All Comments on 'A self-aggrandising writing guide'

by Iwroteathing

Sort by:
  • 10 Comments
AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Damn it! Dixie was my favourite story, along with "Above it all". I guess these darker stories are more emotionally taxing to write (take JSMT as an example).

I still would like to know who the other woman beside Dixie was. Dixies mom? One of the delinquents smoking pot? Dixies old teacher? Or maybe even the real Hillary Clinton? She found out about someone sullying her good name, she came to investigate and ultimately got outsmarted by a local sheep farmer.

Anyway, thanks for all the stories and good luck with your writers block.

dlombudlombu6 months ago

Very good read. You have a clear understanding of why your writing is good, or rather, you have a clear understanding of what makes good writing and aim towards it. I'm sure I'm just one of many who are looking forward to reading more of your stories here or anywhere else.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

I also have ethical doubts when I write (Onkana, in schmeviant schmart and other places, if you are interested). I don't know if among my readers is there some idiot that doesn't understand the difference between reality and fiction. It wouldn't be my fault, if so. Characters in fiction are objects, not subjects, and mistreating them has no consequence, but I still wonder if I'm giving wrong ideas to some asshole.

I agree with a lot of things that you said. I don't like doing series either, but I have to because the format of the other site and the readers' expectations force me. If I feel that I said what I wanted to say, making the story longer won't do good to anybody. I also write mostly for fun and post them when I feel that they are worth reading.

You said that talking about feelings is better than just describing scenes. I not so sure of that, but precisely because I'm not sure, I won't argue it.

Thank you for your explanation, very interesting. I hope that you get free from your blockage soon.

-Onkana

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Congrats on finally getting this published! I know it was a nightmare to get this done so yay for it being out!

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

I wish you luck with the writers block, I hope you could continue Dixie’s story as it is one of my favorite stories.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

So as I was reading this two ideas popped into my head, particularly around the time you were talking about power, and well I know I'm never going to use them myself and you said you actually like people giving you ideas so.

1. A story drawing some inspiration off of 'the hunchback of notre dame', except focused around Esmerelda and the Archbishop. With instead of her managing to get away or him jumping straight to the 'burn her' scene he instead tries to prove himself above her/tries to get her to admit to witchcraft by putting her through an escalating series of trials 'designed' to prove that he is better than her that he has power over her, that she doesn't have power over him and that she'd be better off giving in, begging for his mercy, his leniency, submitting to being his. Yet no matter what he puts her through, how humiliated or degraded she feels in the moment, he can not break her. He can not make her submit and give him power over her, that she'd rather willingly humiliate and degrade herself before an increasingly supportive crowd (horrified at his excesses) than submit to HIM.

2. inspired off the church theme of the first idea, basically a nun getting into exhibitionism & sexual exploits and having to avoid it being discovered by those she lives with lest she be kicked out and publicly shamed and all that. Yet when she is finally discovered and kicked out (probably via some public humiliation the head nun organises to shame her forevermore) rather than letting it destroy her she instead feels relieved, even happy despite now putting on shows in some tavern or brothel or something. Because now she's doing something SHE wants to do, living the life she wants to live rather than forcing herself to conform to the expectations of those around her like she's had to do all her life (something something orphan/bastard raised by the church or something).

3. probably a bit iffy but some lady has been accused of witchcraft by a jealous rival and has to endure a number of increasingly humiliating and degrading tests to prove her innocence in the face of a fanatical (but true-believer) witch-hunter/inquisitor type egged on by her rival. Ending with the witch-hunter whose grown to respect her for what she has endured without cracking announcing her innocence before turning on the rival who accused her in the first place and egged on every test and humiliation and accusing her, for if she was truly the standup 'goodwoman' she touts herself to be then obviously she would have no issues with proving herself just as innocent as the lady she had accused. Whether the original woman returns back to the life she once peacefully lived, or she's found her horizons broadened by what has happened to her is up to you.

Stevewu609Stevewu6095 months ago

Thanks, iwroteathing!

***

I wanted to expand a little on my question just for other readers (I don't think it was mischaracterized or anything). I was very clear in my question that I wasn't asking if he'd consider using AI for writing stories. I just want to put that out there in case anyone thought I was asking a dumb, arguably offensive question to a talented writer. Instead, I was wondering if this talented and creative author saw any usefulness to it as a tool for aspects of writing, particularly to break through writers block.

***

For example, maybe you have a few side characters and you know the particular role they play in the story relative to the protagonist, but you don't want flat boring characters. You want rich characters with their own backstories and motivations and so forth. Coming up with that can be pretty tedious and time consuming, and may not be a particularly fun part of the writing process. That's where a generative AI chat can be a helpful tool. You can have a conversation with it to brainstorm the character. Something like "I'm writing a fictional story where a side character is fairly [adjective] and [adjective] and tends to [do xyz] frequently. What are five other character traits this character might have that are consistent with how I described him/her?" "What are five different possible recent life experiences that this character may have had that would help explain why he/she is so [adjective]?" "[XYZ character] in my story needs to have a job where she frequently [does X, Y. and X]. What are ten different jobs where someone would regularly do those things?"

***

As a writer, you don't even have to use any of the ideas the AI gives you. It can help get your creative juices flowing. And even a really bad idea from the AI might be the spark that makes you think of a really good idea. I do a lot of writing for work and hit blocks all the time, and one of the most helpful things for me is talking part of it out with someone. Sometimes they give me an insight that helps me get back on track, but 90% of the time they don't offer me something directly useful but just by talking it out with someone, I often am able to come up with the solution on my own or something the other person says causes me to think of the solution. But I'd imagine a lot of people writing erotica do so secretly and so won't just go talk to a friend or family member to brainstorm on a part of their story. But you can do it with an AI (and make a second secret account, if you already use it for non-porn purposes). You can't talk to most of them about explicit sex scene stuff or let it know you're writing a porn story, but using it as a tool the way I am suggesting, you can probably mostly work around that.

***

Anyway, if authors really don't want to use it at all, I absolutely respect that decision. But there's a lot of AI generated crap content out there, which is unfortunate. But that's not the only way to use AI in content production. It's not a binary choice between (a) using it to quickly create lots of lower quality content (and remove the human author significantly from the equation) and (b) rejecting AI and continuing to write as a human without any AI. I wanted to suggest that you can be a human writer and write stories entirely your own AND use AI as a tool to help talk through a roadblock in the story or to brainstorm details or to flesh out background information on characters that won't go into the story itself, but will help the author to use those characters in the story in ways that are more grounded and consistent. There are probably lots of other ways that generative AI chat bots can be used as tools to help erotica writers where not a single sentence in the story is written by AI.

***

P.S., I love the tags (and the various self-deprecating jokes throughout).

theMasterBaitertheMasterBaiter5 months ago

I enjoyed the q and a part. Wish you could enjoy trans or bi... I never understand how men can be turned off by cock and at the same time love their own dicks so much, so often. Also, guys and t-gurls give much better head. Finally, best way to get over writers block is to have inspiring experiences. Get out there and live. I'm preaching to myself here... Haven't lived or written in years. LOL.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

I appreciate you writing this! it was helpful and may have just pushed me to try my hand at the business.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Have you given up on writing any new work ? . Please provide an update.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userIwroteathing@Iwroteathing
For those wondering why I take so long to write new stories, the document I keep my abandoned stories in is now up to 101,000 words. That is longer than The Hobbit, Pride and Prejudice, or To Kill A Mockingbird. However, my published works come to 745,700 words, which means m...