After the Second Fall Pt. 02.3

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I know," replied Cassidy, trying again to diffuse what had suddenly become a tense situation. "We are going to change how things are done, but it hasn't happened yet, and our Adams won't evolve overnight."

Lilith took a deep breath to get her emotions back in check. "You may not want my advice, but the next time you and Stash get together, talk with him. See if there's more to him than a knuckle dragging caveman. Maybe you have more in common with him than you think."

"Is this about Pip?"

Lilith rose to her feet, exasperation written on her face. "It's more about John than any of our Adams in particular. He pointed out how flawed my thinking was, and now I see those same biases everywhere I look, and in almost every conversation I have.

"I disagree with something you said earlier, Cassidy: I don't believe the end ever justifies the means if it requires us to set aside our personal values. 'What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?'"

Cassidy sat back, stunned to have verse quoted at her, just as if she had been slapped.

"One more thing: Stash is next up, so you might want to have that conversation sooner than later," Lilith stated with finality, and without another look, stepped out the door.

Chapter 18

"Hi, Cassidy. Do you mind if I join you?"

The Meister shook her head so Lilith sat down next to the bigger woman, doing her best to ignore the light mist permeating everything.

There weren't usually benches in the training arena, but Cassidy had been spending a lot of time watching Stash practice, so Lilith had thought it would be a nice gesture; the Meister still hadn't spoken to her since their argument.

"They're like kids," Cassidy stated flatly. "I never thought of them that way until after we talked. Now I come out here most days, and watching them, it's so obvious." Cassidy turned to the smaller woman on her right, red hair plastered against her face. "We did this, all of us: stunted them emotionally, developmentally, in favor of some grander goal. Pip might have a chance, but Stash will never be what he could have been outside the Arena. We've accomplished so much, you and I and others, and now it feels somewhat hollow."

Lilith reached up and took the bigger woman's hand in her own as they watched Stash try to hit Pip, who was bouncing and bobbing around in the sand.

"I don't like what I said to you, and what my words say about me. I would like to do better, be part of the changes you're making, but I'm not sure how."

Lilith looked up, smiling reassuringly. "Teaching the youngsters instead of just training is a start, but there's more. We need to change the culture here, but it will take time for people to see Adams as anything other than tools."

In the sand, Stash dove, trying to catch the smaller Adam by surprise, but caught only air. Smiling, Pip reached down and helped Stash back to his feet.

"You have something in mind already, don't you?" asked Cassidy, her eyes still following the Adams.

"I do, but we need to move slowly: I don't want to shake things up too badly."

"Seriously? All you've done since you took over was question everything I've held to be true."

"Do you want to hear my idea or not?"

Cassidy took a deep breath. "I apologize, again. Yes, I would like to hear what you have in mind."

Nodding, Lilith said, "I want to starting bringing the folks in that Northern settlement back to the Complex: the washouts and the hybrids and the people they live with -- some of them anyway."

"That's more... drastic than I expected. You think it's a good idea?"

"I don't know for certain," Lilith replied, "but I suspect they don't differentiate between people like we do. I'm going to visit soon, and see for myself what it's like, then I'll know for sure."

Stash was starting to breathe heavily, and he still hadn't even touched Pip, which made his being stronger irrelevant. The only other advantage Stash still owned was a longer reach, especially in his legs. Maybe kicks or sweeps would work.

There was a brief flurry, after which Pip put his hand on Stash's chest, then planted the bigger Adam in the sand.

"You're going alone?"

Lilith shook her head. "I'm taking Rachel with me, because I think her insight will be helpful. We'll take a couple Adams as well, just in case."

"You still want me to come?"

Lilith nodded.

Cassidy was silent for several beats. "When are you going?"

"Tomorrow morning. I wanted to give you time to clear your schedule."

Cassidy harumphed, but there was no question that she would go. "Get me the details," she said as the two Adams walked past on their way to clean up. Stash's entire torso seemed to be red from being smacked repeatedly, and yet they were talking casually like they had just played a friendly game of Chess.

"I'm worried about him, Lilith. Pip makes him seem so slow."

The drive itself was almost two bells, since roads to this part of Rieckenburg's holdings were not well maintained and the transport had to go slowly, lest they bend a rim or puncture a tire. Rattling and bumping along, the three women were riding in the back while Stash rode shotgun next to a retired Adam named Crush that had never made it to the Arena, except as a driver.

Lilith was still frustrated that Stash was acting as their bodyguard six days before the upcoming match, but he had been adamant, even implying he might not be ready to fight if he was left behind. Cassidy had remained neutral through the impromptu negotiation, but now, bumping along in the back of the transport, her mouth kept turning up at the corners as her mind returned repeatedly to him.

Even so, there was still an awkwardness between Cassidy and Lilith, compounded by the Meister's lack of familiarity with Rachel. The mood changed abruptly when Lilith asked Cassidy to tell her a story from John's childhood.

The first tale was of a young teen that had inadvertently given food poisoning to more than a hundred people, including himself, by adding expired milk to a cream sauce while trying to help in the kitchen. It was the last in a series of ill-fated episodes where pubescent John, hoping to be the next great chef, had decided that his way was best. Not only had the incident resulted in a lifetime ban from the kitchen, it had set young John on the path toward being a handler, where the same stubbornness eventually turned out to be an asset.

Next came the story of his first crush, a pretty redheaded girl five years older than John's nine years. Since the very same redhead was the one telling the story, Lilith and Rachel were soon laughing at John's failed attempts to impress the object of his affection.

Then came a description of John finishing his schooling with top marks in History and Rhetoric, and almost-but-not-quite failing grades in everything else. "He did just enough to pass the subjects he didn't care about," Cassidy explained.

More followed, and as the transport finally shuddered to a stop and the engine cut off, all three women were smiling, and Lilith felt like she understood her lost love a little better. More importantly, at least for the moment, the hesitancy between the three women was gone.

As the rear doors opened outward courtesy of Stash, the women found themselves looking out at several dozen faces. Lilith and Cassidy shared a look, then put on their best political smiles and exited the vehicle with Rachel immediately behind.

Standing at the front of the reception party was an elderly man with his long gray hair pulled back, exposing an angular face adorned with a well groomed beard of the same color. The man was very tall compared to most of the city's inhabitants, but was still a head shorter than Cassidy, meaning one of his grandfathers had probably been an Adam; or maybe his family was just exceptionally tall. Lilith shook her head slightly, trying to let go of her preconceived ideas.

"Good morning, Meister, welcome to the Vale," he said to Cassidy, his voice raspy and confident, but not quite friendly. "My name is Roland, and I speak for the inhabitants."

"A pleasure to meet you, Roland. These are my colleagues, Directors Collins and Frazier, as well as our escorts for the day, Stash and Crush. Are you responsible here?"

"Not as such," said the man. "We don't have a formal governing council, just representatives from each of the families. Even so, I can provide answers as well as anyone here."

"Excellent," Cassidy replied, "but I think it's Director Collins that has most of the questions."

Lilith stepped forward. "Did my office adequately explain why we wanted to visit?"

"We have a general understanding, but perhaps it would be best if you could tell us yourself," the Speaker responded neutrally.

"Of course," Lilith replied at once, not put off by the cool reply. "To state it plainly, since assuming the role of Executive Director, I have been working with the Meister to implement improvements within the Complex. There is a lot to be done, including what I see as necessary change in how our Adams are raised, trained, and treated in general. My expectation is that we can learn from what you've done here so that we progress faster and more effectively."

Lilith's statement was more direct than the man had anticipated, and it left him silent for several beats while he reevaluated the small woman with the fierce gaze. Eventually, he nodded. "Thank you for the explanation, Director. If it is acceptable, we could start with a tour?"

Relaxing her expression, Lilith replied earnestly, "That would be excellent." The Speaker nodded and motioned to three young adults that were standing nearby.

Two women and a man quickly presented themselves. Like most of the others present, they were dressed in loose trousers that ended mid-calf and sleeveless tunics belted around their waists, leaving arms and sides bare. The women's hair tended toward short, practical cuts, rarely past shoulder length, while the men's age seemed to dictate the length of their hair; Roland's was longer than the rest.

"Here are Bart, Esther, and Sheena," the Speaker said, introducing the newcomers. "They're siblings, and directly related to the first Adam to settle here."

The resemblance to the Speaker was quite evident in all three, especially their shared height. "Your grandchildren?" Rachel guessed, speaking for the first time, which the man confirmed with a slight tilt of his head before continuing.

"The Vale is quite large, and even in your vehicle it will take most of the day to see."

"Actually," interjected Lilith casually, "a brief look around will be adequate. I am more interested in talking with some of the people, and some of the retired Adams, than seeing the entire area." Lilith purposely looked away from the Speaker, observing the various building she could see from her current position, rotating slowly to take it in. She could almost feel the man glaring at her, but continued as if she couldn't; by the time she completed her slow spin, Roland's face was neutral, if it had ever been otherwise.

"Very well," he said, his voice devoid of emotion. "While you are gone, I will organize several discussions."

"Thank you, Roland," Lilith said, offering a smile, which was not returned. Instead, the man bowed his head and turned, walking back to the waiting crowd. "He doesn't like me very much," Lilith said, speaking loud enough that their guides would hear.

Sheena, who appeared to be the youngest, looked quite uncomfortable, while the other two shared a knowing look. "Papaw likes to be in charge," the older sister, Esther, said in response. "He especially doesn't like it when women don't do what he tells them."

Lilith resisted the urge to see what Cassidy and Rachel were thinking, instead nodding with an understanding expression.

"Shall we?" Bart offered.

"Please, lead the way," Lilith replied with a smile, which was returned.

The three youngsters were excellent guides, taking turns explaining what the three directors were seeing. The village was laid out around a central courtyard with a fountain in the middle that appeared to be the one luxury that the folks of the Vale allowed themselves. On hot days, children would splash and play in the water, and on pleasant evenings it turned into a kind of communal bath where many would unwind after a day working the fields. Everything else in the town appeared utilitarian, strongly favoring function over form. The buildings were constructed of sturdy wooden planks over heavy beams, with only simple windows and tin roofs for adornment. In direct contrast, the fields surrounding the village were beautifully laid out with some crops already sprouting in the warm Spring weather. Beyond the Northern fields, so they were told, was a broad marshy area, from which irrigation water was pulled with alcohol powered pumps. By the end of the Summer it would be almost dry, and then slowly refill from an aquifer over the colder Winter months. In response to a question from Cassidy, Bart explained that the peat formed by decaying vegetation helped purify the water naturally, making the water usable, unlike most of the areas around Rieckenburg.

"It's amazing," said Cassidy with genuine admiration, asking one question after another, which allowed Lilith to drop a little behind the rest of the group, with Rachel soon doing the same. Making eye contact with her colleague, Lilith looked meaningfully at the youngest of their guides, then tilted her head to provide unspoken direction; the younger director nodded in response.

Rejoining the main group, Lilith asked about where the produce was sold, which was apparently a hot topic, because Bart had several strong opinions to share, especially about how they should send more produce to their trading partners in the North. As Esther got involved in the discussion, Rachel moved next to Sheena, listening to what was quickly escalating into an argument between the two older siblings. Just as the youngest took a breath to add her own voice, Rachel asked a simple question about a nearby building and the moment passed. The two were soon having their own conversation, slowly dropping even further behind the rest of the group.

Within two bells, the tour was done and Lilith thanked their three guides profusely, shaking hands with each. Roland soon turned up again, leading four men, each of similarly advanced age. After another round of introductions, during which the newcomers were described as family heads, the entire group sat down for a meal. "I thought it would be most expeditious to talk all at once," Roland offered by way of explanation.

The food was hearty, consisting of a potato dish with pork and butter and three different vegetables on top. The animal products were from a neighboring village with which the Vale traded regularly, while the fresh fruit served for dessert came from an orchard that they hadn't seen during the tour. Unlike the food, the conversation was much less satisfying. Responses to the women's questions tended to be evasive or outright misleading, even regarding simple topics that were addressed during the tour.

Even so, when the meal finished, Cassidy smiled brightly and thanked Roland and the others for their hospitality. "We'd like to speak with some of the former Adams now, or really anybody that lived in the Complex at one time," she said sweetly. All three of the directors had noticed immediately upon arrival that there were no Adams or first generation hybrids present when they arrived, nor had they seen any during the tour, either in the village or out in the fields, an oddity given how many supposedly lived in the Vale.

"Unfortunately, they won't be back until after sundown," responded Roland.

Cassidy's smile darkened into something colder, and her eyes narrowed. "In the same way that Director Collins has complete authority within the Complex, I have absolute dominion over Rieckenburg, including the Vale. That makes us the two most important people in the entire city, and yet, you continue to lie to us. Whatever your rationale might be, it's not good enough."

The Speaker stood up to his full, impressive height, scowling at the Meister, who looked down at him, entirely unimpressed.

"Are you threatening the Vale?" he asked, outraged.

"The Vale, no," Cassidy replied.

The man's eyes flashed in anger, and Stash moved, grabbing the smaller man around the shoulders and lifting him into the air like a child. A cry of alarm and outrage went up from the still present crowd, but Stash persisted, and after Crush opened the transport's rear doors, the Speaker was carried across the courtyard and deposited inside. Cassidy nodded her gratitude to both Adams, who had taken up positions on either side of the transport, then turned back to Lilith. "What an asshole. Thoughts?"

Lilith looked to Rachel, who began speaking. "The Adams and their children aren't here anymore. About ten years ago, there was some sort of altercation between a former Adam and the villagers, where they accused him of raping a woman. The situation escalated and the Adam was killed, along with several others that were trying to intervene. Immediately after, all the Adams and their immediate descendants were pulled together and sent to live other places. When new ones arrive now, they're here for a week or two, then move on."

"Do you know where?"

"Sheena didn't say, but I don't think she really understands what is happening. I strongly suspect they're being sold to the villages or towns outside of Rieckenburg."

"What?" Lilith gasped with revulsion.

Rachel nodded, her face serious. "Otherwise, the arguments that Bart was making about trading outside the city don't make sense: prices will better in urban areas where supply is limited. My guess is that the younger residents don't really know what's going on; if they did, I don't think they would have discussed trade so openly."

"Fuck," said Lilith, drawing out the word. "You're right, Rachel, this is definitely something we're going to have to deal with, because in addition to several dozen Rieckenburg citizens that have probably been sold into slavery, we have a local dictator locked in our transport, and a couple hundred villagers ready to come at us with pitchforks. Is there anything else?"

"Yes, but I can take care of it."

Lilith looked to the younger woman and raised an eyebrow, then turned to the Meister. "Cassidy, what do you think?"

Cassidy pressed her lips together and crossed her arms, her brow furrowed. "Well, I'm leaning toward ripping his spine out myself," she replied, "but I don't like summary justice, even if it is within my authority in extreme circumstances."

"I would say this applies," Lilith offered, to which the Meister nodded.

"We might have success with the younger villagers," Rachel suggested.

"Yes, but if we talk with our three tour guides again, the other villagers are going to know they told us things that were meant to be kept secret."

Rachel nodded her acquiescence and the three were quiet for several beats. "The best option I see right now is to bluff and see what happens," Cassidy stated. Turning toward the transport, she yelled loudly, "Stash, I need you here. Crush, if he tries to open that door, kill him." Stash moved quickly to the Meister's side while the other nodded and cracked his knuckles.

Already an imposing figure, with Stash standing next to her, Cassidy was quite frightening, and she intended to use that fact to its full advantage. She pointed to each of the four men they had eaten with, then gestured for them to approach; one shook his head, two ignored her, and the fourth turned and ran into a nearby building.

"It's this simple," Cassidy called out loudly. "Either we start getting some answers or I exercise my authority as Meister, and that starts with the execution of your Speaker."

123456...8