A Simple Life Ch. 27-35

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"He's in my bush?"

"Kay, shush now."

I cannot see but I hear a rustle get closer. Lowering my hands I look up to see Winona pushing through between the shrub and the wall. I stay frozen, unsure of what to do. Being found like this I couldn't exactly stand up and try to act this was normal or shrug it off. And at the moment I had nowhere else to run.

Winona plucks one of the violet hydrangea blooms and commences to sit down right there beside me. Right in the dark soil!

"N-N-No." I whisper. "Your d-d-dress."

Without a care she settles her ass in the dirt and rests her back against the side of the house, her legs crossed beneath her skirt.

"Is he okay?" Kayla asks.

"Give us a couple of minutes Kay."

"But..."

"Give us a couple of minutes." She says again more firmly.

"Yeah, sure Winnie."

Holding the little spray of flowers by the stem she slowly twirls it between her finger and thumb. I remain crouched and balled up waiting for her to say something. But she doesn't. She simply sits and waits and watches the blossoms spin forward then back, which makes it incredibly awkward for me. It was tough to hide and be alone when there was somebody sitting there with you. Watching her nonchalantly watch the flowers and seeing that she wasn't overtly angry or upset I gradually, bit by bit, relax from my shell.

Summoning my courage I sniffle and stutter in a raspy voice. "I-I-I'm s-s-sorry. I-I-I c-can w-w-walk home."

"If you want." She says, her voice low and calm. After a moment's pause she says. "It's pretty cool we found a group so easy."

"Wh-what?"

"The FoF group." She says. "Usually it's a pain in the ass getting an in person game together. We're lucky."

"L-Lucky?"

"They might not all stick with it but hey, it gets us started."

Bringing the flowers close she sniffs them and smiles, then offers it to me. Unsure of what else to do I accept the bloom, holding it by the stem in both hands. I was so confused. She was talking like nothing happened.

"I wonder what class they'll each play." She says as she looks around the back of the plant and begins flicking at one of the leaves nearby. "Cain will be a warrior of some sort I'm pretty sure. I get the sense that Briar will take one of the more advanced options. I suspect she knows the rules even better than I do." She laughs. "And Kayla and Riley, who knows! This is going to be interesting. I hope I'm ready for these weirdos."

I look from the flower, to her, back to the flower, and back to her again as I grappled with what was happening here. Why was she acting like this?

"Y-Y-You d-d-don't-t-t..."

Reaching over she pats my chest. "Breathe Sprout. It's okay." As I gasp and gulp breaths of air she says again. "It's okay."

I swallow hard and try again. "You d-don't have to p-p-pretend to l-l-like me."

"You're right." She says right back. "I don't."

"Wh-Why are you h-here?"

"We're on a date, remember?" She says, then looks around. "Never had a date in a bush before. It's original, I'll give you that."

Despite myself I laugh. "M-Maybe next time it'll be a t-tree."

"Hey! We're moving up in the world."

I giggle-cry at the quip but then sigh sadly. "If...there is a n-next time."

She glances at me. "We'll have to see how this one turns out. I'm having a pretty good time so far."

Good time? We were sitting in the dirt wedged between a wall and shrubbery. She had a pretty funny idea of what was a good time. She had pretty funny ideas about a lot of things, choice of men chief among them.

"I'm s-sorry I'm like this. I'm s-sorry I r-ruined..."

"Stop." She says. "No apologies."

I take long, deep breath. The shame and anxiety that had me tied in knots just minutes ago getting more slack for ever second Winona sat with me.

"Didn't like the movie?" She gently probes. "Hit a nerve?"

"It was...it was wonderful." I whisper. Settling down I sit beside her in the dirt, hip to hip, clutching my flower to my chest. As natural as anything she slips an arm around me and lightly grips my opposite shoulder. "It was absolutely wonderful. It was...the b-best thing...I-I've ever seen."

Leaning her head down and around to look me in the eyes she says. "It's okay to cry Avery. Everyone tears up at a good movie. Everyone with a heart at least."

"Everyone?"

"Everyone." She says. "You should see my Dad at the end of Turner and Hooch. I'm talkin open fire hydrants."

"Your Dad!?" That big, tough mechanic Amos cried at movies?

"Oh yeah. It's his soft spot. He can't stand seeing animals suffer." She says. "Gets him every time." Her hand rubs across to my neck and down my back. "It wasn't just the movie though. Was it?"

I shake my head no.

"Did you want to talk about it?"

I think about it. I think about it hard. While I knew I had to keep Grandpa's secret, even I wasn't supposed to know about it yet, I also knew that eventually I would have to share that heavy burden with somebody. Somebody that I trusted to hold it close. But not yet. I don't think I could have even said the words aloud without completely falling to pieces again. The pain was still too fresh, the wound too deep. I shake my head again.

"Okay." She says softly. Taking in a big breath through her nose she lets it out through her mouth and rests her head back to look up at the darkening sky. "It's a nice night."

"Yeah." I lay my head back as well and look up with her to see the first star of the night twinkling high above. "Winona?"

"Yeah Sprout?"

"Why are you so nice?"

She sighs and shifts closer. "I dunno. Might be your pretty smile, might be dat phat ass, whose to say?"

"What!?" I giggle.

"I'm kidding." She chuckles and bumps her side into me. "You're easy to be nice to Sprout. I...I think you're worth it."

"Oh!"

"Yeah."

We fall silent and sit in the floral aroma of hydrangea watching the sky darken to reveal a few more celestial bodies. For a time she rests her cheek on my head and I rest mine on her shoulder. Looking back down at the violet colored flowers I still held I say. "Kayla's gonna worry. Should we go back in?"

"We could stay here if you want." She sits up again, then confides. "Between you and me, I don't trust that Babe one bit."

"He's okay."

"If you say so." She replies, unconvinced.

"We should go in." I let out a huff and sit up straighter as I gather myself. "Man, this is going to be so embarrassing. Everyone's going to think I'm so weird."

"And they'd be right." She pinches my chin and gives it a little shake. "Weird is good."

"Weird is good."

I look up at her. She looks down at me. Our eyes meet. Our souls touch. And for one shared beat of our hearts...time stands still.

The next thing I knew I was being kissed.

***

Chapter 34

I'd only just realized what was actually happening when the moment had already passed. I sit stunned, gawping up at Winona as she casually smooths out her clothes and gets to her feet as if nothing had happened. The kiss, no more than a peck really, had been so brief I wonder if I had imagined it. But the merry twinkle in Winona's eyes as she offers her hand to help me up tells me that it was real. Though she plays it cool a fay grin plays at her lips as she sees the effect she'd had on me.

I reach up and take her hand and let her help me to my feet, impressed as always by her deceptive strength. Standing and staring I touch my lips and whisper. "What was that for?" I felt stupid the moment the words escaped my lips.

Her only answer is a breezy laugh and a shake of her head at the silly question. "Come on Sprout." We exit the bush, her leading me by the hand, and once on soft lawn brush the soil from our bottoms. I straighten my clothes and wipe my eyes and cheeks thinking about nothing except for that tease of a kiss. It was...nice. Really nice. Her lips were so soft. I wanted more. Winona faces me and runs a hand down my vest as she checks me over. She then gives the pad of her thumb a big lick and brings it to my lips to wipe them clean of her lipstick. "Got a little something there."

I giggle.

She nods toward the house. "Ready?"

"Yeah."

She pats my chest. "If they tease you I'll kick their ass."

Something about the way she said that...I actually believed her. It made me smile. She made me smile. A smile that came from deep inside. Just as she had pulled me from my hiding place behind the shrubbery she had lifted my heart from the depths of self pity through patience, understanding, and kindness. She offers me her arm in that gentlemanly way she had when I was Althea and I am only too happy to accept the offer. Holding close to her side I accompany my date back into the house.

The moment we are through the door Kayla springs to her feet and hurries to meet us. Around the living room the others turn to look with concerned expressions on their faces. Argh! This was so embarrassing! Oh so subtly Winona's arm pulls me in closer.

"Are you okay?" Kayla asks.

"Y-Yeah." I say sheepishly. "S-Sorry about that." I grip Winona's arm a little harder to borrow some courage and after a deep breath say. "I, uh, I was embarassed. The movie made me...cry."

"Oh my God. That's why you ran out of here!?" Kayla smiles. "I was getting misty eyed myself."

"Me too." Says Briar, now sitting cross-legged from her spot on the floor. "Full on sniffles."

"Avery. Everyone knows how close you and your grandpa are." Kayla says. "No wonder it hit you. Geez, I thought it was something serious."

Before anything more can be said Winona chimes in. "How about another round of Mojitos? And where's the music? I thought this was a party."

Kayla smiles and pats my shoulder then gives her ex a nod. "Drinks coming up. Babe! Let's lift the mood." With a flourish she snaps a hand into the air. "CUFF IT!"

Moments later a pumping beat and the silky smooth tones of Beyonce fills the pod. Right away Winona starts grooving to the rhythm. Peeling away from me she turns sways her way backward into the center of the open area, her hands beckoning me forward. I look left. I look right. Then I look back to her and point at myself and mouth the word. 'Me?' Grinning as hard as I am she nods. "I d-don't know how to dance." I say over the music.

"Me neither!" She claps, her body jiving to the beat as her long skirt swished back and forth, and summons me forward with a a gimme-gimme-gimme motion of her hands. "Come to Mama."

With a laugh I step out and start to dance. Dance was a generous term for my awkward bobbing and shuffling but Kayla's hoot and Winona's approving smile spur me on. The fact that Winona was even clumsier on the dance floor than I was yet completely at ease with that makes me all the bolder. Fuck the haters! Still holding the flower that she'd picked for me in my left hand I boogie.

Cain gets up from his chair and in one swift flowing motion lifts Riley to her feet by her hands. She throws her head back and laughs and the pair spin out to join us in the open space between the kitchen and living room.

"Eeeeee!" Riley squeals with delight as her suave boyfriend pulls her tight to his body. The pair dance. Like, properly dance. Their graceful, practiced motions making Winona and I look like the pair of klutzes that we were, not that we were having any less fun.

Hips bopping back and forth as she muddles the new batch of mojito Kayla calls out to Briar. "Come on girl. Get up! Shake that booty, baby."

"Oh!" Briar's face turns bright pink. She looks around at the rest of us. "Okay."

Standing up she starts with a little nod in time to the music. Her shoulders start to rock back and forth. Then her arms begin to swing forward and back. Soon her hips join the action and finally her knees. While her feet remain planted to the floor the rest of her was dancing along with the rest of us. I can't even imagine what kind of dance she thought she was doing but it was hilarious and wonderful.

"Ha ha haaaa! That's it Briar." Abandoning the drinks Kayla twirls and weaves through the rest of us to join her new friend.

One song leads to the next and then to another. Without being asked Babe seemed to know just the songs to pick. Upbeat, lively, and each one better than the last for dancing. For a computer he was a pretty darn good DJ. The six of us laugh and sing along and move our bodies to the music. It was all so FUN! For the first time in my life I actually understood why parties were so popular.

It hits me by the fourth tune...that I hadn't ruined anything. My emotional outburst was a thing of the past. In fact we were having the time of our lives. Nobody here expected me to be perfect or looked down on me for my moment of weakness. I never would have seen this had Winona not drawn me back out of my shell. It made me wonder how many other things that I had run away from throughout my life might not have been the earth-shattering deal I thought they were at the time.

Speaking of Winona...my goodness she was beautiful. As we danced a very light sheen of sweat made her skin glow as if from some inner light. Now and again her eyes catch mine. Each and every time I my heart skips a beat and I am hit with that same connection as when our eyes met behind the hydrangea. That moment just before she kissed me. Each time our gaze would linger and the fires of our desire burned ever hotter. In her burning hazel eyes I see a future brighter than the sun, I feel a lust hotter than flame and hear the sigh of a thousand unspoken promises.

As another song winds down Winona, her eyes still locked on mine, surprises everyone by speaking to the AI for the first time that night. "Babe. Play 'Feels So Right' by Alabama."

Without a verbal reply Babe obeys the request and soon the upbeat pop transitions into the sultry opening notes of that song I'd heard and commented on the night before. She remembered. Graceful as ever Cain and Riley transition effortlessly into a slow dance, Riley melting happily into her boyfriend's tall, muscular body. Even Kayla and Briar get into it. Not nearly as intimate as the couple but more of an easy waltz. And Winona and I? We stand facing each other in the center of the room gazing into each others eyes. Around us the pod, the people, the world fades into the distance until it was just her and I and the music.

Plucking the flower from my hand she tucks it into the breast pocket of my vest then opens her arms to me. "Avery Beckett. May I have this dance?"

I damn near cry all over again, this time from joy. With a nod I reach out for her. She takes me into her strong arms and pulls me close. As the sweet notes and words of the romantic country ballad float around us, we dance. We dance and she leads. From the very first step it was simply what flowed, easily and naturally. My arms around her waist, her arms around my body, I rest my head on her shoulder as we slowly rock to the melody.

Feels so right.

***

Chapter 35

One slow dance leads to another and another and the whole chummy mood of our gathering completely transforms into one that is much more intimate. At least for four of us it does. As Winona holds me close and slowly dances me around the center of the room we can hear little lover's whispers between Cain and Riley. We could hear the details but Riley's swoony sighs and frisky giggles left little doubt that those two were going to have a good night once they were on their own. It is a surprise to nobody when Cain is the one to initiate the wind down.

"One more before the road." He says as previous song's closing notes linger, his warm eyes gazing down on his lady. For once...Riley had nothing to say. She just smiles back up at him and nods.

"Sounds good." Says Kayla. "Why don't you close us out Briar babe?"

"Me?" She looks around at each of us then says. "Okay. Babe. Today Was A Fairytale, Taylor Swift."

The strumming of an acoustic guitar picks up followed by the whimsical lyrics of romance and innocence. It was the perfect closer for such a fantastic evening. As if floating on air I follow Winona through this last dreamy dance of the night.

Halfway through she glances left. She glances right. Then she looks back down at me with a coy smirk. "Sprout...I've got a problem."

"Mm?"

Her voice a whisper she says. "I need your help."

"Anything." I whisper back. "Wh-What is it?"

"You've, erm, you've gone and made me hard."

"Oh!" She pulls me a bit tighter to her as she spins me and there pressed against me is the unmistakable feel of her large erection. In a flash I understood the issue. Even through her panties and dress there was a potential someone might catch a hint of a shape that ought not to be there. Feeling pretty darned flattered at being the inspiration for her tent I cannot help but giggle.

She laughs despite herself. "It's not funny."

"Of course not." I titter and force my face to straighten.

"Just...stay in front of me." She says. "Kayla can see but help me with the others. Just until I can get to my jacket."

"Hide the sausage? On the first date!?" I give her an impish wink. "I'm not that k-kind of boy."

"HA HA HA!" Winona's merry laugh rings out causing the others to chuckle as well. "You little..." Grabbing me tight she twirls me around and ends the song in a deep dip. There she holds me, gazes, and brushes her nose against mine. Our lips come so close...but the kiss is denied. She pulls me back up a very flustered man.

As we gather and wrap things up with some friendly chit chat, Babe playing some low unobtrusive music playing in the background, I remain directly in front of Winona as a human shield. Her hands resting on my shoulders felt natural and nice.

Kayla catches our cozy closeness and says. "Okay. I have to admit it. You two are adorable together." She smiles at me. "Why don't you just forget about what I said Avery?"

I smile back. "I already did."

"What did you...?" Winona starts.

"None of your business." Kayla cuts in. "Just some friendly advice between...friends. You just be nice to my boy here or you'll have me to answer to."

Winona squeezes my shoulders. "You know I will."

We mingle toward the door where Winona grabs her jacket and hat. The hat she wears, the jacket she folds over her hands to hold in front of her. I have to stop myself from giggling again. Anxious to get to their night of lovin Cain and Riley expedite their goodbyes and we are soon out front. Cain straddles the scooter they'd borrowed from the gate and happy as can be Riley hops on to be his back warmer.

Hugging to her man tight Riley says. "That was fun! Let's do it again soon."

Cain nods to Winona. "Keep us in the loop about the game."

"Count on it." She says. "Ready to go Sprout?"

I nod.

"Y'all walking?" Kayla asks, noting the lack of another scooter. "I could give you a lift to the gates. I gotta give Briar a ride home anyway."

"That's okay." Winona says. "It's a nice night."

"I'd rather walk." I agree.

"In that case why don't you stick around Briar." Kayla says, a flirtatious and mischievous twinkle in her eyes that every one of us besides Briar instantly recognized. "You can tell me more about this game we'll be playing." The rest of us shoot each other knowing glances. If she played along Briar would be the next to join Kinky Kayla's ever growing body count.

"Oh, um, sure Kayla." Briar says obliviously. "I have some ideas for that succubus character concept you were interested in."

"Succubus?" Kayla grins a delightfully wicked grin. "That sounds just wonderful my dear."

Cain laughs. "On that note, good night all."

"Good niiiiight!" Riley waves.

And with that the pair whiz off down the path, the Meadow's automated system lighting up the way four street lamps out front of them as they move.

"Night Kay." Winona says. "It was...it was good to see you again. Really good."