as Xantian said when they showed up. They accused me of the things we did as violations against elf law, not as actually bad things themselves, although they phrased it that way'

Ulric shook his head. 'What would be the point of arresting you then?'

Elzbieta shrugged. 'Maybe to set an example of me. I might have concurred with them before I met you, darling. But to be honest, I think there's more to this.'

Ulric stopped. 'Like what?'

'I'm not sure, but I'll probably be hearing more about it later.'

Ulric nodded slightly and hummed. 'All right. Tell me as soon as you know. I'll come for you if there's any danger.'

Elzbieta smiled. 'I know. You be careful as well.'

***

The old man muttered, then leaned forward with his elbows on his desk as he frowned. 'I have no knowledge of any kind of thing that you're describing. But it doesn't matter because we would not hand it over. No outsider can tell us what to do.'

Ulric growled at Jomal, the Dal leader. 'Are your own kids really that worthless to you?'

'It is our way to survive. As we have done for generations since what was left of our people fled to this place and defended it from demon invaders.'

Ulric slammed his paws on the desk and Jomal shot back in his chair. 'We're not talking about an invasion! We're talking about four demons who are only after one object!'

Jomal cleared his throat and straightened himself. 'A great wall only needs a small weakness to come down. We can't allow any weakness. It is our way.'

Ulric stood upright and took a deep breath through his nose. 'I said it before, don't stand in our way of finding the stone and saving the children.' he said, and left, slamming the door on his way out.

***

The girls and Ulric gathered at a group of benches at the centre of the village after spending a long time searching everywhere outside and asking every person they saw if they knew anything about the artefact. Conchim rested her wings behind her. 'I could find nothing that stood out. No seemingly hidden place around the perimeter or on top of the canyons.'

Kaui held Susi on her lap. 'Susi found several hidden stores of ale and mead, but we found nothing else on our side.'

'Neither did I.' said Iphigenia.

Valdys stroked Trixy's tail. 'Nothing from the spirits either, apart from startled people when they popped up in their homes.'

Ulric sighed while he spun one of the artefact pieces around between his fingers. 'Either these people are incredibly stubborn, or they really have no idea where the piece could be.'

Valdys noticed a boy staring at them from behind the well close by. She gave him a little smile. 'You look like you want to ask something, correct?'

The boy gave a quick nod after a moment.

She held out her hand. 'Well, you can stay there or come closer.'

He hesitated again, then stepped slowly forward.

'What do you want to ask, boy?'

He stood a little away from them and looked at the stone in Ulric's paw. 'Are you really going to free my friends?'

Valdys nodded. 'That is the plan, yes. As soon as we can find what the kidnappers are demanding in return.'

He pointed at the stone. 'Something like that?'

The party held their breath. 'Have you seen something like this somewhere?' asked Valdys.

The boy nodded.

***

The lock on the door of Elzbieta's room rattled again, and Dolk stepped inside. 'I came to inform you of our deliberations.'

Elzbieta gave him a blank look from her place by the window.

Her ex closed the door behind him, walked up to the window, and looked outside. 'The charges are very serious, Elzbieta. You must know the consequences can be very severe.'

Cold silence was her only reply.

He turned to her and smiled slightly as he looked her up and down. 'Seems no one else noticed how you changed. Then again you were so graceful with your prosthetics that anyone who did not know about your misfortune couldn't tell you had only one arm and leg. Now they can't tell that you've regained your lost limbs.' He stepped around her. 'Tell me, how is this even possible? Healing magic like this is unheard of, so is it some new demonic magic? And what was the price? Your allegiance to that demon party? Or according to some rumours, your now perfect body?'

Elzbieta's gaze at him reached freezing temperatures, and he chuckled. 'Are you subjecting yourself to that monster perhaps? Fulfil his beastly carnal instincts in order to keep him pleased and not rip the flesh from your bones?'

Elzbieta leaned only a tiny bit closer but it was enough to spear her lethal look between his eyes. 'You will never be the man that he is.'

Dolk took a step back and smiled without joy. 'Still enough of one to offer you leniency and help you. I can have the elders forget about what happened, if you agree to become mine. There's no denying you are one of the most desirable women and your family name still receives high praise. I can overlook any beast that has touched you until now.'

Harsh winter seemed to have arrived in the room, but Elzbieta's eyes burned hotter than the summer sun. 'You discarded me like a broken tool when I was damaged, while he accepted me for what I was and even thought I was beautiful. Even if he hadn't made me whole again, I'd give my body and my heart to him, and he is the only one who can touch me and use me in any way that pleases him, because I exist only for him. And yes, he has used and brought me to the greatest heights of pleasure many times.'

Dolk's smile faltered as he stepped back. 'Then I'll have to add that statement to the charges and recommend your execution.' he said, and left the room.