A Sweet Tender Love Story for Bob

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

That place of hers needs a lot of work, he thought, heavy work a woman might have a hard time doing. I'll give her a few days to settle in, then take some tools with me and go over and see what help she might need.

Adrian turned onto the long driveway and when she saw the house, tears welled up in her eyes. Happy memories of childhood flooded back to her when she spotted the old swing still hanging from the big branch of the Elm tree. It was as if she could see the ghost of a happy little girl being pushed high by her daddy.

Her daddy, the one man she could always count on, the one she turned to when the going got tough, the one man she missed terribly. She was in Europe when she got word that he had died suddenly. It broke her heart that she couldn't get back for his funeral, due to the weather no planes were flying when she needed one.

She made a quick trip home when she could, and went directly to the cemetery, laid flowers on his grave and wept. She talked to him and told him how hard she tried to gethome for his funeral, she told him how much she loved him and how much she was going to miss him.

Now she sat in her car looking at the house she was born in and raised. It was sad to see it is such disrepair. "This is going to need a lot of work and a lot of money," she said aloud. She noticed that the grass was sparse and the weeds had pretty much taken over, but it had been cut recently, by whom she didn't know, but she was grateful. Well I'd better get in there and see what's what, she thought. She pushed the trunk button on the door of her car before getting out, walked to the trunk and took out cleaning supplies. "I'll get my luggage later," she said to herself. She walked up the three steps to the porch and used her key to open the front door.

A musty odor and semi-darkness greeted her. The furniture was still covered by the sheets her friend Betty had been kind enough to place there after her father's death. Except for the sheets everything looked the same as it had when she left Peaceful, the same furniture placement, the same pictures on the wall. She smiled when she recalled that her father didn't like change. Coming home was like coming back to the past.

The first thing she did was walk from room to room raising the blinds and opening the windows. There was a soft breeze wafting in that ruffled the lace curtains in what used to be her bedroom. Looking out the bedroom window she saw for the first time the change Bob had brought to the property, his property now. She could hardly believe her eyes. It was beautiful!

His house was almost a mansion, with several small outbuildings and stunning landscaping. Spring flowers bloomed everywhere and in every color. The sweet scent of hyacinth drifted in with the breeze. She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply enjoying the aroma, and smiled. He's a magician, she thought.

"Ok enough of this, I have to get to work. Where do I start?" Looking around her bedroom she said, "I might just as well start here, at least I'll have a clean place to sleep." She rolled up her sleeves and dug in. First she removed the linens from the bed and curtains from the windows along with the throw rug on the floor and took them to the laundry room. I won't be able to wash these until tomorrow when the utilities are turned on, she thought.

Returning to the bedroom, she used the long handled dust mop to remove cob webs from the ceiling, walls and window sills, then went from room to room, up stairs and down doing the same thing. By the time she was finished it was dusk and the air coming in the windows was getting cool.

Stretching her arms to the ceiling trying to get the kinks out of her back, she said out loud, "Looks like I won't be sleeping here tonight, I'll have to go to the hotel. Having said that she shut all the windows, found her purse, locked the door and was on her way to Peaceful.

Adrian was back at the house early the next morning. Wandering through the house she decided that every room needed a good cleaning from top to bottom. It had been a long time since she had needed to do this kind of physical labor and her muscles were protesting from the work of the night before. Oh well, she thought, someone has to do it and that someone is me. She did what she could do without the water being turned on. As the morning wore on and it began to warm outside she opened the windows room by room.

It was noon before she realized she was hungry and stopped working to fix a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which she made from the few non-perishable groceries she had bought the night before. As she sat down to eat she heard water flowing through the pipes. By the time she finished eating the electricity and gas had been turned on.

"Thank goodness!" she said, "Now I can heat some water and start scrubbing this place."

She worked through the day washing ceilings, walls, and floors in her bedroom, kitchen and bathroom, figuring those were the important rooms to function in and the other rooms could wait until the next day. After washing bed clothes, curtains and rugs, she carried all to her bedroom, made her bed, hung the curtains and placed the rugs on the freshly scrubbed hardwood floor.

"One room completely finished and I can sleep in my own room tonight," she said out loud. "Tomorrow I'll clean the refrigerator, stove and cupboards, then the kitchen will be done."

It was almost dark outside, she turned on the small lamp by her bedside that was placed on a small table in front of the window, and lay down on top of her bed covers intending to rest a few minutes, but fell asleep almost instantly.


CHAPTER 4

Bob had been in his flower and vegetable gardens most of the day, weeding, digging and planting. Spring was a busy time for gardeners, but he loved the fresh air and getting his hands in the dirt. He stuck the shovel in the ground placing one foot on the metal edge and leaned on the handle surveying his work of that day.

A dim light in the window across the way suddenly came on and caught his attention. Adrian's house. I'll go over there tomorrow, he thought, and offer my help. That place is pretty much a mess, I'm sure there's something I can do for her. With an audible sigh he pulled the shovel out of the ground, picked up his other tools, and headed for the shed to put them away.

After his shower Bob went downstairs to the kitchen and took out the meal his housekeeper, Mrs. Higgins, had left in the warm oven for him before she left for the day. It was delicious as usual. After eating he walked into his library, sat in his brown leather easy chair, picked up his book and read until he was sleepy enough to go to bed.

Upstairs in his master bedroom he turned off the light and walked across the large room to his bed, stopping at the window to take in a breath of fresh spring air. The dim light in the window at Adrian's house was still glowing. He stood for a few minutes almost like a statue staring at the lighted window and felt a longing he hadn't felt in a very long time.

Adrian awoke the next morning to bright sunshine streaming in the window and the sound of birds chirping. Sometime during the night she had covered herself with the blanket, but didn't remember it.

"I must have been dead to the world," she said, "and I'm famished!" Throwing the blanket off, she got out of bed, walked downstairs to the kitchen and turned on the coffee pot she had prepared the night before then back upstairs to shower.

Once dressed, she ran a comb through her wet hair and decided against curling it or applying makeup. She would be working all day and it didn't matter.

"No one's going to see me anyway," she said to herself, and went downstairs to fix breakfast. Hmmm, she thought, not much here until I buy groceries today. Guess its toast with peanut butter and jelly again. Just as she put bread in the toaster there was a knock on the kitchen door. She looked through the window and saw it was her neighbor, Bob. Oh no, she though, I look a fright! Too late, he had seen her.

"Hello, Bob," she said as she opened the door. "Please come in."

"Good morning, Adrian. I came over to ask what I could do to help you get settled. Did I come too early?"

"Oh no, Bob, it isn't too early. I'm usually up long before this but I overslept."

At that moment the toast popped up and Adrian went over to the toaster and took it out. Bob saw the peanut butter jar and guessed that was all she had.

"Is that Breakfast?" He said.

"Yes, afraid so, I'll be going into town to buy groceries today, would you like some and a cup of coffee?"

"A cup of coffee would be great, but I'll pass on the toast and peanut butter. Will you allow me to take you to The Nook for a proper breakfast? It looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you and you need something more substantial than what you have here."

"Thank you Bob, but I'll be fine with this, besides I look a fright and am embarrassed that you saw me this way."

"Don't be. Please let me take you to breakfast. Tell you what. I'll sit here and drink my coffee while you get ready. Is it a deal?"

She cocked her head sideways and looked at him, deciding what to do. "Thank you, yes it's a deal." Halfway up the stairs she looked back and saw him staring at her.

"This won't take long. Enjoy your coffee."

She smiled all the way to the bedroom.

That is one fine looking woman, he thought, even fresh out of the shower. He perused the kitchen and noticed how run down it was. Taking his coffee cup he walked through the downstairs rooms evaluating what he saw. "Whew, this is going to take a lot of elbow grease," he said to himself, as he walked back to the kitchen.

Adrian came down the stairs and said, "I'm ready."

She was dressed in clean blue jeans and a light blue sweater that complimented her figure. The cut of her clothes exuded quality. She's beautiful, he thought, and she's wearing the same perfume she was wearing the other day.

"That didn't take long," he said.

"That's because I'm hungry. Let's go!"

When they arrived at The Nook every parking place was taken.

"Looks like a full house," said Bob. I'll park across the street."

When they went inside the restaurant, Rita was walking toward them with a big smile on her face.

"Well, hello, you two! Looks like you're just in time. I have one small table for two left in the back corner."

"Hello, Rita, we'll take it," said Adrian.

Rita walked them to the table, handed them a menu, and asked if they wanted coffee. They both said they did.

"Rita," said Bob, "before you get our coffee, I want to ask you something."

"Sure, Honey, what is it?"

"Why do some waitress, including yourself, wear those pretty fanned out handkerchiefs on their uniform?"

Rita looked at him and smiled broadly.

"Well, Bob, that's a professional secret and if I tell you, I'll lose my waitress license."

They all had a good laugh and Rita walked away to get their coffee.

When Rita left, Adrian smiled at Bob.

"This was a great idea, thank you for suggesting it."

Every time she smiled at him his heart skipped a beat.

"My pleasure, Adrian, what are your plans for the day? I know you're going to work in the house, but what exactly are you going to tackle next?

"I have to clean the refrigerator, stove and cupboards, then come back to town and buy groceries so I have something decent to eat. Eating out gets expensive. I also need more cleaning supplies. The house is in worse shape than I first thought."

"When you were upstairs I took a look around and saw some things that I can do to help. Some of the light sockets and faceplates need replaced and I want to check the wiring to make sure it's safe. Some of the cupboard door hinges need tightening, and you need a

new doorknob and deadbolt for the kitchen door. I can get those things done while you clean the refrigerator, stove, and cupboards. Will you let me do that for you?"

Adrian thought for a moment and said, "Bob, why are you doing this?

"I'm offering my help because I'm your neighbor and neighbors help each other. Who knows, I might need your help someday, I also know there are things in that house that need a man's attention. Now don't get riled up, I know women aren't helpless, but you might not have the knowledge I have. I'm a handy dandy fix-it man! There are also things that require muscle, and I have more of that than you do. You can't move the refrigerator and stove by yourself to clean behind then. You'll need me there to help you pull them out from the wall and to put them back. We can stop at the hardware store after we eat and pick up the supplies I think we need."

He certainly does have muscle, she thought, looking at his broad chest and thick arms while he talked. Not wanting him to catch her staring, she looked at his handsome face and said, "You're a busy man and I realize you have your own work to do, but you're right about all you said. Yes, I will appreciate your help, but you have to promise to let me help you in your garden to pay you back."

"You don't have to pay me back, but I would love your help in the garden, sort of a woman's point of view."

"We have a bargain," said Adrian.

After eating breakfast and visiting with Rita and some customers they knew, they went to the hardware store and then back to Adrian's house.

"I'll help you pull the appliances out from the wall before I get started. I'm going to turn the power off, but we need to unplug them to be on the safe side."

"Ok, sounds like a plan to me she replied."

He picked up his tool kit and the supplies from the hardware store.

"If you need help before I'm done, just holler."

"Oki doki," she said, and flashed him a big smile.

He returned her smile with one of his own and they stood looking into each other's eyes longer then necessary.

"Ah…. I'm going now," he stammered, then turned and walked out of the kitchen. Damn! What a dumb thing to say. I'm acting like a schoolboy.

Several hours later he returned to the kitchen. It was almost 3 PM.

"We've been working our tails off," said Adrian, "but the kitchen is finished, At last! How did the electrical work go."

"Everything has been replaced that needed to be. I still have the kitchen to go, but other than that the electrical is finished. Let me help you put back the appliances and plug them in so the refrigerator will get cold for those groceries you have to buy today."

"Speaking of food, I don't know about you, but I'm famished. All I can offer you is a cup of coffee and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I also have bananas. How about peanut butter and banana sandwiches on toast without, the jelly?"

"Sounds good to me," he replied. "I'll tighten these few cupboard door hinges while you do that and replace those light sockets and face plates when we're finished."

When they sat down at the kitchen table to eat and drink their coffee, he took a few bites of his sandwich and said, "I've never had a peanut butter and banana sandwich like this before. This is delicious! When we go to the grocery store, I'll pick some of this up to take home with me." They both chuckled.

"Bob, you've been so helpful today. Taking me to breakfast then helping me with the house. You don't need to go grocery shopping with me, I can do that myself."

"You will be buying a lot of groceries today to stock up, right?"

She nodded her head yes. "

I've seen you rubbing the back of your neck and sore arm muscles. You'll need help lugging all the bags in the house and I'd like to do that for you, but you're on your own putting them away!"

They chuckled again and she agreed.

"Adrian, do you mind if I ask some personal questions?"

"Not at all, go ahead, ask away."

"Are you going to fix this house up to live here just for the summer?"

"Well it needed a good cleaning just to live here for the summer. I haven't decided if I'm going back to Europe or not. A lot depends on how things work out with my job."

"That was my next question, what kind of work do you do?"

"I have a Master's Degree in fashion design and went to Europe to become the worlds most famous designer," then giggled, but not in a funny way. "I wound up being a seamstress to several of the top designers while doing my apprenticeship. I observed what it meant to be a top fashion designer; the rat race, the pressure, making sure the right fabric was delivered on time to the right place, scheduling shows, dealing with the press, dealing with temperamental models, not to mention dealing with private clients.

The designers have people, of course, whose job it is to coordinate all those things, but ultimately it is up to him to make sure everything is handled as it should be. I decided that wasn't for me. I would rather be a seamstress and work for myself, designing my own line of clothes on a much smaller basis. I had the plan, but not the money, so when you offered to buy the land at the price you offered, it gave me the incentive I needed to put my plan into action.

I saved every penny I could for the next year and decided I had enough money to return home and try to set up my own dress and fabric shop. I know Peaceful is small, but I think I can make a go of it by offering seamstress services, sewing and quilting classes. That's what this summer is for. I've taken a leave of absence from my job so I'll have something to go back to if this doesn't get off the ground. I'm going to talk to Gordon at the real estate office about renting a small shop in town, if there is one that is."

"It sounds like you've thought this through. It isn't easy setting up a business. There's buying inventory, advertising, location, location, etc. etc, and it takes a while to make a profit, but I'm sure you know these things."

"Yes, I've done my research. Now it's your turn. How do you earn your living?"

"I have my own business building oil rigs with headquarters in Texas. My business manager, Jeff and I, keep in touch daily via telephone and the Internet. I fly to Cooperate Headquarters every few months and I'm gone for a few days. My dad left me the company when he died and it has grown by leaps and bounds over the last ten years. I've been very fortunate and have invested my money well. That has allowed me to live my dream here in Peaceful."

"What brought you to a little place like Peaceful?"

He told her about his wife's death and all that happened afterwards.

Adrian reached across the table and put her hand on his.

"I'm so sorry Bob, I had no idea and certainly didn't mean to pry."

"Thank you, Adrian. I've had a few years to adjust and I'm doing okay. My life is in Peaceful now and I'm happy."

The sudden knock on the door startled them. Adrian got up from the table to see who it was.

"Gary! My gosh this is a surprise!"

A tall, well built man burst through the door, pulled Adrian into his arms, lifted her feet off the floor and twirled her round the room, both of them laughing.

Bob didn't like it. He had an uneasy feeling watching the man hold Adrian in his arms. I'm jealous! I've only known her for a few days and I'm jealous!

Gary put her down and held her at arm's length, saying, "You're more beautiful now than you were before you left Peaceful! I heard you were in town and living here at your dad's place. I sure was sorry to hear of his passing. A lot of people turned out for his funeral, and everyone had nice things to say about your dad."

"Thank you, Gary. Please come in and let me introduce you to my neighbor. Gary this is Bob Ellis, who lives in that beautiful place next door, and Bob, this is my old high school sweetheart, Gary Beal."

"Hey, watch that 'old' stuff!" he said, as he shook hands with Bob. "Nice to meet you, Bob, I've watched your place go up and admire the work you've done. It's beautiful."