All Comments on 'A Tuesday Morning in West Texas'

by carvohi

Sort by:
  • 83 Comments
A_BierceA_Biercealmost 3 years ago

Sounds like you were there. Wish Hollywood still made westerns with good stories, like this one. Thank you.

swedishreader1swedishreader1almost 3 years ago

That was a complete waste of time.

1* for the lack of effort.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

First let me say that I'm flat out AMAZED that Carvohi wrote a one page story. Didn't think you could do that given your natural propensity to be long winded. Therefore I'm equally amazed that I'm going to complain about this being too short. There sure was a lot more that could have been said. Nice to see that you're still posting.

CHUCK2468CHUCK2468almost 3 years ago

Was really enjoying this then it just ended. Really? Could have been really good but it was way to short. Potentially a 5* but as it was 1 page and lacked depth you got a 3*. Shame, as this had alot of potential.

ForensicFossilForensicFossilalmost 3 years ago

I liked it. Not really much of a story, but it obviously wasn't intended to be.

saxman1947saxman1947almost 3 years ago

I like the story a lot. It was even better the first time, two years ago.

A Tuesday Morning, Fort Stockton, 1881, by the same author.

KalimaxosKalimaxosalmost 3 years ago
Ride them cowgirl

The wife is from El Paso. Part Mexican, part Apache, and ALL TEXAN.

Loved the story.

5 stars

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyalmost 3 years ago

Nice little story!

5

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Nice, sweet, lovely. LOVE. slap hapy papy#9

BaggyUKBaggyUKalmost 3 years ago

Nice little tale of a moment in time, a lot said in a few words. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Same as "A Tuesday Morning, Fort Stockton, 1881". Did you forget you'd already posted it?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I have read this story before..either by u or somene else...but definTely its not a new story!

johntcookseyjohntcookseyalmost 3 years ago

Enticing vignette. Feels like the prologue for a long complex plot. Surprising number of well rendered characters for such a short piece. Period and place reminds me of Kathleen Kent’s the Outcasts and the Comanche/Kiowa abductions of Paulette Jiles’ ‘News of the World’. And, of course, McCarthy’s ‘Blood Meridian’. What a wild facet of American history! Thank you. Always a pleasure.

WargamerWargameralmost 3 years ago

Short but sweet, a nice western, good for a change in pace.

4/5

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 3 years ago

Needed more. Raised the concern about the "better" women coming in; never happened. The guy who looked like a killer, expected a confrontation; never happened.

\

Yes, this is a copy of "A Tuesday Morning, Fort Stockton, 1881."

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcalmost 3 years ago

Enjoyed the short story a lot - Could have fit in "Romance" just as easily. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I can't understand why you reposted this. It's a depressing tale of abused women leading a miserable existence in a nasty, hard environment. So he saved one whore but was responsible for another. Big deal.

kirei8kirei8almost 3 years ago
Very nice.

Different but good. A nice easy read for a change.

BSreaderBSreaderalmost 3 years ago
I liked it

it was a nice change interesting story line.

AbctoyAbctoyalmost 3 years ago

What a good read. Love the setting in the old west giving the story a breath of fresh air. Well done 5*

rnebularrnebularalmost 3 years ago

Oops, double posting... Still a great little piece though.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Damn! Now I’m worried. One of my favourite authors is starting to forget he posted a story two years earlier. This can’t be good.

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper6989almost 3 years ago

A great short read, one the offers much more.

BehindbluisBehindbluisalmost 3 years ago

I told you it was a good one!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Not much has changed in the human species, back then people had different prejudices. This poor women was shunned and ostracized because she was kidnapped and abused by Indians at the time. Yet very little has changed since then our politics and treatment of those who do not look like us and different religious groups. Still to this day persecution exists. Sad to say.

BentNotBrokenBentNotBrokenalmost 3 years ago

Very well developed and delivered. I could have stayed immersed in their life story for many more chapters. Well done! Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

We’ll written! One man’s castoff is another’s treasure.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

A short and sweet 4. Under similar stories, "Cheaters In The West" by StangStar06 should be included. Both deal with prejudice in the old West. And both are heartwarming.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I really enjoyed this story. I could easily visualize everything that took place. Thank you for posting.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Carvohi getting senile. Reposting old stories that are already on his author page.

johnadpjohnadpalmost 3 years ago

Wonderful story 5 stars!

Amazing how so many instinctively are afraid of and prejudiced against “others.” “Others”changes somewhat over time (blacks, Jews, and homosexuals before and now it’s Muslims, Hispanics and trans), but it seems the small uneducated minds unable to comprehend beyond their limited experience always need “others’ to hate on.

PeelercrabPeelercrabalmost 3 years ago

Being a whore in the cowboy days wold have been a bad job. The hygiene of female anatomy lacked one thing. Even the women without multiple partners had real problems. With things like mercury to heal infections you didn't have a chance. And NO operations for cancer. Look at the women you know today who have had hysterectomies. Many would now be dead back in the day.

Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostraalmost 3 years ago

Top-notch writing!

.

I grew up in the Trans Pecos, the Big Bend and all around the Permian Basin. People drive through that country and never know that off the road their is history in abundance, going back thousands of years in some cases. The old timers who came to west Texas in the 1890s said the prairie grasses were as high as the horse's belly, but sadly a hundred years of over grazing has damaged the land.

.

Your story veritably drips with fascinating insights into lives, partial lives, drama and intrigue. Like a fan dancer, you have teased, enticed and leave us wanting more. However, unlike the majority of writers on this board, your short piece was not a pointless vignette, a flash-less flash story; no, it was an intriguing puzzle piece which is also a complete image, comporting both theme and plot. And, your historical accuracy is right on the money; yes, you elicited memories of and nostalgia for, this vast land, left far behind in years, but never far behind in my consciousness. Thank you.

.

Finally, you artfully worked in an amazing and rich back story without the "normal" Literotica practice of expending 4K-5K words and derailing the story altogether.

.

In short... this is a masterpiece in the same way a small, perfectly executed, sacred icon is a masterpiece. 5-stars seems hardly adequate, but it's an easy vote to give.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsalmost 3 years ago

Delightful. 5***** There is a lot of character development in that story and a very real sense of place. Wonderfully done.

Ironman52Ironman52almost 3 years ago

Nice start for a Novella? 5* hooked

jneric2691jneric2691almost 3 years ago

The only nit I can pick is that he was driving a wagon and wearing spurs. But still, when you think about spurs you always mentally hear the "chink, chink, chink. Loved the story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

'all for a handful of pelts'.

Prairie dogs, I reckon.

6* for the story minus 1* for the skimpy pelts.

LWlurker

iameaseliameaselalmost 3 years ago

Well done!

I love how it highlights how the smallest minds cause the biggest troubles in our world.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHERE IS THE REST OF THE STORY. I was completely drawn into the characters and had created an image of Lori who, in my mind's eye looked like the women in Hell on Wheels, who had been captured by the Comanche and had lines tattooed on her chin. Her character was based on an actual person, of course. I was hoping for 8-10 pages. Well, maybe a part 2???

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

This is a fine short story; thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Pretty good. Lot said. Some unsaid. I liked it.

4 Stars.

studebakerhawkstudebakerhawkalmost 3 years ago

Felt like chapter 1 of something longer.

26thNC26thNCalmost 3 years ago

Still need your usual long story. This one is so good that it deserves it.

OlgreyfoxOlgreyfoxalmost 3 years ago

Thank you for such a wonderful story. Very very nice.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

A white guy marries a white woman, who runs off with a white man, and the jilted husband marries another white woman. Apparently both women were beautiful while they were married to the guy. How woke can a man get? What a privilege.

Then we have some sort of virtue signalling, from the white guy who rescued a beautiful white woman. And what did this beautiful white woman suffer from the predominantly white community, we are left to assume? They thought poorly of her, damaged goods. Oh My God, how could they? And what did it do to her self esteem? Apparently not much, since she obviously realizes that to go in public uncovered is showing off her beauty, her charm, her sexual appeal. I think she is contending with the assumed prejudice rather well, don't you?

And to make is all circle back to the dripping self righteousness, who is the group of people who really did physically and violently abuse this white woman? Native Americans, two different tribes. They abducted her, raped her, enslaved her, then sold her off like cattle. I don't remember anywhere in this story any "white" people acting like that. Oops!

Yeah, it really sucks to be a minority in the old west, right up to today. Ain't no minority doctors or lawyers, no minority business leaders, celebrities, entertainers, political leaders, millionaires, academics, artists, musicians, writers. Nuttin'. Couldn't even get elected dog catcher, much less President Of The United States. I get it: Black lies matter.

Thanks for the effort.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 3 years ago

@Anonymous, he wasn't responsible for the other whore. She left him for someone "better," then found out the grass wasn't greener on the other side. The only one responsible for her was herself.

Huedogg2Huedogg2almost 3 years ago

at least his ex-wife was good at what she does and maybe always did.........be a whore!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Very well written. Not to be overly critical but some on the stories posted on Literotica are very poorly written. This story had an artistic writing aspect that made it much better than average.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Astoundingly great story. carvohi delivers the goods in spades. Scintillating dialogue.

Thanks for a really good one, carvohi.

.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

WOW lovely lovely LOVELY. thank you

gordo12gordo12almost 3 years ago

I'm a perpetual sucker for westerns. I just wish it would have been longer. The "killer" at the bar wasn't explained, and I had expected some confrontation. Great story. 5*

Driven2ReadDriven2Readalmost 3 years ago

5* Better story in one page than most on this site can write in 5 pages... more complete, better written and most of all actually readable. I always am thrilled when I see a Carvohi story. I know it will be good.

Regguy69Regguy69almost 3 years ago

It’s like Mick sang about life “… sometimes you get just what you need.” He’s far better off with Lori.

johntcookseyjohntcookseyalmost 3 years ago

By the way, I’m glad you reposted. Somehow I missed the previous posting.

carvohicarvohialmost 3 years agoAuthor

carvohi

Just above me is an anonymous commenter. They didn't leave an artificial name or anything, just a long commentary about "white guy" marrying "white girl" and on and on. I thought about deleting it, but changed my mind.

However!

This is a story, a fiction story set in the Old West. The stories we read regarding the "Old West" are what constitutes the "American Fairy Tale". I'd prefer it if people would kindly leave their politics and their biases out of any of their comments.

On the Other Hand!

Legio Patria Nostra's comment above is a beautiful reminder to us of what we've lost.

carvohi

JSipesJSipesalmost 3 years ago

I loved your story. I gave it five stars. I would love to read another chapter. I could see in my mind a western gentleman who helped settle the untamed frontier. I don’t think the long winded anonymous critic read the same story I read. I think he was too embarrassed to use his real name because he babbled like an idiot. The only thing I got out of his comment is he must be consumed with racial hatred. This is not the place for political comments.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 3 years ago

Decent

A good tale from the past. No love in the ex-wife. Just a whore putting in time. A good man who challenged the norm by having a native american for his woman and saved her from a life of druggery. I guess there were good men back them and our hero proved in. A day in the life, huh?

Five Stars

Crusader235Crusader235almost 3 years ago
Good start

Good start. Now how about the rest of the story. Four stars.

fritz51fritz51almost 3 years ago

Different. Good story, but I agree there's more to be told. Please, continue.

juanviejojuanviejoalmost 3 years ago

Good while it lasted...Cinco Estrellas!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

That was the preview, right? Can't wait to see the feature!

Lawrie1941Lawrie1941almost 3 years ago

Good story well written but too short, plenty of room to expand in the future. Love your work.m

WargamerWargameralmost 3 years ago

Read it again, upgrading it to 5/5, it is just too good. I downgraded it because l thought it was too short and needed more to it. But on reflection l was wrong, it is your story and if u feel that it is enough, then it is.

Scores now 5/5

maninconnmaninconnalmost 3 years ago
What happens on Wednesday morning in West Texas?

Just curious!

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitalmost 3 years ago

It’s good. I’d have liked him to warn Nancy to stay away from his kids, but that’s minor. At least he didn’t lie to his kids (telling them she’s dead). But they’re old enough to know that their mother didn’t prioritize her kids.

SleeperyJimSleeperyJimover 2 years ago

At first, the story seemed just bare bones, but the moment I finished and it started to settle in my mind, those bones began to flesh out with muscle, tendon and skin. It's not a story for a single read. There are hints and asides that lead the reader into fascinating conjecture about what was, what is and what might be.

Damn good job, sir 5*

centralsquareguycentralsquareguyover 2 years ago
Best story on Literotica.

Seriously.

juanviejojuanviejoover 2 years ago

Read it again...still Five Stars!

KRD19254KRD19254over 2 years ago

2nd read and still an outstanding elegant simple story with so much depth of frontier life having all its hopes and losses, a L'Amour level saga. Impressive, a true "Master-of-the-Quill".

/

6*, Hooyah, many Salutes...

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

@SleeperyJim is correct. Few words, much depth, like the men of that time and place.

Hiker66BikerHiker66Bikerabout 2 years ago

Great atmosphere and backstory. 5 stars.

BillandKateBillandKateabout 2 years ago

An excellent story. A few words, just the right amount, to tell a big story. Thanks - 5 stars.

SimpleGuySquaredSimpleGuySquaredalmost 2 years ago

A whole lot of reality and emotion packed into a very concise FULL story. A great talent to make this happen and the author has that in spades.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Yes

Driven2ReadDriven2Readalmost 2 years ago

5* quality always shows. First time read, can't believe I missed this one. Absolutely perfect length and superb character .. some authors always seem to find what is needed to bring a smile to your face.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

A lusty story of life and living with what ever you're dealt. LP

Ocker53Ocker53about 1 year ago

Excellent story⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman5 months ago

interesting. guess the "beer" was to rub the 1st wife's nose in his better life without her.

Merlin_the_MagicianMerlin_the_Magician24 days ago

Wasn’t much to that one. A little disappointing.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous