A Promise Worth Keeping

Story Info
Some gifts are more valuable than others.
751 words
4.39
1.7k
4

Part 5 of the 5 part series

Updated 03/05/2024
Created 02/01/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MenaAbbott
MenaAbbott
11 Followers

She watched him carefully. There was uncertainty in what to make of his request. He didn't ask for much, really, just a promise. Her instinct told her to agree to it, it was a fair request. Nothing far fetched. But it was still a promise and it was something she didn't take lightly.

"You want me to promise you what?" she asked, her tone incredulous as her eyes narrowed toward him.

He ran his hand through his hair, eyes lowered to the ground."I want you to promise me that you won't give up on yourself. You have big ideas and dreams. They are worth pursuing, Dee. Guys will try to persuade you that you need them, but you don't. You've never needed anyone." His laugh was full of nerves.

"So, you want me to have faith in myself? That's all you're asking of me?"

He pursed his lips, eyes tight as he glanced away. It was clear there was more to what he wanted to ask of her, but he wasn't letting it out. "That's all I'm asking. Don't fall for anyone who tries to shut your dreams down. That's it."

Her head cocked. "That's not the same thing Mike."

Mike nodded. "I know. That's the real promise. You won't let anyone make you believe you can't do this."

Dee smiled. "Since when do you worry about me being pushed around?" She pressed her hand to his shoulder and gently shoved him back a step

His cheeks flushed and he lifted his head, making eye contact with her. "Promise me," he insisted, the shyness and uncertainty giving way to his normal confidence. He'd said the thing he'd been holding back from her, the thing that had made him so uncomfortable.

"I promise I won't give up on my dreams, Mike."

He shook his head. "No. Promise me what I actually asked..." His hand came to rest beneath her chin and she swallowed as he lifted her head. His gaze held hers easily.

"Yeah. Okay. I promise I won't fall for anyone who doesn't believe in me."

His smile was soft as he rolled his eyes. "God that was hard to say to you. Why was that so hard to say?" He chuckled and ran his hand through his hair again.

"Because you don't care about people, Mike. In all the years I've known you, you've never given anyone else a second thought."

"I care. I just don't show it well. It's weird."

"So you made an exception for me?"

Mike shrugged. "You're going to be thousands of miles away from anyone you know. I'm supposed to give you a going away gift, right? I'm broke as fuck, so all I've got is this."

Dee blushed. "So, you're gifting me confidence?"

A smile crossed his lips, "I suppose I am. Care, too." His voice lowered to a whisper, "And love."

"What?" she asked, looking up at him.

"I said care, too," he repeated.

"I heard that. It sounded like you mumbled something after."

"Oh, yeah, I said don't let it go to your head," he pulled her into a hug before she could question him more.

That wasn't what she thought she'd heard, but the flush on his cheeks and breath sapping tightness of his hug pushed the question from her mind, "I'll be back for Christmas," she reminded him.

"Sure, you say that now. But come Christmas you're going to be in your apartment calling and giving your excuse for whatever project you need to finish and is preventing you from coming home."

"It's a congressional internship, Mike. I can't..."

"I'm teasing, Dee. You're going to be a star out there. Everyone'll take notice and you'll forget all about us back home pretty quick. Just promise."

She nodded.

~

Delilah looked out at the crowd. Her speech was attended by thousands, but only one face mattered and her focus found him quickly. They'd both aged, but he smiled that crooked smile that always made her heart race a little.

"MIKE!"

He was making his way to her and one of the men next to her grabbed her shoulder, preventing her from running to her old friend. She pushed his hand from her and climbed down from the stage with haste. Their embrace set everything right and she finally felt like she could let her guard down for a moment.

"How is it you never got married, Dee?"

"You gifted me confidence. Now tell me what you whispered that day, please?"

MenaAbbott
MenaAbbott
11 Followers