A Perfect Christmas

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Before either of us could say a word, Amelia, looking up at him was gushing about me. "Oh, wow! We're so lucky today, Uncle Davis, because Miss Cole is doing story hour. And she's the best. She uses puppets, and can do all kinds of voices. Even the babies listen when she reads, she's so good."

Flattered by her praise, I smiled at her warmly, and said, "Hello, Amelia," as the pair of them approached me.

Amelia smiled up adoringly at the man who now had his hand on her shoulder. "This is my Uncle Davis, Miss Cole. My parents are away, working on savaging their marriage. So, I get to spend the weekend with him."

Smiling down at her, he chuckled and said, "I think you mean salvaging, sweetie."

"And what does that mean?" she asked, staring up at him intently.

"It means they're trying to make things better."

Amelia thought on that for a minute and nodded. "That's good, because they're both very sad right now. And they're not even talking to each other."

Not sure what to say after being privy to that bit of personal information, I gave him a smile and said, "Hello, Uncle Davis."

His green eyes twinkling with amusement, he responded, "Hello, Dani. Nice to see you again."

Looking back and forth between us, Amelia's eyes went big. "Wow! You know her first name? We only call her Miss Cole. How come you know her name is Dani, Uncle Davis?"

Keeping his gaze on mine, still wearing that sexy grin, I could feel my cheeks heating up when he explained, "Because we've met before."

"Oh. So, you come to this library, too? You never told me." She looked up at him curiously, I guess wondering why he'd keep something like that to himself.

He shook his head. "No, I haven't been here before. But I might start to come now." Noticing the families filing in, he said, "How about we take a seat on the floor, before the spaces are all gone?"

I watched as they both sat with their legs crossed, on the brightly colored carpet right in front of me.

Normally I enjoyed putting on a show for the kids, but with gorgeous Davis in the audience, I was beginning to wonder if I'd choke.

Once I had all their eager little faces peering up at me, and they'd all began to settle and anxiously wait, I picked up my soft little sheep puppet. All eyes were on me, as I began to do my best impression of a sheep as I recited the funny, Sheep Dog and Sheep Sheep, saving everyone's favorite Christmas poem for last. I noticed Davis looked both amused and a little surprised as the kids all laughed, when I switched to my deeper dog voice, when it was called for. Somehow, I amazed myself by managing to get through it, without stumbling.

When I decided to also read Cinderella; a favorite of the girls, glancing up I smiled into Davis's eyes, when I caught him grinning at me as I read. Although it felt a little more awkward with him in the group, I could see he wasn't mocking, only smiling, and pretty warmly, too.

Finally, I finished with the classic poem, T'was the Night Before Christmas:

T'was the Night Before Christmas, when all through the house

Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;

The children who had all been wide-eyed, and intently listening, broke into fits of childish giggles when I had my little mouse puppet pop up over the book and do a little wiggle.

When I read, The stockings were hung by the chimney with care, in hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there. The children all pointed at the glittery red and green stockings hanging from the Christmas tree and said in one voice, "There they are!"

Once I reached the end and closed the book, smiling down at their little faces, I thanked them all for coming, and wished everyone a very happy holiday. As the rest all started to leave, Amelia quickly hopped to her feet and ran up to me. "Uncle Davis and I are going for lunch now. Would you like to join us, Miss Cole?"

Not too sure how to respond. I was even more surprised when Davis, who seemed as surprised as I was, that she'd invite me along, smiled and said, "Yes, would you care to join us, Miss Cole?"

Wondering if he was just being polite, since his niece had taken it upon herself to extend the invitation, I shook my head. "I wouldn't want to interfere with your time together."

"But you wouldn't be," Amelia said, gazing up at her uncle imploringly. "Would she, Uncle Davis?"

"No, of course not," he said, smiling straight into my eyes, making my knees go a little wobbly just from the power of his gaze.

The idea of joining them for lunch felt a little awkward. Considering we'd only met because he'd saved my butt from being arrested, after my grandmother had stolen from his store. And now I was supposed to sit through lunch with him and try to act like everything was normal, and I didn't have any thieves in my family?

"Um, I'm not sure if I should." I hesitated, studying him for a moment. Dressed in a navy-blue button-down shirt and dress pants, he looked more casual than when I'd met him at his office, when he'd been wearing a dress shirt and tie. Although he still looked hot enough to put thoughts in my head, that I knew darn well I shouldn't be entertaining.

There was just something about him; whether it was the teasing twinkle in gorgeous green eyes, or the slight grin curving his well-shaped mouth, that made me want to say, 'Yes, I'd love to join you.' Despite how awkward our first encounter was, or how odd it would feel to sit down for a meal with the two of them.

Amelia tipped her head, looked up into my eyes, and pleaded, "Please, won't you join us, Miss Cole?"

When Davis added, "Now how can you say no to that?" Smiling back and forth between the two of them, I didn't see how I could.

"Actually, I'm off for the rest of day. So, going out for lunch does sound nice, thank you."

While I was putting away my little basket of props, I noticed Amelia taking her uncle by the hand, and leading him over to the big, shiny red box we had set up for toy donations.

This morning, when the staff noticed that there were only about a dozen toys dropped off, everyone decided that we would probably have to top it up before Christmas. And we would all have to buy a few more things, so there'd be enough to go around when the firefighters came to distribute the toys to any families in need.

While the two of them were busy, I made a quick call to check on my gran. When her caregiver assured me that she was fine, just having a cup of tea and watching one of her programs, relieved that she wasn't up to anything she shouldn't be, I thanked her and went and got my coat.

Davis and Amelia, were waiting for me by the door. I noticed she looked excited that I was actually going to be joining them, when she tugged on her uncle's hand when she saw me coming, murmuring, "Isn't she pretty?" While Davis just greeted me with a teasing smile as he held the door open for me.

As we made our way to the restaurant, Amelia walked between us, happily chattering away about how much she loved Christmas, with Davis and I smiling over her head. "I think this is the most beautiful, most magical time of the year, with all the lights and decorations," she said, glancing into the festively decorated windows we were passing.

When she noticed a Santa in a bright red suit ringing a bell, standing in a doorway, with a kettle for donations, she stopped and said, "Wait. I want to put some money in his kettle."

We both smiled as we watched her reach into her coat pocket, take out a small coin purse, walk over and drop in four quarters. I noticed her uncle put a few bills in, too, saying, "Merry Christmas," to Santa. And old St. Nick seemed pretty pleased when I did the same.

I thought he was a good-looking Santa too, with his classic red velvet suit and hat, shiny black boots, long white beard, and rosy cheek. As he rang his bell, Amelia watched wide-eyed as his face broke into a smile and with a big belly laugh, he bellowed, "Thank you, and Merry Christmas to all! Ho! Ho! Ho!"

Amelia happily smiled back, and responded, "Merry Christmas, Santa." Though she told us as we continued on our way, "I know he's not the real Santa. He's just one of his helpers. Because the real Santa Claus is at the North Pole working with the elves, getting everything ready for Christmas."

Smiling over at me, Davis said, "Well, I guess it's nice he has so many helpers then."

We walked a few blocks to a little French café that I had noticed, and wanted to try, since I heard their French onion soup was the best in the city. When we got inside, Davis helped us both with our coats and we were shown to a table by the window.

The waiter came and gave us our menus, and before I'd even had a chance to open mine, Amelia asked, "Miss Cole, have you ever seen the Nutcracker ballet?"

I nodded. "Yes. My grandmother took me when I was about your age."

"Well, we're going tomorrow night, and we have an extra ticket, if you'd like to join us."

I noticed that Davis looked a little surprised that she would invite me, obviously without consulting him. But he was still gracious about it. "Yes, we'd love to have you join us. My mother had planned to go, but she's just getting over a cold and she's not feeling up to it."

"That's very kind of you to offer, but --"

Amelia jumped in, "Oh, it's such a beautiful ballet, I'm sure you'll love it. And if you don't come, the ticket will go to waste."

As the waiter was pouring our water, Davis smiled into my eyes. "We would love for you to join us, Dani. We'll have dinner early. And the performance starts at eight, so we shouldn't be out too late."

"Please, say yes," Amelia pleaded, guilting me with her big blue eyes.

I looked over at Davis and smiled. "I don't really see how I can say no. I would love to join you, thank you."

"Oh, and after lunch, we're going to Burton's. And we would really like it if you could come and help us pick out some toys," Amelia said, as she opened her menu, not looking at either one of us.

I could see the amusement in Davis's eyes as he looked over at his niece, shaking his head.

I think we were both starting to get the feeling that the two of us were being set up by a very clever little eight-year-old matchmaker.

When Amelia excused herself to use the ladies' room, I leaned in and whispered to Davis, "I really don't think I should be going back to Burton's, especially considering what happened last time."

He surprised me when he reached across the table and covered my hand with his. "That's all in the past. And I think both of us could use your help, since she's determined to fill up that donation box at the library. Working with kids, you'd probably have a better idea of what to get than we would."

"I still think it might feel a little awkward walking in there again."

"Dan's been transferred to the security detail at our warehouse, so you don't have to worry about bumping into him." That was a relief, knowing I wouldn't have to face that big, mean brute again.

**

Turns out, picking out toys with the two of them, was actually a lot of fun. I tried to find a few things for some of the older kids, since most people liked to donate things for the little ones. I chose a couple of drawing sets and board games and a few books, and added them to the pile.

"Do you see anything you'd like?" I asked Amelia while she was looking through the dolls.

She surprised me when she shook her head and said, "No. I just want to get as many things as I can, so all the kids wake up with a toy under their tree." She grinned. "And this way I can be one of Santa's helpers, too."

Davis and I shared a smile as she picked out some Barbies along with a few cute little baby dolls.

I thought she was an amazingly selfless child, especially for her age.

A very patient young sales clerk was following after her with a cart, and Amelia was handing everything over to him, so it could all be sent to the library.

When we finally went through the last aisle and Amelia told her uncle that she got everything she wanted, I was even more surprised when Davis pulled out his credit card and paid for everything. I just thought since his family owned the place, that he'd be charging it all to the store.

After he'd signed, Amelia wearing a cute little grin, crooked her finger. When he bent down, she circled her little arms around his neck, pressed a kiss to his cheek, and said, "Thank you, Uncle Davis."

He just smiled at me and shrugged. "She said all she wanted for Christmas was to fill up the toy box at the library, so I'm just happy to help."

I don't think I'd ever met such a thoughtful child. Especially since she could have had anything she wanted, yet she was only interested in getting things for other kids.

"And thank you for coming and helping us pick everything out, Miss Cole," she said, smiling up at me, as we made our way back outside.

"Well, it was fun. So, thank you for inviting me, Amelia." I took a quick look at my watch and thought I'd better check in on my grandmother. "Thanks for lunch, too. It was really good. Now I'll let you two enjoy the rest of your afternoon."

Davis surprised me when he leaned in and pressed a kiss to my cheek. "Thanks for coming, Dani. Before you go, I'm going to need your cell number so I can pick you up tomorrow night."

I laughed. "Then I guess I'd better give it you." He took my phone and gave me his number as well, I guess just in case I needed to get in touch with him.

I had just gotten into my grandmother's place and I could hear Anna, her care giver, pleading with her, "Please don't cry, Ms. Walker, I'm sure we'll find it."

I rushed into my grandmother's room and asked, "What's wrong, Grandma?" She was so distraught, she was sobbing, while Anna was looking at me shaking her head.

After she helped my grandmother into the bathroom, Anna told me what was going on. "She's upset because she can't find her purse. You know that big black one she never lets out of her sight? She thinks someone broke in and stole it. And she wants me to call the police."

Oh, shoot! I knew where it was, because the last time I saw it, it was on Davis's desk. "I think I might know where it is," I said, and pulled out my phone. I just hoped they hadn't thrown it away, after they'd put everything back.

Davis answered on the second ring. "Hey, Dani, what's up?"

"Um. I've got a problem I'm hoping you can help me with."

"Okay..."

"Remember when I brought back that bag full of um...?" With Anna standing right beside me, I couldn't really say what was in it.

I could hear the amusement in his voice when he said, "Yes, I remember."

"Well, I hope you still have the bag. Because the person who owns it, wants it back."

"I don't know if they would have kept it. But let me phone the store, and I'll call you back."

"Thank you. I hope they still have it, because she's really upset."

"I'll call you as soon as I know."

After she got my grandmother settled back in her bed, Anna brought her a snack, to help take her mind off her purse. I was pacing in her bedroom, glad to see she was busy dipping cookies into her coffee.

I almost jumped out of my skin when my cell phone chimed. Afraid to say the wrong thing in front of Anna, I rushed into the other room to answer.

"Sorry," he said, "No one knows where it went. But I can get her another one. If you can meet me at the store, maybe we can find one that looks the same."

"Davis, I can't ask you to do that."

"I just dropped Amelia off at my mother's place, and I can be there in twenty minutes. Meet me in leather goods, on the ground floor." And before I could say anything else, he hung up.

I kissed the top of my grandmother's head and told Anna I'd be back as soon as I could.

Davis was looking through the purses when I found him. "How about this one?" he said, showing me a big, name brand designer bag.

"That is a nice bag. But hers was pretty basic. It was just a big, black leather bag with two long handles."

We looked at every purse they had, but none of them looked the same.

I was about to give up when he pulled out his phone. I listened as he asked it to show him some big, black leather bags. When the images came up, we looked through them together, till I noticed one that looked a lot like hers. "That one looks just like it."

"Okay, then let's go."

When he grabbed my hand and headed for the door, I said, "Where are we going?"

He shrugged. "We're going to get that bag."

I could barely believe what we were doing, when we stepped outside and he hailed a taxi. When we got in the back seat together, he gave the cabbie the address and reached for my hand.

"Thank you," I said, as he brushed a few strands of long blonde hair from my eyes and tucked them behind my ear.

"I imagine she's an older lady. And losing something like her purse would be pretty upsetting for her."

I nodded. "My grandmother's getting a little forgetful. And she wanted to call the police when she realized it was gone. Which was why I phoned you, hoping they still had it."

"Well, hopefully, she'll like the new one."

"I can't believe you're doing this. I mean, considering..."

He touched his lips to mine and shook his head. "I think we should just forget that ever happened, and start fresh."

I cupped his face in my hand and kissed him back, amazed that he could be so understanding.

When we got to the leather goods shop, I thought the bag he'd found looked good enough to fool my grandmother. Except that it was brand new and had that new leather smell. But at least it looked pretty much the same, so I was hoping she wouldn't notice.

When I pulled out my wallet, I couldn't believe that Davis had already handed the man his credit card. He just chuckled, when I said, "Davis, you can't be serious."

He shrugged. "I should have told the jewelry department to hang onto it. So, the least I can do is replace it."

He took my hand as we left the store, and said, "I'll tell you what. There's a little place around the corner that makes the best pizza in the city. You buy us each a slice, and we'll call it even."

I just rolled my eyes at him, as he led me around the corner to a little hole-in the-wall pizza joint.

He was right though. The pizza was incredible. The crust was crispy, yet still kind of chewy, the sauce was tasty and it was bubbly and cheesy with a perfect mix of toppings.

"So? What's the verdict?" he asked, handing me a few extra napkins, while I was busy savoring every bite.

I nodded as I wiped my lips. "You do know your pizza."

He laughed, and had a swig of his beer. "I just wish they delivered, so I wouldn't have to come all the way across the city to get my fix."

I was starting to understand how his niece turned out the way she did, because I don't think I'd ever met anyone as generous or as kind.

When I went into the bathroom to wash my hands, Davis got us cappuccinos and two big creamy slices of homemade tiramisu. I don't know how he knew it was my favorite dessert. But when I had my first taste of the sweet, creamy coffee laden confection, I decided that I might just be falling a little bit in love with him.

"Good, huh?"

He chuckled when I leaned in and whispered, "This is so good, I think I'm having a moment. And I just hope no one wonders why I'm moaning." When he rolled his eyes and groaned, I just laughed.

When we got back on the main street, Davis hailed a taxi. Once we'd climbed in the back together, he said, "I guess we'd better head over to your grandmother's, to see what she thinks of her new purse."

"Then I'd better take the tags off." While I was trying to figure out what to use, he reached into his pants pocket and produced a small Swiss army knife that had a tiny pair of scissors that I used to cut off all the tags. I shoved the paper stuffing in my pockets and decided though it still looked new, at least there were no tags hanging from it.