A Simple Life Ch. 27-35

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
grimbous
grimbous
1,022 Followers

"You don't say." Her hand brushes the back of my neck sending a shiver down my back. It is gone again in an instant. She stands and continues to look around. "You are really good Sprout. I mean really great."

"Thank you." I say bashfully.

"I should, um...I should get you to shoot me sometime."

"You?"

"I mean, I dunno. Might be fun. I've never had real photographer do me, ya know?"

"I-I-I don't really do portraits."

"Oh okay. No biggie."

"I-I-I mean I-I totally could though! I know how." I say, a bit too eagerly perhaps. "I w-would love to...shoot you...Winona."

"That makes two of us Avie." Brayden's unwelcome quip cuts in from the living room. "I'll help bury the body."

"Brayden!"

"Come try it couch jockey." Winona calls. "I'd be damned if I let an NPC like you get one over on me."

"NPC!?" I cover my mouth and begin to giggle.

"Yeah, yeah. Big mouth, all talk." He says. "If you were a man I'd kick your ass."

"If you were a man I might give a shit."

"PBBBT!" I am busting a gut. "He he he he!"

"Whatever." My roomie grumbles.

"I think I like him." She winks at me with a playful grin. "Wanna get outta here?"

"Yes please!"

She offers me her arm which I take in a flash. Walking together we head for the door and out on our first date.

***

Chapter 29

I crawl up into the passenger side of Winona's truck, which had definitely seen the inside of a car wash recently, to find the interior cleaned, polished, and vacuumed since the last time I saw it during the move. The gun rack was still in the back window, minus the weaponry thank goodness. Guns always made me nervous. Winona gets in and shoots me a smile before getting the truck's engine running. Despite it's age the vehicle purred like a kitten, which made sense given her profession. She pushes the shift stick into gear and soon we are on our way.

"I, uh, I like your truck." I say as a way to break the ice.

"She's okay." Winona says. "Starting to show her age though." As she shifts into second she pats this stick shift. "This was the last year they made manual. I don't think I'd have kept her so long otherwise."

"You prefer manual?"

"It's what I learned on." She shifts. "This very truck is what I learned on actually. I feel like I have more control with a stick. Although lately I've been looking hard at that new V-8 Raptor. It's a sexy beast. They're not giving them away though."

"Yeah." I say, without a clue what a Raptor was. "I-I'm saving up for a new bike myself."

"You like motorbikes, huh?" She says. "With all the rain on Ehkolie you don't see many riders."

"Yeah." I say. "I'm used to it. Hey, how was Portland?"

"Fun! I got to see my brother. He and I always have a good time, even it is just shopping and running around."

"Oh? He lives in Oregon?"

"Yeah, Russell fell in love with the Northwest while we were here." She says. "He moved back within a couple months of us leaving. He's taking a journalism degree now."

"Russell?"

"Yeah."

"His name is Russell Crow?"

She points at me. "Don't you even start with that Sprout. Don't even start." I giggle which sets her to laughing too. "I like you Sprout but I will kick your ass if you bad mouth my baby bro."

"What?" I titter. "It's a good name. A strong name. Like a...gladiator or something."

"You little shit."

"A master and commander!"

"You are asking for it boy."

Her words were tough but the involuntary chuckles between them spurred me on. "I-I-I bet he has a beautiful mind. He he he!"

"If you were anybody else I swear..."

"Ha ha ha ha ha!" It wasn't even that funny, but the way Winona was trying to be serious while unable to contain her own laughter was cracking me up.

"Stop!" She gives a playful slap to my leg. "Are you trying to get a whoopin? Because I'll do it. I'll bend you over across my lap right here and spank that little white ass for all to see."

"PFFFF!" I cover my face with both hands, blushing furiously as my giggles turn into full blown belly laughs. "Ha ha ha ha!"

With a big happy grin she says more firmly. "Behave."

"Yes'm." I sit up and eventually manage to compose myself. "I was just jokin."

"I know." She laughs and shakes her head. As Winona drives on, her attention split between the road and me, she looks me up and down. "That vest is so hot on you. You look so damn fine tonight Avery."

"You think so?" I run my hands down the cobalt blue garment. "I was worried it was too plain."

"Uh uh. So cute." She says. "You lookin like that is gonna make it hard to keep my secret, if you catch my meaning."

"Keep your...secret?" Her only answer is a little glance to her groin. I blush again. "Oh! He he he. Um, th-thank you. Y-You look really really good too."

"Only two reallys? I'll have to work on that." She winks.

She makes the turn toward The Meadow and soon finds a spot in the lot. "I heard about this place. I can't believe we have to park out here. So we can drive across town to get here and then have to hoof it the last few hundred yards?"

"You've never been in the Tits before?"

"I mean, I've been under, over, around, and between Kayla's tits plenty of times. But never IN. Ha!"

"Pffft." Yet more giggling from me. "I mean The Meadow, silly."

"Nah."

"They want it to be clean and quiet and green. A community of the future."

"It's just another gated community to keep the riff-raff out, this one all dressed up in good intentions." She shrugs. "But I guess their heart is in the right place."

"Yeah." I say. "I find it kinda weird too. Like they're trying so hard to make it look natural that it looks fake, ya know? Like a zombie town. I've shot here before but the photos turn out...I dunno, cold. Like some too perfect dystopia." I hop out of the truck and walk around to meet Winona. "There's some cool parts about it though. Just wait until you meet Babe."

"Babe?"

"You'll see. Come on." We walk toward the gate past a familiar yellow Miata.

"Riley's here."

"Oh yeah. They're still close."

"I liked Riley. She's cool. Loud, but cool."

"Yeah." I say, knowing all too well that the exuberant Riley never learned the concept of 'inside voice'. "I keep forgetting that you know Kayla and her circle."

"You were the only one I never met properly." She says. "After our first meeting Kayla made sure of that."

"I was...being silly."

"You're allowed to be silly." She grins.

"You want a scooter?" I wave toward the bank of electric bikes. "They're free to use inside the walls."

"You mind walking?" She asks. "It's a lovely evening."

"Not at all." I smile. In fact, I could think of nothing else I'd rather do than enjoy a stroll with her.

We pass through the gates and into the artificial nature of The Meadow. As we stroll unhurriedly along the wide, smooth path Winona's eyes scan left and right over the green rolling landscape, neatly manicured gardens, the group tossing a Frisbee around in the distance, and the little double dome houses. As for myself, I could barely my eyes off of her. She was so beautiful. Soooo beautiful! The evening light made her tawny skin positively radiant. The heels of her boots gave her an extra inch or so on me as well, which was so damn sexy. Before Winona I never really had a thing for taller women but the more I hung around her the more I was coming to adore the height difference. It was more than just physical too. How many girls had I seen barely even give me a glance just because I was small? Too many to count. But Winona saw past that, or perhaps she was attracted to it, either way it made me feel big on the inside.

"What is it?" She asks, interrupting my idolizing gaze. "Do I have something on my face?" She begins to feel around her lips.

"Oh!" I look away, embarrassed by being caught staring. "S-Sorry."

She laughs that easy laugh of hers. "So what's the movie?"

"Um, I don't actually know." I say. "We'll probably choose on the spot if I know Kayla. Probably a comedy."

"Probably." She says. "Gonna be weird seeing her again."

"Yeah, I guess it would be." I say as a dawning feeling of dread washes over me. Winona cuts straight to that apprehension with her very next statement.

"It was cool with her that I was coming?"

"Uh, yeah. I mean, I think so."

"You think so?"

"I...said I might ask you out sometime, but...I never actually mentioned that you were coming. Here. Tonight. Specifically."

"What?" She stops. "You didn't tell her?"

"I-I kinda...forgot."

"Oh man."

"She w-won't mind...i-if I have a date." I hasten to assure her. "It'll be c-cool."

"Avery, I'm not just any date." She says. "You didn't run it by her at least? She doesn't even know that I'm coming?"

"She won't mind, um, I-I d-d-don't think." I stammer. "I just as-assumed...I didn't even...I was d-distracted with...other stuff."

"Okay." She takes a deep breath. "Alright then. Well, too late to warn her now."

"I'm s-sorry."

"What's done is done. It's as much my fault as yours. I've been meaning to touch base with her. I guess now is as good a time as any." It was subtle but catch her hands gripping nervously at her sides. "This ought to be...interesting."

"D-Don't be scared." I say, wanting more than anything to ease her nerves.

"Scared?" She looks at me as if I were crazy.

"Kayla won't cause a scene or anything. Sh-She's not like that." I take a half step closer to her, wanting to hug her or hold her hand or do anything that might make her feel better but not daring to. "A-And I-I'll be right there if you n-need someone."

"Me? Scared? Pfff. You don't know me that well Sprout."

"W-We could g-go do something else. I c-could cancel..."

"Avery. I'm not scared. I just thought it would be awkward for her." She adjusts her hat and stares straight ahead with narrow steely eyes. "I'm not scared of anything."

"Oh. Uh. Yeah." I bow my head in guilt at causing this situation. "Of course."

She gives me a look out of the corner of her eye. "Okay. Maybe I'm a little scared. Just like a teeny-tiny little bit. Like barely at all." She takes a breath. "All the more reason to get it out of the way now." The back of her hand brushes against mine. "And you'll be there, if I need a friendly face, right?"

"Right!"

"Right." She nods. Letting out a laugh she says. "I'm making more of this than Kayla ever would. I was only ever another notch on the bedpost for her."

"Winona! Don't say that."

"It's true though." She says with another fortifying breath then looks over at me and smiles. "Tonight isn't about her."

I smile back. "No. It isn't."

"You really do look great tonight Avery."

"You too Winona."

Her hazel eyes dance with a lively spirit of adventure. "Let's go have some fun."

***

Chapter 30

"This one here." I point the to the pod ahead though I probably didn't need to. Bopping pop music could be heard from here as well as a upbeat voices voices from an open window. We walk around Kayla's electric car and come stand on the doorstep. Winona goes to knock but I hold up my hand to stop her. "Hold on. Check this out."

Just then the volume of the tunes lower a moment as Babe announces our presence. "There is somebody at the door Kayla."

Winona's eyebrows raise at the AI's voice. "That's Babe."

We hear Kayla through the window say loudly. "Here's mah boy Avery!"

In the pause before Kayla can get to the door I whisper to Winona. "Everything is going to be okay." She gives a tense nod. I then wait a heartbeat before muttering softly. "Mommy."

Winona's head snaps to look at me just as the door swings open. The pair of us are suppressing chuckles as we greet our host.

"Hi Kayla." I smile.

"Hey Kay." Winona says, her voice almost apologetic.

Kayla's big smile disappears the moment she sees my surprise date only to reassert itself a second later. "Winnie?"

Winona holds her arms out wide. "Surprise."

Kayla holds her forced grin as she looks from Winona to me with a quiet 'WTF?' look in her eyes. "Wow."

"I, um, I brought a date." I say. "I hope that's okay."

"Of course it is!" Kayla says as she holds my gaze in hers. "What a wonderful surprise. Winnie! It's great to see you again."

"Been awhile Kay." She replies. "Good to see you too. I, uh, I've been meaning to call..."

"Oh yeah. I get it." Kayla cuts her off. Standing at Kayla's side this whole time looking terribly uncomfortable is a tiny brown haired, brown eyed woman in jeans and a frumpy maroon sweater with an owl on the front. Just now remembering that the woman was there Kayla turns and says. "Hey, this is Briar. She's a new friend." She looks at Briar. "This is Avery, and his date Winona."

"Oh! I see. Yes." She says in a nasally voice. "Good to meet you two."

By the way Kayla leaned into the words 'his date' I catch right away what was happening here. Last time I talked to Kayla she mentioned a 'shy, sweet little thing' that she could hook me up with if I was interested. This Briar was clearly the sweet little thing. Kayla had been looking to play matchmaker tonight and I'd just thrown a spanner in the works by showing up with a plus one. Bad enough I roll up with her ex unannounced, now this. Could this moment get any more awkward?

"Hello Briar." Winona smiles and nods politely.

"H-Hey." I say with a little finger wave. She waves back and squirms.

Thankfully it was Riley to the rescue. "WINNIE!?" The ebullient, buxom, curly-haired bottle blonde force of nature known as Riley comes bowling right through Kayla and Briar to give Winona a big hug. "Oh my God girl, I've missed you! AHHHHHH!!!"

Winona hugs her back. "Yeah. I warned you I'm not so good at keeping long distance friendships."

"Me neither!"

"But I'm back now. Hopefully for good."

"Well come on!" She grabs both Winona's hands in hers and pulls her inside. "We've got so much catching up to do!" Winona shoots me an amused look of helplessness as she is dragged into the living room. "Cain! Look who it is. Winnie's back."

"Hey Winona." Cain, Riley's boyfriend of many years, says in his deep silky voice. He gets up from the chair beside the sofa to give her a fist bump. Even through his snug gray sweater his sculpted muscles looked carved from marble. His brown skin was a shade darker than Kayla's and his eyes a shade lighter. "Heard you were back."

"Hey man." She says. "I like the beard."

"Thanks." He grins and rubs his chin that was as impeccably trimmed as the tight buzz cut on his head.

Cain offers me a hello nod which I give back then the three of them sit down to catch up.

Kayla, Briar, and I stand at the door in an uncomfortable pause before Kayla breaks the tension with a poke to my belly. "Mister Surprises here. Ha! Tea?"

"Oh, uh, y-yeah. Sure."

"Tea?" She asks Briar.

"Yes please." Briar grins.

Kayla winks at me. "I found another tea drinker." She turns and starts for her kitchen. "Jack still your drink Winnie?"

"I'm driving." Winona calls back.

"I still make a mean mock mojito."

"Hook me up Kay."

"Oh my God! I want one! I WANT ONE!"

"I heard you Riley." Kayla chuckles. "I'll make a pitcher."

Despite knowing about Winona's familiarity with this group I hadn't been ready for just how much she blended right in with the rest of them. Kayla, Riley, and Cain, as locals close to my own age, I'd known most of my life. Kayla and Riley I'd graduated with and Cain was just a year ahead us. And yet, for Riley and Cain at least, I was still mostly a stranger. Being a quiet loner I think I creeped out the naturally extroverted Riley and Cain was soured to us Becketts thanks to some unfortunate run-ins with my older brothers over the years. To Cain's credit he never held it against me, but neither did he warm to me. And my stuttering ass wasn't about to build that bridge from my end. Yet here was Winona who had only known this gang for a couple of years at most getting along like old friends. It didn't make me feel jealous but it did make me feel unworthy of being with someone so effortlessly cool.

Meanwhile I stand like a lost puppy near the door with an equally lost Briar. Each of us not really sure of what to say to the other. I already suspected by the fact that Kayla was looking to hook Briar up that she was a fellow introvert, the always helpful Kayla only played matchmaker where and when she felt she needed to, and this painful silence between us only confirmed that suspicion.

"Get over here you two wallflowers." Kayla beckons Briar and I. She laughs as the pair of us hurry to her side thankful for the interruption. "Birds of a feather, I swear." She directs Briar to the kettle. "You mind getting the water boiling and finding some mugs?"

"Sure Kayla." She says sweetly.

"Hey, sorry about the misunderstanding Briar."

Briar glances my direction and shrugs. "That's okay. It's cool."

"I'll make it up to you." Kayla says. She then turns to me. "Limes are in the fridge. You wanna get one cut into wedges?"

"O-Okay."

The upbeat music plays and the living room chatter continues as I find the limes, knife and cutting board Kayla gets a pitcher and mint leaves. She stands shoulder to shoulder with me. The moment our backs were turned on the rest of the room we were whispering.

"Oh my God! Why didn't you tell me you were bringing Winnie?"

"I-I forgot."

"Poor Briar. That must have been so embarrassing."

"Y-Y-You n-n-never told m-me!"

"I guess we're even then." She nudges me shoulder to shoulder. "Your loss might be my gain though, eh?"

"Kayla!" I nudge her back. "You are s-so bad."

She chuckles. "You two woulda been perfect together though." She peeks over to look at Winona then looks back to me. "You sly dog! You actually asked her out!"

"Y-Yeah."

"Avery. For you? That's amazing!" She says happily. "I'm proud of you pal."

I smile bashfully. "It kinda happened by accident. B-But I'm glad I did." Sheepishly I peer over at her. "Y-You're not upset?"

"No way." She says. "Surprised. Confused. Concerned that you didn't listen to your old pal Kayla. But definitely not upset." She leans in even closer. "So you know? About...ahem, her?"

"Yes. I know."

"Crazy, huh?"

"I think it's...she's...wonderful."

"It's wonderful alright." She laughs. "We'll talk later." Putting some lime and mint into the pitcher she begins to muddle them. "Sooo, spill it."

"Spill?"

"When you left here you were going to nip it in the bud. Now here you are all dressed up and on a date. What happened between then and now?"

"I dunno. We just...get along." I say. "She's nice."

"Oh?"

I smile as I remember back. "She texted me today from Portland just to get my opinion on love seats."

"Dude. She's getting you to choose furniture!?" She elbows my arm. "What'd I say? It's not too late to run."

"Nuh uh." I shake my head. "I like her."

"Well good luck with that wild mustang." She says. Adding some sugar and more lime she smashes the ingredients into a juicy pulp. "You're in for a hell of a ride cowboy."

"She's not at all like you say." I say. "She's caring and gentle and...makes me feel good."

"Did you two...?" She waggles her brows up and down suggestively.

"Kayla!"

She laughs. "Well, did you?"

"No!" I say. "We just made a Fables of Fantasy character and..."

"You guys play FoF?" Interrupts Briar's nasal voice. "Which edition?"

"Oh! Briar." We turn to look to see her standing directly behind us with three boxes of different teas in her hands. "I didn't realize you could hear us."

Briar blushes. "Um...I mean, I'm right here. Did you want me to...go over there?"

Kayla puts and arm around the blushing brunette. "Not on your life darlin. You stay right here with me. With everyone pairing off we single gals gotta stick together."

Briar laughs as she is gently shook by our mutual friend. Kayla returns to her task filling up the pitcher with ice and club soda leaving us to chat.

grimbous
grimbous
1,022 Followers