Alice

Story Info
A brother's vow is her undoing.
26k words
4.76
88.5k
145
26
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Alice knew that taking the children of nobles and foreign royalty was a common practice, they were used as assurances that their parents behaved and kept the king's interest at heart. Her problem wasn't with the practice, it was a normal and even customary thing. Her problem was that she had been chosen. Her parents had four sons and she was the only girl. It was normal to take the oldest boys, not the daughters. Daughters were only taken when there were no sons. She still could not understand why the Captain had come for her.

She glanced at him again across from her in the carriage and his fearsome scowl. He was older, older even than her father, but still young enough to be dangerous. A lifetime soldier. She had seen the type, her father's own Captain was the same way, but he smiled more than this man. Maybe he wasn't so fearsome as he seemed?

"Captain, do you have a name?" she asked softly.

He turned from the window to look at her, looking her over once, then turning to look out the window again. "Captain Avery."

"Captain Avery, do you know why I was chosen over my brothers?"

"I do."

"Can you tell me?"

"I could if I wanted to."

"Will you?"

"It is well known your father dotes on you, adores you more than all of his sons combined. His highness would have sent for the youngest boy if your father hadn't overreached so far, trying to gain controlling interest in Miovia and Peretnon. Where he well knows Lucana has a controlling interest and wishes to keep it that way. He tried to be deceitful, use proxies. Taking you was a slap on the wrist for your father.

Many of the wards at the castle are allowed freedom to move about, they know their place and do not balk in their duties. Some few have to be contained. Will you be one of those?"

"No Captain, of course not. I know what happens if a ward tries to flee. We have been traveling for three days, how much further is it?"

"Not much. We will make port before nightfall and then sail to Lucana. It will take a day on the sea with fair weather."

"Thank you for answering my questions Captain."

He nodded graciously and turned back to the window. After a moment, he spoke again. "You don't speak like a Lady. No demands, no haughty demeanor. I have noticed it about you, how polite you are. Even to the servants when we stop at inns. There aren't many ward's like that in Lucana, you might have a rough time with them if you let them roll you over."

"I can deal with nobles, Captain," she said tiredly. "I give what I get, no matter who it is. Are there truly so many ward's?"

"There are. So many that there is a sort of school set up for the wards alone. Again, you may find trouble with them, they are clannish and most of them... their blood is not so blue as your own. They may see you, a princess in your own right, as someone to hold a grudge against."

"As I said Captain, I can deal with other nobles well enough. Though... you do realize I am no longer being tutored? I will not be attending classes with them?"

"Aren't you?" he asked, surprised.

"No Captain, I am almost nineteen."

"And not married?"

"No, as your King noted, I am my father's favorite. He wasn't willing to give me up to just anyone."

"Did he have lofty plans for you?"

"No," she smiled. "He said I would never have to marry for power. My brothers all would, but I would know happiness. I would marry for love."

"A lovely sentiment, but after a year in Lucana, he may change his mind. A married child cannot be a ward. He may have someone lined out for you when your year is up, just to keep you from having to come back."

"Is it so terrible a place that he might think he has to save me in such a way?"

"Lucana is at war, Lady. Your father is a foreigner, he doesn't know where the warfront is, how far from the capitol the front line is, he only knows we are at war. With Paratuse, no less."

"It is said that the Prince's are known to stay on the front lines and fight in the larger battles, and even leading some skirmishes. Is that the truth, or an embellishment?"

"There is some truth to it, Lady. Prince Havilan stays close to battle. He is a born fighter, and wild as they come. A true berserker in battle."

"He is the oldest?"

"Yes. He was quite the child, it was said his mother tried to refuse to have more children after him. Malcolm was a bit better, a bit more mild. He also stays close to the battle, but unlike his brother, he has more of a strategic mind. He stays back with the Generals and plans the battles."

"And the youngest?"

"He is the mildest of the three, but still a bit wild. He stays closer to home. I hear your own brother was conscripted to go fight with Malcolm?"

"He was. Jude is a good fighter, I suppose. Of all my brothers, he is the only one to show an interest in warfare. He also likes the strategy of it. Liam loves his music, Blaine loves his art and Lowry loves his girls."

"And you?"

"I love... many things. My books. Animals. Art. Dancing. Sitting in the garden with my ladies and gossiping while we do needlepoint."

"You may be too gentle a soul for Lucana," he said, almost sadly.

The weather did not hold for their sea voyage and it took three long days instead of one. Alice did not do well at all in the cabin of the ship, with the constant rising and falling and rolling of the large boat. She kept nothing down and was miserable the entire time. By the time they reached port, she was weak from not having eaten or drinking anything for days.

There was no reception at the castle, she was quietly carried into a room on the 'ward' wing and left there alone. Late evening came and finally a girl came in with a tray. She was young and sweet looking with rosy cheeks and a bright smile.

"Oh, hello little one!" she said brightly. "I'm Leona. Captain Avery picked me special to be your servant! Oh, you are a lovely little thing, aren't you? So pale though! Here drink all this broth. Avery said you was sick on the voyage. We'll get you fixed right up!"

"Thank you Leona," Alice answered with a forced smile. She was finally hungry and the broth smelled amazing. "Did they say when I should present myself?"

"Captain Avery said he'd be along in the morning. I'll get your clothes put away and cleaned for you and something nice all laid out for you. Seven trunks! My! We may have to get you another wardrobe!" she laughed nervously.

"My father loves to get me dresses," Alice explained, pink cheeked.

"Oh, I understand! When I was still little, my mother loved to make me dresses and make me look like a doll!"

"I'm almost nineteen," Alice answered, trying not to be offended. She was sort of used to it.

"Oh, my Lady! I am so sorry, I beg forgiveness!"

"Don't fret, it's fine. There is a blue silk with silver trim I would like to wear in the morning. It should be on the darkest trunk. The white trunk holds my underthings and nightclothes, and the pine trunk holds my shoes. One trunk holds a few books, my art things, my sewing, and a few other things that I will unpack myself. My jewelry is also in the dark trunk with my nicer dresses. The green trunk holds my everyday dresses. Just set my jewelry box on the vanity. I would like a bath tonight after I am done eating. Is that the bathing chamber there?"

"Yes my Lady," she answered quickly, nervously.

Alice smiled at the girl who looked terrified now. "Truly, Leona, it's fine. Don't give it a second thought. You aren't the first and you won't be the last. Captain Avery chose you because he knew we'd be fast friends. My name is Alice and I would like for you to call me Alice, or even Ally as some of my friends call me."

The girl relaxed some and smiled a bit, but she was still nervous until Aice asked her about all the fun gossip while Leona was washing her hair in the bath. The girl loosened up completely after that, telling her about all the most fun gossip. Alice didn't know any of the people Leona told her about, but she knew gossip always made girls, servants especially, relax.

By morning, Leona was the same smiling, happy girl who had bounced in the night before. Alice wasn't nervous about being presented to the king, or paraded in front of the court. She had grown up at court and she knew better than to show fear or weakness. She also knew that servants made the best and most loyal friends.

When she stepped out of her chambers with Captain Avery and into the large common room at the end of the wing, there were a great many hard stares in her direction. The other wards ranged from preteens to young men and women who had to be in their twenties. The older wards gave her the hardest stares, then some immediately dismissed her. The few who didn't were the ones who actually knew who she was and knew that her size was not indicative of her age at all.

She lifted her chin and gave the barest of nods as she passed the lords and ladies, dukes and duchesses and other more minor nobles. The few who knew who she was gave her larger nods and a few emulated them, sensing that she was due more than a nod. One younger girl gave her a deep curtsy and Alice stopped and smiled at the girl.

"Hello Maisy. I had heard you may still be here."

"I am, Princess, it's my second year!"

"It's just Ally here, Maisy. It's good to see a friendly face, we will have to catch up when I return."

"I have classes," the girl said sulkily. "I won't be free until after dinner."

"After dinner then," Alice said with a smile and hugged the girl close. Maisy was nine, but almost the same size now, Alice noted in surprise. The last time she had seen her, she had been a head shorter.

The walk into the throne room was much less tense and less eventful. The king hardly looked at her, just glanced, then gave Captain Avery a nod. Captain Avery led her right back out. None of the gathered nobles had looked twice at her and she knew why. She was fine with that. She would learn all about them later.

Captain Avery left her at her door, then wished her luck before turning and heading back the way he had come. Alice let Leona help her change into one of her everyday dresses, then told her she was going to have a walk around the grounds.

The grounds were expansive and sprawling. She saw no less than four gardens with ladies walking and talking clusters, sitting and sewing or sitting and having tea and cakes. She passed them all by from a distance, noting them but not approaching any of them. Not yet. She found the kennels and played with the dogs for a few moments before moving on to the stables and looking over the horses.

It became her routine for the next few days. As soon as the others had gone to their classes, she would take a long tour of the grounds. She avoided the older wards who did not attend classes, not wanting to get enmeshed in court politics yet. She wanted a better feel for the place before she allowed herself to get swayed by the wrong group.

She did hear whispers of the war though, and a great many troubling rumors about how close it was getting. That was unsettling, but most of the gossip she heard was from grooms in the stables and servants.

She spent a good deal of time in the stables, brushing horses and staying back out of the way just listening. The older men there knew all the comings and goings of everyone and they talked to each other pretty openly about it. She was good at staying out of sight and invisible to older people. They assumed they saw something they didn't when they saw her and she didn't correct them.

The fifth day, she heard something that made her anxious and she slipped closer to listen better. There was an empty stall just on the other side of the two men talking and she slipped in quietly.

"... hasn't been back for a full three weeks, his Majesty is about to send for him. Prince Malcolm either. They both aint been seen since the news came down."

"Mark my words, Haviland will haul them both back here in a day or two at most and then..." the man trailed off as the door opened and a horse was led in.

Alice was a little stressed now. Both Princes had disappeared? What news? Was there a major battle?

The stall door opened and a tall young man started to lead a horse in, but stopped when he saw her. She froze, both alarmed and embarrassed at having been caught eavesdropping. "Hello," the man said softly, grinning. "Skipping out on classes?"

"No sir," she answered quietly, hoping he would take her for someone else and let her leave quietly.

"Hiding from someone?"

"No... umm. I was... I like the horses, the hounds too. I spend most my time with them... that one there," she said, pointing to the sorrel he had on a rope, "She likes carrots more than apples and scratched just under her jaw."

"She does," he agreed, smiling again. He had a nice smile, his brown eyes sparkling. She realized she was staring up at him and his beautiful eyes and made herself look away.

"I... she also has a swollen fetlock on her right rear leg. I meant to have a look and see if it was worse or not..."

"I took her for a walk to check on her. It's getting better. She also likes oats if you want to go get her a scoop," he offered, moving out of her way.

She hurried to get a scoop of oats and brought it back to feed her. The man watched her as he rubbed down the horse and she glanced at him, her cheeks burning.

"Your coloring. You're from Lonai?"

"I am," she answered, blushing again.

He nodded and went back to brushing.

"How long have you been a groom here?" she asked, wanting to hear him speak again, wanting to see that sparkle in his eyes.

His mouth was also perfect when he spoke, his lips full and beautiful when he smiled. He looked at her a moment, his head canted, then shrugged. "Not long. How long have you been a ward here?"

"Also not long," she answered, blushing again.

He grinned and came around, handing her a carrot to give the sorrel. The horse at it greedily and nuzzled Alice's cheek before huffing and searching her hands for more carrots.

Alice smiled up at the animal. "No more you greedy thing!" she teased, scratching her jaw.

"You are good with her. Are you good with all horses or have you bonded with Milly?"

"Umm. Most animals like me, I guess."

"Do you ride?"

"I do."

"She should be healed just fine by tomorrow and you weigh hardly anything at all. Would you like to ride out on her tomorrow? With me?"

Alice looked up at him, terrified. She wanted to say yes, she would have loved to say yes, but she was afraid he didn't realize who she was, or how old she was. Did he think he was being nice to a child who loved horses, or was he asking a young lady to ride out with him?

"I... I... I would like to... but..."

"But? I am a groom and it wouldn't be appropriate?"

"No! No... it's not that... wait. You know who I am?"

"I assume you are Princess Alice? The only ward here from Lonai? Am I off my mark?"

"No... I was just afraid... I thought..."

"That I didn't know you were a princess? Or that I didn't know you were eighteen? You're small, but not so small that I couldn't see you were a lady and not a child. So, Princess, is that a no?"

"No! I mean, yes. Yes, I would like to ride out with your tomorrow... and I am just Alice. Or Ally. My close friends call me Ally."

"Ally. It's nice to meet you, my close friends call me Hunter."

"That is... uncommon. I've not heard that name?"

He grinned again. "It suits me. After breakfast?"

"Yes, I will be here," she answered with a tremulous smile, then left. She pressed her hands to her stomach the whole way back to the ward wing, trying to still the butterflies. She also could not stop smiling. Hunter was so sweet! And beautiful! She had to find something perfect to wear!

She was so distracted, she walked right into the large dayroom full of the other wards. She had avoided them almost completely until now.

"She finally deems us worthy to grace us with her presence," a tall boy snorted, putting his book down and standing.

"Is it true you are a Princess?" another girl asked, also standing.

"Are you really eighteen?" a boy asked, he couldn't be more than fourteen himself.

"You smell like horse shit," another boy sneered, moving away from her.

A tall girl approached her, looking down her nose. "I am Lady Olivia DuVore. You are from Lonai? A backwards, primitive place so I have been told. Do you really worship heathen gods and not the one true Oshonna?"

Alice took in a deep breath, looking around at all of them as her mood fell. She managed to smile, but only barely. "Hello. I am Alice. Yes I am from Lonai, yes I am eighteen, yes I am considered a Princess, but I will never wear the crown. I did just come from the stables, I like horses. Some people from Lonai worship the earth deities, but personally, I do not. Lonai is no more primitive than any other place, we are just different. Excuse me please, I was going to wash up before supper."

"Eat with us," a stocky boy said, standing and crossing his massive arms. "You haven't joined us for a single meal yet. Are you too good for us?"

"No... I was just trying to get a feel for the place first. I didn't want to drop into politics, maneuverings and machinations I knew nothing about. I will join you all for dinner, thank you for the invitation."

She left in a hurry to get into a bath, excited to tell Leona about Hunter.

"Oh, I have heard there's a new groom!" she said, her eyes going starry. "Is he truly handsome?"

"Beautiful even. And so sweet! And his smile..." Alice sighed happily and sunk down into the tub dreamily. "I will want my best riding dress. It's the dark green one with the cream colored accents."

"Oh, that green will look lovely against your pale skin! And I will do your hair up off your neck, you will look a sight!"

Alice smiled, then her smile dissolved. "Leona? I have to join the others for supper this evening. How long do I have?"

"Oh! Not long! I will lay you out a dress if you can dry yourself?"

"Of course, go ahead!"

When she was finally ready and heading to her door, she felt more stressed than she had when walking into the throne room. She opened it and froze. There was a tallish young man leaning on the wall across from her door, as if waiting on her. He stood off the wall when she opened the door. He looked her over and she realized he hadn't been out there earlier when she had come in. She would have noticed him with his jet black hair and bright blue eyes.

"Hello," he said softly. "Maisy said you were a sweet girl. Nice and not one to put on airs. She told me quite a bit about you."

"I... She is a sweet girl, but I do not know her well. She was at my father's court briefly before she was taken as a ward here. I am Alice?"

"John," he said simply. She could tell he was a quiet boy, the kind of boy who stayed back and watched, not speaking a lot unless he had something real to say. "I thought I might walk you to supper, if I may?"

"Of course." she answered, taking his proffered arm.

"Maisy said you were guileless and not one for maneuvering and games," he continued, walking slowly.

"She said that?" Alice asked, confused.

"Not in so many words, but yes. The stories she told painted you in that light."

"I see. I do not know if I am guileless, I can hold my own. I would like to say I am not one for games, but I do enjoy light gossip and fun."

"I wanted to... warn you against some few of the others. Some few who rail hard against being here and even seek to... subvert the..."

"John!" the tall boy from earlier said jovially. "You came to join us for supper? Two of you, we really are in for a treat!" he said acidly, then walked past them and hurried down the hall.

Probably to tell the others. She didn't like that boy much at all.

"I wanted to let you know you should avoid him... and a few others. Olivia. Their cronies."