A Simple Life Ch. 27-35

Story Info
A slice of life of a soft man and a gently dominant futa.
15.1k words
4.9
7k
24

Part 4 of the 8 part series

Updated 03/14/2024
Created 03/29/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
grimbous
grimbous
1,037 Followers

Author's Note: I warned you that this one is a slow burn. This whole chunk of chapters is more story and romance, and no smut. You'll have to wait for the next part for things to start getting spicy. Just wanted to let you know in advance.

***

Chapter 27

The next day is a strange one. Despite Grandpa's assurances and pep talks the shock of the news could not be shaken off so quickly. After breakfast we have an emotional and lingering farewell as I resisted leaving. I was suddenly keenly aware of the fragility of life and of how precious every minute with a loved one actually was. Irrational as it was I felt like I might never see him again once I stepped off of this boat.

"Go." He says at last with a warm smile. "I will see you later."

"I-I could call in sick. We could..."

"Avery. Go." He says as he pats my cheek in his weathered hand. "Live. And cheer up! I ain't going anywhere yet."

"Okay." I hug him. I hug him as if it was our last. "I love you Grandpa."

"And I you my Buttercup." He hugs me back. "Now get out of here before you're late for work!"

I sleepwalk through the first part of my day. Home. Shower. Dress. Work. The world was drab. Food was bland. Music soulless. My actions on automatic as my thoughts return again and again and again to things like mortality, cancer, and the loss of the best person who ever lived. All color and flavor and vibrancy had been drained from the world until...her.

I am alone in the break room at work half heartedly nibbling at my lunch when I check my phone for any messages. Waiting for me were four texts from my new friend. The first one simply read "Help!" which made me sit up in my chair as if I might run from the room to rush to the aid of a damsel. The next two are photos of loveseats sitting in the showroom of some furniture store. The first one is a real classy looking muted blue with a high back and low wooden arms. The second was a thick and puffy one with wide cushioned arms in a dazzling design of bold criss-crossing colors. I could see by the pictures that both items were heavily discounted with the classy one a bit more than the other. "I can't choose! Which would look better?" reads the final text, which I see had been sent just ten minutes ago.

Dropping my sandwich on the table my thumbs tap out my reply as my mouth curls into its first smile of the day. "Still there?"

A few moments later my heart leaps as a reply comes back. "Yeah. Dad's trying to haggle with the guy. It is so embarrassing!" A few seconds later. "They're both super comfortable and both a great price."

"Nice!"

"So Mr. Photographer? Which one?"

"Photography isn't interior design!" I reply with a laughing emoji.

"You know colors and shit. C'mon, hurry."

I don't have to think about it long. For almost any other person and in any other space I would have suggested the blue one. But Winona's suite was already a hodge-podge of design so I felt she might as well lean into the aesthetic. The bright and brash one fit the bill. Besides, those thick cushions looked so darn comfy. My smile grows as the image of Winona and I curled up together on it flashes through my mind.

"The second one."

"You sure?"

"Trust me."

"Alright. It's on you though if I don't like it once it's in there."

"And if you do like it?"

"Head pats from Mommy."

I giggle. Head pats!? Mommy!? What a silly woman. I loved it! I reply with a rofl emoji.

"So when am I picking you up?"

The party! Distracted as I had been with Grandpa I'd almost forgotten about it. After a few quick texts with Kayla I come back. "Movie's at 9. K says people can start showing up anytime after 7:30."

"Let's call it 8. Where's your place."

I send her the address. "Sorta between Old Town and Midtown."

"Gotcha." She replies. "Gotta go. Dad is on this poor guy's last nerve. LOL"

"LOL! Okay."

"Stay awesome Sprout. See you at 8."

"Can't wait!"

I swoon back in the chair. Taking a big, hearty bite of lunch I munch away as I scroll back and read the exchange over three more times. The head pat quip makes me giggle again but what really touched me was the fact that she came to me in the first place. I was flattered she trusted my judgment like she did. She would likely have that loveseat for years to come and my bit of input helped to decide on it. For as long as she had it there would be a little touch of me in her home. I liked that. The rest of my break I am as light as a feather. I eat and think back on the weird and wonderful night that she and I had shared and wonder what the night ahead would bring. The only thing I knew for sure was that with Winona it would be interesting. GAH! I felt like I might burst with impatience. Eight o'clock could not come soon enough.

Although only a brief reprieve before the gravity of my Grandpa's condition brings me back down again it was a much needed one. A breath of fresh clean air before returning the gray realm of death and choking cigarette smoke. When I do come back down I feel guilty. So guilty. Guilty at my joy and laughter and guilty about choosing to spend my night with her instead of with Grandpa. How could I have fun at a time like this? How selfish was I? How could I not spend this time with him? He who gave so much. How dare I think about myself right now. I consider, yet again, canceling but I knew Grandpa would not accept it. The date was going to happen. A piece of me rejoices at being able to see Winona again, and that happiness loops right back into guilt again. Fucking cancer. Oh how I loathed it.

The rest of my day is roller-coaster of romantic excitement and premature mourning. I was a mess. I couldn't live like this. Despite my misgivings I was looking forward to the party more and more as the hours passed. It would be a distraction if nothing else. An hour before Winona was set to arrive though I am in my darkest place yet. The phone is in my hands, my thumb trembling over the call button so that I could call it all off. And in this darkest hour, as always, my shining hero swoops in out of nowhere.

The phone rings in my hands. It was Grandpa. I hurry to answer.

"Grandpa! Is everything okay?"

"A-Okay Buttercup." He says in a cheerful voice. "I'm not interrupting anything, am I?"

"N-No. No problem."

"Your date still on?"

"Yeah. Soon." I say. "But if you want..."

"Atta boy!" He says. "Atta boy Avery! You just be yourself now. Be your BEST self and you'll sweep her off her feet. You are a damn good man Avery and any woman would be lucky to have you."

"Grandpa!" I groan, embarrassed at the praise.

"I believe in you Avery. You're the best. Go get her tiger."

"Grandpaaa!"

"Take it from an old fisherman. You're a catch."

I laugh despite myself. "Stop!"

"Never." He chuckles. "Hey, the Jackson's are having a get together tonight. It'll mostly be cookin good food, drinkin better wine, and sharin tall stories. Oughta be fun."

"Oh. You're going?"

"Yeah I'm going. Why wouldn't I?" He says. "I just wanted to warn you in case you swung by and I was gone. I know how you worry."

"Thank you."

There's a pause before he says. "How you doin kiddo?"

"Um...fine."

"Avery?"

"It's...It's tough. It's really tough."

"I know. It's still fresh. Things will get better." He says. "After your date if you need to talk, about anything, come find me. You know where I'll be."

"I'll be okay." I say. "You have fun at the party. Don't worry about me."

"Hey! That's what I was going to say." We laugh. "See you tomorrow?"

"You can count on it Grandpa."

We say our goodbyes and I hang up the phone, a great weight lifted from my shoulders. Knowing that Grandpa was out there having a good time, knowing that he was still living his life, released me from the chains of guilt. Which was probably exactly why he called. I loved that man so much.

I leap from my bed and hurry to get ready. Every hair in place and smelling like a million bucks I dress in a dapper set of black trousers, white collared shirt, and a snug fitting blue vest. I consider a jacket but I kinda liked the vest look so I leave it at that. Looking as good as it was possible to make myself, without makeup at least, I am in the living room pacing back and forth as the clock neared eight.

"I thought you weren't going." Brayden says without looking up from the screen. He was talking about my brother's party of course which he had just returned from a bit ago. Brayden had his faults but thankfully booze was not one of them. He was a weed guy. When the liquor really started to flow Brayden usually headed for the exit. Had he been a drinker our cohabitation would not have lasted nearly so long. "It's getting pretty rowdy over there, just so you know."

"I-I'm not going there."

"Big date or something?"

"Y-Yeah." I say. "She'll be here s-soon."

"Fuck yeah dude! Good for you. Wait. A chick's coming here?" He gripes. "Avie, I'm in my boxers here!"

"She's just picking me up. I don't think she's c-coming in."

"She's picking you up?" He chuckles as he gets up and heads to his room. With out closing the door his slips back into the jeans he had worn the party. "Beta move my man."

"What?"

"You're supposed to pick her up!"

"On my b-bike?"

"I dunno." He shrugs. "But trust me, chicks might talk a lot of understanding bullshit but they notice that sort of thing. You're down a strike before the first pitch." He walks back out and resumes his game. "So is she hot?"

"Uh...I...I guess."

"You guess?"

"Yes." I say. "She is hot."

"Hot as Kayla?" He asks.

"Uh...yeah."

"Fuck! This I've gotta see. Kayla is so fiiiine. I'd tap that shit in a SECOND. How you ever banged both Lauren and Kayla I will never know. Way out of your league. Now this chick? You got that sweet, shy, innocent act working for ya huh?"

"I-I-I dunno." Just then the buzzer buzzes. "That's her!" I say excitedly.

To my surprise Brayden springs from the sofa and makes for the intercom. "Come on up." He says through the mic before pressing the button to allow entry.

"Brayden!"

"What?" He says. "I just want to meet her."

"I-I-If you s-say anything t-t-to..."

"Don't worry Avie." He winks. "I am an awesome wingman."

***

Chapter 28

I stand at the door wiping my clammy hands against my pants as I wait for Winona to arrive. Beside me my roommate Brayden checks his breath and combs his hair with his fingers. After just a minute there comes a knock at the door and in an instant I open it.

"Oh!" Winona startles at the too sudden opening.

I stand there in the open doorway with my jaw hanging open. She...is...GORGEOUS!

Her already stunning face is brightened and accentuated with that same tasteful touch of makeup that she had done me up with the night before. Her big hazel eyes dazzled framed within the hazy darker colors around them. Her striking bone structure was highlighted even more with blush. And her lips sparkled a dusky pink. Her long, sleek black hair hung down her back and on her head she wore a flat-topped black felt bolero hat. The black of the bolero, worn so that it was higher at the front than the back, gave a background for her glimmering jade earrings to sparkle. Around the base of the hat was a band of beautifully intricate native beadwork of white with designs of red, black and green. That same beadwork adorned the suede jacket she wore, coming over the shoulders and down the chest in two inch wide strips. The jacket she wore open to reveal a frilly low cut teal top that stopped just short of cleavage and let just a peek of her midriff to show. The open collar brought attention to her elegant neck, around which she wore a familiar gold chain and feather pendant. Across her body was a slender strap for the small leather purse at her hip. A long sandy tan skirt hung to her ankles and while it shouldn't have worked with the rest somehow it did, the tan matching wonderfully with the light suede of the jacket. Peaking out from the hem were the tapered tips of brown leather boots.

She looked so COOL! It was a style completely her own yet not unique just for the sake of it. It was fashionable yet not trendy, bad ass yet feminine. It showed a pride of culture with a modern flair. A smaller woman could not have pulled it off but Winona with her statuesque figure made it look spectacular. Suddenly my simple vest, shirt, and trousers attire seemed positively bland by comparison. Not that she seemed to mind. As her eyes were panning up and down my figure she briefly nibbles her bottom lip with overt attraction.

"Hi." She says, a touch of nerves coming through in her soft yet tense tone. "You look good."

"Uh...th-thank you. Y-You look...amazing."

We gaze into each other's eyes...and suddenly I am floating on air.

"Winona?" Brayden's voice shatters the moment. "Oh my God. It is you."

"Oh no. I thought that was your shit box parked down there." Winona replies. "How ya doing Brayden?"

"Y-You know each other?" I look back and forth between them.

"Uh, yeah. Unfortunately." Brayden says. "She was my mechanic. Couple years ago."

"I did one job for you."

"Which you and your Dad fucked me on."

"Replacing a head gasket isn't cheap. I told you that."

"It cost me more than the car did!"

"It was literally what we quoted, dumb ass." She replies then looks at me. "He thought he could bargain us down after the work was done." Then with a smirk she adds. "The President himself couldn't talk my Dad out of a dollar owed."

"THIS is your date Avery?"

"Uh..."

"Damn right." She states boldly. Just then her right hand, which had been hidden behind her back until now, comes around to thrust a huge bouquet of flowers into my arms.

"Oh!" I look down to see a dozen big and bright sunflowers looking back up at me. Intermixed with the massive yellow blooms were a sprinkling of small delicate blue daisies. The whole lot was wrapped around the sides in shiny, crinkly green paper. I stand there a moment staring at this most unexpected gift. Nobody had EVER given me flowers before!

"It...reminded me of you. With the blue and yellow and...pretty...um..." As quickly as they appeared they disappear again as Winona snatches them back from me. "Stupid idea." She shakes her head. "I'll get rid of them."

"No!" I exclaim, reaching out for them. "No, I...I love them." She passes them back and I take them to cradle in my arms. "I love them. They're beautiful." I look up at her with a smile and say from the bottom of my heart. "Thank you."

She smiles back and I swear I see the color in her cheeks darken just a little.

"She's bringing you flowers now." Chuckles Brayden. "I think I know who wears the pants with you two."

"You really know how to ruin a moment, huh?" Winona says to him. "Asshole."

"Bitch."

"Dick."

"Cunt."

"B-B-Be nice to her B-B-Brayden."

"Don't worry Sprout." Winona says. "I can handle myself."

"Sprout!?" Brayden laughs. "Oh my God dude."

Trying my best to block my roommate out I touch the tender yellow petals with my fingertips. It was so, so, so very pretty. What a wonderful present.

"Let me get a vase for these." I say. "Please come in."

"Thank you." Winona steps in with a brazen grin to my roomie. He rolls his eyes and returns to his dent in the sofa.

I lead Winona through the small kitchen to the dining area where I lay the bouquet on the table then return to the kitchen to start looking for something to put them in. Winona looks around and peeks out the window. "Nice view."

"Yeah." I say. "Not as nice as yours though."

"Catch the game tonight Winona?" Interjects Brayden who was already starting up his game system.

"Game?"

"Ducks were playing."

"Oregon? Lame." She scoffs. "I'm a Huskers gal myself."

"Nebraska!? You ain't from around here, are ya?"

"Don't watch much college actually. Seahawks are my team."

"Go hawks."

"Go hawks."

Here I was trying starting my most anticipated date of all time and Brayden is there being rude, talking sports and making himself a general nuisance. Good wingman my butt.

"This is all I could find." I say as I start filling a water pitcher from the tap. "I'll get a vase for them though." I return to the table and carefully unwrap the bouquet and place it in the pitcher at the center of the table. I space out and arrange the flowers just so. "There we go."

Winona is smiling. "I'm glad you like them."

"Should we g-get going?"

"Don't you want to show me around first?"

"Not much to see." Brayden says. "Hey Winona, you play Warzone?"

"Nope." She says, still watching me preen my flowers. "Shooters are boring."

"Pfft. Who doesn't like shooters?"

I look up. "I don't!"

"Well you're both weird."

Winona and I laugh. "Come on." I say. "This is the living room." I open the curtains. "Balcony. Sometimes I grow herbs out here but I didn't this year."

"That's nice."

"You should grow weed."

Both Winona and I ignore Brayden's quip as we walk across his sight line, much to his annoyance. "Hallway. Washroom. That's Brayden's room and that one's mine."

"Oh?" Stepping forward Winona pushes the door to my room open to peer inside. I reach past her to turn on the light. "Oh!" Her eyes wide she pans across my walls taking in all the myriad landscapes and wildlife. "Woooah! Did you take all of these?"

"Yeah." I say. "Well, most of them."

She walks in with me right behind. Only now do I see the cool braid that went down the center of her back, framed by the rest of her cascade of obsidian hair.

"If you two are banging leave the door open." Calls Brayden.

"Brayden!" I exclaim. "I am so sorry Wi..."

"Maybe we will." Winona was already calling back. "You might learn a thing or two."

"Pfff. Yeah right!"

"I'm sorry about him." I say in low voice.

"No worries dude." She says unfazed, still admiring my work. "Avery. These are really good!"

"Thank you." I blush. "Hey. W-W-Wanna see a bluebird? I got the shot that day we met."

"Yeah! Totally." As I sit at my computer and call up the folder she continues to look around. "Hello? What's this? Ohhhh no!"

"What is it?" I look up.

Winona had taken up the framed picture I kept on my dresser and held it in both hands. That one wasn't taken by me but my Mom, back when I was just five and still had my bright 'buttercup' hair. It showed me on Grandpa's lap with a fishing rod beside us on the aft deck of his boat. Though I could not see the picture I knew it by heart. Grandpa, still with some blond in his hair, had a huge, proud smile as I sat squinting against the sun mid-giggle while pointing out at something on the water. There was something, some X factor I could not quite put my finger on, caught in that instant that showed our familial resemblance better than any other photo of us taken before or since.

"Is that you!?" She laughs. "What a cutie!!!"

"Yeah, it's me."

"So cute!" She says. "And whose this handsome fella with you? I've seen him around."

"That's my..." My throat catches and I quickly clear it. "That's my Grandpa."

"He looks fun."

"He's um...he's...um...he's..." I swallow the sob that threatened to escape and turn away so she could not see my dewy eyes. "He's the best." Collecting myself I focus on finding the pick of the series of shots I took that day. "Here's that bluebird."

She sets down the frame and hurries to lean over my shoulder. She smelled nice. And very familiar. The lovely scent brought back warm memories of my brief time as Althea.

"Oh wow." She looks at the little avian perched so perfectly on the spruce branch, the town and ocean spreading out into the distance in the background. "That is gorgeous."

"Yeah. I was lucky. He sat really nice for me."

"How do you know it's a he?"

"Color." I say. "The females are more gray. Generally male birds are always the smaller and prettier ones."

grimbous
grimbous
1,037 Followers