Adventure of Rekka Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That could work, if we don't raise their suspicions. We always open the gate as soon as we see them, getting them within the walls was the priority. The fact our Watch Stones are only being used as lanterns now could also give us away, turning them back on would be even worse. We'll have to be careful, it would not be unthinkable for them to believe the quarry had been taken. They would likely send fast riders to report their misgivings, and approach with extreme caution. All they would have to do is scout from the hill to see things have changed, I'm afraid," Scipio admitted, Dulius nodding in agreement.

Bill could see that, he'd done his own scouting from there. In his own world it would have been unthinkable to build here during wartime, a mortar team would piss themselves with excitement choosing targets.

"Hmm, no, I think it's our best bet. Go ahead and open the gate, it closes so fast you can wait until they're almost under it. All we have to do is have very good excuses for all their suspicions, and welcome them with open arms. We'll send them a very helpful guide," Bill replied, an evil grin spread across his face.

The others traded looks, hoping Bill's skill for underhanded deception and his uncanny luck would hold out. Only Sarah seemed enthusiastic.

"I can't wait to see what you come up with, Bill!" Sarah praised, her eyes shining with villain worship.

-

Lieutenant Lucius was in a fine mood, the Huntstone had not given so much as a twinkle for the last day, and they would soon be within the welcoming walls of Quarry Town. The soldiers and workers in the wagons were singing a jaunty tune, their spirits high. Lucius was very pleased that his troop had been chosen to escort the wagons, it had been too long since they'd enjoyed making this milk run.

The relieving soldiers were happy to learn the post was a comfortable one, giving the same hazard pay as Fort Carcere. No one volunteered for that posting, instead dependable officers and sergeants were forced into it with promised rewards of advancement or their choice of future posts. The other enlisted men were a mix of trouble makers and green recruits in equal measure.

His only regret was the need to return after only one night's rest. The town's tavern was well stocked, a perk of the escort run was an unwritten rule that he and his men would drink for free. He expected half his men would be too hungover to ride come morning, but the returning soldiers were generally happy to take their place. The wagons quickly became uncomfortable and boring.

Distracted by happy thoughts and an unlit Huntstone he was surprised when his sergeant pulled his horse next to him.

"Lieutenant. Rider up ahead. Been waving since he spotted us, coming our way. Looks, well, drunk. He's armed, wearing a helm. I don't like the look of him at all," the man reported.

"Really? Could be a deserter, though he'd certainly be better to avoid us if that were so. Could be he's lost his nerve and wishes to give himself up. Perhaps one of the civilians has lost their wits, heading for home," Lucius mused, trying to make sense of such an odd event. Deserters were rare, leaving was a surefire way to end up in bondage to a demon. Sadly, suicide was generally the option soldiers took when pushed beyond their ability to cope.

"Dunno, sir. If we were in the north I'd assume he was some fool on a joyride. Out here he's a fool of another stripe," the sergeant said. He disliked everything he saw of the man. His finely tuned malingering detector went wild the moment he'd seen him.

"Well, in any case we'll soon find out. He's nearly upon us. Be ready to restrain him, if he tries to escape I'll have to assume he's a deserter. We'll bring him to Quarry Town, they'll certainly know him. Preferably this is some sort of misunderstanding and he'll follow us without trouble. I'll want to confirm his story regardless," Lucius ordered, raising his hand in greeting as the man approached.

If the man was a soldier he was likely the worst example of slovenly dereliction Lucius had ever seen. The sour stench of cheap spirits rolled in like a storm as the man pulled to the side of the road to allow Lucius to come alongside him. He nearly fell from the saddle, Lucius had seen dead men transported by horseback able to ride with more skill and grace. His kit was an eclectic mix of outdated armor, more rust than metal. He had half a polearm tied to his back, actually tied. He was sure the man would require assistance to remove it. The sword at his side was likely locked into its scabbard with rust, the leather grip had long since rotted away leaving bare metal.

"Captain! Good to see you, expected you yesserday, I did," the man slurred, a crooked grin on his face. "Care fer a drink? It'll fortify yer fightin' spirit, and put hair on yer ass."

He offered Lucius a half full bottle of spirit, recognizing it as the cheapest rotgut that could be sold without poisoning men blind. His sergeant surprised him when he rode close, taking the offered bottle. He chose not to reprimand him, the man was not known for negligence, or accepting it in any of the men. Cleaning the mouth of the bottle with a disgusted look, he then tipped the bottle back for a cautious swig. He hastily spat the liquid out, revulsion clear on his face.

"Augh! That's the foulest stuff I've ever tasted," the sergeant said, still coughing out the fumes. He nodded at the lieutenant, handing the bottle back to the man. His suspicious nature needing to confirm the man was the drunk he appeared to be.

"Ain't it though? Keeps the flies away, just don't you make my mistake and try to douse a fire with yer piss, you'll soon find yer cock aflame!" the man japed, nearly falling off his horse laughing at his own joke. With that he swung the bottle up, draining it while the two men watched in horror. Lucius was sure the sergeant nearly vomited, having a clearer idea what the man had just done.

"Phwah! Mother's milk that is!" he cried, carelessly tossing the bottle away from the road.

"Indeed. Care to explain yourself.. soldier? Who are you, and why were you waiting for us out here? Does anyone at Quarry Town know you're here?" Lucius asked, fascinated by the man. He couldn't be more of a drunken fool if he tried. He might believe it was an act had he not managed to finish off a large bottle of cheap liquor in one go. Lucius was sure he'd fall from the horse any moment and messily expire. He waited for the man to explain himself, but it seemed he'd fallen asleep.

"Wha? Where am I? Oh yeah. Captain! Good to see you, expected you yesserday, I did," the man repeated himself as he snapped awake, looking supremely confused. "Damn, you ever feel like you done somethin' twice? Gives me the shivers it does." He shook himself and returned his attention to the lieutenant.

"Name's Dickius, Cor'pril Dickius Captain, sir," he mumbled, his salute nearly knocking his helm from his head. "Ey, who threw that rock?"

He was looking around accusingly, attempting to right his helm only to end up wearing it backwards.

"It's Lieutenant Lucius.. corporal. Once again, why were you waiting for us out here, alone, and clearly unfit for duty," Lucius asked, not quite believing a man like this could survive so far in the dangerous frontier. Perhaps the demons avoided him due to the cloud of eye watering fumes that surrounded him. He would report the incident to his superiors, perhaps this could be of some use to the war effort.

"Sorry, Captain Luscious, sir, didn' mean to call you lieutenant, was jussa mistake, sir," Dickius apologized, bowing in his saddle and would have fallen if the sergeant hadn't caught him and pushed him upright.

"Watch yerself there, must've been a sinkhole," he said, squinting as he twisted in the saddle.

The sergeant rolled his eyes. Lucius decided he wouldn't bother to correct the man further, despite the snickers coming from the wagon behind them.

"Permission to ride ahead, lieutenant, sir? I'd rather not run into any surprises while you deal with this.. man," he requested. He was serious about scouting ahead, but very happy it would mean leaving the drunken fool behind.

"Very well, stay within earshot, the Huntstone is dark, but we both know how fast the monsters can move. Return at the first sign of trouble," Lucius replied, waving the man on. He returned his attention to the drunk, wondering if he should just have him hogtied and lashed to his horse until they reached the quarry. He'd need to be gagged as well, though he pitied any who'd have to get so close to the man's mouth.

"Nah, Captain. Ain't none of them beasties round here. I's chased em all off, y'see," Dickius replied, placing a confident hand on his shoddy sword.

"Indeed, you must be quite the champion for the garrison," Lucius replied, beginning to enjoy himself. The man was so outrageous it was difficult to take their circumstances seriously. He was grateful the man was only his responsibility for the remaining distance to the town. Whoever was normally in charge of him very likely could have sent him in the hopes he would not come back. They would surely be disappointed to see he'd safely intercepted them and returned unscathed.

"Corporal Dickius, were you given this dangerous duty for your distinctive service?" he asked, managing not to smile.

"Aye sir! Major Dulius did send me special, he were worried you'd not make it through the beasties, and he knows how they's affeared of me, y'see," Dickius explained, sitting straighter in the saddle, his chin raised with pride. He quickly had to grab for the saddle horn to keep himself from falling.

"Well, we certainly appreciate your protection, it's relieving to know we'll not be bothered by the demons while you escort us the rest of the way," he said, turning to grin at the soldiers who'd poked their heads out around the driver to enjoy the show.

"No problem, none at all Captain. Jus doin my duty Captain sir," Dickius replied, his tone indicating that he deserved medals and accolades for his outstanding service, perhaps even a parade.

Lucius spent the remaining miles learning of the many great deeds Corporal Dickius had performed in his service at Quarry Town. Lucius was unsurprised to learn the man had arrived with the previous relief force, picked up at the side of the road where he'd found himself recovering from another bender. Dickius had described it as volunteering. He was sure the garrison was doing their damnedest to get rid of the man without resorting to actual murder. Lucius would generously offer to bring him back with him, as long as he was restrained from drinking tonight and tied to the back of one of the wagons.

"Looky there, lieutenant who'sit is comin' back," Dickius reported, pointing ahead.

Lucius was concerned the sergeant was returning at such speed. He knew for fact Quarry Town was just around the bend, they were minutes away. He hoped they were not riding into a sacked ruin.

"Sergeant, report," he ordered as the man worked his horse alongside him.

"Somethings up, sir. One of the Watch Stones is down, and they're doing something with the other. It looks normal otherwise. The walls are manned, I recognized Plinius and he seems relaxed enough. Asleep as usual," the sergeant reported. "Sorry sir, I can't explain it, something feels off. No Watch Stones would be very convenient if some of the more clever demons have taken the fort."

"Agreed, let's proceed with caution. There's likely an explanation for the stones, but be ready all the same. Select some men to be ready to return and report with all haste," Lucius ordered, reaching for the Huntstone but was distracted by Dickius's sudden uproarius laughter.

"Ain't no problem, captain, sir. Car.. Carshi.. The prison been having some problems down south, the beasties been hoppin' the walls an' stealin' them boys away, so they packed up one of them stones an' sent it to em," he helpfully explained. "I tolds em I could jus' head down there an' show em what fer, but Major was affeared the town'd be swamped with beasties if I wasn't there to see em off."

"I see, some of that made sense," Lucius said, looking at the sergeant, who nodded slowly.

"Doesn't explain them shutting the other one down. Not sure what they're doing with it," the sergeant put forward, his preternatural sense for slacking and malingering had broken into hysterics as he came upon the walls.

"Course, course, that were my idea, y'see? Major Dulius was real impressed, y'see? I told em that the stone we had left, see, it'd make more sense if it was in the middle of the gates, right? Why, one of them beasties would have all the time in the world to sneak up where the missin' one was, right? Not that they would a'course. Not with me there. Still, I figgered it'd settle their nerves all the same," the drunk explained, clearly taking whatever credit he could stuff into his pockets and sneak out the back with.

Despite himself the sergeant began nodding, Watch Stones were always placed in a central position, or evenly spaced with two or more. Many soldiers had gained a feel for the pulses, being able to accurately guess the distance of the monster setting them off. It would be detrimental if the stone was placed off center.

"Aye, I can see it. Just.. the timing is suspicious," the sergeant said, shrugging at Lucius.

"I agree. Still, I've never heard of the demon's attempting such a complex ruse. It would take an overwhelming force to capture the town, certainly. Any force of that size this far from the front would already be attacking the towns to the north, there aren't enough men stationed here. It is well known to be the only thing that drives them. Were they doing that we would not even be here," Lucius declared, helpfully reasoning himself to his doom.

"Aye Cap.. Lieutenant," the sergeant replied, disgusted with himself. Clearly the drunk was infecting him with his idiocy. The lieutenant was kind enough to pretend not to notice. The soldiers gawking from the wagon had broken into gales of laughter. They retreated to safety when he turned his glare onto them.

As they came into view of the walls Lucius relaxed. Aside from the workers moving the Watch Stone everything was perfectly in order. The sergeant meant well but perhaps he was in need of a short leave, he would hate to have the man burn himself out from stress. Lucius would sort the paperwork out when they returned, hoping it would do the man good. He had come to depend on him, and until now his judgement had never erred.

"Major! Major Dulius! Mission accom.. accomp.. I did it!" Dickius suddenly cried, waving his hand in the air. He kicked his horse into a gallop, bouncing in the saddle gracelessly. Lucius was a little concerned the man would break his neck, but clearly he was blessed by unusual luck. He'd managed to find safety with the relief force against all odds, after all.

Several soldiers on the wall noticed the man approaching, shouts of anger and dismay carrying to Lucius's ears bringing a wry smile to his lips. They began pelting the man with half eaten rations, demanding he leave. Dulius appeared, his rage incandescent. Turning to the courtyard he barked an order, and the gate slammed shut before Dickius could ride in to claim his glory.

The soldiers in the wagon were beside themselves with hilarity, finding it difficult to breathe between gasps of laughter as the ones who could see out the front reported the drunkards actions. The driver was having trouble keeping the wagon straight, the soldiers were rocking the wagon with their almost painful laughing fits. There were questioning shouts from the wagons carrying the workmen, and a few of the mounted escorts eagerly dropped back to share.

"C'mon Major! Don't be like that! I only done as you asked," Dickius cried, staring up at Captain Dulius as the wagons lined up behind him, in no hurry to enter before the show ended.

"How dare you return, you scoundrel! It's inconceivable! You can only be God's punishment for my sins, though I know not what I've done to deserve you. No matter! Off with you, if you sneak your way back into my garrison I'll hang you, and this time I mean it you drunken reprobate!" Dulius shouted down at the poor man, pounding his fists on the wall.

"What's got into you, major, sir? I only been doin' my duty. I'm sorry about the fire, but that rat lady beastie was surely going to cut our throats as we slept, major!" Dickius wailed, his horse dancing in circles as he pulled the reins in his distress.

"You fool! You damned criminal fool! It was a rat! Just a rat! You burned down half the tavern you menace! Don't think I don't know! You stole a bottle of swill while the fire was fought! Curse you, you've stolen my peace of mind as well! You were never supposed to return, I thought I was finally rid of you! You demon!" Dulius was nearly frothing at the mouth.

"Don't worry, major! I'm safe and sound, jus' as you see. You can open the gate now, these men behind me isn't no beasties, I checked em over real good like, y'see. If'n you felt like rewardin' me I wouldn't say no to a drink in the tavern with ya, I got more tips for proper officerin to share, nothin' to stop us from drinkin' all night, hey?" Dickius replied with hopeful optimism.

Dulius closed his eyes for a moment, breathing deeply. When he opened them he looked directly at Lucius.

"Lieutenant, if you'd assist me by killing this man I would be eternally grateful. He's poison, pure poison. I'll raise the gate when I'm sure he's dead," Dulius begged, returning his glare to Dickius, who had nodded along with a smile, not listening at all.

Lucius managed to pull himself together, waving his hand back at the hysterical soldiers in a vain attempt to quiet them before yelling back to Dulius.

"Come now, Captain. Surely you don't expect me to murder this man. It would wound my soul. Don't worry, I plan to tie him to a wagon and bring him back with us, he'll be out of your hair soon enough. If you would open the gates we'll get this sorted out and soon you'll be rid of your problem," Lucius said, unable to keep the mocking smile from his face.

Strangely, Dulius ignored him to look down at Dickius, giving him a sharp nod. The man straightened in the saddle, no longer slumped and weaving side to side. He turned the horse, his posture, while still amateurish, was a far cry from his previous drunken leanings. Trotting over to the now confused lieutenant, Dickius appeared to have sobered with lightning speed. The sergeant cursed, placing his hand on the hilt of his sword, wishing he had listened to his instincts. Clearly things were not what they seemed.

"Sorry Lieutenant Lucius, looks like they're not going to let us in. Could you hold this for me, please?" Dickius spoke with clarity. He offered Lucius an odd baton of some sort, painted with different stripes of color. Lucius accepted it, unsure and deeply unsettled at the man's change.

"Hold it higher, please. Just like that. What's your favorite color, Lieutenant?" Dickius asked, relaxed and smiling comfortingly.

"What? I don't.. well, blue I sup-" Lucius replied, cutting off as the baton was ripped from his grasp. His head whipped around to see where it flew, only feet away and pinned to the ground by an arrow. It was dead center in the blue, the arrow's shaft just inside the lines of the very thin stripe.

"They're very good, aren't they lieutenant? The centaurs, I mean," Dickius spoke softly.

Lucius shared a look of horror with his sergeant, then turning their gazes upward. The horse women were leaning out farther than a man would be capable off, aiming down at them with steady strength. Their forelegs were planted firmly between the merlons, the quadrupeds able to hold themselves with a stillness bipeds could only dream of. Preparing himself, Lucius breathed in to shout his final order.

1...34567...11