After the Second Fall Pt. 02.3

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You don't scare us," shouted back the first of the family heads, just as a bell started ringing.

"So much for bluffing," Cassidy said angrily. "Ladies, I think it's time we depart. I will send Chief Townes back tomorrow with more men, but for now, we need to get out of here because there are probably others coming. Stash, I don't like the idea of them calling people in when we come back, so I want that bell. Be careful, because who knows what kind of weapons they have." Stash nodded and looked deeply into Cassidy's eyes, then took off at a run, scattering villagers as he moved quickly past."

"Crush," Cassidy called out to the older Adam, "get that trash out of my transport."

The driver smiled and quickly turned to his task, opening the door dramatically but standing aside, which proved to be a good idea as the Speaker attacked with a knife. Crush absorbed a slice on his wrist, then grabbed the man's tunic and pitched him over his shoulder, sending the Speaker tumbling through the dirt. Cassidy and Lilith hurried over to the vehicle as the ringing abruptly stopped. "As soon as Stash is done, get us out of here as fast as you can," Cassidy directed, to which Crush nodded, still smiling, apparently happy for the excitement. "Where's Rachel?"

As if in answer to her question, the youngest director ran up with Sheena in tow.

Lilith gave Rachel an approving nod and the four women climbed into the vehicle. Less than half a hundred beats later, Stash ran up and tossed the bell in with a crash, then raced around to the front of the vehicle, which sped off much faster than it had arrived.

"This is the other issue I mentioned," Rachel said softly, gesturing to the teary eyed young woman whose hand she was holding.

Not surprisingly, none of the women were in the mood to talk. Where Cassidy was livid, Lilith was morose; Sheena, overwhelmed by the sudden sequence of events, dozed lightly against Rachel's shoulder. A half bell into their trip, Cassidy reached her limit and banged loudly on the metal wall separating their seating area from the cab, startling the other three. The transport pulled over and Cassidy let herself out, screaming her anger at the vacant fields through which they had been driving. Lilith watched her friend rage, empathizing with the Meister's frustration at being unable to do more, knowing that the situation would escalate. As Cassidy started to wind down, Lilith was preparing to go to her when Stash acted first, catching up the big redhead in a tight embrace. Despite her poor mood, Lilith smiled and turned back to the transport.

"Girls, I think we should ride in the cab. It will be a little cramped, but not too bad." Rachel looked over Lilith's shoulder, then nodded, urging Sheena to exit. Cassidy didn't seem pleased to be abandoned by her colleagues, but before she could argue, Stash picked her up and carried her to the seating area in the back. A moment later, the bell was pitched into the field and the transport pulled away again.

The next half bell was relaxing for the women in the cab now that Crush had slowed their pace to something more reasonable. Snuggled up together, hearing the monotone of the engine and feeling the rhythmic bumps of the road, all three were drifting toward sleep. A sudden bang behind them changed that in an instant, as Crush once again slowed the vehicle. "What the --" started Lilith, but she was interrupted by a loud, long, distinctly feminine moan.

Without waiting for direction, Crush pressed on the accelerator, resuming their trip home, this time accompanied by the sounds of random bangs and partially understandable exclamations. Whatever the two in the back were doing, it was loud and vigorous. Sheena had already blushed red, all the way to the roots of her pale blonde hair, and Lilith was at the point of plugging her ears when she heard Crush humming. "What's that you're singing?" she asked, hoping for a distraction.

"Oh, just an old tune that the two in the back reminded me of," the Adam replied with a lopsided grin, his voice rough and uneven.

"Why don't you sing it for us? It can't be any worse than listening to them."

"Ma'am, it's not exactly the kind of song for polite company, if you know what I mean."

"Which song?" Rachel asked.

Crush spared her a sideways glance, then returned his eyes to the road. "Well, I don't know that it has a name. It's about a... working girl."

Rachel smiled knowingly, and in a voice high and clear -- and entirely off-tune -- sang,

"Do you know Rachel, so fair and so fine?

She's the cheapest, the deepest, trick you can find.

Once you know 'er, you can show 'er, a fucking good time,

But don't ya touch her, or I'll cut yer, cause she's totally mine.

Crush joined in for the last line, his singing voice even worse than Rachel's, then slapped his thigh in amusement, laughing loudly.

"Where did you learn a song like that?" Lilith asked Rachel in astonishment.

"My late husband was in a ballsport club, which meant I spent a lot of time in bars. That one's pretty popular because the guys pass it around, each changing the name to a different girl. Sometimes they use it as a kind of pickup line, but I've also seen it start a few fights.

Another bang sounded, and Cassidy's voice cried out clearly, "Fuck me!"

"How about another song then?" Lilith suggested loudly, which had the others grinning; even Sheena seemed to be more at ease. For the next bell, Crush and Rachel traded back and forth between assorted ditties, shanties, and drinking songs, all of which were vulgar, obscene, or both. As they finally stepped out of the cab in the Courtyard, Lilith smiled up at Rachel. "I liked seeing this side of you, the relaxed, unguarded Rachel. You're always so serious, and I worry that I put too much on you."

"I'm happy, Lilith, even if it doesn't always show, but it is nice to be able to let my hair down sometimes," she finished with a smile, then led Sheena off to who knows where.

Lilith walked around the vehicle's front to talk with Crush, who was still sitting in his seat, waiting for the couple in the back to finish. "Thanks for keeping us safe," she said to him through the window, "and for teaching me some new, colorful words."

"Happy to help, ma'am," he croaked, once again wearing his lopsided smile.

As Lilith walked past the back of the vehicle, she banged on the side, calling loudly, "Hurry up in there -- we have a lot to discuss," then continued on toward her office.

Chapter 19

The day after her trip to the Vale, Cassidy's first conversation was with Cates, during which she directed him to ascertain where the Adams had gone, either confirming or disproving Rachel's hypothesis.

Second in the queue was Chief Constable Townes, who was told to begin making plans for a return visit.

The last conversation of the morning was with the man responsible for the district in which the Vale was situated. Jasper was his name -- either first or last -- and Cassidy held very little respect for him before the previous day's events, and even less afterward. When confronted, the man denied the situation, then pleaded ignorance. Next came deferral of blame and rationalization, followed eventually by anger toward the city and Cassidy herself. In the end, it amounted to nothing and the man was led away to a holding cell, to be tried once Cates' people had completed their investigation.

Three days later, reports started to come in.

The Adams had been sold or traded to Northern holdings, as Rachel inferred. Cates' investigators were aware of seventeen, but suspected there would be others in more remote towns or villages. Like the Adams, first generation descendants were being used for heavy manual labor. In only one of the localities were the missing treated as citizens, a small town called Renz, where three washouts from the same class had apparently made a proper home, complete with wives and children.

Jasper was tried and executed the same afternoon.

The following morning, Cassidy and a large entourage made their way back to the Vale. In addition to more than a hundred constables, including Chief Townes himself, she acquired the services of seven current or former Adams from Lilith. Where the police force was armed with belt knives and clubs, each of the Adams were given thick staves, half again as long as the tallest constable. Cassidy was also present during the confrontation.

Stash was once again acting as her personal bodyguard, despite the Meister trying to make him stay at the Complex -- with only two days until the fight with Marbelo, an injury would be catastrophic -- her arguments were exactly as effective as Lilith's had been.

"If you come out now," the Chief shouted, "we can talk through this peaceful-like. If I have to send my boys in after you, some heads are gonna get broke. You have to the top of the bell to decide."

As the head constable walked back to Cassidy, she raised her eyebrow, to which he shrugged. "Best to act tough with these rural villagers, but it won't matter. Nobody is going to come out."

Over the next bell, arguments could be heard from several buildings, but the Chief was correct in that no one exited. When he had judged that enough time had passed -- the town's bell had been removed, after all -- he stepped back in front of his officers. "Alright, boys, go get 'em," he called, triggering a sudden, astonishing flurry of activity.

The constables had been briefed collectively by the Chief and individually by their captains, so they were well aware of the parameters for the engagement. The Adams, meant to act primarily as a deterrent, had been chosen because they were the least aggressive; they had also been briefed thoroughly by Director Humbolt. Their collective discipline lasted even after the first shot was fired.

Cassidy heard something whistle by her shoulder and impact the door of the transport behind her, but didn't register what was happening until after Stash had already pulled her down, covering her body with his own. Four more shots sounded and Cassidy closed her eyes tightly. In the background, people were shouting, crying, screaming.

After a couple hundred beats, when it became apparent that there would be no more gunfire, Cassidy pushed Stash until he let her sit, then gave him a kiss and an appreciative smile. "Thank you." Rising to her feet, she found the Chief standing where he had been, unphased, giving directions as various constables ran up to provide reports. "Chief?"

"One moment, ma'am," he responded as another constable raced forward to receive instructions. The task done, he turned to the Meister. "You're unhurt?"

"I am. What happened?"

He turned and pointed at the largest of the buildings in front of them. "Somebody shot at us -- most probably you, actually -- from the first floor window: you can see where the glass was broken out. It was a single shot weapon."

"What about the other bangs?"

"It appears they had five guns in total. The other four shot at my men as they breached the house. Actually, three did; the fourth blew up when it was fired."

"Your men?"

"One dead, three more injured. One of the Adams was also struck by something when the gun was fired, but it appears to be a superficial wound."

Cassidy sighed. "I would be willing to bet that the ones with the guns were old guys with long hair."

The Chief made a noncommittal gesture. "Could be, but I haven't received the details yet. All of the survivors from that building are being segregated from the others," he said, pointing past the fountain to where a small group were sitting on the ground, surrounded by constables; the rest of the villagers were being gathered on the near side of the fountain, so far about thirty, but the number was steadily increasing.

"Some of the villagers were killed?"

"I'm reluctant to say, ma'am, because things are still happening. If you give me a quarter bell, I will be able to give you a full situation report."

Cassidy was not happy about the non-answer, but she decided not to push at the moment. "Alright, Chief, when you're ready. I'm going to go talk with the people that shot at me. Any objections?"

Townes hesitated for a moment, then shook his head and Cassidy headed off, followed closely by Stash. "I'm not sure he thinks this is a good idea," the Adam offered.

"He's a good man, and a good leader, but he's a perfectionist: needs everything lined up just so. I want to figure out what's going on right now."

"So, you're impatient?"

Cassidy coasted to a stop, glaring up at Stash. "When did you get so cheeky?"

He smirked back at her. "You started relaxing around me, which makes it easier to relax around you. You're just seeing the real me."

The Meister made a sour face, then resumed walking. "When this mess is done with, you and I are going to have a talk."

"Yes, Dear," he replied casually, causing Cassidy to stumble and almost fall.

"Not funny."

"Was, too."

Cassidy took in a big breath and let it out. "A long talk," she said, pointing her finger toward his chest, then continued on. To herself she said, 'You might be in love with a twelve year old trapped in an Adam's body -- what the hell are you supposed to do now?' She still hadn't answered the question, rhetorical as it was, by the time she approached the ring of miserable figures that was her objective.

"Roland," she said energetically, addressing the village's Speaker, who was slumped over in the dirt, "might I assume it was you that shot at me?" The man was barely conscious and was wearing quite a lot of blood, both on his face and along his side. "Never mind, we'll work it out.

"Hello, Everyone," she said to the others, looking at each in turn.

"Bart, it's good to see you again. How have you been?" The young man shouted an obscenity defiantly, holding up his chin; Cassidy nodded. "Good, good, glad to hear it. You'll be happy to know that Sheena is doing well. Director Frazier took her on as her assistant and the two seem to get along quite well." The man tried to surge to his feet, but was checked by two different constables who grabbed his shoulders and pulled him back. The struggle was accompanied by a sob from under a waterfall of dirty blonde hair.

"Esther, is that you in there?" asked Cassidy, squatting down to be closer to eye level. After a short pause, the blonde head nodded and Cassidy pushed the hair back from the younger woman's tear stained face. "Let's take a walk and I'll tell you what's going to happen."

"Don't you --" managed Bart before he was cuffed in the side of the head, effectively stopping his exclamation, be it protest or threat.

"Come on," encouraged Cassidy, holding out her hand. "Nobody is going to hurt you anymore." The young woman looked up into Cassidy's big blue eyes, and after more hesitation, reached out to take the hand.

Cassidy led Esther over to the fountain where the woman washed her face and pulled fingers through her hair; all the while, Cassidy told her about how Sheena was doing in the Complex, the types of things she was learning, and what her life was like. She also recounted what the younger sister had told them. "May I see your legs?" Esther nodded reluctantly and slid her pant leg up, exposing dozens of horizontal marks on the back. Cassidy nodded sadly. "Will you help us sort out this mess?"

Esther nodded again, eyes down.

"Did you know the town was selling the Adams?"

"Not--" Esther cleared her throat and tried again. "Not until after you were here last time, and only then because I listened through a doorway. I got caught and they gave me ten stripes."

"Rachel -- Director Frazier, that is -- said she didn't think Bart knew, but he's acting a lot different toward me now."

"He's scared," Esther said pleadingly, "please don't hurt him. He only just found out, too. That's what they were doing when I got caught: telling him and a couple others what they do with the giants."

"Giants," said Stash, chuckling, "I like that."

"Hush," scolded Cassidy without turning around. "Esther, are there others here that I can trust to tell me the truth -- people like you? I don't just mean your friends or people you like; people will live or die based on what I'm told."

Esther nodded vigorously. "Our town is full of wonderful people. Only the elders and a few others know about the..." she trailed off.

"Giants," Stash supplied helpfully, to which the woman nodded, embarrassed.

"I'm glad to hear that. Point them out to me and Stash will go bring them over, okay?" Esther nodded and took a steadying breath, then surveyed the villagers. Her gaze quickly skipped over the segregated group. From the main body, now more than fifty in number, she pointed out a woman, then another, then a man, and so on. In total, Stash escorted five women and two men back to talk with Cassidy; Esther looked to be among the oldest, and upon closer inspection, one of the men was a boy in his late teens. "None of the older folks?"

"I... don't know for certain and you said it was important I be sure."

Cassidy smiled and nodded, then addressed the group, explaining why she had returned with the constables. She also made it clear that they wouldn't need to be afraid of reprisals, from the elders or anyone else, for speaking with her. The man in his early twenties refused to meet Cassidy's eyes, so she sent him away, along with a woman who seemed overeager.

Looking to the Chief, Cassidy saw that he was unoccupied for the moment and waved him over. A brief introduction was provided and Townes was brought up to speed in front of the group. "Chief, the formal trials will start tomorrow, but until then, I want you to assume that what this group says is the absolute truth. I want the family heads locked up, isolated from one another. The same goes for everyone in that group over there," she said, indicating the smaller ring of villagers.

"Don't worry, Esther, everyone will have a chance to explain themselves. For now, it's best if we keep Bart and the others apart." The young woman took a shuddering breath and nodded.

"There's something else, Chief. The town uses some kind of fucked up discipline -- excuse my language, please -- to keep people in line. Esther, please show Chief Townes your leg." Again, the marks were revealed.

Chief Constable Townes had a long list of unpleasant experiences to draw upon from both his personal and private lives, and this was not the worst he had seen, but he agreed wholeheartedly with the Meister that it was definitely fucked up. "All of you were treated this way?" He received nods, and then the young villagers began showing him their legs as well.

The teenaged boy displayed marks even worse than the others, with one particularly nasty gash still oozing thick yellow puss. "I don't listen so well," he explained with a proud smirk.

"Good man," Townes said, patting his shoulder, then waved over two of his captains that were talking together. As the they trotted over, he addressed the group again. "Captain Pryor and Captain Lyons are good men, and they'll listen to what you have to say. Be open and honest with them, and we'll get this mess sorted out quickly. If any of you have issues that you want to discuss individually, come see me."

"Or me," added Cassidy.

Townes stepped away to explain the situation to his captains, and in a hundred beats,the two men had taken over while Cassidy and Townes walked together back to the transports. "So, what's the damage?"

"A second constable died from his gunshot wound; the others that were injured are already on their way back to the city. In the building that caused us the most trouble, two of the villagers were killed when the gun exploded. Two more were put down pretty hard because they came at us with knives. Otherwise, there are bruises and scrapes and a broken leg where one of them fell out a window trying to run away."

123456...8