All Comments on 'A Promise Worth Keeping'

by MenaAbbott

Sort by:
  • 5 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percy3 months ago

He should have fully shared his feelings!

5

LitCritLitCrit2 months ago

Interesting vignette - now it needs to go somewhere. 4 stars for luck.

Comentarista82Comentarista822 months ago

This one is kind of a toss-up for me, as the story frames the gift (and his unheard "love") as the main items that spur on Delilah to achieve.

***

For one, I appreciate the idea, that the narrative posits an intangible item as what helps her achieve success; on that, that's completely unique--and it flips the theory that tangibles outweigh intangibles. However, once a story hangs its hat on something so crucial...here's the problem: there's no guy so broke he can't afford to to buy some nice stationary and write a hand-written note that expresses what he otherwise can't say; likewise, there are tons of stuffed animals that are unique and cute at most grocery stores that are $8 dollars and would make a huge impact. I simply can't believe he couldn't have come up with something small yet meaningful to give her...as it could have even been as simple as a polished but pretty rock that meant something to them both, like from their shared childhood. To elevate a gift to front and center stage means it must certainly be unique, but also critical it be something personal AND tangible.

****

I love the idea, and I love the feelings the story evokes, but based strictly on that centerpiece, 4.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

He loves her, she loves him, neither communicate well. Some years later (decades maybe?) they meet again for a second.

Too little to really get vested in. Nice outline for a romance.

chytownchytown2 months ago

*****You did 750 proud!!! good read. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userMenaAbbott@MenaAbbott
I'm going to focus on various shades of romance and heavily emotional pieces. These might include darker works. Love Languages: A series of 750 word vignettes: Kindred Spirits: Acts of Service. (Non-Erotic) This is a vignette on how a simple act of kindness from one person ...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

SIMILAR Stories